{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Jimmy Spencer Signed

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Jimmy Spencer Signed

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue May 16, 2017 8:57 pm

From the notts forum;

This idea that Spencer lost all his ability after the injury is a classic case of a lie being picked up and repeated so often that loads of fans start to accept it as true. The reality is that when Spencer returned from injury he was working with a new manager and was never given a run of games sufficient to regain match fitness, let alone top form. He has the best first touch I've seen on any (yes, any) Notts forward since the days of Gary Lund, and his hold up play is far superior to that of a League Two (or One) footballer. He's not a prolific goal scorer like Lee Hughes, but if you want a target man who can build attacks, bring others into play and chip in with a few goals himself, he's ideal. Shola Ameobi's also very good at holding up the ball, but he's in his mid-30's and can only decline. Spencer should have his best days ahead of him.

Quite a good write up.
There is one formidable adversary that Arsene Wenger has yet to defeat; it's Arsene Wenger's Coat.
arsene wengers coat
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 16, 2017 8:58 pm

I'm happy with him, not excited, but pleased. He'll be a good squad player although probably won't play week in and week out he will offer something different to the team. Welcome Jimmy!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue May 16, 2017 9:12 pm

A striker who can score with his head and his feet!

We really missed a good aeriel threat last year. The kind who can beat a defender to the ball.

With the type of delivery Byrom, Benning, McDonald and hopefully Anderson will be serving up his aerial presence will be very valuable to us, both for scoring and assisting others.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Frontrowhero » Tue May 16, 2017 9:37 pm

went to alfreton / notts county pre season friendly couple of years ago, posted on stagsnet only quality player on the pitch was spencer. he's top drawer steve evans knows his stuff. could be a great signing
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wh_Stag » Wed May 17, 2017 12:26 am

Noticed in this video that in a game vs Northampton Zander Diamond gave him a great assist. (second to last goal)
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed May 17, 2017 7:33 am

He's had a couple of lengthy injuries let's hope he is not a sick note. But looks useful when fit.
daddycool
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed May 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Wh_Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:I may be wrong but didn't Adam Murray, when he was our manager, try to sign Jimmy Spencer.

not as far as I can remember. Strikers he told me he tried to or wanted to sign included Danny Hylton, John Marquis, Reuben Reid.

I can remember his name popping up a few times during pre-season along with Ryan Bird.

Do you think he's a good addition Martin?

he's played against us for Notts County, Cambridge and Plymouth in the last two seasons and been ineffective on each occasion. However Derry, Adams and now Evans see something in him, so we'll see. In Evans we trust!!

Seen him a few times, so not overwhelmed. The bedwetters wern't crying buckets when he left them. Whether he becomes the perfect partner for a 20 goal a season man, we will have to wait and see....but he isnt the 20 goal man himself.
victor A block
First Team
First Team

Postby James » Wed May 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Neither of Plymouth, or Portsmouth had a player who scored 20 + league goals this season.

In fact 3 of the top 5 top scorers in the division played for teams who didn't even make the play offs.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum