{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sandy Pate Bar Identity Crisis

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Sandy Pate Bar Identity Crisis

Postby Chander Lear » Tue May 16, 2017 9:26 am

Following on from other threads, I want this to be a positve.

This thread isnt meant as a dig in anyway and is written with concern having heard yet another bar manager has resigned. I spend more time in the bar than any other bar, its effectively my local. I want it to succeed but they need to give it its identity and run with it. Currently, I cannot see how its making any sort of money.

Firstly I think its a cracking idea that they try new things and offers, guest beers, wines and cocktails etc.

The is a breakdown of the general week, and I get establishments are not going to be busy all the time, as people don't have that much spare cash.

* Monday nights - Dead. You get the odd table dining, and the lads coming in for a pint from footy
* Tuesday night - Dead unless there is a match on
* Wednesday Night - Packed!, Poker night, classic car club & lads from the league on pitches
* Dont know about thursdays, although i know you get the folks of the kids (youth team)
* Used to be really good on Fridays, but the live bands stopped when the season stopped which meant the customers went elsewhere. Its never really picked back up although they are trying again.
*Saturdays decent during the deason
* Sunday steady flow

I hear whispers that the Broughtons like to Micro Manage on the bar, fair enough they run the club however, they have lost the identity of what the bar is supposed to be. Its currently a mix between the Market in the town centre and '& why not' in town.

The meals in there in general are OK, nothing more. This is where they are trying to be like '& why not'. Well presented food with a little twist on each meal. The problem is, this doesnt reflect the crowd of people that go in there on a regular basis. Unfortunaltey the club are not going to be able to attract a crowd of this ilk for a couple of reasons

* No one wants to eat a meal in an establishment like & why not with screaming kids in their football kits running round
* Half way through the meal 10 sweaty lads walk in from the 5 a side pitches
* there is live football on
* Anyone who doesnt support Mansfield Town have no idea who Sandy Pate is. Believe it or not, it puts people off - Call it something normal.
* The decor and layout of the place doesnt match the food being served.

There is a reason chain pubs like Marstons (cockle) do so well. They know their identity.They have a standard pub menu which is rife with choice. They dont try to over complicate. The main crowd that venture into SPB are men, men dont do afternoon tea.

Sunday afternoon, do you're roast dinners they are great, but equally sometimes someone wants a burger and a pint whilst watching the Super Sunday. Cutting a menu short because they cannot handle a few tables doesnt look good.

So here it is... Are they '& why not' or are they a sports bar?

My opinion - Bring back the standard sports bar which it originally was. Get a sports bar menu (pub grub), advertise the hell out of live sports during the week and weekend, and continue with your live band Fridays.

Eitherway I'll still go down and support the club, but i feel its putting people off. We all want the place to thrive and make money.

I hope the club take some of the comments on board, and hopefully any other contructive comments which may appear below.
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Re: Sandy Pate Bar Identity Crisis

Postby stagone1959 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:07 am

Most people don't know who Sir John Cockle was,does it put anyone off?Sandy Pate was a sportsman, it's a sports bar, therefore appropriately named.
stagone1959
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chander Lear » Tue May 16, 2017 10:19 am

stagone1959 wrote:Most people don't know who Sir John Cockle was,does it put anyone off?Sandy Pate was a sportsman, it's a sports bar, therefore appropriately named.

Fair point, just stating what i've been told.
You're second comment has hit the nail on the head though - 'its a sports bar'. This is exactly the point, I believe its a sports bar, management don't and its go lost in no mans land.
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue May 16, 2017 10:38 am

stagone1959 wrote:Most people don't know who Sir John Cockle was,does it put anyone off?Sandy Pate was a sportsman, it's a sports bar, therefore appropriately named.

if you read this, you will know who Sir John was

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/d ... 000/page/8
Can't see us scoring enough goals. - 23rd July
Can't see us scoring enough goals - 12th March
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby nick_stags » Tue May 16, 2017 10:39 am

I think you're right about the sports bar element - that is what it should be. Sofas and comfy chairs to chill and watch the sport, big screens all around the bar. Proper tables with proper pub food.

Not been out in Mansfield in a good few years, but are there any other true sports bars in town?
Last edited by nick_stags on Tue May 16, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Chander Lear » Tue May 16, 2017 10:50 am

Nope no others. The Green Dragon are trying to give it a go, but its not really a sports bar.
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue May 16, 2017 11:02 am

It'd probably do a roaring trade if it was called The Premiership Top Six Sports Bar'. ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby H_o_l_l_o » Tue May 16, 2017 11:19 am

I think they could do more with the outside area if they want to attract people over the summer. Who doesn't like getting sozzled in the sun!!
What it needs first is something to act as a wind break - it's a wind tunnel as soon as there's a bit of a breeze
H_o_l_l_o
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chander Lear » Tue May 16, 2017 11:25 am

H_o_l_l_o wrote:I think they could do more with the outside area if they want to attract people over the summer. Who doesn't like getting sozzled in the sun!!
What it needs first is something to act as a wind break - it's a wind tunnel as soon as there's a bit of a breeze

Yeh totally, its a sun trap. Although I was trying to avoid commenting on anything which involved spending vast amounts of money
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Tue May 16, 2017 11:28 am

Used to go in at least three times a week. Then Monday night chat with current/former player cancelled. Live music on a Friday night ended. Then to cap it all my favourite Cottage Pie removed from menu!

No longer a customer.
Chris M
First Team
First Team

Postby stag008 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:09 pm

We used to go in after playing 5 a side every Wednesday, but they took the pitch off us for the youth team to play on, that's 10 pints a week less! :evil:
stag008
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue May 16, 2017 12:25 pm

stag008 wrote:We used to go in after playing 5 a side every Wednesday, but they took the pitch off us for the youth team to play on, that's 10 pints a week less! :evil:

In fairness that's nothing to do with the Sandy Pate Bar. Hopefully when Woburn is up and running the Youth Teams will be moved there so we can book the 3G pitches out on week nights again.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Chander Lear » Tue May 16, 2017 12:42 pm

stag008 wrote:We used to go in after playing 5 a side every Wednesday, but they took the pitch off us for the youth team to play on, that's 10 pints a week less! :evil:

Yeh thats not the SPB, they actually go quite a bit to try and accomadate us when we ask.

The staff and their willingness to assist is top notch
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue May 16, 2017 12:47 pm

nick_stags wrote:I think you're right about the sports bar element - that is what it should be. Sofas and comfy chairs to chill and watch the sport, big screens all around the bar. Proper tables with proper pub food.

Not been out in Mansfield in a good few years, but are there any other true sports bars in town?

Agree about the extra furniture, but i'm not sure it'd work on match days.

I like the fact it's not overwhelmed with memorabilia and kept fairly low key. Maybe we could add a subtle one around the central pillar though? We could call it The Billy Dearden leaning post - i know Jamie would love that! :P

Other than that i'm chuffed we have a bar to be proud of
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Tue May 16, 2017 12:59 pm

Chander Lear wrote:Following on from other threads, I want this to be a positve.

This thread isnt meant as a dig in anyway and is written with concern having heard yet another bar manager has resigned. I spend more time in the bar than any other bar, its effectively my local. I want it to succeed but they need to give it its identity and run with it. Currently, I cannot see how its making any sort of money.

Firstly I think its a cracking idea that they try new things and offers, guest beers, wines and cocktails etc.

The is a breakdown of the general week, and I get establishments are not going to be busy all the time, as people don't have that much spare cash.

* Monday nights - Dead. You get the odd table dining, and the lads coming in for a pint from footy
* Wednesday Night - Packed!, Poker night, classic car club & lads from the league on pitches
* Dont know about thursdays, although i know you get the folks of the kids (youth team)
* Used to be really good on Fridays, but the live bands stopped when the season stopped which meant the customers went elsewhere. Its never really picked back up although they are trying again.
* Sunday steady flow

I hear whispers that the Broughtons like to Micro Manage on the bar, fair enough they run the club however, they have lost the identity of what the bar is supposed to be. Its currently a mix between the Market in the town centre and '& why not' in town.

The meals in there in general are OK, nothing more. This is where they are trying to be like '& why not'. Well presented food with a little twist on each meal. The problem is, this doesnt reflect the crowd of people that go in there on a regular basis. Unfortunaltey the club are not going to be able to attract a crowd of this ilk for a couple of reasons

* No one wants to eat a meal in an establishment like & why not with screaming kids in their football kits running round
* Anyone who doesnt support Mansfield Town have no idea who Sandy Pate is. Believe it or not, it puts people off - Call it something normal.

There is a reason chain pubs like Marstons (cockle) do so well. They know their identity.They have a standard pub menu which is rife with choice. They dont try to over complicate. The main crowd that venture into SPB are men, men dont do afternoon tea.

Sunday afternoon, do you're roast dinners they are great, but equally sometimes someone wants a burger and a pint whilst watching the Super Sunday. Cutting a menu short because they cannot handle a few tables doesnt look good.

My opinion - Bring back the standard sports bar which it originally was. Get a sports bar menu (pub grub), advertise the hell out of live sports during the week and weekend, and continue with your live band Fridays.

Eitherway I'll still go down and support the club, but i feel its putting people off. We all want the place to thrive and make money.

I hope the club take some of the comments on board, and hopefully any other contructive comments which may appear below.

:good_post: :good_post: :good_post:
NAIL HIT FIRMLY ON HEAD!!!
it needs to go back to how it was when first opened!!! Reasonably priced food that does exactly as it says on the tin!!!
It'll never be 'Andwhynotillrosso' and it'll never get the same clientele!!!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 16, 2017 1:35 pm

I regularly use this facility and I'm very pleased with it as it is thanks.

You say there are no other sports bars in town but Sandy's isn't in town and the crowd who use town centre pubs won't walk that far for a pint. Additionally wives don't generally like that type of bar and like it or not the main stay of the customer base are families and couples. That's why it is always full on kiddy game night etc.

Although I accept it isn't one thing or another, I firmly believe it doesn't have the customer Base to be purely a sports bar or a family eating place. It has to be a bit of both or the place is half empty.

I think the staff and club have worked very hard to bring differing elements to this bar and for me it works as well as can be expected over a full week period. If all nights were the same the place would die through lack of use as even the most hardened drinkers rarely go out 7 nights a week.

As for the name, the name of the stags most consistent and dedicated player should be good enough even though lots don't remember him. I know that Sandy considers it a great honour the bar carries his name even thou he doesn't benefit financially from the club using his name.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tre Cool » Tue May 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Is it Jonathan that's left? That's a shame, after the brilliant Marian left he deserved the job after all the hours he put in whilst working 2 jobs!

I have respect for the hard working staff at SPB particularly on a match day, having worked there myself for a while when I lost my job last year.

I agree to some extent about the identity crisis. I remember a few months ago they tried a French gormet evening, which I can't see how it would appeal to the clientele and in the current surroundings.

I also agree about the naming of the bar, although it would be a shame to strip a true gent from the name of the bar, however I think a more informal name such as "Patey's sports bar" is shorter, snappier and still honours the great man. I can imagine fplk saying "let's have a drink in Patey's." it rolls off the tongue better than "The Sandy Pate Sports Bar"

I think they should bring back the blue menu as all of my favourites have gone from there.

They should bring back the evenings with on Monday's in the new season.
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chander Lear » Tue May 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Balanced points, which was what i wanted from this.
SPBS - Agree, but the place is more than half empty now, so something isnt working. I like the fact it attracts that sort of crowd and not 'drongos' but take it back to basics and get punters back.
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Tue May 16, 2017 3:09 pm

so is it Jonny that's quit I didn't think he was a manager down there
old ram stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chander Lear » Tue May 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Nope, its Jack that has left, Jonathan is still there
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Tue May 16, 2017 3:25 pm

is jack the one with the tweed jacket, glad Jonny still there who else can I donate 5 quid a week to for 5 bits of yellow paper
old ram stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chander Lear » Tue May 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Yeh thats him. yep totally agree, nice chap
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue May 16, 2017 3:48 pm

It needs a manager promoted from within.An outsider just doesnt get the feel of the place.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Tue May 16, 2017 5:38 pm

Chander Lear wrote:Following on from other threads, I want this to be a positve.

* Sunday steady flow

Sorry but disagree about the food only being OK. We use the place probably about 4-5 times per month and the quality of the food is spot on. Preferred the previous menu but there's still plenty to choose from and its always very nice.
Grendon Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby my name is jonas » Tue May 16, 2017 6:25 pm

I must admit I don't go as much as I use too but I do like the sandy pate bar.

Totally agree the menu should be more pub grubby and be based as a sports bar.
Even offers like beer and burger and stuff like that.
Even if say like spoons do a beer and burger for 6 quid or something. Beer and a curry the next night etc

Could even say happy hour during live european games or something.

Maybe have the pool table free on certain week days, maybe get an air hockey table or something daft in there for novelty too.

Need to pimp it out more on social media though for sure.
my name is jonas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum