{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Retrospective bans for diving!!

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Retrospective bans for diving!!

Postby die hirsche » Thu May 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Thank the lord above.

About bloody time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... xt-season/
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
First Team
First Team

Re: Retrospective bans for diving!!

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Thu May 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Should be a 3 match ban!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby Calstag » Thu May 18, 2017 5:01 pm

It's about time and agree on the 3 games, diving is pathetic
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu May 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Can we have the same for abusing officials.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby cerfjaune » Thu May 18, 2017 5:11 pm

The trouble is the "simulated dive" often affects the final result.

Would it have been any consolation to us if Reid had received a 2 match ban? All that would have done is benefit Exeter's next two opponents. Logically Exeter should have been deducted 2 points and we should have been given 1, but that sort of decision would create huge problems which could well end up in court.
cerfjaune
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu May 18, 2017 5:41 pm

It's a rare instance of football officialdom doing something sensible. It's an excellent idea.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu May 18, 2017 5:42 pm

It's never going to happen. Just another rule they bring in then forget about after a few games
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu May 18, 2017 5:57 pm

It will be hard to make it stick in League One and Two as well. Most footage is shot from one camera up in the gantry. If the camera angle isn't great, it'll be hard to prove that it was a dive.
stagmanrob
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Thu May 18, 2017 6:03 pm

Im all for it, I hate it and currently we only have one serial offender. I cringe every time Danny Rose hits the deck at the merest hint of contact. Has anyone thought that is why he didn't get the benefit of the doubt come a big decision, such as against Portsmouth.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu May 18, 2017 6:11 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Can we have the same for abusing officials.

That would take all the fun out of the game
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu May 18, 2017 7:06 pm

didn't they make a big song and dance about shirt pulling/grappling last summer? and from what i see not many refs pick up on that
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Thu May 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Pleased to read this. These antics are the reason I do not watch Cash League and International matches anymore. I find myself wound up to breaking point when I see diving cheats throwing themselves on the ground feigning injury. Do not expect too much of an improvement, but at least it is recognised that the con artists are ripping us all off.
Chris M
First Team
First Team

Postby garlic » Thu May 18, 2017 10:41 pm

should have been done years ago, but better lat than never, and the ban should be doubled for repeat offenders
garlic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri May 19, 2017 5:42 am

A lot of clever players (or cheating two hats) initiate contact by wafting a leg out at some unnatural angle, Vardy's always doing it. Refs are conned by these big name players with the thoughts and comments of Shearer ringing in their ears, 'if there's contact it's a peno'.

I hate what these theatrics have brought to our game now.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri May 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:Im all for it, I hate it and currently we only have one serial offender. I cringe every time Danny Rose hits the deck at the merest hint of contact. Has anyone thought that is why he didn't get the benefit of the doubt come a big decision, such as against Portsmouth.

I think falling at the merest hint of contact is very different to diving. A dive is where there is no contact or where contact is initiated by the player himself (ie Vardys one). If Rose fell with no contact then it would be a dive, but I have not seen him do that, what I have seen him do is exaggerate the contact - this is something different. The free kicks he earns more than make up for the number of times he was assaulted last season and given no protection by some pretty awful referees.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri May 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Wycombe must be gutted.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Fri May 19, 2017 6:57 pm

Rob wrote:
Terry Eccles Was God wrote:Im all for it, I hate it and currently we only have one serial offender. I cringe every time Danny Rose hits the deck at the merest hint of contact. Has anyone thought that is why he didn't get the benefit of the doubt come a big decision, such as against Portsmouth.

I think falling at the merest hint of contact is very different to diving. A dive is where there is no contact or where contact is initiated by the player himself (ie Vardys one). If Rose fell with no contact then it would be a dive, but I have not seen him do that, what I have seen him do is exaggerate the contact - this is something different. The free kicks he earns more than make up for the number of times he was assaulted last season and given no protection by some pretty awful referees.

Point taken re diving on no contact v conning the ref on minimal contact, though I thought they would be including diving on minimal contact as well. I haven't studied the fine detail though.

On Danny, I think part of the reason he hardly gets any free kicks is because refs know he is into the amateur dramatics, so it works against him. Also, I think thats why opposing players single him out and give him some stick, as his conning the ref antics wind them up. It would work out better for him (and us) if he just packed it in.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri May 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:
Rob wrote:

Point taken re diving on no contact v conning the ref on minimal contact, though I thought they would be including diving on minimal contact as well. I haven't studied the fine detail though.

On Danny, I think part of the reason he hardly gets any free kicks is because refs know he is into the amateur dramatics, so it works against him. Also, I think thats why opposing players single him out and give him some stick, as his conning the ref antics wind them up. It would work out better for him (and us) if he just packed it in.

It's interesting that Sam Allardyce is vehemently against this initiative. Diving is CHEATING. So Sam is comfortable with that. Ergo - Sam Allardyce is a cheat.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Fri May 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Allardyce only thinks it is rubbish because those who get booked for diving when they didn't won't get their card rescinded. He wants it reviewed at the time and sin bins for those who cheat.
halifaxstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Sat May 20, 2017 10:34 am

There was an interesting article on the BBC website where Scott McDonald and a journalist were having an argument about contact and exaggerated falls. As above, I agree with McDonald, who basically said if he is fouled (ie contact is made) then he will go down. It will be very hard to tell on a video that when contact is made could the player have stayed on his feet.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sat May 20, 2017 11:55 am

I think it will only serve to cut out the most blatant and high profile cases. The root issue as to why players see it necessary to exaggerate falls and contact is that when players don't go to ground seldom is a penalty given. So a player is caught between risking going down and being banned/cautioned or staying on their feet but the chance becoming more difficult given they have been fouled.
I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Mansfield 'till I die!
AlanStag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum