{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

We can't lose really

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

We can't lose really

Postby Bring Back Disley » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Thought a draw was about fair today. Playing against one of the division's Big Guns, like it or not, we more than matched them with a team which only reflects 70% on the current manager. The season stays alive for another week and there can be every expectation that we will challenge for automatic promotion next season if we miss out on the play offs this time. Whats not to like? Think where we've come from. Under Adam Murray we'd be lower mid table at best. lets count our blessings and enjoy the seasons end. All will be well.
Bring Back Disley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: We can't lose really

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:17 pm

I agree with you to a point, however, of the starting line-up today: Pearce, Benning, Taft, Bennett, Rose are all Murray signings and are all excellent players whom I don't think Evans could have got better replacements for in January.

Murray gets stick for his signings but many have been very good. 45% of today's team are Murray signings and, in my opinion, they should all still be here next year too.
Field Mill - The World's Oldest Professional Football Stadium (children not welcome)
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Bring Back Disley » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm with you on that Doomy and I've said many times on here that i wonder what the budgets were / are between the 2 managers. That said, there's a huge difference in the quality of football being played and Evans, for all his faults, doesn't have the arrogance Murray displayed throughout his tenure. I really think we are entitled to look forward with optimism.
Bring Back Disley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:41 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:I agree with you to a point, however, of the starting line-up today: Pearce, Benning, Taft, Bennett, Rose are all Murray signings and are all excellent players whom I don't think Evans could have got better replacements for in January.

Murray gets stick for his signings but many have been very good. 45% of today's team are Murray signings and, in my opinion, they should all still be here next year too.

Completely agree, the back four is the best I have seen in this league bar a couple of poor games in a row a month ago. I think those you name are absolute musts to get on new deals and to ensure they are here next season. Frankly, the rest of the side is up for grabs, though I do like MacDonald and Byrom, who I believe are under contract for next season anyway. Potter did well today too, took his goal superbly. However, I think Murray got stick for his tactics and defensive style of play rather than his signings to be honest.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Potter said on Radio this afternoon he signed up for next season
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Rob wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:I agree with you to a point, however, of the starting line-up today: Pearce, Benning, Taft, Bennett, Rose are all Murray signings and are all excellent players whom I don't think Evans could have got better replacements for in January.

Completely agree, the back four is the best I have seen in this league bar a couple of poor games in a row a month ago. I think those you name are absolute musts to get on new deals and to ensure they are here next season. Frankly, the rest of the side is up for grabs, though I do like MacDonald and Byrom, who I believe are under contract for next season anyway. Potter did well today too, took his goal superbly. However, I think Murray got stick for his tactics and defensive style of play rather than his signings to be honest.

Just need someone or two up front instead of Greedy blinkered Coulthirst and Danny flick it on to nobody Rose
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Rob wrote:

Correct, and adam got a justifiable amount of critisism for his uber negative tactics. We basically sacked himself.

I still think to a degree we struggle with the same tactics and/or mentality that we did under adam. Exeter, were the better side, go defensive at 1/0 when there's no need to and look what happened - who in the ground today though that if there was going to be a 2nd goal it would go to us ?

Evans biggest task for me is iradicating the in-necessary uber negative tactics adam set up.

Next season gives us our best shot of promotion to league 1 (on the basis we don't go up) there's lots of be positive about
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:15 pm

Even if we don't go up this year Evans and Raynor have been doing a fantastic job since coming in. If you'd had told us fans that we will be 2 points off the play offs with 3 games to go i would've snatched your hand off and i'm sure most of you would too.

I don't want fans to be too disappointed if it doesn't happen this season, it will come. Evans and Rayns will build us a right team given the time and resources

we will have a really good team next year i feel, we have a full summer to get our signings in and we have a good backbone but just need those higher quality players
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum