{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Only one game,but....

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Only one game,but....

Postby Dibble » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:06 pm

Having been to today's game I can't help but think we are going to be let down in the goal scoring department this season. I think we are desperately short of quality and class necessary to justify making us favorites for the league. With the third lowest goal scoring record in the division last season it was blatantly obvious where we needed to do the big business for this season and it has failed to materialize. Whatever the rights or wrongs of letting Green leave we have no better replacement and no "Hylton" or "Maquis" type of quality striker for other teams to fear or win us games against the run of play like the top teams tend to have. Very pleased with the quality of the other signings made can't help believing Mr Evans has come unstuck in the striker department big time. No quality, no class up front. I hope I am proved wrong.
Dibble
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Only one game,but....

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:08 pm

Evans will know that, the CEO is working on it, so i guess we wait and see
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby sw19stag » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:14 pm

You're spot on mate.
sw19stag
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:38 pm

One pre season friendly, against a team that narrowly missed out on the premiership and you think we won't get enough goals? We wouldn't have lost if it wasn't for Slew's error :lol:

A lot of people are going to be very disappointed if a player who scored 20 goals doesn't sign... despite all the brilliant players brought in so far. Time is ticking and there aren't many of them around for reasonable cash
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby grufti » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:48 pm

I disagree, given the rest of the squad I think we'll find the four we have will deliver enough. Plymouth's top scorer got 14, Portsmouth and Blackpool's 13. Only Donny had a 20+ goalscorer. We don't have to have a 20+ scorer and we might have one anyway, I think Angol will be there or thereabouts and we'll score plenty from elsewhere.
Up The Stags
grufti
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:58 pm

It was an early pre-season friendly, a training session not a match. You can't tell much from these games without knowing what the manager was looking at.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby JAMES9002 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:40 am

Thing is you can get by on not having a top top striker (for our level) if goals are being scored by players in all positions. Mansfield's problem the past couple of years is we got very few goals outside of the strikers and they weren't reliable either.

Most teams that get promoted will have a fair few goals scored by midfielders and defenders.
JAMES9002
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:59 am

Dibble wrote:Having been to today's game I can't help but think we are going to be let down in the goal scoring department this season. I think we are desperately short of quality and class necessary to justify making us favorites for the league. With the third lowest goal scoring record in the division last season it was blatantly obvious where we needed to do the big business for this season and it has failed to materialize. Whatever the rights or wrongs of letting Green leave we have no better replacement and no "Hylton" or "Maquis" type of quality striker for other teams to fear or win us games against the run of play like the top teams tend to have. Very pleased with the quality of the other signings made can't help believing Mr Evans has come unstuck in the striker department big time. No quality, no class up front. I hope I am proved wrong.

We scored 2 goals against a solid Championship side. Surely that's a good sign.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:29 am

Hilarious thread.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:52 am

Some of our fans are coming across as spoilt and seriously ungrateful at the moment, in fact have been for a while now.

We've seen the biggest investment and addition of quality to our sqaud, probably ever, certainly in the last few decades and yet still people are moaning on because we haven't signed 1 of only a couple of strikers who scored 20+ last season.

Lets wait and see how we get on. We have a number of different forward options and a probably the best midfield and midfield options of any club at this level. Goals will come...
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:11 am

I was more bothered that we conceded 3 very preventable goals.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:03 am

500K set aside to find that striker. Truth.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:23 am

As pointed out, Portsmouth, Blackpool and plymouth didn't have this 25 goal a season striker and they went up... Barnet also had a man who did score a lot and they didnt do anything.

I can see Danny Rose having his first big haul season and getting about 17/18 goals if he plays 40 matches. Hes going to get some goals on plate thanks to our wingers.

We played against a near premiership side so I wouldn't take much from it. Also in league two the guy who finishes with close to 30 goals and wins the golden boot is often someone who has never scored that many anywhere else before, so wait and see. We might also sign Akinde or someone and he might never do it again.

The whole squad has improved and they know what they can achieve. Lets support them and make sure field mill is a place to fear coming to!
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Kenwood » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:32 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:500K set aside to find that striker. Truth.

I don't doubt that, it just seems the football market has gone particularly mad this year and 500k might not get you what you thought it would? with clubs putting stupid asking prices on some players who have too date only scored goals in league 2.. Akinde, Godden, Marquis etc..
Kenwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby chip63 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:48 am

We need to make our own striker not buy one. A great partnership upfront is worth more than a solo hitnan.
Surprised we didn't get more out of greeny.
chip63
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:02 am

Chip63,

When Murray left Greens mind left with him.

I expect to see a new Green this season playing off Rhead at Lincoln.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:56 am

As others have said, lots of teams go up without a 20 goal striker - I'd think more than actually have one.

Last season, Godden, Akinde, Hylton and Collins all scored lots in teams that didn't go up.

As great as another striker will be, I think we already have enough as a squad to make the automatics.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 am

Totally agree. I'm sure the Lincoln fans will love him. They could be the best partnership upfront this season.
I'm sure we will get it right. The supply will be there.
chip63
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby kyle b » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:55 am

Oh god. We've just played against a team that narrowly missed out on going to the premier league. The class between the 2 sides was clear to see. The supply will be there from the likes of Atkinson Anderson and mellis who I thought looked fantastic. Angol and rose will score goals against league 2 defences. One pre season friendly down. And folk are slating already I give up
kyle b
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Sneag wrote:I was more bothered that we conceded 3 very preventable goals.

So was I.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:10 pm

2 involved fantastic movement by players far far above our league. The other was from a foolish backheel then an uncontrollable pass back from a trailist. Nothing to see here.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Learned very little yesterday, but there's nothing to panic about. Humpty will have a clearer idea of his first team regulars by the end of this week, and by then the players will be more aware of each other's style of play. Individually, we have players that are more capable than some of Murray's squad at the start of last season.
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum