{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:54 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:00 pm

detailed report now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Thought the penalty shout was against Bennett when the ball was hit near the left wing by-line in first half.
Can't see us scoring enough goals. - 23rd July
Can't see us scoring enough goals - 12th March
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 pm

KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:33 pm

KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:33 pm

part time pete wrote:Thought the penalty shout was against Bennett when the ball was hit near the left wing by-line in first half.

thanks, you're right. Ruddock cut inside Whiteman and blasted the ball at Bennett. Have amended.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Martin, I am pretty certain the "header" by Hylton in the 66th minute was actually a fantastic defensive header by Bennett which just cleared the bar. I thought it was at the time and then saw Bennett and Hylton discussing it, with both for me clearly agreeing it was Bennett's header and Hylton complaining to the referee that it should have been a corner. Bennett was outstanding and has overtaken Pearce as my player of the season. I do not agree with a 6 for Coulthirst, he was poor, but other than that, I saw things pretty much as you did.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Calstag » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:21 pm

I think all our defenders need signing up again, if not already, especially Bennett and Pearce if not anyone else
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Rob wrote:Martin, I am pretty certain the "header" by Hylton in the 66th minute was actually a fantastic defensive header by Bennett which just cleared the bar. I thought it was at the time and then saw Bennett and Hylton discussing it, with both for me clearly agreeing it was Bennett's header and Hylton complaining to the referee that it should have been a corner. Bennett was outstanding and has overtaken Pearce as my player of the season. I do not agree with a 6 for Coulthirst, he was poor, but other than that, I saw things pretty much as you did.

ok thanks, I'll check the video when I get a chance
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:21 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:Martin, I am pretty certain the "header" by Hylton in the 66th minute was actually a fantastic defensive header by Bennett which just cleared the bar. I thought it was at the time and then saw Bennett and Hylton discussing it, with both for me clearly agreeing it was Bennett's header and Hylton complaining to the referee that it should have been a corner. Bennett was outstanding and has overtaken Pearce as my player of the season. I do not agree with a 6 for Coulthirst, he was poor, but other than that, I saw things pretty much as you did.

I've checked the video - it was Hylton's header, not Bennett.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:55 am

Great photos, Kirkby! Here are some video stills.

Potter scores:

Luton defending just before the goal:

Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Do you have the clip? All around us agreed it was Bennett's header, as did the players reaction afterwards. Are we talking about the same incident, cross from the right wing with Bennett and Hylton going for the ball and a powerful header just over?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Do you have the clip? All around us agreed it was Bennett's header, as did the players reaction afterwards. Are we talking about the same incident, cross from the right wing with Bennett and Hylton going for the ball and a powerful header just over?

yes, it is on the videos thread
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Thanks. It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like Bennett got a touch but then it came off Halton so the goal kick was correct. It was a piece of defending that prevented a goal, even if he didn't get a head to it, which I still think he did even though the final touch clearly came from Hylton.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Rob may be able to answer this one, but I'm a little confused about the rules on holding in the penalty area. As you can see from the stills above, clearly a defender can hold on to an opponent by his shirt, or stop him moving by putting his arms around him. We see it a lot (in this case George Taft could only move by dragging the defender who was hugging him). Outside the box this would be a foul (I think) but inside it seems to be allowable. It appears to restrict the movement of the victim quite a bit and that doesn't seem fair to me, particularly when trying to meet a corner ball. What's the rule?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:I've checked the video - it was Hylton's header, not Bennett.

Thanks. It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like Bennett got a touch but then it came off Halton so the goal kick was correct. It was a piece of defending that prevented a goal, even if he didn't get a head to it, which I still think he did even though the final touch clearly came from Hylton.

in his interview on HattersPlayerHD, Hylton says he should have done better with his two headers (one of which is the above, and the other was from a corner).
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Bradders wrote:Rob may be able to answer this one, but I'm a little confused about the rules on holding in the penalty area. As you can see from the stills above, clearly a defender can hold on to an opponent by his shirt, or stop him moving by putting his arms around him. We see it a lot (in this case George Taft could only move by dragging the defender who was hugging him). Outside the box this would be a foul (I think) but inside it seems to be allowable. It appears to restrict the movement of the victim quite a bit and that doesn't seem fair to me, particularly when trying to meet a corner ball. What's the rule?

It's a foul and should be given - if it was given more often then players would stop doing it. By the letter of the law we should have had at least 3 penalties in the 1st half for holding during a set piece. Equally I suspect that Stags defenders have done the same thing and not been penalised. At the start of the season referee's were given guidance about what constitutes holding, things like defenders not paying attention to the ball etc, etc - sadly very few referee's have penalised these offences and so they continue. To be fair, when a Premier League referee did penalise it early in the season there was uproar and he was roundly criticised on MOTD - hence the reluctance since.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Thanks, Rob. It seems strange that refs should turn a blind eye to fouls inside the area, when the principle of the penalty rule surely acknowledges that it's a more serious foul in that area. It suggests that referees prefer the easy life, perhaps? I know that Stags players do it as well, but Luton seemed more blatant about it.

I could see that the Luton manager is on very good terms with the particular officials at this match (lots of hugging, backslapping and cheery chat from the ref and 4th official) so maybe the ref had told him that he wouldn't punish such behaviour.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:24 am

Bradders wrote:Thanks, Rob. It seems strange that refs should turn a blind eye to fouls inside the area, when the principle of the penalty rule surely acknowledges that it's a more serious foul in that area. It suggests that referees prefer the easy life, perhaps? I know that Stags players do it as well, but Luton seemed more blatant about it.

I could see that the Luton manager is on very good terms with the particular officials at this match (lots of hugging, backslapping and cheery chat from the ref and 4th official) so maybe the ref had told him that he wouldn't punish such behaviour.

And, conversely, the perpetual official-baiting from our management team does nothing to help us to get marginal decisions.
Edders
Life's too short for hate
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum