{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Gabbitas Gate -Closed 1PM + F/T for 20 minutes

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The Gabbitas Gate -Closed 1PM + F/T for 20 minutes

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:30 pm

:mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
Last edited by STAGS FOR LIFE on Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 23 times in total.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Re: Gate closure Luton and Portsmouth game

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:44 pm

I wonder if Paul can get a sponsor for this now infamous gate :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:21 pm

Might aswell chain it up for next season
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:23 pm

Hmmm, The Gabbitas Gate, perhaps?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Calstag » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Is this a good or bad omen ? How many times have we won when the gate is closed ?
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:33 am

So is this Gate Gate?
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:19 am

Calstag wrote:Is this a good or bad omen ? How many times have we won when the gate is closed ?

Once? against county
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:45 am

I thought Stags and Pompey fans always got along. Unnecessary for that game. Just because it will be a a big crowd.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby BELSE » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:59 am

Is it not a right of way
BELSE
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby part time pete » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:17 pm

It is a right of way and I would have thought the county council web site would have mentioned this as a temporary closure, like it does with other right of ways.

However I have never seen it on the county council web site that it will be closed.

I just assume the police just close it when they like without telling the county council, unless they think the SAG arm of the county council will tell the Right of Way arm of the county council that they need a temporary closure.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:40 pm

part time pete wrote:It is a right of way and I would have thought the county council web site would have mentioned this as a temporary closure, like it does with other right of ways.

However I have never seen it on the county council web site that it will be closed.

I just assume the police just close it when they like without telling the county council, unless they think the SAG arm of the county council will tell the Right of Way arm of the county council that they need a temporary closure.

So.... Nottinghamshire County Council has a Right of Way arm?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby crazystagdad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:05 pm

also signs and permission must be given for this right of way to be closed
crazystagdad
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:15 pm

crazystagdad wrote:also signs and permission must be given for this right of way to be closed

Cone Army!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:18 pm

I've got a plan lol
Last edited by SINA STAG on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Can't it be locked open at 11.30 am with lots of love locks that would throw a spanner in the works lol
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:21 pm

This is necessary because of the utter morons we have attached to our club and the utter morons attached to other clubs. It doesn't happen in other sports, just, sadly, ours. So if you feel inconvenienced, look no further than the sort of morons who were behaving like infants earlier on in the season when the gates weren't closed. I find some of this slagging the police off over this issue apologetic for the imbeciles, they are the only ones to blame.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Cant argue with that - if I was responsible for public order I would close the gates

On the other hand why weren't these games 1 o clock kick offs. Both bigger risks than some of the other early kick offs

Not saying I think they should be but seems a bit inconsistent
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Rob wrote:This is necessary because of the utter morons we have attached to our club and the utter morons attached to other clubs. It doesn't happen in other sports, just, sadly, ours. So if you feel inconvenienced, look no further than the sort of morons who were behaving like infants earlier on in the season when the gates weren't closed. I find some of this slagging the police off over this issue apologetic for the imbeciles, they are the only ones to blame.

Don't agree Rob. I've seen at first hand what happens when they close the gate. Home fans leave the ground towards the traffic lights on Quarry Lane and walk up towards Burger King, the away fans walk towards Burger King down the North Stand alley and they meet right in the middle. The police often look for a bit of trouble IMO to justify early kick offs/heavy presence
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:22 pm

The police probably want it to kick off so they can arrest a few pissed up folk and get their bonuses/percentage up
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:55 pm

This happens because notts plod are just too busy doing bugger all ,but pursuing equal opps pc and basically anything but actually policing ie their job
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
Rob wrote:This is necessary because of the utter morons we have attached to our club and the utter morons attached to other clubs. It doesn't happen in other sports, just, sadly, ours. So if you feel inconvenienced, look no further than the sort of morons who were behaving like infants earlier on in the season when the gates weren't closed. I find some of this slagging the police off over this issue apologetic for the imbeciles, they are the only ones to blame.

Don't agree Rob. I've seen at first hand what happens when they close the gate. Home fans leave the ground towards the traffic lights on Quarry Lane and walk up towards Burger King, the away fans walk towards Burger King down the North Stand alley and they meet right in the middle. The police often look for a bit of trouble IMO to justify early kick offs/heavy presence

My Mrs used to pick me up from the Retail Park after the game, a few months ago my youngest and I saw exactly why the Police want to close the gates to prevent that sort of idiotic behaviour - needless to say she doesn't pick me up anymore, which is very much to Dairy Crests gain :) Yes you can always walk around and cause trouble, but at least the Police have time to get the away fans on the coaches without having to deal with our brain dead. I do not believe for one minute that the Police look for trouble, I am sure the Police would much rather be catching real criminals than looking after these, erm, "fans".

Get rid of the idiots then we wouldn't need the Police at all.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Always amazes me that they can't handle 3500 at Field Mill but can handle 17/18-000 at the Sh1ty ground yet we get charged through the roof.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:05 am

Richard Cranium wrote:Always amazes me that they can't handle 3500 at Field Mill but can handle 17/18-000 at the Sh1ty ground yet we get charged through the roof.

Ahh, they struggle without the Gabbitas Gate
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am

Whereas I agree, I still think the police are poor and sometimes cause more problems than they solve.

If the police think that there is going to be trouble down to the unfortunate few, then i'd be inclined to agree with their assessment, but as others mentioned, the trouble then moves onto Nottingham Road where you've traffic and there is more of an issue than you've got before.

It's the constant lack of common sense from the police which I find bemusing - surely keeping the opposition fans behind for 5 minutes would be an easier way for all concerned and the problem is therefore solved - I don't get why this has never happened?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Re: The Gabbitas Gate closed -Luton and Portsmouth game

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:48 am

All of the above very valid points could be rectified in an instant with one change and one decision by the SAG.

That is to return the North Stand to it's rightful occupants, the home supporters. I know it would still leave a possibility for trouble to flare up but, as in my day, most home fans would make their way into town then off home. The away fans would be marshaled onto their buses on Quarry Lane and out of town up the A60, etc.

This isn't and never has been rocket science level qualification decision making!
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum