{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Steve Evans

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Steve Evans

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:52 am

To be fair to Steve looks devastated on the post match interview. Im sure he won't admit it but looks resigned to losing out on play-offs.

As the saying goes its not about losing its how you respond to it when you do. I think its clear to see that we haven't responded well through a lack of goals despite the clear effort being put it.

Steve can be under no illusions what is required in the summer. The question is how many do you think will still be hear come next season on current form?
Stags 2002
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Steve Evans

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:03 am

A handful. To be fair to Steve Evans, it took the great Ian Greaves a bit of time to turn it around. We need to keep supporting him because he will get things right.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:04 am

Stags 2002 wrote:To be fair to Steve looks devastated on the post match interview. Im sure he won't admit it but looks resigned to losing out on play-offs.

As the saying goes its not about losing its how you respond to it when you do. I think its clear to see that we haven't responded well through a lack of goals despite the clear effort being put it.

Steve can be under no illusions what is required in the summer. The question is how many do you think will still be hear come next season on current form?

I don't think he is resigned to losing out on the play-offs at all. "No chance" as he would say. He was gutted after losing another game we should have won. And he has often referenced the good finish to seasons his teams have had in the past. Of course it is going to be much more difficult now after 4 games without a goal.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Jimstag » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:04 am

Having the squad debate before last nights match and we concluded that the answer was not many, the sooner he has his own squad the better.

That said I don't think he's quite given up on the play offs just yet but we've got to start winning soon. The last two games have shown we're almost as good as the top teams in the league, they've just been clinical and we've struggled to score despite some great chances. Sort that and we'd have won the last two.

With his own squad he will have either sorted it or be out of excuses, either way it's still better than what we had before.
Jimstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby geoffhill » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:17 am

I trust in the manager.One thing is certain Hemmings has made his last appearance for us.
geoffhill
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Beano » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:21 am

I think it's perfectly obvious that if the current strikers want to be here next season, they'd better start "striking" pretty sharpish.
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 am

Steve Evans will get us promoted if we manage to hang on to him whether it be this season or next. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. He is completely bonkers though.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:52 am

Until it is mathematically impossible to make 71 pts then we still have a chance of play offs. That's six wins and a draw from 9 games.
Can't see us scoring enough goals. - 23rd July
Can't see us scoring enough goals - 12th March
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:58 am

Beano wrote:I think it's perfectly obvious that if the current strikers want to be here next season, they'd better start "striking" pretty sharpish.

To be honest with the exception of Rose and maybe Shaq the rest will go.
BoughtonStag71
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:23 am

I don't doubt that next season will be a good one.

It's clear the likes of Hemmings, Green, Thomas, Shearer will be gone in the summer and be replaced with players that can score (unlike Green) save the ball and command his box (unlike Shearer) and be fit (unlike Thomas).

It's a poor run, there is no doubt of that - but it should be taken into context - as I keep saying we're decent compared to how we were in November, and a win over Carlisle would chuck us back in the mix.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:32 am

Evans has a focus and a vision on how to win. unfortunately the players are not able to execute this.

Every match like last night that goes by, JR is having to add a few £k to the transfer budget. Its clear that he knows how to get teams to play, but needs the players to do it on the pitch and these lot simply aren't capable.

Let's not get on his back, it just isn't his fault!
There is one formidable adversary that Arsene Wenger has yet to defeat; it's Arsene Wenger's Coat.
arsene wengers coat
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:47 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Evans has a focus and a vision on how to win. unfortunately the players are not able to execute this.

Every match like last night that goes by, JR is having to add a few £k to the transfer budget. Its clear that he knows how to get teams to play, but needs the players to do it on the pitch and these lot simply aren't capable.

Let's not get on his back, it just isn't his fault!

I dont think for one minute anyone is or will get on his back until he's had one good go at getting in his own team during the summer.

Even if we didn't score another goal this season id still be of the opinion he's the right man, he just hasn't got the right team (yet - the summer will be his chance with JR's backing). Can't fault the effort and how he's moved us forwards, just that some of the players aren't good enough to take us to that next level.
Stags 2002
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Agree with a lot said above!
We have to face facts and some current players like good old Adam are decent people and OK but not up to League 1 standard the likes of Carey from Plymouth are!!.

The future I think is very very bright under SE and I think that we all got a bit carried away with the push when we seemed to be heading upwards and cant for the life of me see why we all of a sudden cant get a goal together but guess that's football.
the heavy marker for next season is a decent strike force which even if we only have 2 chances in a game we get a goal or 2.

This can be all u need regardless sometimes of being under pressure most of the game and u win and get the points.

Plymouth and Colchester games seem primes examples.

In SE and JR I trust implicitly and he is putting brave face on it but he knows we have to go again next season and strive to be in top 3 so as not to worry about getting into play offs with all its uncertainty.

At least 3 good derby games possible next season!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:03 pm

The players he got in january have been better than anything we've had for a longtime. But for me he got 8 in but he would of liked a lot more.

We should be excited for the summer because i think we will spend some money and get some very good players in.
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:19 pm

All this talk that it is not Evans fault. Who decided that Hemmings was better than CJ. Who decided to play one up front when we had been scoring freely with 2. Who decided to stay negative when the opposition went down to 10 men. Who has been chopping and changing the forwards in the last few games
Bros
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:07 pm

in Steve Evans & JR i trust

keep the faith

just think on

next season promotion and smashing the scu_m home n away

now doesn't that make you smile?
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Bros wrote:All this talk that it is not Evans fault. Who decided that Hemmings was better than CJ. Who decided to play one up front when we had been scoring freely with 2. Who decided to stay negative when the opposition went down to 10 men. Who has been chopping and changing the forwards in the last few games

simple answer, Evans has brought in 8 players that he thought would improve us, they clearly have improved us but were still not good enough and he is still assessing who should stay in the summer and who might be good enough to push us into the playoffs because everyone at the club wants a top 7 finish. If you're not producing and theres a lad sat in the stands you've not seen much of why not give him a chance?

Looking at the squad id pick out 10 players that will be shown the door. we've got good players but not a good squad and this is starting to show.
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stuhall1973 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:53 am

Steve evans is the best thing to happen to this club since John & Caroline.

:coys:

We can do this.
stuhall1973
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:36 pm

if not this season, i'm confident with JRs backing Evo we will get out next season

COYS
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tim » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Looking at a packed One Call before kick-off and listening to the noise the last two comments have to be spot on.
tim
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:45 pm

Read the Journeyman by Ben Smith and you will learn about the real Steve Evans.
The book illustrates all of Even's media quips, he used them four years ago and still uses them today.
Also discusses his revolving door transfer policy, very enlightening how he treats the players he doesn't want, ignore what he says publicly, it seems the reality is different.

Hope it works for us.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Read the Journeyman by Ben Smith and you will learn about the real Steve Evans.
The book illustrates all of Even's media quips, he used them four years ago and still uses them today.
Also discusses his revolving door transfer policy, very enlightening how he treats the players he doesn't want, ignore what he says publicly, it seems the reality is different.

Hope it works for us.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:27 pm

oldweststander wrote:Read the Journeyman by Ben Smith and you will learn about the real Steve Evans.

Hope it works for us.

I read the Journeyman and the one think constant thing is Ben Smith made a lot of bad decisions long before he met Steve Evans .If his judging of character is anything like his contract negotiations Then i would not put to much faith in them .
Evans offered him a first team contract which he refused because he felt he could get better , all the other options fall short so Smith is left without a club close to the start of the season. He then goes cap in hand to Evans who offered him a squad salary due to him already having a squad . Then Smith complains that he has to work hard to get in the team .Smith played a lot of games in the record breaking promotion team but when money becomes available at Crawley Evans plays Smith At his own game and tells him he can get better players.
The older I get the better I was .
one f in mansfield
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:05 pm

oldweststander wrote:Read the Journeyman by Ben Smith and you will learn about the real Steve Evans.

Hope it works for us.
I am currently a third of the way through, so not got to the Crawley bit yet. When SE was named as our manager I was sceptical to say the least. I based my opinion on what the press had to say about him. Judging by what he has done so far, for the only football club for me, I was wrong to do this. He has been a breath of fresh air. I look forward to his press conferences, his passion for football is amazing and I truly believe he has bought into the Radfords dream of taking this club forward. Thank you SE.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:05 am

Does anyone know why he was in the stands yesterday rather than the dugout. Has he had a touch line ban or has he gone all Steve McLaren on us
Bros
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum