{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

"Lee Angol has simply chosen the wrong club" - @VitalLincoln

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

"Lee Angol has simply chosen the wrong club" - @VitalLincoln

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri May 19, 2017 9:55 pm

some interesting quotes in here

"Lee Angol has simply chosen the wrong club"

"Field Mill could be changing to Failed Mill before long."

------------------

from

Football, Finances And Infrastructure: whither Lincoln City?
lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk

Within the last few days, the summer transfer window has been thrown open with a resounding crash in the brave new world of League Two. As far as Lincoln City is concerned, the retained list has been released and our thoughts are already occupied with trying to identify which players might be heading up the A46. Wish lists have been drawn up by us all in the belief that players will be falling over themselves to play for Lincoln City now. However, literally within the last few hours, there has been a rude awakening: City have been comfortably outbid by other League Two clubs for two players Danny Cowley ideally wanted to retain. Cowley confirms that Terry Hawkridge has doubled his money by joining Notts County (and doubled his contract term as well), and that he could not have got even half way towards matching the financial offer made to Lee Angol by Mansfield Town. It may be silly money, but money talks.

So we shake our heads sadly and say farewell to two of the players who dragged us over the line three weeks ago. It would appear that the setting of a sensible budget has left us unable to compete. That may come as a considerable shock to some of us, but there is an immediate reality-check here: the vast majority of clubs next season will have budgets either equal to or larger than our own.

We have encountered numerous clubs in very recent times with far more spending power than us, so we should not be too surprised. The boom and bust mentality of some clubs continues to beggar belief, and it is the same culprits every time. We may have waved goodbye to the immediate threat of AFC Fylde, Eastleigh, Ebbsfleet, Salford City and even to little Billericay, bankrolled to a ludicrous extent by steel magnate and Dagenham & Redbridge reject Glenn Tamplin; and we may consider ourselves unfortunate that Dale Vince and his merry band of vegans have followed us into the Football League - it is anyone's guess how much money he is about to throw at achieving his ridiculous Championship fantasy. But now we face a whole new raft of big spenders - proponents of Rolls-Royce ambitions on bicycle wages - who present a far bigger obstacle to Lincoln City's progress up the League than the Jim Parmenters ever could.

So should we be doing the same thing? After all, we have all that lovely money burning a hole in Kevin Cooke's pocket. Think what damage we could do with the £2.5 million from the FA Cup run and the solidarity payment still to come. We are all eager to continue the roller coaster ride of the Cowley revolution into the Football League and sweep majestically through League Two in no time at all. Is that a realistic ambition? Yes, probably. We have perhaps the best young English manager in football and sackfuls of Krugerrands in the bank for him to spend. We already know he is the right man to give it to, so why not set him free? He says he has expensive tastes where players are concerned, so let the man indulge! Is that the right thing to do?

Let's consider the flip side of today's events. Notts County have secured Terry Hawkridge for what appears to be extremely good money; that is quite surprising for a club which reportedly is £9.5 million in debt. Does that make sense? Not really. I can see only more problems ahead down Meadow Lane.

Mansfield Town threw a stupendous pile of cash at winning the Conference a few seasons ago. It worked in that sense, but they have had to cut their cloth severely ever since. Until now, that is. Out of the blue, Mr Radford is suddenly talking very big talk once more and supporting his notoriously extravagant manager with substantial piles of cash. Offering Lee Angol more than twice the amount Lincoln could afford, and on far smaller gates than Lincoln does not make a lot of sense either. Field Mill could be changing to Failed Mill before long.

Read more: http://www.lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... z4hYkclgHE

Splashing the cash on players obviously presents an advantage provided player selection is right, and you have the right manager to mould those players into a team. It is not as easy as it sounds - just ask Eastleigh. In December 2016 owner Stewart Donald wrote off £4.85 million in losses accumulated over the last 5 years. This season, his team of overpaid misfits finished just 7 points clear of relegation and a massive 42 points behind champions Lincoln, who had a small percentage of their budget. It most certainly was not for the want of trying: Eastleigh munched their way through four managers in the space of seven months while serving up to their supporters the football equivalent of Russell Brand (rambling, disjointed and as close to unwatchable as a party political broadcast by the Unwatchable Party). They have learned the hard way that money does not guarantee success, and success is not a right.

Here's another thing to consider: last season should not have happened. Lincoln City did not have one of the bigger budgets in the National League, yet they swept the big spenders and four big Football League clubs aside to create real football history. Sean Raggett made the Gazzetta dello Sport team of the week, interviews with Danny Cowley were shown on television in Australia, and even former England internationals waxed lyrical about the Imps on BT Sport and the BBC. None of the bankrolled clubs could manage any of that. We must be getting something right, and there is no reason why it cannot happen again. It is not just about money.

So let's take a wider view of the whole picture, which is something that Mansfield and Notts County are probably not doing.

To build a solid sustainable future for any club, it is essential that developments in infrastructure off the pitch keep pace with ambitions on it. To neglect one in deference to the other can only end in failure. Lincoln need so many things: a new ticketing system, a new training ground and a new stadium are all prerequisites if it is to become the club we all want it to be. What would happen if City went straight up to the Championship, only to find that no one could buy a match ticket, the players had nowhere to train and the new stadium was still 'five to ten years' away? Is that where we really want to be? On the other side of that particular Krugerrand, how many of City's long-suffering supporters would look forward to trudging off to a sparkling new 15,000-seat stadium, only to find Billericay Town the opponents on the opening day of a new National League season? Had Shakespeare been a Lincoln City supporter, he might have shaken his head sadly and concluded, that is the stuff on which nightmares are made.

A sense of balance has to be our main priority. If it takes a couple of years before we can challenge at the sharp end of the League Two table, then so be it. The new training centre is on its way, and that will help the club to attract a more ambitious type of player. Danny and Nicky made it a condition precedent to renegotiation of their contracts, leaving us in no doubt that they understand implicitly the need to build the club and its infrastructure in the shortest term. They will not walk away from Lincoln City because they have less money to spend than Steve Evans, so we have time on our side too. We must not be tempted to break the budget simply to emulate the spending of our neighbours. Sensible use of the FA Cup windfall over a number of seasons is the way to go.

The interesting thing here is that the Cowleys are completely in control of their football club, and that does not just relate to the playing side. They are running the whole show - on the pitch and off it - and directing those around them to create what they want it to be. Can the same be said for the majority of clubs in League Two? I honestly doubt it. So let those other clubs go right ahead and spend money they do not have. It may give them an advantage in the short term, but we need to implement a long-term strategy. If we get it right off the field, success on it will follow. The two are holistic, symbiotic, they have to be addressed simultaneously and afforded equal attention. The majority of clubs do not see things that way, and that gives us an advantage.

But the biggest advantage of all - and one that cannot be replicated by any other club in League Two - is that we have Danny Cowley at the helm. He will not be worried that Lee Angol has simply chosen the wrong club, and Terry Hawkridge has gone to one which is on its financial knees. He may be a tad disappointed, assuming that he really did want the two of them to stay of course, but he will simply move on to the next target. Consider the 22 players he signed last season and put your trust in his judgement; accept that he is driving this club forward at a breathtaking rate of knots; and get that season ticket ordered, because the adventure is just beginning.

------------------
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: "Lee Angol has simply chosen the wrong club" - @VitalLin

Postby Marky Mark » Fri May 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Reads like a massive verbal diarrhoea tantrum. How dare a player choose one of the 23 other clearly worse managed and run clubs in League Two than Lincoln City? I hope they aren't going to write a brainfart like this for every player that turns them down.
Last edited by Marky Mark on Fri May 19, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Fitzy499 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Jealousy springs to mind, however, even though I'm loving this 'revolution' at the mill at the back of my mind I can't help thinking 'let's hope things don't go wrong leaving us in a financial mess'. I'm sure JR has done his homework and over the past few years stabilised the club enough to fund the revolution

:coys: :mtfc:
Fitzy499
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby sw19stag » Fri May 19, 2017 10:07 pm

Newly promoted and already lecturing everyone else as to what they should be doing.
Can't wait until we bury the pompous inbreeds.
Wake up call for them due.
sw19stag
First Team
First Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri May 19, 2017 10:09 pm

Blogger: "Look look, I can write a blog, cos I've got big opinions."
Everybody else: "We don't care."
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 pm

I should have asked my 11 year old nephew to write a 4,000 word sulk about how the Conference was going to hell when Lincoln offered a 2 year deal to Matt Rhead when we'd only offered a one year deal.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri May 19, 2017 10:17 pm

I had a feeling this might put an end to the Lincoln love-in. Can't stand them personally.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri May 19, 2017 10:18 pm

What a load of pony.

Some on here would lead you to believe Lincoln are the new Luton of league 2 i.e the biggest club in the world.

Surely on there 7000 crowds and 2500 season ticket sales they could offer Hawkbridge and Angol the same deals.

The players have simply moved for 1 more money but 2 more chance of success at more established clubs.

I mentioned on another thread we would be the team everybody hates this year cos of the money being spent.

I guess we will have to get used to it as strange as it does feel.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 pm

They want to stabilise in the league for a cpl of seasons, introduce a new ticketing system, and a new training facility before they splash the cash. (Apparently the author sees them as vital)

Isn't that what JR has just done?

;)
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri May 19, 2017 10:21 pm

Yeah so in 2 years they can throw some cash at it "out of the blue "....
Moron
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby sw19stag » Fri May 19, 2017 10:22 pm

I see their darling Terry Hawkridge has just jumped ship to County! [Poor bugger]
Shame.
He obviously thinks Lincoln are a club going places! Not.
Or maybe he just wants to stay in the league.
Haha welcome to the real world turnip heads.
sw19stag
First Team
First Team

Postby The One » Fri May 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Lincoln the new loootun
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Sour grapes to me, lashing out because they can't attract players over little old mansfield. Fair play, they did have a good season but as we all know League 2 is a different kettle of fish and they cant just go around moaning about other teams offering better money for their players. That's just football

I wanted them to get promoted so we have another local game, and I'm pleased they came up. Doesn't mean I like them, I hope we smash them and show em who's boss around here
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby TBS » Fri May 19, 2017 11:09 pm

What a short sighted & poorly researched pile of drivel. I dislike them more than ever.
Don`t be fooled by imitation
This is the stuff that cured a nation...
TBS
First Team
First Team

Postby Amberheart » Fri May 19, 2017 11:12 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:I had a feeling this might put an end to the Lincoln love-in. Can't stand them personally.

Me too Martin never liked Lincoln , they're red & white & full of sh**e !
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri May 19, 2017 11:16 pm

To be fair that is just one person.

But yeah I have defiantly detected huge amounts of absolute drivel from Lincoln fans recently they cannot grasp players would choose another club than themselves.

Weird what a freak good season can do to a fan base, they are in a different world now.
Conker
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Fri May 19, 2017 11:22 pm

So they think that we offered Angol far more money and that mean we are throwing ridiculous money about....

What if they only bid 25k for Angol... Us then paying 50K etc isn't so ridiculous, i think even 100K with Radfords money would be sustainable.

How the hell does an ex PE teacher who played non league football all his life, no matter how good of a cup run he's achieved, know how much players are worth etc...

I think Lincoln are in a for a big shock, same as cheltenham were. Looking at their squad its the same problem, little league experience and they can't even keep hold of Hawkridge who is nothing special, added with Rheady and Arnold, they don't have anything special and they remind me of us when we came up, good for the conference and momentum to finish mid table but nothing further than that.

I can see them signing a striker on loan like Angol and lumping it to Rheady for 46 games and as we found out that isn't good enough.

We threw money at the conference and luckily it worked (thanks to all involved) but then to really stand a chance we had to stabilise and be crap for a couple years, we didn't have the fire power to keep going. The club is being ran very well and were now self sustaining, the crowds are coming back, the youth team have won their league two years in a row and theres some real talent in the academy (Lewis Collins has caught the attention of Derby already) we will have a new training facility, the commercial side of the club is making loads of money and the playing side of things is now the best its been for a decade.

The sense of optimism is worth it and has been brought about in the right way, now were a sustainable club JR can pump in a few extra quid to get a certain standard of player and we have the best manager for this. We have every right to be excited about next year and if other clubs don't understand how we've got here then let them sulk.
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:30 pm

:good_post:
BoughtonStag71
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Admiral Sook » Fri May 19, 2017 11:48 pm

Never involved in the 'Lincoln love in' as I've been a fan of MTFC for 33 years and always saw them as a local rival.. ( good days and bad). That report just makes me wonder what the author actually knows about us and what he actually thinks about us. Seems like he's saying 'Little Mansfield are throwing money at their dream so they're bound to fail and go bust'
It's mildly irritating and seems like sour grapes as I'm sure he's wanting their owner to do the same thing and take them to the next level. It's every lower league fans dream to see their team in the Championship and it seems to have been written in a fit of pique whilst sucking on his dummy.
JR and CR have been in charge long enough to know what they're doing, and I agree it's always a gamble to spend money but what's the point of owning something where you're treading water for a monotonous amount of years and getting no satisfaction? Hope we prove this buffoon wrong, and soon.
Admiral Sook
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Sat May 20, 2017 12:33 am

Just the bitter rant of one person who is educated enough to be able to put together a few words for his blog that probably three men and his dog read on a regular basis.

He needs to put his hankie away, when has football ever been anything different, I lose count of the excellent players we have lost over the years to clubs who made a better offer.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby whipster221073 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:51 am

Martin Shaw wrote:some interesting quotes in here

"Lee Angol has simply chosen the wrong club"

"Field Mill could be changing to Failed Mill before long."

------------------

from

Football, Finances And Infrastructure: whither Lincoln City?
lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk

Within the last few days, the summer transfer window has been thrown open with a resounding crash in the brave new world of League Two. As far as Lincoln City is concerned, the retained list has been released and our thoughts are already occupied with trying to identify which players might be heading up the A46. Wish lists have been drawn up by us all in the belief that players will be falling over themselves to play for Lincoln City now. However, literally within the last few hours, there has been a rude awakening: City have been comfortably outbid by other League Two clubs for two players Danny Cowley ideally wanted to retain. Cowley confirms that Terry Hawkridge has doubled his money by joining Notts County (and doubled his contract term as well), and that he could not have got even half way towards matching the financial offer made to Lee Angol by Mansfield Town. It may be silly money, but money talks.

So we shake our heads sadly and say farewell to two of the players who dragged us over the line three weeks ago. It would appear that the setting of a sensible budget has left us unable to compete. That may come as a considerable shock to some of us, but there is an immediate reality-check here: the vast majority of clubs next season will have budgets either equal to or larger than our own.

We have encountered numerous clubs in very recent times with far more spending power than us, so we should not be too surprised. The boom and bust mentality of some clubs continues to beggar belief, and it is the same culprits every time. We may have waved goodbye to the immediate threat of AFC Fylde, Eastleigh, Ebbsfleet, Salford City and even to little Billericay, bankrolled to a ludicrous extent by steel magnate and Dagenham & Redbridge reject Glenn Tamplin; and we may consider ourselves unfortunate that Dale Vince and his merry band of vegans have followed us into the Football League - it is anyone's guess how much money he is about to throw at achieving his ridiculous Championship fantasy. But now we face a whole new raft of big spenders - proponents of Rolls-Royce ambitions on bicycle wages - who present a far bigger obstacle to Lincoln City's progress up the League than the Jim Parmenters ever could.

So should we be doing the same thing? After all, we have all that lovely money burning a hole in Kevin Cooke's pocket. Think what damage we could do with the £2.5 million from the FA Cup run and the solidarity payment still to come. We are all eager to continue the roller coaster ride of the Cowley revolution into the Football League and sweep majestically through League Two in no time at all. Is that a realistic ambition? Yes, probably. We have perhaps the best young English manager in football and sackfuls of Krugerrands in the bank for him to spend. We already know he is the right man to give it to, so why not set him free? He says he has expensive tastes where players are concerned, so let the man indulge! Is that the right thing to do?

Let's consider the flip side of today's events. Notts County have secured Terry Hawkridge for what appears to be extremely good money; that is quite surprising for a club which reportedly is £9.5 million in debt. Does that make sense? Not really. I can see only more problems ahead down Meadow Lane.

Mansfield Town threw a stupendous pile of cash at winning the Conference a few seasons ago. It worked in that sense, but they have had to cut their cloth severely ever since. Until now, that is. Out of the blue, Mr Radford is suddenly talking very big talk once more and supporting his notoriously extravagant manager with substantial piles of cash. Offering Lee Angol more than twice the amount Lincoln could afford, and on far smaller gates than Lincoln does not make a lot of sense either. Field Mill could be changing to Failed Mill before long.

Read more: http://www.lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... z4hYkclgHE

Splashing the cash on players obviously presents an advantage provided player selection is right, and you have the right manager to mould those players into a team. It is not as easy as it sounds - just ask Eastleigh. In December 2016 owner Stewart Donald wrote off £4.85 million in losses accumulated over the last 5 years. This season, his team of overpaid misfits finished just 7 points clear of relegation and a massive 42 points behind champions Lincoln, who had a small percentage of their budget. It most certainly was not for the want of trying: Eastleigh munched their way through four managers in the space of seven months while serving up to their supporters the football equivalent of Russell Brand (rambling, disjointed and as close to unwatchable as a party political broadcast by the Unwatchable Party). They have learned the hard way that money does not guarantee success, and success is not a right.

Here's another thing to consider: last season should not have happened. Lincoln City did not have one of the bigger budgets in the National League, yet they swept the big spenders and four big Football League clubs aside to create real football history. Sean Raggett made the Gazzetta dello Sport team of the week, interviews with Danny Cowley were shown on television in Australia, and even former England internationals waxed lyrical about the Imps on BT Sport and the BBC. None of the bankrolled clubs could manage any of that. We must be getting something right, and there is no reason why it cannot happen again. It is not just about money.

So let's take a wider view of the whole picture, which is something that Mansfield and Notts County are probably not doing.

To build a solid sustainable future for any club, it is essential that developments in infrastructure off the pitch keep pace with ambitions on it. To neglect one in deference to the other can only end in failure. Lincoln need so many things: a new ticketing system, a new training ground and a new stadium are all prerequisites if it is to become the club we all want it to be. What would happen if City went straight up to the Championship, only to find that no one could buy a match ticket, the players had nowhere to train and the new stadium was still 'five to ten years' away? Is that where we really want to be? On the other side of that particular Krugerrand, how many of City's long-suffering supporters would look forward to trudging off to a sparkling new 15,000-seat stadium, only to find Billericay Town the opponents on the opening day of a new National League season? Had Shakespeare been a Lincoln City supporter, he might have shaken his head sadly and concluded, that is the stuff on which nightmares are made.

A sense of balance has to be our main priority. If it takes a couple of years before we can challenge at the sharp end of the League Two table, then so be it. The new training centre is on its way, and that will help the club to attract a more ambitious type of player. Danny and Nicky made it a condition precedent to renegotiation of their contracts, leaving us in no doubt that they understand implicitly the need to build the club and its infrastructure in the shortest term. They will not walk away from Lincoln City because they have less money to spend than Steve Evans, so we have time on our side too. We must not be tempted to break the budget simply to emulate the spending of our neighbours. Sensible use of the FA Cup windfall over a number of seasons is the way to go.

The interesting thing here is that the Cowleys are completely in control of their football club, and that does not just relate to the playing side. They are running the whole show - on the pitch and off it - and directing those around them to create what they want it to be. Can the same be said for the majority of clubs in League Two? I honestly doubt it. So let those other clubs go right ahead and spend money they do not have. It may give them an advantage in the short term, but we need to implement a long-term strategy. If we get it right off the field, success on it will follow. The two are holistic, symbiotic, they have to be addressed simultaneously and afforded equal attention. The majority of clubs do not see things that way, and that gives us an advantage.

But the biggest advantage of all - and one that cannot be replicated by any other club in League Two - is that we have Danny Cowley at the helm. He will not be worried that Lee Angol has simply chosen the wrong club, and Terry Hawkridge has gone to one which is on its financial knees. He may be a tad disappointed, assuming that he really did want the two of them to stay of course, but he will simply move on to the next target. Consider the 22 players he signed last season and put your trust in his judgement; accept that he is driving this club forward at a breathtaking rate of knots; and get that season ticket ordered, because the adventure is just beginning.

------------------

I can understand what most of this has been written about and why it has been written.
A new league club competing with finances that they see as out of their reach is probably how we saw Luton when we first came up.
Paying higher wages on smaller gates doesn't bother me, as the sponsorship by One Call appears to be significant enough to manage the fair play regulations.
The only issue I have is that the original poster fails to recognise the significant investment by MTFC in behind the scenes operations such as the training ground.

Lincoln City may well have bigger attendances at the start of the season, a sought after management team and a momentum that we would die for. However, after all, they are still a League Two team with a three sided stadium, in the middle of Lincolnshire with few league standard players.

All the best to them. Rather them than Billericay Town or the like but come on Imps. :shh:
MTFC not AFC
whipster221073
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby smiler67 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:10 am

They're starting to sound like the "massive"club over the M1,anybody would think after their promotion they have suddenly become Barcelona,let's hope we can make them eat their words,deluded individuals.
smiler67
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat May 20, 2017 6:47 am

Martin Shaw wrote:I had a feeling this might put an end to the Lincoln love-in. Can't stand them personally.

Fair enough Martin, but this is just one person's view. Also no one can deny they had an incredible season, with a team containing a fair number of our cast offs.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Sat May 20, 2017 7:41 am

I've just read that load of old pony. I now need a lie down on my sofa. Which, being a Stags fan, probably cost twice as much as that boring old fart who wrote that diatribe.
Being a Stags fan never has a happy ending. Because being a Stags fan never ends.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat May 20, 2017 7:57 am

They really need to get their facts right on that forum, they are so bitter. "How Mansfield can afford Angol on 2,500 gates". We will be over the 4,000 average easy next season. I really dislike these potato picking nobs.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum