{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

videos: Luton game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

videos: Luton game

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Alfie Potter scores against Luton. Including footage by Bradders and pitchside footage by Jordan Rowsel.

video from behind the goal, Alfie Potter scores against Luton

brief highlights, produced by FLi
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: videos: Luton game

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:08 pm

I've watched the penalty about 15 times and while it clearly hits his hand and it can be argued its not in a "natural" position from a logical point of view I cannot see how Taft would have reactions that fast the ball travels about half a metre in about 0.2 seconds.

Kean is daft and very lucky not to get sent off.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:12 pm

If kean were to get sent off then what has the game come to? Missing blatant forearm smashes on our players but tripping up another player should be nowhere near a sending off just a silly booking
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:17 pm

love the perfectly choreographed dance moves by the luton lot for our goal.
was furious at jake keane for that trip but honestly couldn't help bursting out with laughter watching it back.
what I would have given to have Byrom(?) trip him again at 1.14
PYHBO! Episode 2 out Already! Want one?

twitter.com/SatiricalStag
HitchcocksShins
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Don't get me wrong it would have been a ridiculous sending off but nothing would surprise me with some of the clowns we have had this year so my point being why give him the opportunity?
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:20 pm

kcassellsfootygenius wrote:I've watched the penalty about 15 times and while it clearly hits his hand and it can be argued its not in a "natural" position from a logical point of view I cannot see how Taft would have reactions that fast the ball travels about half a metre in about 0.2 seconds.

When defending a cross or possible cross, you have to withdraw your hands and get them out the way. He didn't... If anything he moved his hand to the ball a little before then pulling it back after the contact. Stone wall peno all day long.

Agree Kean was a bit daft and lucky not to see red for that. I did laugh at the time though.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:42 pm

Jamie wrote:
kcassellsfootygenius wrote:I've watched the penalty about 15 times and while it clearly hits his hand and it can be argued its not in a "natural" position from a logical point of view I cannot see how Taft would have reactions that fast the ball travels about half a metre in about 0.2 seconds.

When defending a cross or possible cross, you have to withdraw your hands and get them out the way. He didn't... If anything he moved his hand to the ball a little before then pulling it back after the contact. Stone wall peno all day long.

Agree Kean was a bit daft and lucky not to see red for that. I did laugh at the time though.

Tripping, which this was, is a yellow card offence. For a red it would have had to have been violent conduct, which it clearly wasn't. Stupid, nevertheless.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:50 pm

as was daft Taft, he will know he cost his team two points Saturday
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:09 pm

How did he cost the team two points?
Can any maestro on Stagsnet, who has rapid reactions when having a ball whacked against them from close range, please put their hand up (in 0.2 seconds) to let us know that they'd have been n able to move out of the way in time?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:43 pm

My view of the incident at the time thought it was a nailed on penalty and wasn't surprised that it was given.

I thought that Taft moved his arm to deflect the ball from getting past him.

Defenders do these sort of things all the time and Taft was just unlucky that the referee saw him and awarded the spot kick.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:00 pm

part time pete wrote:My view of the incident at the time thought it was a nailed on penalty and wasn't surprised that it was given.

I thought that Taft moved his arm to deflect the ball from getting past him.

Defenders do these sort of things all the time and Taft was just unlucky that the referee saw him and awarded the spot kick.

I said in commentary it was a nailed-on penalty. When Steve Evans agrees after watching the video that it is a penalty against his side, you know that it is.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 am

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:53 am

I can absolutely see why he gave it because he does move his hand toward the ball but I think its involuntary and coincidental because I can't possibly see how his reactions could be that fast but maybe that's irrelevant I don't know? It's all by the by now and I don't think that alone cost us 2 points we didn't start the second half sharp enough as a team.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum