{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

marquee signing (striker)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: marquee signing (striker)

Postby Stoney » Fri May 19, 2017 9:35 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I'm slightly worried that we're doing business too early to be honest, given a lot of clubs are still to release their retained lists, there could be some gems still to be released after Evans has spent all his budget, The only thing I can think to counter that is that whilst the clubs may not have officially announced their retained lists, those within the game know the players who are likely to be released and are working on that basis.

I'm thinking similar. I'm happy Evans is getting his targets but there's always some class free agents to be had in mid-June onwards.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Fri May 19, 2017 9:38 am

die hirsche wrote:It's not too early.
Evans knows who he wants and he's gone and got them.
The early signings are obviously his first choice signings and it's good that he's got so many in.

Bang on!

Early business is only a good thing.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri May 19, 2017 9:42 am

I agree that the "strike early" approach is the best. It's perhaps the most expensive in the short term, but leave it late and you can only choose from what's left over.

At the moment the better players are being snapped up and I'm pleased that we're one of the clubs doing the snapping. I've had enough of the strategy where we leave it until the season is almost starting and then pick up the dregs at a bargain price. Some of them might seem promising at first (Ollie Palmer?) but you feel that there are good reasons why they haven't already found a club. And if you've been studying players during the season and identified the ones that fit the bill, why let that become a waste of time?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri May 19, 2017 11:16 am

It doesn't matter about retained lists or contracts, players can still agree to join teams as they'll know themselves whether they'll be kept on or not. Look at McNulty, he's agreed to join Coventry but he's still under contract at Sheffield United at the moment.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri May 19, 2017 11:22 am

How many players has evans paid for? How many are out of contract. Doing business early is great, we normally fanny about for weeks on end and those players we dream of getting move to teams around us.

Not this time.

Evo said, even though they're working early they have to be the right player. He has had his eye on these players for months he said and had missed out on one or two
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:22 am

Stoney wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I'm slightly worried that we're doing business too early to be honest, given a lot of clubs are still to release their retained lists, there could be some gems still to be released after Evans has spent all his budget, The only thing I can think to counter that is that whilst the clubs may not have officially announced their retained lists, those within the game know the players who are likely to be released and are working on that basis.

I'm thinking similar. I'm happy Evans is getting his targets but there's always some class free agents to be had in mid-June onwards.

If you listen to Evan's press conference he said he has pulled his target lsit together over the last 6 months.
He has known for some time who he wants and it sounds like so far we have about 80% of them. The other 20% has signed elsewhere.

For me it has made such a refreshing change to be on the front foot, rather than signing what is left over
stag324
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri May 19, 2017 11:23 am

Stoney wrote:

True, but by then there's often half a dozen or more clubs all clamouring to sign this player up because they find themselves in the same situation of missing a key player. In my view it's good to nab them early while several clubs are still sorting out their own affairs and the interest is lower.

Provided both players can do the job required then there's little to lose in buying player A now over waiting for player B later
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri May 19, 2017 1:32 pm

nick_stags wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:it's going to be Paul Taylor

really pleased with that

You reckon???

If so that would be an attacking line the likes of MTFC has never seen before.

Not sure I understand the excitement over Paul Taylor.
He has a career record of 1 in 4 which is hardly the '20 goals a season' man we are all looking for and last season he scored 3 in 39 !!

If I remember correctly, when the big money bids were mentioned right near the end of the January window the offers for Taylor and Watkins had already failed and Evans admitted after the window closed that we had made an offer for a young Championship striker which had been accepted by his club but personal terms couldn't be agreed in the short time available. He then said that the would revisit the deal in the summer so maybe this is the other striker that could come on board.

Paul Taylor isn't a striker to be fair, hence the strike rate.

Wouldn't surprise me if we're after Luke James or Harry Anderson.

Exactly my point !!
Dave Wayne
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stoney » Fri May 19, 2017 3:35 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Stoney wrote:

True, but by then there's often half a dozen or more clubs all clamouring to sign this player up because they find themselves in the same situation of missing a key player. In my view it's good to nab them early while several clubs are still sorting out their own affairs and the interest is lower.

Provided both players can do the job required then there's little to lose in buying player A now over waiting for player B later

Yeah this is also true, like I say I'm more than happy that Evans has got in early and planned it out for months, I'm excited about next season already I just think one or two will become available to Evans later in the summer that he never realised would be a possibility.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed May 24, 2017 6:07 pm

so looks like we will get a marquee striker in, but which one ?
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed May 24, 2017 7:51 pm

The players we have signed so far know that they have been signed because the manager wanted them . Nobody has been signed because we are struggling to get cover for a certain position or because we can't get anyone better. Squad morale should be sky high. Good players, good manager , good owner .

What can possibly go wrong.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed May 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Hugh Tent?
9dder2
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager