{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Daft Taft!

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Daft Taft!

Postby Worksopyouth » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Why cant defenders defend? Why can't coaches teach highly paid players the art of guarding our goal? Needed 24 hours to get over massive disappointment re Luton game. Two much needed points tossed away. Or should I say handed over? Not just our team though, it's been going on for a few years now. Pulling shirts at corners/free kicks, taking one for the lads when resorting to pulling down opponent on their way to our box, knowing if player gets suspended there is always replacement available due to squad system. IF we make play-offs not confident as our record against top teams is poor.
Worksopyouth
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Daft Taft!

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Zzzzzzz

Why can't defenders defend? Our back 4 has been solid all season. It's the best back 4 I've watched in a while, the leading names for player of the season make up that defence in Bennett & Pearce.

Shouldn't you be back at school?
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Zzzzzzz

Why can't defenders defend? Our back 4 has been solid all season. It's the best back 4 I've watched in a while, the leading names for player of the season make up that defence in Bennett & Pearce.

Shouldn't you be back at school?
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Glad you raised this. Why make a thread of something that exists in other threads ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Worksopyouth wrote:Why cant defenders defend? Why can't coaches teach highly paid players the art of guarding our goal? Needed 24 hours to get over massive disappointment re Luton game. Two much needed points tossed away. Or should I say handed over? Not just our team though, it's been going on for a few years now. Pulling shirts at corners/free kicks, taking one for the lads when resorting to pulling down opponent on their way to our box, knowing if player gets suspended there is always replacement available due to squad system. IF we make play-offs not confident as our record against top teams is poor.

:mrgreen: a up daftie is back Image
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Footie mad » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:57 pm

I agree Taft gave away the penalty but he also set up the goal by heading the ball out to Potter
Footie mad
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amberheart » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Worksopyouth wrote:Why cant defenders defend? Why can't coaches teach highly paid players the art of guarding our goal? Needed 24 hours to get over massive disappointment re Luton game. Two much needed points tossed away. Or should I say handed over? Not just our team though, it's been going on for a few years now. Pulling shirts at corners/free kicks, taking one for the lads when resorting to pulling down opponent on their way to our box, knowing if player gets suspended there is always replacement available due to squad system. IF we make play-offs not confident as our record against top teams is poor.

I must say your spelling has improved immensely ;)
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Still listening to The Stranglers third album?
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:39 pm

not even one dig against the radfords! the lads changing
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Amberheart wrote:

I must say your spelling has improved immensely ;)

Are you implying that someone else (a carer maybe) is "ghost-writing" his latest post?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:15 pm

The GASP (Grammar and Spelling Police) have noticed the improvement and think he must be year 8
Bros
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vice President » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm not sure why Taft even needed to play? Pearce & Bennett have proved to be an effective pairing in the central defence.
We could have played the solid back four that has served us so well since Evans took over, plus included MacDonald in the starting line up.
I feel that there is still a 'Murrayesque' defensive negativity going on. We have a solid back four, yet feel that we need to play either Collins or Taft as a 5th defender. Why? - I'm not sure that that defensive approach is the way to promotion.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Vice President wrote:I'm not sure why Taft even needed to play? Pearce & Bennett have proved to be an effective pairing in the central defence.
We could have played the solid back four that has served us so well since Evans took over, plus included MacDonald in the starting line up.
I feel that there is still a 'Murrayesque' defensive negativity going on. We have a solid back four, yet feel that we need to play either Collins or Taft as a 5th defender. Why? - I'm not sure that that defensive approach is the way to promotion.

3 central defenders and 2 wing-backs was not a defensive formation at Wycombe and nor was it yesterday, in my opinion. At Wycombe for example it enabled White and Benning to bomb forward, particularly in the first half.

In contrast, playing a defensive midfielder in front of the back four can be seen as adding more cover to the defence. This is not what Evans is currently doing.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Vice President » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:37 pm

I accept your point about wing backs sometimes being a more attacking formation than a flat back four. Although I would question whether White & Benning are as effective in the final third as a dedicated winger/attacker like MacDonald for example.
I guess I've just never been a great fan of 3 central defenders & wing backs, although I appreciate that it can be very effective ....... provided that you have the right type of player playing in the wing back roles.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Vice President wrote:I'm not sure why Taft even needed to play? Pearce & Bennett have proved to be an effective pairing in the central defence.

3 central defenders and 2 wing-backs was not a defensive formation at Wycombe and nor was it yesterday, in my opinion. At Wycombe for example it enabled White and Benning to bomb forward, particularly in the first half.

In contrast, playing a defensive midfielder in front of the back four can be seen as adding more cover to the defence. This is not what Evans is currently doing.

I agree with vp on this Martin, playing Taft in a flat back 3 is more negative than playing a flat back 4 and then having macdnald in your starting line up. I can totally understand why evans went more defensive against Luton though, there a good side and it nearly paid off the formation. Next season we need to be more attacking, I'm sure with better attacking options evans will be doing this. We can't have another first half of the season like we did this, just too negative and sheer boredom to watch
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum