{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

2 Points

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

2 Points

Postby Paulstag » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:36 pm

That is all we are behind the play off places.

Let's get as many as possible to Stevenage and cheer the lads on.
Paulstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: 2 Points

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:11 pm

:good_post:
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby robbingdog » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:19 pm

some positivity at last. All this crap about the manager not doing this,,, get a grip
robbingdog
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:22 pm

May as well be 12.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:25 pm

How many people would of bitten your hand off back in November for this position.

We keep our season alive for yet another game.
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:34 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:How many people would of bitten your hand off back in November for this position.

Agreed, I would have taken 4 points from the last 2 games, but of course it is frustrating when we could have had all 6.

Lets try and win on Saturday and the see where it leaves us, hopefully still in with a shout, if not, then we can throw the hands up and quit.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:How many people would of bitten your hand off back in November for this position.

Agreed, I would have taken 4 points from the last 2 games, but of course it is frustrating when we could have had all 6.

Lets try and win on Saturday and the see where it leaves us, hopefully still in with a shout, if not, then we can throw the hands up and quit.

Let's go into the Stevenage game with the aim of making the Pompey game something more than an end of season friendly!

If we can do that I'll be happy.
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:39 pm

It's always been "only x points off." The failing in the last couple of months is not turning draws into wins. Notts County away, Accrington, the 0-0's, four games without a goal... Not to mention the Exeter game. A prolific striker would have made the difference and we would be "2 (or more) points clear" instead.

Look ahead to next season!
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Mansfield_Mild » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:44 pm

We were discussing this before the game today. Lets not forget that in November there was real concern that we would be in a relegation battle, not a battle for the play-offs. Imagine if we had been struggling near the foot of the table and facing this run-in. The fact there is still something positive to play for with 3 games to go rather than fearing the dreaded drop is fine with me.
The last thing we need is happy (cheerful people) clappers (showing support)...
Mansfield_Mild
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby West Ham 1969 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:21 am

I've enjoyed an end to a season where I am still going and watching us having something positive to play for....been a good, entertaining end in my opinion.
West Ham 1969
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:03 pm

With the table so close you can really see the impact of a referees decision – the (by common consensus) wrong penalty decision with the last kick of the game v’s Exeter has literally put them in the play offs.

When controversial goals are scored during a game then you can never be truly sure how they affect the outcome of the game, because the game would follow a different path because of the decision. But this penalty was literally the last kick of the game, so it has directly affected the final score, and has resulted in Exeter having 2 extra points than they would and means they are in 6th place, rather than the 8th place they would have been in with a draw.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:51 pm

I think it's a realistic attitude - the odds are we won't make the playoffs - we didn't set out to do this when SE took over, and he himself said that it would be a bonus and we'd focus on next season.

For the folk out there lamenting that we're not in the play-offs surely the fact that we're talking about them in the first place is a bonus - we've done well since he took over.

Put it this way, when SE took over we were 4 points clear of the relegation zone - we're now 20.

If we make the play-offs then fantastic - it was more than our remit for the season and when SE took over
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby TBS » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Marky Mark wrote:With the table so close you can really see the impact of a referees decision – the (by common consensus) wrong penalty decision with the last kick of the game v’s Exeter has literally put them in the play offs.

When controversial goals are scored during a game then you can never be truly sure how they affect the outcome of the game, because the game would follow a different path because of the decision. But this penalty was literally the last kick of the game, so it has directly affected the final score, and has resulted in Exeter having 2 extra points than they would and means they are in 6th place, rather than the 8th place they would have been in with a draw.

Good point - And how a rub of the green or decisions going your way can make a difference. A point against Exeter & also Donny if we'd got the penalty decision (& scored of course) at the Keepmoat so late in that game too... Well, there's two extra points added for our quest for a play off spot.
Don`t be fooled by imitation
This is the stuff that cured a nation...
TBS
First Team
First Team

Postby Im not the real OND » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:20 pm

I'd also point to managerial decisions. Both the Exeter and Donny game we chose to sit back for long periods of the game. And having turned our form around superbly after coming in, the decisions to persist and shoehorn his new players in to the first team and a haphazard approach to picking strikers upset the balance of a winning team. I still don't think the balance of the team is as good as it was when we strung a series of results together in the new year but that run between the middle Feb to the middle of March has cost us dearly. Arguably we should be firmly in the play offs already had he shown a bit of consistency with team selection and eased the new players into a winning team.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum