{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tactician or tinkerman?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Tactician or tinkerman?

Postby tim » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:18 pm

I thought Evans got it spot on today with leaving out Collins/McGuire role.

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/op ... -1-8446235
tim
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Tactician or tinkerman?

Postby Vice President » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:36 am

I gather the change was due to Collins being injured - but I hope that Evans realises that there isn't a place for Collins in the team if we want promotion. He is not good enough as a defender, or as a midfielder.
But more importantly, ommiting the Collins/Maguire role gave us a more attacking team - it was great to see 3 strikers on the pitch - and not surprisingly it ended the goal drought.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby WeDeserveMore » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:42 am

Collins is a good player... as is Jammer.. they both compliment the team when against certain opposition. However yesterday's team selection was spot on. Very attacking line-up. Liked it.
Champions!!!!!!!
WeDeserveMore
First Team
First Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:47 am

Collins has been in our top three best players of the season.
Field Mill - The World's Oldest Professional Football Stadium (children not welcome)
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:48 am

will come second only to CP as player of the season
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:05 am

yorkshire stag wrote:will come second only to CP as player of the season

Carlton Palmer? Wrong decade I know :roll:

Krystian Pearce for me.

Joking aside at the risk of turning this into another thread about Collins, he divides opinion across the fan base, i respect others views but for me he is not good enough and needs to be cleared out in the summer.
Stags 2002
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ParisStag » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:29 am

Surely a tactician has to be a tinkerman by definition. He changes the lineup and formation according to the tactics employed against a certain team. The opposite would be a manager that sticks with the same lineup because they are in form, regardless of opposition.

I think Evans is a good balance of both. He won't hesitate to drop players if they play badly, but he'll also change things up and try new tactics.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Correct Paris, and Carlisle are in freefall - no goal in 5. how many shots did they have yesterday on target?
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Vice President wrote:I gather the change was due to Collins being injured - but I hope that Evans realises that there isn't a place for Collins in the team if we want promotion. He is not good enough as a defender, or as a midfielder.
But more importantly, ommiting the Collins/Maguire role gave us a more attacking team - it was great to see 3 strikers on the pitch - and not surprisingly it ended the goal drought.

Surely it's " horses for courses ". There are times we need a Collins/Maguire role, and to be fair they both perform it well.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Regarding the 'Tinkerman' question: I would rather we play a consistent line-up, as it is usually the sign of a good team. It is a shame that he disrupted a winning side a few games ago. However, I trust Steve Evans' opinion and have every confidence in him. I think he is still experimenting and trying to find his best formation(s) and players. Once he has his own squad next season, he might not change things so much. That said - he has a reputation for a revolving door ...... so maybe this is his modus operandi. Can't fault his record though!
I haven't had this much confidence in a manager since we appointed Ian Greaves back in the 80's!
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Vice President wrote:I gather the change was due to Collins being injured - but I hope that Evans realises that there isn't a place for Collins in the team if we want promotion. He is not good enough as a defender, or as a midfielder.

Surely it's " horses for courses ". There are times we need a Collins/Maguire role, and to be fair they both perform it well.

I agree Amber - there are definitely times we need the Collins/Maguire role. I just think we have used it too often. (I think we have used it about 90% of the time)
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Vice President wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I agree Amber - there are definitely times we need the Collins/Maguire role. I just think we have used it too often. (I think we have used it about 90% of the time)

I think you've both got a point, to be a tactician Evans needs to change his lineup and tactics to suit. I agree that we've overused the holding midfielder role at times and it can be a unnecessary position if teams are just going to sit in and we need to break them down, if we do play him in these games we really need to get more from the wing backs. I disagree with VP that Collins is not good enough, he's a great squad player when used in the right matches but shouldn't be a guaranteed pick.
Jimstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:07 pm

Vice President wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Yes, we probably have.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Collins has been good this season and has excelled as a defensive midfielder. However, I do agree that there are games where we just don't need anyone sitting in front of the back 4. I'd like to see yesterday's formation next week but against Donkey Rovers etc we may need to revert back to the more defensive system.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:48 pm

I thought the formation yesterday was risky and had an air of 'nothing to lose' about it. We had to try and go for it and Collins being out he went for it and thankfully it paid off. It could easily have gone the other way.

Formation aside the only difference yesterday was we took two chances well. Something we've lacked in recent games.

Far to much is made about formations at this level. If you defend well and take a few chances then you win more often than not, regardless of setup.

Collins has been ok in the defensive role and with him in the side we've still created a lot. We just haven't been taking chances.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:21 pm

It's very rare at this level for managers to chuck the lot in. But when they do and when we have, we've often won. Green, shaquile, Rose and MacDonald all in the pitch at the same time from the first whistle? Yes please.

I want teams to set up because they are scared of us, not the other way round.
There is one formidable adversary that Arsene Wenger has yet to defeat; it's Arsene Wenger's Coat.
arsene wengers coat
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Forever Optimistic » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:08 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:It's very rare at this level for managers to chuck the lot in. But when they do and when we have, we've often won. Green, shaquile, Rose and MacDonald all in the pitch at the same time from the first whistle? Yes please.

I want teams to set up because they are scared of us, not the other way round.

:good_post:
Something tells me we're into something good
Forever Optimistic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum