{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Season Ticket Prices

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Season Ticket Prices

Postby Sneag » Sat May 13, 2017 11:00 am

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:They want to see better quality on the field, but begrudge paying a bit extra for it. I think this idea that JR should foot the entire promotion project is wrong. I echo what already has been said, there are ways to attend cheaper but some just look at the dearest price and moan.

But surely the point that is being made is if the prices are attractive together with better performances on the pitch, then the numbers will INCREASE - thus contributing to "the 100% Backing of SE" pledged by the Radfords.

I think there are two separate issues here. Not many regulars would be surprised or even begrudge a price increase on ST or adult premium tickets by way of our contribution to Evo's warchest. I fully expected my ST to go up and wasn't bothered in the least by the prospect, so getting the early bird was a very pleasant and unnecessary surprise (but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth).

BUT the walk up price for U18 is stupidly expensive, it will deter U18s from coming, and has been said over & over this is the demographic that will secure the long term future of the club. The aspect I find really puzzling about the clubs attitude, is that unaccompanied U18s paying on the gate must make up a tiny part of the clubs fan base at the moment (simply because the club actively discourages them from coming), so the club really would have had nothing to lose & everything to gain by making U18 walk up prices as cheap as possible.

The £7 with a QLE membership is a great price, but it's requiring a teenager (remember how your brain worked as a teenager) to cough up money up front for a membership & commit to going to all the games to recoup their upfront costs. The teenage brain just doesn't work like that.

I do, of course, agree with you and Doomy over junior pricing, however, I do think as a parent of a 15 year old, if I wanted them to get into the ground cheaper I think I would buy them the QLE membership and would remind them to get their ticket before the game. £7 then represents outstanding value. I do think it should be £7 anyway, but if it was the club would lose income from away support as they would have to charge the same. The membership scheme is a way around this. It is impossible for the club to please everyone, but in the QLE scheme they have given the opportunity for cheap admission without affecting income gained from, say, 300 U18 Notts Co supporters etc, etc.

Pre supposing that the parent a) has any interest in supporting their kid, b) has any interest in supporting Stags.

Put any kind of obstacle in front of a teenage kid & they will simply revert back to their phones/I-pads etc and not bother trying to negotiate the hurdle.

If the club don't want their support, then fine but don't be bitching later that the crowds aren't as high as they'd hoped, and as fans we need to stop taking the piss about the age of Notts County's fan base, because we are getting equally geriatric in make up.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat May 13, 2017 11:08 am

Conker wrote:I don't think any increases on prices is acceptable.

And yet no doubt you think it's perfectly acceptable for the club to employ a top rate manager and give him funds to challenge for success... just so long as you don't have to pay more.

I think the points about youth prices in this thread are spot on. There needs to be a longer term view and an eye on our future, which seems to be missing.

However all the moaning about a £2 increase when we're being told there will be investment and a real push, all seems a bit ott... As i said, seems everyone is happy to take JRs money but not do there bit.

On reflection i think the prices are high (generally for L2 football) but loyal fans are rewarded and they are clearly trying to encourage others to get a ST (something many said JR didn't like). If they are going to invest in the team we need to get extra money from somewhere. Having a higher price does also mean we can charge away fans more too.

I have no doubt the football will be 10% better the start of this season than it was the start of last season. So the price increase seems justifiable.

For the record I'm a ST holder but will be spending my savings with the club anyway.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat May 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Sneag wrote:
Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:They want to see better quality on the field, but begrudge paying a bit extra for it. I think this idea that JR should foot the entire promotion project is wrong. I echo what already has been said, there are ways to attend cheaper but some just look at the dearest price and moan.

But surely the point that is being made is if the prices are attractive together with better performances on the pitch, then the numbers will INCREASE - thus contributing to "the 100% Backing of SE" pledged by the Radfords.

I think there are two separate issues here. Not many regulars would be surprised or even begrudge a price increase on ST or adult premium tickets by way of our contribution to Evo's warchest. I fully expected my ST to go up and wasn't bothered in the least by the prospect, so getting the early bird was a very pleasant and unnecessary surprise (but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth).

BUT the walk up price for U18 is stupidly expensive, it will deter U18s from coming, and has been said over & over this is the demographic that will secure the long term future of the club. The aspect I find really puzzling about the clubs attitude, is that unaccompanied U18s paying on the gate must make up a tiny part of the clubs fan base at the moment (simply because the club actively discourages them from coming), so the club really would have had nothing to lose & everything to gain by making U18 walk up prices as cheap as possible.

The £7 with a QLE membership is a great price, but it's requiring a teenager (remember how your brain worked as a teenager) to cough up money up front for a membership & commit to going to all the games to recoup their upfront costs. The teenage brain just doesn't work like that.

I do, of course, agree with you and Doomy over junior pricing, however, I do think as a parent of a 15 year old, if I wanted them to get into the ground cheaper I think I would buy them the QLE membership and would remind them to get their ticket before the game. £7 then represents outstanding value. I do think it should be £7 anyway, but if it was the club would lose income from away support as they would have to charge the same. The membership scheme is a way around this. It is impossible for the club to please everyone, but in the QLE scheme they have given the opportunity for cheap admission without affecting income gained from, say, 300 U18 Notts Co supporters etc, etc.

Pre supposing that the parent a) has any interest in supporting their kid, b) has any interest in supporting Stags.

Put any kind of obstacle in front of a teenage kid & they will simply revert back to their phones/I-pads etc and not bother trying to negotiate the hurdle.

If the club don't want their support, then fine but don't be bitching later that the crowds aren't as high as they'd hoped, and as fans we need to stop taking the piss about the age of Notts County's fan base, because we are getting equally geriatric in make up.

I'm not sure if I only lurched around with the minority when I was a kid but my parents had no interest in Mansfield Town. My friends had parents with no interest in Mansfield Town. I certainly hadn't the luxury of having them buy me a season ticket: indeed, they'd have laughed like a drain had I asked for a season ticket. None of my pals had season tickets. We did jobs, such as delivering papers, and paid on the gate - that's what you did when you hadn't a parent to subsidise your hobby.

Fast forward thirty-plus years and it is now a minimum £12, unless you have the money for your membership card (it should be cheaper behind the goal for youth anyhow; including in the away end). Sneag is right, put yourself in to the mind of a teenager; I certainly hadn't the wits or enthusiasm to buy a membership card (which bought you absolutely zilch) and then have the ability to buy in advance, online - the last time I checked my kids couldn't purchase goods online without a helpful and understanding parent.

But why not let the already confused, hormone-besieged just learn that there's certain facts to growing up: if you want to see your local fourth division football club, don't forget to jump through the hoops, climb an awkward wall and crawl through mucky water to have the honour.........wait? What do you mean you'd sooner stay home, spend pocket money on your phone and watch Manu on the telly?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat May 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Amber Andy wrote:The club cannot charge the away fans more on the day than the home fans. Given that there will be some games next season with a large away following I can understand why the club are charging £24.

That's why you should have Category A, B & C games and prices. For the Category A Notts, Lincoln, Spireites games you could charge £25 as you know the away end is going to sell out.

For Category C games where no one wants to come on a Tuesday night in December to watch Accrington, Exeter etc lower it to £18 for example. Make it kids for a fiver and you'll get a few more paying adults in by default. It's not rocket science
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat May 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Jamie wrote:
Conker wrote:I don't think any increases on prices is acceptable.

And yet no doubt you think it's perfectly acceptable for the club to employ a top rate manager and give him funds to challenge for success... just so long as you don't have to pay more.

No I don't think it's acceptable actually as I have let known on this forum.

Soz about that youth.
Conker
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat May 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Sneag wrote:
Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

I think you are underestimating the intelligence of the teenager. You are assuming they don't know a bargain when they see one.

It would not make business sense to lower prices for those who only turned up for two or three matches per season. Otherwise the club would have to charge the away support the same discounted prices on the day, thus losing a lot of income. The club need to strike a balance especially if they are trying to fund promotion.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby steve-hymas » Sat May 13, 2017 4:54 pm

For the record .I asked and not many actually pay on the day now .Most tickets are pre-purchased like every other commodity nowadays .you can order food on your mobile now and it looks like even in Mansfield everyone has a phone from 7 years old .
Strangely we also sell more of the dearest tickets in the ground than any cheap areas we offer .
My only advice would be try and make the most of the early bird season ticket prices.This has been done to thank the loyal fan base we have and is an offer for them .
It's going to be a great season for any stags fan .dip your bread .
:coys:
steve-hymas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sat May 13, 2017 5:28 pm

[quote="Amber Andy]
I think you are underestimating the intelligence of the teenager. You are assuming they don't know a bargain when they see one.

It would not make business sense to lower prices for those who only turned up for two or three matches per season. Otherwise the club would have to charge the away support the same discounted prices on the day, thus losing a lot of income. The club need to strike a balance especially if they are trying to fund promotion.[/quote]

It's not intelligence they lack Andy it's motivation. :)

The point with the kids who only come to a few games is it's a different group there each week, no one starts their love affair with a football club by buying a season ticket or a membership, it start with a casual trip and over a period of time to madness gradually takes hold.

Making offers to people who go every week is nice, but not essential, getting out in the town and trawling in the next generation of Stags fans certainly is!! Look around the upper west on any given Saturday, it's a miracle most of the crowd can still handle the stairs.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat May 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Behind the goal is not a discount price, it's a relevant price for a poorer view of the game; the same as you'll see at virtually every form of entertainment. Quarry Lane and the North Stand should be a lower price, that's why the QLE has been abandoned by most support - it's never been a laughable £20 view.

What would be wrong with the club making that stand a straight fiver for youth?... And the same in the away end?... What's wrong with making empty seats accessible to future support; instead of row after row of fading plastic? - If it bothers MTFC so much about the ghastly away fans getting a cheaper ticket (?) then why don't they just give their membership cards away for free?

I couldn't give a crap about loading the team up with bloated wage-earners in a desperate attempt to climb out of our division. I've had thirty-odd years of moderate football and I still enjoy it anyway.
I could give a crap about the club sleepwalking in to a future that has missed out on a generation of potential support.

I know it bores people that would sooner lampoon a boatload of cash on quick success, but I prefer a bit of direction and the involvement of wanting to secure the future with fresh blood in the stands. No excitement in the days of 'now now now now' in that though.
Last edited by DoomMerchant on Sat May 13, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat May 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Sneag wrote:[quote="Amber Andy]

It would not make business sense to lower prices for those who only turned up for two or three matches per season. Otherwise the club would have to charge the away support the same discounted prices on the day, thus losing a lot of income. The club need to strike a balance especially if they are trying to fund promotion.[/quote]

It's not intelligence they lack Andy it's motivation. :)

The point with the kids who only come to a few games is it's a different group there each week, no one starts their love affair with a football club by buying a season ticket or a membership, it start with a casual trip and over a period of time to madness gradually takes hold.

Making offers to people who go every week is nice, but not essential, getting out in the town and trawling in the next generation of Stags fans certainly is!! Look around the upper west on any given Saturday, it's a miracle most of the crowd can still handle the stairs.[/quote]

We're wasting our breath pal. Some just don't get it and clearly began their professional football watching via a different route.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat May 13, 2017 5:42 pm

steve-hymas wrote:For the record .I asked and not many actually pay on the day now .Most tickets are pre-purchased like every other commodity nowadays .you can order food on your mobile now and it looks like even in Mansfield everyone has a phone from 7 years old .
Strangely we also sell more of the dearest tickets in the ground than any cheap areas we offer .
My only advice would be try and make the most of the early bird season ticket prices.This has been done to thank the loyal fan base we have and is an offer for them .

Steve. I live a long way from the ground. But I am considering a ST because I like to support the club. This will depend on the games I can get to so the fixture list will be crucial to that.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat May 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Season tickets are the best value.We are going to have the best season for many years so get your money out and get a season ticket.My ticket on the early bird deal is the same as last season.Cannot wait For the first game.We are going up 100%
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat May 13, 2017 8:50 pm

geoffhill wrote:Season tickets are the best value.We are going to have the best season for many years so get your money out and get a season ticket.My ticket on the early bird deal is the same as last season.Cannot wait For the first game.We are going up 100%
Good advice Geoff and I echo your optimism, but promotion is by no means a certainty.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat May 13, 2017 9:37 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
steve-hymas wrote:For the record .I asked and not many actually pay on the day now .Most tickets are pre-purchased like every other commodity nowadays .you can order food on your mobile now and it looks like even in Mansfield everyone has a phone from 7 years old .

Steve. I live a long way from the ground. But I am considering a ST because I like to support the club. This will depend on the games I can get to so the fixture list will be crucial to that.

I think with early bird deal you can miss 8-9 games and still break even.
Do it!
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat May 13, 2017 11:08 pm

Spiritater wrote:

Do it!

Is early bird not just available for renewals? I'll be a new ST holder. Though have historically had one for 8 yrs.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Big Lad Stag » Sat May 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Earlybird available to all.
Big Lad Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat May 13, 2017 11:42 pm

I might add - season ticket = fantastic
Pay on the gate = grotesque
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun May 14, 2017 8:14 am

Spiritater wrote:

Do it!

Is early bird not just available for renewals? I'll be a new ST holder. Though have historically had one for 8 yrs.

If you are buying a season ticket and you didn't have one last season, you can still buy an early bird but your choice is restricted as you can't buy a seat that was a season ticket seat. As they don't go on sale until 9th June.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun May 14, 2017 9:11 am

DoomMerchant wrote:I might add - season ticket = fantastic
Pay on the gate = grotesque

Yep. Contributing push/pull factor as to why I'm getting one today.

I suppose it's worked when you think about it.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun May 14, 2017 9:27 am

Spiritater wrote:I said when JR 'backed Evo 100%' that it'd be interesting to see whether the fan base'd do the same, to give a tiny bit extra to help. Seems as though the fans want a better class of footy for 2/6d but are quite ok to let someone else foot the bill.

Exactly. There's apparently been some manipulation of the facts on here. Looks like anyone wanting to go to a game will pay £20 if they have any sense. If they plan properly then that's a decent price. The world has changed since the 70s and the days of the catching the number 7 bus, mooching round Revolver Records till match time have gone. It's a different world these days. The demographic is different.

I can't get to games at home but if I could, I'd get a season ticket. There are ways of getting an early bird and stretching the payments. Some will always whine though.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun May 14, 2017 9:56 am

Fantastic offer. No excuses.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stoney » Sun May 14, 2017 10:28 am

Paul, you can't get the early bird on split payments, they're not offering that service. It's £370 instead of £295 if you want to pay over 10 months.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun May 14, 2017 11:51 am

:) :mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun May 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Stoney wrote:Paul, you can't get the early bird on split payments, they're not offering that service. It's £370 instead of £295 if you want to pay over 10 months.

'Failing to plan is planning to fail'.

The more wised up you are as a football supporter the better.

Those who already have ST's will have saved a certain amount per day.... maybe 60-70p, even the ones who'd expected a rise would've stuck a quid in a jar per day.
Then hey presto come renewal time everything's in place. And if like me you've a surplus then I've enough now to get a new shirt with the leftover cash, all gonna go to t'club.

Then there are those who spend, spend, spend on jolly boys outings to Malta etc, etc and live hand to mouth and then moan like they've just all of a sudden been lumbered with some unaffordable bill. It's not as though you haven't noticed we've had a half decent manager now (since Nov 16) or that JR is doing things to progress us to the next level. It's been evident for a while now. But those who fail to plan for a ST when they know it's coming and they know they're gonna buy one shouldn't cry when it comes to paying up.
Me, well I've already now started saving for 2018/19's ticket in League 1. :D

'Failing to plan is planning to fail.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun May 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Stoney wrote:Paul, you can't get the early bird on split payments, they're not offering that service. It's £370 instead of £295 if you want to pay over 10 months.

The season ticket being announced should t be a surprise to anyone who wants to get one? I know my bike service is going to cost so I'm putting money aside.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum