{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Raynor press conference pre Carlisle

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Raynor press conference pre Carlisle

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:00 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Raynor press conference pre Carlisle

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:09 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Kick em all in the snatch, paul. The useless chokers.

#COYS!
There is one formidable adversary that Arsene Wenger has yet to defeat; it's Arsene Wenger's Coat.
arsene wengers coat
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:10 pm

Where Stevie hopefully searching for a new striker or taking green to get his feet swapped over
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby BELSE » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:50 pm

as Steve evens got called to fa
BELSE
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Clockworktarzan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Rayner says in his interview that Steve Evans was meeting with the players, that's why he met the press instead.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." - Vinnie Jones
Clockworktarzan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:10 pm

I still think we are incredibly lucky to have these two guys in charge. Once they have their own team things should be exciting next season whether in this league or above!!!
cassellswasmagic
First Team
First Team

Postby Chadman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Video summary of press conference . . .

https://www.facebook.com/ChadStags/vide ... 817270733/
Chadman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:55 pm

Curle is a muppet. A poor manager who should have got us promoted with that crop of good footballers. Glad he ain't near our club.
cassellswasmagic
First Team
First Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Has anybody noticed that Curle never mentions his team by name, always referring to them as 'the football club' ?
I picked up on this when he was a guest on the C5 show a couple of months ago.
As a fan I would be very disappointed if our manager spoke like this as it gives a sense of detachment and a lack of passion.
Dave Wayne
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:37 am

Quality will break goal duck - Raynor
mansfieldtown.net, 16th March 2017

Assistant manager Paul Raynor is confident that the Stags have the quality to end their four-game goal drought but suggested they made need some to good fortune in order to do so.

Stags have been unable to convert one of more than 25 good chances in their last four games, despite dominating large periods of each match.

And Raynor, 50, says the Stags will continue to work hard on the training ground to ensure the goals begin to flow once more.

“It’s unprecedented really. They’re not half-chances either; they’re full chances, they’re good chances, they’re at crucial times in the game and we can’t put our finger on it (why the chances aren't being converted)," Raynor said.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/artic ... OmqJhoZ.99

Supporters can login to Stags PlayerHD to watch Paul Raynor’s news conference, in full.

-----------------

Boss Evans tries to lift Stags players’ spirits
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Thursday 16 March 2017

Mansfield Town boss Steve Evans’ first job of the day this morning was to lift his players’ spirits after a second heartbreaking defeat in the space of four days.

Evans missed his usual press conference to hold a meeting with his squad, who have seen some outstanding football and a wealth of chances created go nowhere as they lost 2-0 at home to Plymouth and 2-0 away at Colchester on Tuesday.

The players had yesterday off and assistant manager Paul Raynor said this morning: “The gaffer is in there now having a little chat with them and a little meeting and geeing a few of them up.

“Their heads were down a little bit on Tuesday night - understandably. It’s hard to take with that level of performance and once again coming away with nothing.

Read more at: http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport ... -1-8442507

-----------------

Rivals aiming to halt goal droughts on Saturday

Promotion rivals Mansfield Town and Carlisle United go head to head at One Call Stadium on Saturday both hoping to end lengthy goal droughts and get their bids back on track.

The Stags have not scored in their last four games and the Cumbrians are without a goal in five, but Mansfield’s assistant boss Paul Raynor is reading nothing into Carlisle’s recent form, saying: “That goes out the window on Saturday.

“They are a good side and they’ve got some good attacking players. Teams do go through this little run. We had a period where everything we touched turned to gold. It happens like that.

“We can’t disrespect Carlisle. They’ve got some good players and they had a good result on Tuesday night.”

The Cumbrians were held to a 0-0 home draw by promotion rivals Luton Town, but Raynor said: “We watched the footage of that yesterday and they played some cracking stuff and were probably unfortunate not to come away with a victory.

“So they’ll come here with a bit of confidence.

Read more at: http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport ... -1-8442588

---------------

Stags can be masters of own fate, says Benning
mansfieldtown.net, 16th March 2017

Flying left-back Mal Benning says the Stags’ fate is in their own hands with nine games of the season remaining.

We currently sit five points off the play-off places but still have six of the top seven left to play before the end of the campaign.

And Benning, who is now nearing the end of his second with the club, says confidence is still high in the squad despite four games without a win.

“The last nine games we’ve got sides all in and around us now and we’re ready for it," Benning said.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/artic ... xIwt2oR.99

Stags’ fans can login to Stags PlayerHD to watch Mal Benning’s full news conference.

-----------------------

Benning - we won’t let it slip now after all the hard work

Mansfield Town defender met the press ahead of Saturday’s home clash with Carlisle to underline the players’ determination not to drop out of the play-off chase now after so much hard work.

He also spoke about getting his ambition to score a first goal of the season after some memorable strikes last term

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/ma ... -1-8442927

-------------------

MANAGER: We're able to tell players they'll get an opportunity
carlisleunited.co.uk, Thu 16 Mar 2017, by Andy Hall

Keith Curle with the latest on key injuries and potential signings

United manager Keith Curle gave us an update on the potential arrival of more new faces at his Thursday afternoon press conference.

“We’re now just waiting for international clearance to be confirmed and the player we spoke about the other day will be completed,” he said. “That’s good news for us, and for him. He isn’t a household name but he’s a player who has something a little bit different.

“He’s brave, aggressive and he can make himself known on the ball. He’ll bring more firepower and hopefully he’s one who can come in and have an impact on the squad.”

Read more at http://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/news/ar ... x0KPQYx.99

--------------------
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:30 pm

MANAGER: I think it will be an entertaining game
carlisleunited.co.uk, by Andy Hall

Keith Curle ahead of the weekend trip to Mansfield

Manager Keith Curle spoke to us about what will be another tough game as the squad prepares for the weekend trip to face Mansfield Town.

“The first 20 minutes will be a case of not giving anything away,” he said. “Their manager [Steve Evans] has got Mansfield buoyant and they do try to exploit weaknesses from very early on in the game.

“You have to stand up to that and earn the right to play your football. Sometimes that means going like-for-like. It can be a hostile environment and a hostile touchline, but we won’t shy away from that.

“It’s definitely one that could be won or lost in that first 20 minutes. They’ll come out to whip the crowd up and they’ll want to be on the front foot. We’ll match that and then it will come down to which team can continue on the front foot the longest.”

“Steve is a manager I like and he’s had success and promotions. You have to be respectful of that. It’s very natural for him to be animated on the side of the pitch and I don’t mind that kind of thing at all.

“Some people don’t care for it but it doesn’t affect me at all. Both managers will have one eye on scoring goals so I think it will be an entertaining game.”

“A trip to Mansfield at this stage of the season will give us another example of how far we’ve come from when I first walked into the building,” he commented. “It’s the place where I started my managerial career and I think I’ve learned a heck of a lot as an individual and as a manager since then.

“As an experienced player who had played a lot of games you can start to look from the outside and think managing a team should be easy. It isn’t quite like that, as I’ve found out.”

“I’ve got some fantastic memories from my time there,” he added. “I emptied Mansfield as a town when we got to the play-off final in Cardiff. It was a ghost town that day because everybody was at the Millennium Stadium.

“It was a place where I learned lessons but I’m sure they’ll understand that I’m taking my team there to hopefully come away with a win.”

Read more at http://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/news/ar ... hERQhB5.99
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Foxy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:47 pm

is it too late for song requests for tomorrow?

Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:27 am

What game was it where, as player-manager, Curle ran full pelt and sythed a guy down in front of the West Stand and got a red?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:37 am

ParisStag wrote:What game was it where, as player-manager, Curle ran full pelt and sythed a guy down in front of the West Stand and got a red?

http://www.stagsnet.net/match/reports/v ... matchid=42
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Chris M » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:49 am

ParisStag wrote:What game was it where, as player-manager, Curle ran full pelt and sythed a guy down in front of the West Stand and got a red?

Remember that game very well against Oldham. The guy he propelled off the pitch had it coming. A special moment. Curle always said that if his players were sent off it would be for laying some studs on someone rather than anything silly. He certainly demonstrated his preaching that day.
Last edited by Chris M on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris M
First Team
First Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:25 am

:lol: the curly shuffle
:coys: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:53 am

You do get the feeling that we are going to hammer a team with a plethora of goals. Let's hope it's today because I cannot stand Keith Curle, never have and never will.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:52 am

Chris M wrote:

Remember that game very well against Oldham. The guy he propelled off the pitch had it coming. A special moment. Curle always said that if his players were sent off it would be for laying some studs on someone rather than anything silly. He certainly demonstrated his preaching that day.

Reading Martin's report brought the memories back of just how much of a cheat that Andrews was and just how awful the ref was that day.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:55 am

worth a read:

Mixed memories for Carlisle Utd boss Keith Curle as he returns to former club Mansfield
newsandstar.co.uk

Keith Curle heads back to the club where he started out in management today - after a chance meeting with the man who sacked him.

Carlisle United's boss returns to Mansfield some 15 years after his first experience of the top job in football.

Curle, appointed player-boss in 2002, led the Stags to the fourth-tier play-offs in 2004 before being dismissed later that year in controversial circumstances.

And the 53-year-old said his reunion with his old club comes after he encountered ex-chairman Keith Haslam only this Wednesday.

"Strangely enough I was in a cafe in Sheffield and I bumped into the ex-chairman who sacked me for gross misconduct, bullying and intimidating," Curle said.

"I didn't offer to buy him a cup of tea and I didn't tamper with his food! We exchanged pleasantries."

Some 18 months after his Mansfield exit, Curle won a case for wrongful dismissal.

He did, though, stress that he enjoyed some valuable experiences at the Field Mill club.

"It was where my managerial career started, and as an individual and manager I've learned a hell of a lot not only about myself but also the job," he told the News & Star.

"From the outside, as an experienced player, you think being a manager is very easy and just about Saturday afternoons at 3pm.

"Having had a number of players under me, and also a number of chairman, I have learned a lot, but I'm still enjoying the job.

"I've got some fantastic memories. I know I emptied Mansfield as a town when we went to the Millennium Stadium in the play-off final and got beat on penalties [by Huddersfield]."

The Stags' ground is also significant in Curle's United reign, as his first game in charge of the Blues was at the One Call Stadium, a 3-2 defeat in September 2014.

read more at http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisle-u ... c205cce-ds
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:09 pm

ParisStag wrote:
Chris M wrote:

Reading Martin's report brought the memories back of just how much of a cheat that Andrews was and just how awful the ref was that day.

Taylor who got onto the ref list in the late 80's I think lost his place after a few seasons of poor marks. At the time that would've been it as far as his FL career would've gone as there was no way back once out. Changes later on meant he could worm his way back in and hence he ended up refereeing that game.

Notably there is another of our favourites who lost his League status and then wheedled his way back in.

Darren Drysdale.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum