{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The middle third

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The middle third

Postby Im not the real OND » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Yet again, we have sat back and looked to 'contain' a team and have managed to forsake any attacking instincts until we are absolutely forced to.

Yet another mistake by Evans for me. Instead of pressing on after nicking the lead, we sit back and wait for them to score before we decide we need to come out and attack for the last third of the game. As soon as we scored you could have written the script. We were effectively playing a 5-2-3 for the majority of today and our midfield were outnumbered and chasing shadows. To me that is tactical suicide to give away so much possession in the middle.

There is no doubt that Evans has improved the team by bringing in a better quality of player, but the number of points he has thrown away is scary. I assume Evans is one of the highest paid managers in the league and Radford has bent over backwards to allow him to bring in better quality players. Considering that, should we, and particularly Radford, be expecting more than we are getting from Evans? Surely from one of the highest paid managers in the league we should expect more than a hope that 'we are in the game at 60 mins' as admitted in his pre match interview. Surely we should be expecting more than a self inflicted backs against the wall negativity every time we score a goal? Sure, occasionally it will work such as Wycombe, but it is a high risk strategy as proven today and the Exeter game. The daft thing is, when he is forced into showing some positivity we are causing good teams problems. A few months ago Evans said he wanted this group of players to be on the edge of the play offs with 10 games to go and promised that the management team 'would deliver some magic'. Let them off the leash Steve.
Last edited by Im not the real OND on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: The middle third

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:25 pm

The middle third?

Do we have one?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:27 pm

It was more reference to the middle third of the game where we sat back and lost all momentum.
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:31 pm

You make some good points OND, but it is very early in Evo's reign. Expect big changes in the summer, especially midfield and up front.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:34 pm

On the other hand, you could view it as we were forced back by a good Luton team, before Evans changes altered the game and we nearly won it at the end. We did ok today, biggest problem we have is up front where Shaq is worse than useless. A decent striker in the summer and we will be a very good side.
Hjeldefan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:39 pm

I've seen the same game so many times this season that I'm going to get the missus to give me a nudge, as summat might be stuck.
Field Mill - The World's Oldest Professional Football Stadium (children not welcome)
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby 4dstag » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:On the other hand, you could view it as we were forced back by a good Luton team, before Evans changes altered the game and we nearly won it at the end. We did ok today, biggest problem we have is up front where Shaq is worse than useless. A decent striker in the summer and we will be a very good side.

15 or 20 goals more this season would have us in a good position Evans will know this. Hopefully put it right next season.
4dstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Big yella » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Im not the real OND wrote:Yet again, we have sat back and looked to 'contain' a team and have managed to forsake any attacking instincts until we are absolutely forced to.

Yet another mistake by Evans for me. Instead of pressing on after nicking the lead, we sit back and wait for them to score before we decide we need to come out and attack for the last third of the game. As soon as we scored you could have written the script. We were effectively playing a 5-2-3 for the majority of today and our midfield were outnumbered and chasing shadows. To me that is tactical suicide to give away so much possession in the middle.

There is no doubt that Evans has improved the team by bringing in a better quality of player, but the number of points he has thrown away is scary. I assume Evans is one of the highest paid managers in the league and Radford has bent over backwards to allow him to bring in better quality players. Considering that, should we, and particularly Radford, be expecting more than we are getting from Evans? Surely from one of the highest paid managers in the league we should expect more than a hope that 'we are in the game at 60 mins' as admitted in his pre match interview. Surely we should be expecting more than a self inflicted backs against the wall negativity every time we score a goal? Sure, occasionally it will work such as Wycombe, but it is a high risk strategy as proven today and the Exeter game. The daft thing is, when he is forced into showing some positivity we are causing good teams problems. A few months ago Evans said he wanted this group of players to be on the edge of the play offs with 10 games to go and promised that the management team 'would deliver some magic'. Let them off the leash Steve.

Clown, yes we started 5-2-3 but clearly changed to 4-4-2 when White was changed for McDonald. Which was just as clearly done to counter act changes Luton had made at half time that lead to them dominating that period of the game. So you are criticising our manager for using a system that got us 1-0 up and then changing it when they changed up and got back in the game.
Who needs a Dutchman, when we've got Holland.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:46 pm

If Malvind sticks that one in instead of just over the bar just before their peno...?

Fine lines and all that.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:54 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:I've seen the same game so many times this season that I'm going to get the missus to give me a nudge, as summat might be stuck.

you're turning into a cynical old b'stard.

and not a moment too late.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
First Team
First Team

Postby Im not the real OND » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Big yella wrote:
Im not the real OND wrote:Yet again, we have sat back and looked to 'contain' a team and have managed to forsake any attacking instincts until we are absolutely forced to.

Clown, yes we started 5-2-3 but clearly changed to 4-4-2 when White was changed for McDonald. Which was just as clearly done to counter act changes Luton had made at half time that lead to them dominating that period of the game. So you are criticising our manager for using a system that got us 1-0 up and then changing it when they changed up and got back in the game.

:lol: Which is why I didn't say ' we played 5-2-3 for the whole game'. I would actually argue that we started with a 3-5-2 which saw us get our lead. As soon as we scored you could see a line of 5 across the back with Whiteman and Byron trying to hold midfield on their own. We went 4-4-2 after they scored and Evans was forced to be positive and we looked so much better when we looked to cause them problems. Luton came into the game because of the gaps in midfield. So I'm not having a go at the starting line up. It worked. Nor am I having a go at the final line up when we looked much better. It was the middle third of the game where we sat back that cost us today.
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:04 pm

die hirsche wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:I've seen the same game so many times this season that I'm going to get the missus to give me a nudge, as summat might be stuck.

you're turning into a cynical old b'stard.

and not a moment too late.

Complement accepted.
Field Mill - The World's Oldest Professional Football Stadium (children not welcome)
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:25 pm

We struggle in the middle and last third.

First third OK.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Hasn't anyone else noticed that when we kick towards the QLE everything is fine.
Kick towards the North and you might as well put your brain on standby.

It's true.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:39 pm

9 goals in to that North Stand net in 27 games answers it's own question, hey?
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:08 pm

I suppose we should be grateful that we still had something to play for with a few games left.

It beats the majority of seasons.

I reckon that a few of that freight rover team look like they could still do a job.

Digger doesn't look a day older and im sure big George could just stand there and be immense.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
First Team
First Team

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:16 pm

Thought the players looked uncomfortable with the wing back system.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Calstag » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:19 pm

I was uncomfortable with the strange atmosphere, it's like we were waiting to go behind?? It was very strange considering what was at stake
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:44 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:9 goals in to that North Stand net in 27 games answers it's own question, hey?

a. You might be on to something.
b. You've got too much time on your hands.

:)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:47 pm

I've been home alone all weekend, so b) has definitely had a bearing.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:39 am

I'm a bit puzzled at the moment by team selection as it just seems generally hit and miss and the worrying element for me is he does seem to be shoe horning people in and in my opinion not going with his best 11.

When we have looked at our best at home (admittedly against some of the lesser sides) we have looked destructive at times, Crawley and Hartlepool immediately spring to mind but we are giving the bigger teams too much respect and trying to force a style that doesn't seem to come naturally to some.

Personally for me Whiteman is nowhere near as effective in central midfield as he is on the right at the moment. We seem intent on persisting with the increasingly ineffective Coulthirsta (one decent turn yesterday then back to slowing everything down often to the point of stopping.) He has me pulling my hair out at this point, he does a lot of work off the ball but when he gets it its like we have hit pause.

I would love to be proved wrong but for me we are just not together and flowing enough to make the play offs as we are. We missed Collins in the middle of the park yesterday for sure and has Arquinn stolen Evo's lunch box because I can't see what he has done to warrant not getting a sniff at least.
kcassellsfootygenius
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum