{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

PSF's - All wrong?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

PSF's - All wrong?

Postby Vice President » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Have you noticed how all clubs' pre-season friendlies are against teams from either a higher or a lower league - but never from the same league!
If you think about it, that's crazy!
(a) What do we learn if we lose to a team from a higher league?
(b) What do we learn if we beat a team from a lower league?
(c) What could we learn from a performance and result against a team in the same league?
It amazes me that all clubs don't arrange pre-season friendlies against teams in the same league to give them a proper 'heads-up'.

I'm not expecting much of a debate here. But if you were the manager - wouldn't you want to explore option (C) pre-season?
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: PSF's - All wrong?

Postby robda1st » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Because pre season is about fitness and trying things out. Results mean nothing and you can't read to much into it so you might as well play teams that might attract some fans(bigger teams) and build up links with smaller local clubs.

Plus as a fan id rather see clipstone v stags then say Morecambe v sags when it doesn't really matter
robda1st
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Lets play chesterfield and county and get all our players crocked...

Pre-season is about focusing on yourself, not what everyone else is doing. Learn about fitness, get players drilled into knowing their positions and tactics etc.

Play lower league teams to practise possession and attacking play. Play tougher opposition to work on off the ball things and defending... thats how i see it.

You lean what needs to be done against the teams in your division when the season starts.
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:30 pm

the games in England were carefully chosen. I think we tried to get a game against Solihull but it didn't work out.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sheffieldstag » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:24 pm

I cannot believe that any Manager would want to play a team in the same league in pre-season. It gives me chance for the opposition to find out easily how you play, a chance to 'accidently' injure a players, plus gives the winning side a boost when you play them again.
Sheffieldstag
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:44 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Lets play chesterfield and county and get all our players crocked...

Pre-season is about focusing on yourself, not what everyone else is doing. Learn about fitness, get players drilled into knowing their positions and tactics etc.

Play lower league teams to practise possession and attacking play. Play tougher opposition to work on off the ball things and defending... thats how i see it.

You lean what needs to be done against the teams in your division when the season starts.

Nail on the head, no more needs to be said!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:59 pm

Also don't forget there are always teams who arrange a friendly & then get drawn against each other in the league cup then cancel the friendly.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:06 am

Didn't that happen to us last season or the season before?? Blackburn?
Birminghamstag10
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby SINA STAG » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:26 am

Teams against a higher placed team is for revenue n to see n get to know new players
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Bristolstag » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:27 pm

I would have preferred games against league one opposition.

We've taken so many gambles with the incoming players , I'd would be good to see us against teams of the level we should be aiming for. Games against Rotherham, Doncaster and Northampton would have still sold tickets.
Bristolstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:50 pm

Bristolstag wrote:I would have preferred games against league one opposition.

We've taken so many gambles with the incoming players , I'd would be good to see us against teams of the level we should be aiming for. Games against Rotherham, Doncaster and Northampton would have still sold tickets.

what players are gambles??
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Fitzy499 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:57 pm

We are playing games against teams at the level we are aiming for.....championship
Fitzy499
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Vice President » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Fitzy499 wrote:

We are playing games against teams at the level we are aiming for.....championship

We have to get out of league 2 first. This team was not put together to compete in the championship.
I guess we will only find out how good this team really is after the season has started - and after the transfer window has closed.
Personally, I think we have signed some good players in defence & midfield. However, I believe that we have failed badly in signing the strikers we need.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum