{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Next generation of supporters

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Next generation of supporters

Postby stagmanrob » Wed May 10, 2017 9:36 am

It's been said on here time and time again, until most of us are blue in the face probably, but here goes again....

We could do with putting on an offer of really cheap season tickets and matchday tickets for kids.

I wouldn't even mind if Adult prices went up slightly to compensate this, but ideally if they stayed the same, and the kiosk food was reasonably priced, the extra disposable income would probably be spent in there on sweets, crisps and pop.

Now is a better time than any to do such an offer. Raised excitement/expectation, and all signs pointing towards a successful and entertaining season in prospect. If we can get plenty of kids through the turnstiles to witness it, we have them hooked and realising there is a whole new world away from Fifa games and Sky Sports.

We continually get digs thrown at us (and rightly so in a lot of cases) about our poor attendances.....especially from Direites.
However, looking back at when they were playing at Saltergate, were they really that much better than ours now? No they weren't... so what changed?

The new stadium enticed families and people who were floating fans to pop along and have a neb at the new facilities....I'm sure the same happens with most new stadia....remember Brighton's attendances at the Goldstone, and Swansea's at the Vetch for example?
Luckily enough (for them at the time) the new floating fans coming in coincided with what many of them regard as one of their best footballing sides playing entertaining and winning football as they won the league and Paint Pot Trophy. This made their next generation of fans catch the bug, and stay on, even after relegation....but success still continued with another Paint Pot final, another League win, and a Play Off Semi.
That's why their attendances are where we'd aspire ours to be over time.
Recently though, living in Chesterfield, I've heard so many of these floating fans of old now contemplating returning to being just that again. Whereas I saw so many young kids walking around in Direite shirts only a few years ago, they are now being replacedby Chelski, Barcelona or Real Madrid tops. Plenty of adult fans are not renewing season tickets, or they are picking and choosing games, or even waiting to see how the season starts before making a decision on whether to attend or not. A poor start to their season could probably see attendances falling to the Saltergate levels again (here's hoping) and their club falling even further financially as a consequence.

How does this apply to us?

Well we sit on the cusp of something special being built for next season, so we need to do something to get the fans in so that they will witness it, and want to stay for at least a good couple of years afterwards like what happened with them. We can't have a shiny new stadium to do that, and Stags fans of old are a fickle bunch who need a hell of a lot of persuasion. Whenever we've had any form of special promotion to entice them back, the entertainment on offer (Pay what you want being the main one) made their minds up for them.
I don't expect to win them back again in a hurry, but the kids could be a different thing entirely.
A good, stupidly cheap offer to kids could reap dividends with the season we are expecting. Never before has it made more sense than to do it now.
I remember having a season ticket as a kid in the old Bishop Street stand when it was the Family Stand, for £60 for the season, and that was under H**slam, with poor football and a H**lam-esque cheap playing budget assembled squad!! So we can't have any excuse for not doing something at least the same or ideally below that to ensure we have a future generation to follow an ambitious and expanding club.

£18 for a parent and child was and is good. However, I'm sure if it was cheaper to bring along more than one child, most adults would. My Mrs has no interest in football like most women don't. But like an average family size, I have two kids. If I had three, four or five kids, it'd be nice to be able to afford to bring them along. I'm sure there are plenty of folk in that situation.
The Radford's have three themselves, and they claim to realise that the cost of football is hard on families in our area. I know they don't have any financial worries of their own, but surely they realise a typical Mansfield bloke with three kids of his own probably couldn't afford to bring them all?
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Re: Next generation of supporters

Postby ParisStag » Wed May 10, 2017 9:50 am

I agree with cheap/free season tickets for kids, but I don't think now is the right time. After a promotion winning season or half way through the season when we are top or high in the league would be better. Kids like a winning team. Then, have great deals in League 1 - this would prosper.

Alongside this, football in the community needs to do its part. Make the club a constant presence in the community, in schools and local kids clubs and brand Mansfield will be a more attractive thing overall.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stafford » Wed May 10, 2017 10:31 am

Free tickets to school kids should have always been done. More often than not that'd mean a kid getting in for free but them having to bring a paying parent. Seems to make sense to me that we hand out 1000 free tickets every game to school kids.
Woke up this morning feeling fine...

First Stags game:

Stags 0 - 0 Exeter City
April 24, 1993
Stafford
First Team
First Team

Postby stagmanrob » Wed May 10, 2017 10:47 am

Any of you with kids will know, especially younger ones, that they can level a house in less than five minutes.

You clear up their mess in one room, to find they've moved into another and wrecked that.

It's not rocket science to see that Football is largely a male dominated industry. That's because most women aren't interested in it, and never will be.
Every weekend without fail, my Mrs tells me to take the kids out of her way so she can simply tackle the admin in the house without any danger of it looking like a constant losing battle.
This isn't an isolated thing, it happens with every family with kids. If it was cheap enough, taking your kids out of the way on a Saturday for a guaranteed 2 and a bit hours at least would be a godsend to most working mothers, and more than likely encouraged.
Last edited by stagmanrob on Wed May 10, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed May 10, 2017 10:51 am

ParisStag wrote:I agree with cheap/free season tickets for kids, but I don't think now is the right time. After a promotion winning season or half way through the season when we are top or high in the league would be better. Kids like a winning team. Then, have great deals in League 1 - this would prosper.

Alongside this, football in the community needs to do its part. Make the club a constant presence in the community, in schools and local kids clubs and brand Mansfield will be a more attractive thing overall.

For me that's more of a gamble. We're favourites for promotion now, and feeling is good amongst us all right now. Jump on it whilst it's there. If we won the league/got promoted and tried to do it for the next season, I think we'd be very lucky to still have Evans here, and we'd be an even smaller fish in a bigger pond, and nowhere near to being bookies' favourites.
We need them hooked whilst doing well and the fans are right behind the club drumming up an atmosphere.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Wed May 10, 2017 9:44 pm

This is a massive thread and I agree with Robs points wholeheartedly!!! The kids are the future fans of our club and we need to be targeting them NOW so they can enjoy this journey we are about to go on!!!
Me personally, I would make all kids 16yrs and under FREE Admission for the first home game of the season!!! To try and get the towns youngsters to take note of their local club!!!

****THE TIME IS NOW FOR THE FUTURE OF OUR FOOTBALL CLUB****
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby SINA STAG » Wed May 10, 2017 9:57 pm

If the club was introduced free under 13 ticket for the purchase of an adult ticket I don't mind helping out any family who would like me to take up the offer for their child more the merrier inside the ground I'm sure that child would want her/his mum or dad to buy them a shirt scarf gloves etc...

If it happens feel free to pm me I'm sure the club wouldn't mind my offer on adopting a child for a free season watching the Stags
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Sorry Rob, but after the last five years I think I'm all burned out over contributing to this particular issue. Readers have given up the will to live and only Steve H, within the club, has any real desire to make it affordable for youngsters at the gate on matchday.

You have my very best wishes in taking over the mantle of junior Stags champion. I hope you have better luck than me my friend.
Reinventing disappointment since 1897
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Wed May 10, 2017 10:57 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Sorry Rob, but after the last five years I think I'm all burned out over contributing to this particular issue. Readers have given up the will to live and only Steve H, within the club, has any real desire to make it affordable for youngsters at the gate on matchday.

You have my very best wishes in taking over the mantle of junior Stags champion. I hope you have better luck than me my friend.

Good post doomy, I to have given hope on the junior st prices. The club is getting everything right apart from u18 prices. Should be no more than £50, and that's way more than most clubs our level
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Foxy » Thu May 11, 2017 2:25 am

Rip down the advertising boards and sort out The Family Stand.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu May 11, 2017 8:07 am

Frontrowhero wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:Sorry Rob, but after the last five years I think I'm all burned out over contributing to this particular issue. Readers have given up the will to live and only Steve H, within the club, has any real desire to make it affordable for youngsters at the gate on matchday.

Good post doomy, I to have given hope on the junior st prices. The club is getting everything right apart from u18 prices. Should be no more than £50, and that's way more than most clubs our level

A ditto from me too.

Make the walk up price for u18s £5 or there abouts & if people don't like te idea of being surrounded by gobby herberts the restrict the offer to certain parts of the ground like the QLE.

And remember todays gobby herbert is tomorrows doting Dad bringing his kids to the footie.

*I do realise some herberts are herbertesses.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu May 11, 2017 9:35 am

That's all I've asked for too Sneag. Not too much to ask for and was always good enough for Burton (wherever they are these days). A fiver in hand is much nicer than another empty plaggy seat.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby H_o_l_l_o » Thu May 11, 2017 9:53 am

Don't underestimate what the youth structure at the club is doing in terms of generating youngsters interest in MTFC. They have squads from under 6's upwards, which must be 300+ kids. The right hand side of the Quarry Lane stand is full of them on a matchday. If they don't turn out to be our next superstar player - there's a very good chance they become a lifelong supporter.
H_o_l_l_o
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bros » Thu May 11, 2017 11:55 am

Why not do what the car insurers do and make it cheaper the more kids you bring. Parent and child £18,2nd child £5, 3rd child £4 and so on. Do this if they are under say 13 and charge the older ones £5. As has been said they spend more money at the kiosks
Bros
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu May 11, 2017 12:07 pm

The kids that get lost are the teens who don't come with their parents. They aren't catered for and are expected to pay a tenner at the gate - which is ludicrous.

I've said before, me and my mates didn't come with our parents, we came as a mob, rolling up to pay our pound, not a grown up in sight. Kids aren't encouraged to do that in Mtfc's current guise.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Thu May 11, 2017 3:59 pm

:coys:
Last edited by thefamilyvontrapp on Thu May 11, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Thu May 11, 2017 4:01 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:The kids that get lost are the teens who don't come with their parents. They aren't catered for and are expected to pay a tenner at the gate - which is ludicrous.

I've said before, me and my mates didn't come with our parents, we came as a mob, rolling up to pay our pound, not a grown up in sight. Kids aren't encouraged to do that in Mtfc's current guise.

That's a very good point, I started going in 84/85 season with a couple of mates from school!!
It was a good place to meet new friends too!!
Come on MTFC, the time is now to grab these young uns and get them interested during the good times(potentially)!!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Thu May 11, 2017 4:23 pm

thefamilyvontrapp wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:The kids that get lost are the teens who don't come with their parents. They aren't catered for and are expected to pay a tenner at the gate - which is ludicrous.

That's a very good point, I started going in 84/85 season with a couple of mates from school!!
It was a good place to meet new friends too!!
Come on MTFC, the time is now to grab these young uns and get them interested during the good times(potentially)!!!

It's a rite of passage isn't it. A first step to adulthood.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri May 12, 2017 10:44 am

Once again young adult & junior walk up ticket prices WRONG!

raspberry the membership scheme in the QLE the kids who aren't already fans won't use.

U18 £7 that would be okay, no membership fee up front, no hoops, just a simple one size fits all price for young people who have no real income. fgs why is the club so blind on this issue, when they're getting so many other things right.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Mon May 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Sneag wrote:Once again young adult & junior walk up ticket prices WRONG!

raspberry the membership scheme in the QLE the kids who aren't already fans won't use.

U18 £7 that would be okay, no membership fee up front, no hoops, just a simple one size fits all price for young people who have no real income. fgs why is the club so blind on this issue, when they're getting so many other things right.

Can't help but agree here^^^^

The club are missing out big time on attracting new young support!!! Come on Stags think about the future with the next generation of youth!!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby Amberheart » Mon May 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Foxy wrote:Rip down the advertising boards and sort out The Family Stand.

I agree , the seats are still in place , just demolish the old roof structure & have an open stand , shouldn't cost that much to do ?
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon May 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Everything I feel, all wrapped up in one perfectly put post.

This issue lets, what is otherwise a slowly progressing club, down hugely. It can never be considered a full community club whilst a part of the community is excluded.

How strange that every other aspect of the club is marching in one direction, whilst this single issue is in hard reverse. Bizarre.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Mon May 15, 2017 9:44 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

Everything I feel, all wrapped up in one perfectly put post.

This issue lets, what is otherwise a slowly progressing club, down hugely. It can never be considered a full community club whilst a part of the community is excluded.

How strange that every other aspect of the club is marching in one direction, whilst this single issue is in hard reverse. Bizarre.

:good_post: :good_post: :good_post: :good_post: :good_post: :good_post: :good_post: :good_post: :good_post: :good_post:
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum