{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Green & Palmer sign for Lincoln

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Green & Palmer sign for Lincoln

Postby tmwilson » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:44 am

How do we know that the standards will improve ? . There are no guarantees the defenders we have brought in are better than what we had got . Pearce was immense last season . Our defence was promotion standard , our strikers were not . Without the effort of our defenders , we would of been in the bottom half of the table . .
And the remark about Akinde. Well sir you went to different game to me as Pearce had Akinde in his pocket all the game .
Of course there are times defenders look suspect . It's league 2 fgs. If Pearce had gone to a league One team then most of us wouldn't of been surprised

If we lose Pearce then imo it's one step forward and two steps back . I Just hope It's a rumour . I suppose it depends on if we need cash to bring a striker in .
I think we could afford to lose Taft but not Pearce . The new defenders may under perform , get injured. There will be the odd suspension. To get out of this league , we need strength in depth .
tmwilson
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Fitzy499 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:58 am

So, from a comment from Evans that was obviously tongue in cheek we have concluded that Lincoln are buying Pearce from us. Even though there was no mention of the position or name of the player it was definitely Pearce they were after.

God I love stagsnet

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fitzy499
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bradders » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:04 am

tmwilson wrote:And the remark about Akinde. Well sir you went to different game to me as Pearce had Akinde in his pocket all the game .

Actually, that match summed up the season for me, with Green vs. Akinde.
Mansfield Town 0 - 1 Barnet Akinde 57
From Martin's report:
The Stags were getting on top in the opening stages of the second half and a great ball forward from the returning Danny Rose gave Matt Green a chance to lob the ball over the outrushing keeper but Green lobbed wide of the right post. Just as the Stags were on top, a sucker punch as Mitch Rose gave the ball away just outside the Barnet area, the impressive Gambin played the ball down the left, Akinde got away from Pearce and fired over Shearer into the net on 57 minutes.

Green was moaning about not being in favour with Evans, but even with Murray in charge he was missing crucial chances. Akinde didn't do much in this match but when given half a chance he made sure. Although Pearce could perhaps have done better this time you have to give credit to Akinde for grabbing the opportunity with both hands.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:21 am

Captain Cunno wrote:The season before last Jack T looked good then the standard of player moved up and he fell behind.
The same will happen this season with certain players.

I don't agree it was the standard of player which improve and made jack look poor.

He was the best player on the pitch towards the end of the 14/15 season that's all 22 players on the pitch not just our 11.

So unless the opposition players have all dramatically improved as well (which I doubt) then theres something else which is stunting his development.
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:39 am

MTFCMAD,

Right you are, something else has held Jack back, what can it be????????????
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Brough » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Why would we get rid of our best cb? Hahaha
Brough
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkstag » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:09 pm

I rate Pearce but he doe have lapses. So he had Akinde in his pocket until he didn't and the result was?

Hope he stays tho
yorkstag
First Team
First Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:24 pm

So out of a 46 game season where is this list of lapses that our immaculate League 2 centre back is prone to?

I reckon I must have seen him play around 30 times during the season and he was brilliant. I'm amazed that there hasn't been a queue of clubs knocking at our door.
Field Mill - The World's Oldest Professional Football Stadium (children not welcome)
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Definitely one of our most reliable players throughout last season. I would be extremely disappointed if he went.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Taft's the one I'd lose sooner than Krys. A good strong gust of wind will result in Tafty being on the physios bench again for six months.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:42 pm

I'd be disappointed if rose went..........que stagsnet meltdown over a story with no substance to it.
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:59 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:The season before last Jack T looked good then the standard of player moved up and he fell behind.
The same will happen this season with certain players.

Don't rule Jack out just yet. He's a young lad, who still has the chance to prove himself. He could still come good.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Pearce has been good at times but as much as we all like him, we did still ship to many goals last year with him in. We've signed some real quality, the likes of him, JT CJ won't get a sniff.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Jamie wrote:Pearce has been good at times but as much as we all like him, we did still ship to many goals last year with him in. We've signed some real quality, the likes of him, JT CJ won't get a sniff.

Only 4 teams shipped less goals than us, and they finished above us. We didn't concede too many goals just over 1 per game. It was the goals for column that cost us I'm afraid. Pearce imo was the best CB last season, and I thought Bennett was slightly more error prone, letting the ball bounce in front too many times, but he improved loads during the season. COYS
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:47 am

The defender vs striker battle is simple. The defender's job is to keep the striker in his pocket and stop him from getting that one chance to score. If he gets that chance, the defender has failed, irrespective of whether the striker scores.
The strikers job is to find a chance to score and take it. He must bide his time and try different things to create that opening and then have the ability to take it.
It's all well and good saying Pearce had him in his pocket for most of the game until he got the better of him on one occasion and scored, but for Akinde, he has worked all game to get free of a very good defender, eventually managed to and then put away the chance - he wins the battle. The striker only has to do that once, while the defender has to maintain focus all game to prevent any opportunity.

That said, Pearce is a great defender at this level and our best player last season. It's damn near impossible to keep that level up in every game, especially against players of the quality of Akinde.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:39 am

Could someone please explain to me why this thread has turned into a Pearce is leaving and almost a anti krystian Pearce thread ????
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:01 am

MTFCMAD wrote:Could someone please explain to me why this thread has turned into a Pearce is leaving and almost a anti krystian Pearce thread ????

because it's pre season and everyone's going mad :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:11 am

Every player has a value, just depends on if others are prepared to pay it.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Forever Optimistic » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:24 am

oldweststander wrote:Every player has a value, just depends on if others are prepared to pay it.

Lincoln obviously weren't prepared to pay it so Kristian remains a Stag. Simple. Let's get on with pre season knowing we've got an experienced central defender who won an award last season. :coys:
Something tells me we're into something good
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Forever Optimistic » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:25 am

Forever Optimistic wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Every player has a value, just depends on if others are prepared to pay it.

Lincoln obviously weren't prepared to pay it so Kristian remains a Stag. Simple. Let's get on with pre season knowing we've got an experienced central defender who won an award last season. (Not a dig at you OWS) :coys:
Something tells me we're into something good
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:29 am

Dear lord......
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:30 am

No offence, I agree with you entirely.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:48 am

MTFCMAD wrote:Could someone please explain to me why this thread has turned into a Pearce is leaving and almost a anti krystian Pearce thread ????

I don't think it has. The Lincoln manager wants to buy one of our players but a fee could not be agreed. The speculation was it could be Pearce. But it equally be Bennett, Benning, Taft, etc.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tiptop » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:06 pm

Pearce might want to go ???
Agents and player's have no loyalty now day's,i honestly believe pearce will not like being back up and will want off....
Footballers dont like being squad player's and pearce will want a starting place .
tiptop
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Benning defiantly had interest. Not sure who from mind.
Conker
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum