{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

marquee signing (striker)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: marquee signing (striker)

Postby dave E stag » Thu May 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Also....please do not bother with Coulthirst Stevie
dave E stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby James » Thu May 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Neither Plymouth or Portsmouth had a player score over 20 goals this season. 3 of the 5 players who got 20 goals didn't even finish in the play offs.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby lifestags » Thu May 18, 2017 8:59 pm

Peterborough owners stated on twitter that were after 1 more Peterborough player and they have plenty of cash add ons for white and angol when we get promoted
lifestags
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 pm

lifestags wrote:Peterborough owners stated on twitter that were after 1 more Peterborough player and they have plenty of cash add ons for white and angol when we get promoted

can you stick the tweet up?
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Foxy » Thu May 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Last edited by Foxy on Thu May 18, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu May 18, 2017 9:41 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Thu May 18, 2017 10:08 pm

Could be bostwick, I would want him if I was se. Leader cm, would be a right signing
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu May 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
lifestags wrote:Peterborough owners stated on twitter that were after 1 more Peterborough player and they have plenty of cash add ons for white and angol when we get promoted

can you stick the tweet up?

this is the tweet. Thanks to lifestags for pointing it out to me

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu May 18, 2017 10:37 pm

it's going to be Paul Taylor

really pleased with that
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu May 18, 2017 10:40 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:it's going to be Paul Taylor

really pleased with that

You reckon???

If so that would be an attacking line the likes of MTFC has never seen before.
There is one formidable adversary that Arsene Wenger has yet to defeat; it's Arsene Wenger's Coat.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagsfan11 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:41 pm

really pleased with that

We wouldn't need to contact Posh for him, he is a free agent.
Stagsfan11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu May 18, 2017 10:44 pm

you sure?
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagsfan11 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:50 pm

Yes.

Could be Luke James?
Stagsfan11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Vice President » Thu May 18, 2017 10:53 pm

I also have that niggling feeling. The two strikers that we have signed may turn out to be very good .... however, they don't come with the status of a 'marquee' signing. They don't have a prolific goal scoring record in league 2 or above.
Steve Evans knows that the thing that stopped us getting promoted this season was our relatively poor finishing from the strikers - that lack of quality in the box. So I hope that these signings will address that. Fingers crossed!
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu May 18, 2017 11:12 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:

really pleased with that

You reckon???

Not sure I understand the excitement over Paul Taylor.
He has a career record of 1 in 4 which is hardly the '20 goals a season' man we are all looking for and last season he scored 3 in 39 !!

If I remember correctly, when the big money bids were mentioned right near the end of the January window the offers for Taylor and Watkins had already failed and Evans admitted after the window closed that we had made an offer for a young Championship striker which had been accepted by his club but personal terms couldn't be agreed in the short time available. He then said that the would revisit the deal in the summer so maybe this is the other striker that could come on board.
Dave Wayne
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Thu May 18, 2017 11:14 pm

Trouble is you could put all your eggs in one basket then he gets injured in a PSF & that's the season buggered
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 pm

Dan wrote:Trouble is you could put all your eggs in one basket then he gets injured in a PSF & that's the season buggered

Thats the same for loads of clubs though, or anyone who goes for a marquee signing. Doesn't stop it happening. No different to us paying Green a huge whack more than anyone else...

Even if we did go balls out on a huge signing, it wouldn't seem like a compromise on the squad which already looks very strong.

I think we're all being a little greedy and getting carried away.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 am

Dan wrote:Trouble is you could put all your eggs in one basket then he gets injured in a PSF & that's the season buggered

Iffy's big toe ;) ;) :lol: :lol:
Who needs a Dutchman, when we've got Holland.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Fitzy499 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:15 am

Dave Wayne wrote:

really pleased with that

You reckon???

He has a career record of 1 in 4 which is hardly the '20 goals a season' man we are all looking for and last season he scored 3 in 39 !!

If I remember correctly, when the big money bids were mentioned right near the end of the January window the offers for Taylor and Watkins had already failed and Evans admitted after the window closed that we had made an offer for a young Championship striker which had been accepted by his club but personal terms couldn't be agreed in the short time available. He then said that the would revisit the deal in the summer so maybe this is the other striker that could come on board.

If you listen to the interview with SE and CR, to me it sounds like Angol was the player he tried to sign in January but the shrewd posh knew we wanted him so loaned him to Lincoln for a 'hefty loan fee' then got money from us for him that is bloody good business by them
Fitzy499
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri May 19, 2017 7:57 am

Fitzy499 wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:

really pleased with that

You reckon???

If you listen to the interview with SE and CR, to me it sounds like Angol was the player he tried to sign in January but the shrewd posh knew we wanted him so loaned him to Lincoln for a 'hefty loan fee' then got money from us for him that is bloody good business by them

Possibly yes he was one of the players we tried to sign but he wasn't playing in the championship and the situation you describe above doesn't fit with having agreed a fee with the club but not terms with the player so I assume he is still out there.
Evans openly stated back in January that his ideal squad would have 7 strikers in it. If we are planning to go with a squad size of 22 that won't be happening , but I would expect 1 or 2 more strikers to arrive this summer.
Dave Wayne
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby frt1987 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:15 am

Speaking of which..Liam Hearn..ex injury prone marquee signing has signed for Basford
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby nick_stags » Fri May 19, 2017 8:47 am

Dave Wayne wrote:

really pleased with that

You reckon???

Paul Taylor isn't a striker to be fair, hence the strike rate.

Wouldn't surprise me if we're after Luke James or Harry Anderson.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri May 19, 2017 8:51 am

That's true of course but obviously a manager has to build that in to the equation and make sure we have a plan B. However, to get automatic promotion isn't going to be risk-free and we have to solve the problem of the lack of finishing touch in the side.

It's hard to imagine why, but there seems to be few players around who can actually pop the ball in the net on a regular basis when presented with good chances - although there are plenty who look as if they should be able to manage that feat (Matt Green, sadly, is the obvious example).

I'd be looking for one who can do that, backed up by one who does thumping headers, another who has a piledriver shot and another with real pace. They wouldn't all have to be out-and-out strikers but it would allow for a range of options.

Maybe we have most of that now, but I'm not convinced that anyone we've signed so far is a good finisher. How many times have we outplayed a side recently only for them to score with their only half-chance - I'd like to see us capable of doing that, rather than having to outclass the opposition totally in order to scrape past them. We seem to need a dozen chances before one goes in. Think back to the Barnet home game in September - Akinde seemed out of the match but ...

Just as the Stags were on top, a sucker punch as Mitch Rose gave the ball away just outside the Barnet area, the impressive Gambin played the ball down the left, Akinde got away from Pearce and fired over Shearer into the net on 57 minutes. The Stags could have been level when Benning played a great ball down the left, Hamilton got to the byline and put a great cross onto Green’s head but Green could only head well wide of the right post.

...I know that we've changed manager and improved the squad since then but the problem has remained.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri May 19, 2017 8:57 am

I'm slightly worried that we're doing business too early to be honest, given a lot of clubs are still to release their retained lists, there could be some gems still to be released after Evans has spent all his budget, The only thing I can think to counter that is that whilst the clubs may not have officially announced their retained lists, those within the game know the players who are likely to be released and are working on that basis.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Fri May 19, 2017 9:29 am

It's not too early.
Evans knows who he wants and he's gone and got them.
The early signings are obviously his first choice signings and it's good that he's got so many in.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum