{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Gabbitas Gate -Closed 1PM + F/T for 20 minutes

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Gabbitas Gate v Lincoln ????

Postby ST4GS » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:25 pm

Johnny H wrote:Fridays game proves to me why this gate should be closed every game as a rule ( and only opened when it is thought there would be no issues in doing so)
we have had no major issues / disorder over the last 2 seasons or more when it has been closed.......
Do all other clubs have gates that can control segregation. Is this mandatory? Notts County don't and after the final whistle there was a mixture of amber and black and white all over the place.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Re: The Gabbitas Gate

Postby adsstag » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:59 pm

I guess this brings back the argument to return the north stand back to the away fans. The reason why it was changed in the first place was because fan control would be improved and this was years before the famous gate was built. I’m sure the gate was built after the Liverpool game?

The difference with away fans being in the south stand is that there is a fence that separates Home and away fans. We as a club pay nearly as much as forest on police costs, and we have anaverage of 4K fans (avg 500 fans) compared to forest who have plus 20k fans with 2k always fans. There is no gate to separate fans and the police seem to be able to deal with it? Why do we struggle at field mill? There never seems to be a plan to control crowd other then shut a gate?

As for the Accrington being police free on a bank holiday with 600+ away fans - surely this warranted some extra police outside the ground -?
adsstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Grendon Stag » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:58 pm

Reg Holdsworth wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:Could somebody remind me when was the last game the gate was open and there was any problems?? Me and the wife use the gate every week and never seen any issues whatsoever.

Nothing like a good old over reaction on here by the usual suspects.

Yes, Friday. We got through the gate eventually and grown men were fighting by the away supporters' coaches; my grandchildren were terrified and don't want to go again.

Yes I know I was sat in my car stuck in traffic leaving the retail park, I was on about prior to Friday. My point being that people calling for the gate to be closed every week is an over reaction.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:17 am

adsstag wrote:I guess this brings back the argument to return the north stand back to the away fans. The reason why it was changed in the first place was because fan control would be improved and this was years before the famous gate was built. I’m sure the gate was built after the Liverpool game?

The difference with away fans being in the south stand is that there is a fence that separates Home and away fans. We as a club pay nearly as much as forest on police costs, and we have anaverage of 4K fans (avg 500 fans) compared to forest who have plus 20k fans with 2k always fans. There is no gate to separate fans and the police seem to be able to deal with it? Why do we struggle at field mill? There never seems to be a plan to control crowd other then shut a gate?

As for the Accrington being police free on a bank holiday with 600+ away fans - surely this warranted some extra police outside the ground -?

Where is the south stand ?
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:26 am

I haven't read all this thread, apologies if I'm going over old ground.

It's extremely simple, to have only that single gate open is a huge health & safety risk, trying to filter a 1000 or so people through it leads to the potential of being pushed up against the fence, gate or similar, the fact that the gate is usually able to swing on it's hinges is another potential for harm. Furthermore frustration builds up amongst those needlessly waiting which could lead to some hassle.

The solution is simple enough, keep all the access open or close it off altogether but announce before the end of the game that the gate is closed.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:22 am

Whilst not condoning football violence in any way, I do find it a little amusing when people who taunt random strangers then get all surprised and indignant when someone gives them a smack in the gob.

It's a bit akin to road rage where people think they can just shout abuse at people & but have no thought for possible consequences.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:53 am

Sneag wrote:Whilst not condoning football violence in any way, I do find it a little amusing when people who taunt random strangers then get all surprised and indignant when someone gives them a smack in the gob.

It's a bit akin to road rage where people think they can just shout abuse at people & but have no thought for possible consequences.

This.

The trouble that happened at Accrington a few years back made me chuckle. Everyone had left the game and boarded the coaches outside the away end. Next thing 6/7 idiots from Blackburn turned up shouting off and goading the SSA bus and Westfield Bus. All hell broke loose and they ran off in all directions!
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:07 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Re: The Gabbitas Gate - Closed 12.00 v Port Vale

Postby wink68 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:17 pm

How does closing the gate ease congestion. I know its an old argument and we don't to do it all again but why. I drop my dad off behind the north stand and then park up Nottingham rd cause he struggles to walk too far. I now have to drop him off on Quarry lane therefore adding to congestion.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:24 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:

One extremely simple question - WHY? :roll:
pemill
Manager
Manager

Re: Gate closure Luton and Portsmouth game

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Rob wrote:This is necessary because of the utter morons we have attached to our club and the utter morons attached to other clubs. It doesn't happen in other sports, just, sadly, ours. So if you feel inconvenienced, look no further than the sort of morons who were behaving like infants earlier on in the season when the gates weren't closed. I find some of this slagging the police off over this issue apologetic for the imbeciles, they are the only ones to blame.

Correct
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Gate closure Luton and Portsmouth game

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Mr Grimsdale wrote:
Rob wrote:This is necessary because of the utter morons we have attached to our club and the utter morons attached to other clubs. It doesn't happen in other sports, just, sadly, ours. So if you feel inconvenienced, look no further than the sort of morons who were behaving like infants earlier on in the season when the gates weren't closed. I find some of this slagging the police off over this issue apologetic for the imbeciles, they are the only ones to blame.

Correct

I get the reasons why but I’ve witnessed this go the other way.

All the “lads” that wish to cause trouble will walk down QL and it’ll all kick off near Oasis Gym, I’ve seen it a number of times.

Instead of this gate fiasco simply announce during the game that away fans will be kept behind for 10 minutes after the game to disperse home fans. Would that not be much easier?
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 pm

Surely we all know by now there's a hard way, an easy way and the mansfield town way. :D

Keeping fans behind would be the best option though.

On their fans forum expecting to bring at least 1000 so should make for a decent atmosphere.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Isn't necessary at all. Just hold the away fans back for 5 minutes.

It's happened to us Coventry and Chesterfield this season, so we're well aware that the rubbish Notts police tripe out is exactly that, tripe.

It's simple and would be the best way of handling the crowd, instead Notts police cause more problems again which are moved onto nottingham road.
P
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:36 pm

This is probably a wise move as Port Vale fans have caused trouble at both Grimsby and Crewe recently.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:11 pm

They didn't shut the gate against Accrington and there was loads of trouble. Not exactly got the brightest bunch of fans really have we? You can't clash with away fans and then moan when the gate is shut.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:28 am

Dan wrote:They didn't shut the gate against Accrington and there was loads of trouble. Not exactly got the brightest bunch of fans really have we? You can't clash with away fans and then moan when the gate is shut.

Because Accy had a load of little tossers all over the place dan. even if the gate had have been closed there would have still been trouble as they were kicking off around the train station / frankie and Bennie. These were not our fans... this was them goading everyone walking past. I cannot comment what happened near the coaches as I didn't see it.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:13 am

Chander Lear wrote:
Dan wrote:They didn't shut the gate against Accrington and there was loads of trouble. Not exactly got the brightest bunch of fans really have we? You can't clash with away fans and then moan when the gate is shut.

Because Accy had a load of little tossers all over the place dan. even if the gate had have been closed there would have still been trouble as they were kicking off around the train station / frankie and Bennie. These were not our fans... this was them goading everyone walking past. I cannot comment what happened near the coaches as I didn't see it.

Interesting that they bought 543 fans this time whereas only 58 attended the game last season. Obviously they have inherited the usual ‘nasty element’ that comes with success. League One teams will be shocked by their facilities next season :lol:
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:39 am

Chander Lear wrote:

I'm only going on what I've seen on social media mate. Videos and photos of our 'fans' near their coaches clashing and reports of 'innocent' children & women getting hurt. http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/ne ... Mansfield/

What my point was trying to make is that the police are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They shut the gate and people moan. They leave it open and 10 yards the other side of it is a load of trouble. We're making their decision easy with these knuckleheads who did whatever they did that day. You know as well as I do that I'm the first one to criticise the police with what they've done to me over the years but fair play to them here, what other choice do they have when these things happen?

On the flip side I'm surprised they didn't close the gate for the Accy match as there has been an incident 3 years ago so you would've thought this would've come up on the 'intelligence'. https://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/ne ... wn-9176691
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:45 am

Dan wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:

I'm only going on what I've seen on social media mate. Videos and photos of our 'fans' near their coaches clashing and reports of 'innocent' children & women getting hurt. What my point was trying to make is that the police are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They shut the gate and people moan. They leave it open and 10 yards the other side of it is a load of trouble. We're making their decision easy with these knuckleheads who did whatever they did that day. You know as well as I do that I'm the first one to criticise the police with what they've done to me over the years but fair play to them here, what other choice do they have when these things happen?

On the flip side I'm surprised they didn't close the gate for the Accy match as there has been an incident 3 years ago so you would've thought this would've come up on the 'intelligence'. https://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/ne ... wn-9176691

The trouble 3 years ago was Blackburn fans that turned up and randomly started attacking both coaches from Mansfield that were outside the away end. These same Blackburn idiots turned up the other week as they played the Friday evening.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
Dan wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:

I'm only going on what I've seen on social media mate. Videos and photos of our 'fans' near their coaches clashing and reports of 'innocent' children & women getting hurt. What my point was trying to make is that the police are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They shut the gate and people moan. They leave it open and 10 yards the other side of it is a load of trouble. We're making their decision easy with these knuckleheads who did whatever they did that day. You know as well as I do that I'm the first one to criticise the police with what they've done to me over the years but fair play to them here, what other choice do they have when these things happen?

The trouble 3 years ago was Blackburn fans that turned up and randomly started attacking both coaches from Mansfield that were outside the away end. These same Blackburn idiots turned up the other week as they played the Friday evening.

Least they got a shoeing both times
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Sneag wrote:Whilst not condoning football violence in any way, I do find it a little amusing when people who taunt random strangers then get all surprised and indignant when someone gives them a smack in the gob.

Can only agree, whilst it is a magnet for folks with too much space between their tabs to go racing up to Gabbitas central, there is kind of a dark side of me that would like to see one of the taunters get a fat lip.
Having suffered the raspberry from the so called Luton 'top boys' in their chalet bungalows next to us for 90 minutes the other week, some retribution would have been most welcome.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby pemill » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:45 pm

We must have a significant reputation for trouble with all the measures to control our crowds.
Early kick offs against; Counteh, Spireites, Lincoln and Grimsby it didn't happen in all of the other fixture combinations between these clubs and then this Gabbitas gate fiasco.
For sure there is the usual element of fans who can't take their drink but all clubs have them but as a person who can I feel agrieved that Police and Stewards can't marshall these p!ss heads without affecting my enjoyment and others like me.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:47 pm

pemill wrote:We must have a significant reputation for trouble with all the measures to control our crowds.
Early kick offs against; Counteh, Spireites, Lincoln and Grimsby it didn't happen in all of the other fixture combinations between these clubs and then this Gabbitas gate fiasco.
For sure there is the usual element of fans who can't take their drink but all clubs have them but as a person who can I feel agrieved that Police and Stewards can't marshall these p!ss heads without affecting my enjoyment and others like me.

Nothing to do with drink IMO, if people want to kick off at football they will regardless whether they’ve had 6 pints or not. I think they are all coked up and that’s the issue.

I often have a few pints at the games home and away but my first thought isn’t to run round the back of the North Stand at FT
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
pemill wrote:We must have a significant reputation for trouble with all the measures to control our crowds.

Nothing to do with drink IMO, if people want to kick off at football they will regardless whether they’ve had 6 pints or not. I think they are all coked up and that’s the issue.

I often have a few pints at the games home and away but my first thought isn’t to run round the back of the North Stand at FT

Spot on. It's sad really.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum