{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Paul Anderson signs

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Paul Anderson signs

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 16, 2017 8:00 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I used to work with his Dad over in Melton Mowbray when Paul would have been about 15/16 and was in the system at West Brom. I remember when West Brom told him that he was being released his Dad (knowing I was a Mansfield fan) asked me to get in touch with Mansfield to ask for a trial. I/we wrote twice but never got a response and after a few unsuccessful trials elsewhere he thought he was going to have to give it up, then Hull asked him up for a trial and offered him a deal, and then he signed for Liverpool within a season or two. I'm fairly sure I also mentioned it on here at the time.

You mean we are signing Mansfield rejects? :drummer:

I'll get my coat.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 16, 2017 8:01 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I used to work with his Dad over in Melton Mowbray when Paul would have been about 15/16 and was in the system at West Brom. I remember when West Brom told him that he was being released his Dad (knowing I was a Mansfield fan) asked me to get in touch with Mansfield to ask for a trial. I/we wrote twice but never got a response and after a few unsuccessful trials elsewhere he thought he was going to have to give it up, then Hull asked him up for a trial and offered him a deal, and then he signed for Liverpool within a season or two. I'm fairly sure I also mentioned it on here at the time.

You mean we are signing Mansfield rejects? :drummer:

I'll get my coat.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue May 16, 2017 9:10 pm

:D :mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue May 16, 2017 9:30 pm

:D :mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue May 16, 2017 10:01 pm

7 minute interview on StagsPlayerHD. He comes across very impressively
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Tue May 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I used to work with his Dad over in Melton Mowbray when Paul would have been about 15/16 and was in the system at West Brom. I remember when West Brom told him that he was being released his Dad (knowing I was a Mansfield fan) asked me to get in touch with Mansfield to ask for a trial. I/we wrote twice but never got a response and after a few unsuccessful trials elsewhere he thought he was going to have to give it up, then Hull asked him up for a trial and offered him a deal, and then he signed for Liverpool within a season or two. I'm fairly sure I bemoaned it on here at the time.

I remember you talking about this at the time and when he went to Hull and I think this is why I thought he was local.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 16, 2017 11:57 pm

We need to sign John Akinde now. I'd also see if Cole Stockton from Tranmere fancies playing in League 2.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed May 17, 2017 12:10 am

I think Akinde is dead in the water now Spencer signed.
Similar player.

Hope not though , Akinde and Mcnulty as the other two strikers would do nicely
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Wed May 17, 2017 12:26 am

i dont see Akinde joining for the fact that Stevie sent him out on loan to Dog & Duck and then released him on a free transfer to Pompey in 12/13.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Wed May 17, 2017 12:31 am

Foxy wrote:i dont see Akinde joining for the fact that Stevie sent him out on loan to Dog & Duck and then released him on a free transfer to Pompey in 12/13.

He only scored once for them then, he's scored 50 in the league now.

Barnet fans reckon he's worth £1Million??? id say 400k at the most.... surely though if clubs rated bogle to be after him so quickly why has no one tried to sign akinde? is he really that good, how did he play against us here?
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed May 17, 2017 7:49 am

Akinde always plays well against us but for me £400k for a 28 year old league 2 striker is too much never mind anything north of that.

Very very good player but the risk is too great for me and likely to be little sell on value. I'm still haunted by the ghost of Iffy Onoura I suppose.

I think it will be much more likely McNulty and a younger guy from the championship.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Wed May 17, 2017 8:16 am

Looks another solid signing.

Rob, hope the recovery goes well. I can get hold of a zimmer frame for you or a grabber if you need one for a bit :)
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Wed May 17, 2017 10:54 am

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:Looks another solid signing.

Rob, hope the recovery goes well. I can get hold of a zimmer frame for you or a grabber if you need one for a bit :)

It's all good mate, amazing what they can do these days, am walking without crutches today. Sadly that does mean I'll be back to work in a couple of weeks! I think the 5 signings to date mark a departure from players we normally sign, these are pretty much proven at a higher level (particularly Diamond and Anderson) so what was the basis of a strong squad is just getting stronger and stronger. I do wish we had signed Dawson though, he was a favourite of mine.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 am

Rob wrote:

It's all good mate, amazing what they can do these days, am walking without crutches today. Sadly that does mean I'll be back to work in a couple of weeks! I think the 5 signings to date mark a departure from players we normally sign, these are pretty much proven at a higher level (particularly Diamond and Anderson) so what was the basis of a strong squad is just getting stronger and stronger. I do wish we had signed Dawson though, he was a favourite of mine.

Dawson has joined Bury along with Jermaine Beckford. They've made quite a few shrewd signings, they could be one to watch in League One next season.
stagmanrob
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed May 17, 2017 12:43 pm

Bury seem to be one of those clubs who are either shaking a bucket or spending big, there is no middle ground. Yet always seem to be above us.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Rob wrote:

Pleased it's going well.

Re the signings, I totally agree, we may not have paid out in fees but I would guess that most of these guys will be on a higher wage than players we would normally be in the market for. That and the ambition of Evans and the club and Evans previous track record must be an attractive prospect for good quality lower league players.

Keep reeling them in Steve!
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby geoffhill » Wed May 17, 2017 2:01 pm

I was talking earlier to a Forest fan.He said that Anderson was excellent for them.Expecting two more strikers and another midfielder and right back.Then we are pretty much sorted.Perhaps another keeper.
geoffhill
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue May 23, 2017 9:51 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue May 23, 2017 9:53 pm

Good interview. He seems a really decent bloke, and the positive words that come across in that interview has to get all our supporters excited at the prospects for the future.

Cheers Martin.
Field Mill - The World's Oldest Professional Football Stadium (children not welcome)
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum