{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Checkatrade trophy groups

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Checkatrade trophy groups

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Bros wrote:Do we know when the games are being played. Also I believe Everton are one of 2 teams we have never played in a competitive match so that will only leave Man U from the top 4 divisions. How many other teams can claim that.

it is only Everton academy side, so does not count as playing Everton unfortunately.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bros » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Will they have played FGR?
Bros
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Kernow » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:59 pm

They won in the FA Cup at the One Call in 2009.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Calstag » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Kernow wrote:They won in the FA Cup at the One Call in 2009.

Who FGR ?
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:18 pm

Dan wrote:I would imagine Swansea, Northampton & Notts County have all played them too.

Swansea have never played Forest Green Rovers. Northampton and County have played them in Cup games and as per previous comment on Oxford and Luton, they have played FGR in non-league games. A lot of the Premier League teams will not have played some of the 'newer' teams like Fleetwood,Crawley, MK Done, AFC Wimbledon, etc.
halifaxstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stockportstag » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:08 pm

We played Man Utd in a Youth Cup game in 1987. Man Utd had a guy called Wayne Bullimore in their team who came from Sutton in Ashfield.
I know it's not the first team, but it's the nearest we have been.
Stockportstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Stockportstag wrote:We played Man Utd in a Youth Cup game in 1987. Man Utd had a guy called Wayne Bullimore in their team who came from Sutton in Ashfield.

we also played a Manchester Utd XI in a friendly in 1983, see report here -->
http://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/ManUtd1983.htm

That did not count as a Manchester Utd first team though, just like the Everton Academy game won't.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Bros wrote:Do we know when the games are being played. Also I believe Everton are one of 2 teams we have never played in a competitive match so that will only leave Man U from the top 4 divisions. How many other teams can claim that.

it is only Everton academy side, so does not count as playing Everton unfortunately.

I reckon it counts. It's a competitive fixture involving our first team and a smattering of guys who've made appearances at Premiership level.

Now if we drew such as Everton in the League Cup or FA Cup in the 3rd round and they had 4-5 first teamers and a shed load of U23's wouldn't that be classed as a first team game?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Stockportstag » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Stockportstag wrote:We played Man Utd in a Youth Cup game in 1987. Man Utd had a guy called Wayne Bullimore in their team who came from Sutton in Ashfield.

we also played a Manchester Utd XI in a friendly in 1983, see report here -->
http://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/ManUtd1983.htm

That did not count as a Manchester Utd first team though, just like the Everton Academy game won't.

Sorry, wasn't thinking about friendly games
Stockportstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:36 pm

I played against Wayne Bullimore a few times on Sunday afternoon kick abouts on Sutton lawn, obviously before he signed for Man Utd.

If I remember correctly Stags won 2-1 at Man Utd :D I've got the programme, well more like a teamsheet.

A week or so later I was watching Liverpool (1st team) at Anfield and Stags beating Man Utd got a mention in the official programme :D
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

I reckon it counts. It's a competitive fixture involving our first team and a smattering of guys who've made appearances at Premiership level.

Now if we drew such as Everton in the League Cup or FA Cup in the 3rd round and they had 4-5 first teamers and a shed load of U23's wouldn't that be classed as a first team game?

EFL Trophy is a first team game for League One and League Two clubs. But not for the Academy teams.

FA Cup and League Cup games are first team games for all clubs, regardless of level, and regardless of which players they pick.

It would be possible for Everton to play more first team players in an EFL Trophy game than an FA Cup game, but unlikely I would have thought.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:47 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby groundhoppingstag » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:23 am

Although we've not played Man U, we have played a competitive 1st team fixture at Old Trafford before.
groundhoppingstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kernow » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:25 am

County home in league Saturday and away in Checkatade Tuesday night. Two in four days, plod will not be happy.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:33 am

Who cares this competition is a disgrace to the football league teams ! Boycott !
Norman
First Team
First Team

Postby grufti » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:40 am

Bully was a school mate of mine at Quarrydale, but more impressive was my old best mate from Primary school as well - Andy Marriott. He was England U16 Schoolboys keeper, played under Clough for Forest, including a League Cup Final (after being released by Arsenal as a 16/17 year old), and spent most of his career as Wrexham no. 1 and Sunderland no. 2. Quarrydale sent 2 players to Lilleshall that year, out of 24 in the whole of England, and another 2 years later - Craig Gaunt. Only Marriott really had a decent career though.

I played left back for Quarrydale, between Andy and Bully (Left Mid).
Up The Stags
grufti
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:05 am

The opportunity of a trip to Goodison Park might have been nice, but a home tie does give us the money. It's one of those very traditional big grounds steeped in history that are sadly becoming a thing of the past, and not one I've been to.
Birminghamstag10
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:10 am

Birminghamstag10 wrote:The opportunity of a trip to Goodison Park might have been nice, but a home tie does give us the money. It's one of those very traditional big grounds steeped in history that are sadly becoming a thing of the past, and not one I've been to.

I would urge you to visit before they move to a new ground, it's one of the best 'old' grounds still around.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:25 pm

grufti wrote:

Bully was a school mate of mine at Quarrydale, but more impressive was my old best mate from Primary school as well - Andy Marriott. He was England U16 Schoolboys keeper, played under Clough for Forest, including a League Cup Final (after being released by Arsenal as a 16/17 year old), and spent most of his career as Wrexham no. 1 and Sunderland no. 2. Quarrydale sent 2 players to Lilleshall that year, out of 24 in the whole of England, and another 2 years later - Craig Gaunt. Only Marriott really had a decent career though.

Was about to write something similar about Quarrydale, I must have been a couple of years below you as I played at the side of Craig at Quarrydale (his Dad Jon Gaunt had a lot to do with County). He also went to Arsenal after Lilleshall but I think dropped out of the league pretty quickly, and was playing around the Conference/NPL. He literally won most of our school games single-handedly, and got us to the final of the schools cup where we got beat 1-0 by Garibaldi at Field Mill - their goal was scored by Paul Shaw who I think went on to play youth team for us. Kris Commons was also a few years younger, and not forgetting Steve Ogrizovic too.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Dan wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:The opportunity of a trip to Goodison Park might have been nice, but a home tie does give us the money. It's one of those very traditional big grounds steeped in history that are sadly becoming a thing of the past, and not one I've been to.

I would urge you to visit before they move to a new ground, it's one of the best 'old' grounds still around.

Yeah i like seeing games there on the TV. Villa Park is another similar type of old ground.
Birminghamstag10
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:11 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby groundhoppingstag » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:22 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
grufti wrote:

Was about to write something similar about Quarrydale, I must have been a couple of years below you as I played at the side of Craig at Quarrydale (his Dad Jon Gaunt had a lot to do with County). He also went to Arsenal after Lilleshall but I think dropped out of the league pretty quickly, and was playing around the Conference/NPL. He literally won most of our school games single-handedly, and got us to the final of the schools cup where we got beat 1-0 by Garibaldi at Field Mill - their goal was scored by Paul Shaw who I think went on to play youth team for us. Kris Commons was also a few years younger, and not forgetting Steve Ogrizovic too.

Ex Mansfield and Plymouth centre half Adie Burrows also went to Quarrydale in the 1970's
groundhoppingstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:04 pm

:)

:mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum