{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Green

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Green

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:25 pm

Einstein also said "if the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts" something which many on here practice with alarming regularity.

As I said, we haven't scored for 4 games, Green didn't play in 2 of them, but sadly he is the current scapegoat. MacDonald for example has missed many chances, no criticism. I'm not in denial about Green, but I think I am fair in my analysis. I honestly don't think Evans has brought in a better striker. When he does bring in 2 or 3 better ones, then you will get no argument from me.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
User avatar
Terry Eccles Was God
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Green

Postby Calstag » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:38 pm

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:Einstein also said "if the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts" something which many on here practice with alarming regularity.

As I said, we haven't scored for 4 games, Green didn't play in 2 of them, but sadly he is the current scapegoat. MacDonald for example has missed many chances, no criticism. I'm not in denial about Green, but I think I am fair in my analysis. I honestly don't think Evans has brought in a better striker. When he does bring in 2 or 3 better ones, then you will get no argument from me.


Albert was also full of raspberries... :lol:
Calstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3470
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:05 am
Location: Kirkby in ash

Re: Green

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:43 pm

Calstag wrote:
Terry Eccles Was God wrote:Einstein also said "if the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts" something which many on here practice with alarming regularity.

As I said, we haven't scored for 4 games, Green didn't play in 2 of them, but sadly he is the current scapegoat. MacDonald for example has missed many chances, no criticism. I'm not in denial about Green, but I think I am fair in my analysis. I honestly don't think Evans has brought in a better striker. When he does bring in 2 or 3 better ones, then you will get no argument from me.


Albert was also full of raspberries... :lol:

True :)
Don't sell Terry Eccles
User avatar
Terry Eccles Was God
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Green

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:46 pm

my theory is that Green is a poor finisher with his head and his feet.

The facts i have used to argue this are presented in video evidence nearly every week when he misses easy chances.

I have been arguing that Green is not good enough since September. If you feel I have changed these facts to fit my theory then feel free to prove it. I am certain you won't.

In respect of McDonald - this thread is about our top earning star striker who some think is in the best handful of strikers in our division, who we apparently turned down very lucrative offers for. I'd like to keep to topic.

Here are some facts:

Rose and Shaq played together for a run of games in which between them they averaged a goal per game.

During this same period the team were averaging nearly 3 goals per game.

In the last 4 games Green has started the team haven't scored once.

In those same 4 games Rose started none and Shaq started one.
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Green

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Ok, you obviously think you are objective in your analysis, some questions.

How many goal scoring positions did Shaq and Rose get themselves into last night?

Did we look more dangerous going forward on Saturday before Green went off after playing up front on his own or after when Shaq and Rose came on (two up top)?

How many goals has our most natural finisher (Rose) scored this season? In how many appearances?

How do you know Green is our top earner?

How do you know that Shaq, MacDonald, Byron, etc didn't come in on more money than Green?

Shaq has taken part in all four of our blank games and failed to score, why is he in front of Green?

Ps your selective use of facts 'SHaq only started one game', but failing to mention he has taken part in all 4 shows selective use of facts to prove your argument. Einstein was right ;)
Don't sell Terry Eccles
User avatar
Terry Eccles Was God
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Green

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:26 pm

1. I don't know. I didn't go to Colchester. From the highlights - I know Green had three shots form within 7/8 yards and missed the target by a mile twice. The other was blocked.

Rose won the header to give Green one of those easy chances.

Shaq had one good chance which was blocked.

2. On saturday i thought we looked marginally more dangerous when Green was on the pitch. Although this is not really a fair comparison as Plymouth were sat in defending a lead by the time Shaq and Rose were introduced. Green missed a good chance in that game too.

3. I previously gave a goal to minute ratio for all our strikers. Rose was the worst out of them all. Green was second worst.

Rose spent a quarter of the season playing on the wing in Murrays very defensive system. Green played up front during thame same time (and was still missing sitters)

4&5. I don't know this for sure but it is well documented that he came on big money.

6. Green has scored 0 in the lat 4 starts. Shaq has scored 2 in his last 4 starts. Neither have scored in their substitute appearances.

Since Evans took over we have failed to score in 9 games. Green started 7 of those 9.

Are you able to offer an objective argument as to why Green should continue to start games?
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Green

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:38 pm

I don't think I can give a fully objective argument, but look back at Martins ratings comments over the last 4 games, you will see reference to the easy chances and sitters that other players have missed, Green doesn't play in 2 of them, but is still the main focus for criticism, unfair in my view.

I think Green is better than the others, you don't. I think we need to stick with him as a less than sharp Green looks more dangerous, is better off the ball, creates more opportunities and pulls defenders out of position more than the others do and if he is given a run I think the goals will come. IMHO.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
User avatar
Terry Eccles Was God
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Green

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:50 pm

Fair point.

I like to be objective but lets be honest - the game would be pretty boring if there wasn't room for subjective opinion.

I disagree about the movement - interestingly its the movement and bringing others into play that i i think seperates Rose from the rest - but can't back it up!

Regardless of who starts I just hope one of them manages to start hitting the net!
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Green

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:06 pm

I think we can agree on the hitting the net point at least and agree about it being boring if we all told each other how much we admire each other's arguments.

Something I think we can agree on is also that midfield need to also weigh in with some goals.. in particular, Whiteman and MacDonald have missed a hatful between them in the last 4, yes we want the front men to score, but we could have won a couple of those games if they could finish. If I was Steve and Paul I would have them practising finishing over the next few days and show them videos of them scoring, they all need to get their belief back.

Someone mentioned a sports psychologist in another thread, perhaps that or a great motivational speaker might help.?
Don't sell Terry Eccles
User avatar
Terry Eccles Was God
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Green

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:21 pm

The return from midfield has been very poor. When Evans came in it looked like this would change.

I can cut Whiteman some slack as he is very young and his overall performances have been excellent.

Very disappointed with the return we have had from the other attacking players. Hamilton, McDonald, Baxendale, Hemmings and Potter should be getting more goals between them.

I think McDonald is the best of this bunch though.

Evans has a bit of a problem. I rate Byrom and Collins, but both in the same team reduces our attacking options too much.

Hamilton is a problem too. He looks awesome at times but he offers no goal threat at all and his final ball is still poor.

I'd play McDonald and Potter out wide with 2 of Collins Byrom and Whiteman in the middle. Let the two widemen support the strikers
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Green

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:27 pm

The most simple thing in the world is to kick a ball. To be in the right place at the right time is more difficult. To kick the ball in the right place at the right time gets harder. To put it in the net past a goalkeeper is harder still. When you score it's easy. But that's the hardest thing to do.
CassellsCap
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:10 pm

Re: Green

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:29 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:The return from midfield has been very poor. When Evans came in it looked like this would change.

I can cut Whiteman some slack as he is very young and his overall performances have been excellent.

Very disappointed with the return we have had from the other attacking players. Hamilton, McDonald, Baxendale, Hemmings and Potter should be getting more goals between them.

I think McDonald is the best of this bunch though.

Evans has a bit of a problem. I rate Byrom and Collins, but both in the same team reduces our attacking options too much.

Hamilton is a problem too. He looks awesome at times but he offers no goal threat at all and his final ball is still poor.

I'd play McDonald and Potter out wide with 2 of Collins Byrom and Whiteman in the middle. Let the two widemen support the strikers


this is what murray did and never changed it. lets hope evans does but byrom makes up for his lack of goals with his assists and set pieces
bobbystagsfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1484
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Green

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:32 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:The return from midfield has been very poor. When Evans came in it looked like this would change.

I can cut Whiteman some slack as he is very young and his overall performances have been excellent.

Very disappointed with the return we have had from the other attacking players. Hamilton, McDonald, Baxendale, Hemmings and Potter should be getting more goals between them.

I think McDonald is the best of this bunch though.

Evans has a bit of a problem. I rate Byrom and Collins, but both in the same team reduces our attacking options too much.

Hamilton is a problem too. He looks awesome at times but he offers no goal threat at all and his final ball is still poor.

I'd play McDonald and Potter out wide with 2 of Collins Byrom and Whiteman in the middle. Let the two widemen support the strikers

I think Hamilton is improving, but agree about the final product being so variable. I would be happy with the proposed midfield for the next game, with 2 up top.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
User avatar
Terry Eccles Was God
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Green

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:33 pm

CassellsCap wrote:The most simple thing in the world is to kick a ball. To be in the right place at the right time is more difficult. To kick the ball in the right place at the right time gets harder. To put it in the net past a goalkeeper is harder still. When you score it's easy. But that's the hardest thing to do.

Great I'd email that to Steve Evans CC
Don't sell Terry Eccles
User avatar
Terry Eccles Was God
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Green

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:41 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:That 'disallowed' goal would not have been scored if the foul wasn't given. The keeper practically stopped playing and Green still nearly hit it straight at him.

Green has been missing sitters all season long - not just recently.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. (Einstein)

I think you make a good point. Green was way below his best before SE became manager
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Green

Postby victor A block » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Personally I'd start with Green and Rose.....although I could also see him starting Shaq and Rose, but please ..no Hoban....if green is getting stick on here for missing chances, at least he gets in the position to miss them....Hoban offers nothing in any area of the pitch.
victor A block
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:25 pm

Re: Green

Postby Wh_Stag » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Wh_Stag wrote:He's getting in the best places for chances, something the other strikers are not.. He needs a run of games to get the rustiness out of him and to have his confidence grow. I think with his record dropping him now wouldn't do anyone any good.

If he starts saturday he'll score.


8-) I was right 8-) :lol:

pleased for him, he scores when he's confident and this should do him the world of good. COYS!
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:13 pm
Location: bishops cleeve

Re: Green

Postby london amber stag » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:30 pm

green will kick on now and grab a few more. Well done Matt! Three points off and all the teams above to play. :coys:
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
User avatar
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: Bromley Kent

Re: Green

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:32 pm

HE NEED THAT.

We needed him and he delivered.
There is one formidable adversary that Arsene Wenger has yet to defeat; it's Arsene Wenger's Coat.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Green

Postby london amber stag » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Agreed!
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
User avatar
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: Bromley Kent

Re: Green

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:56 pm

Fair play to him. Stuck at it and got his goal.

Not great apart from the header, whilst Shaq and Rose were both very good today.

Lets see how Evans lines them up at Morcambe.
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Green

Postby SINA STAG » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Why was he playing in midfield n not having a go at Green for this can't someone play a ball to feet through the middle we've got some quality in the last third but we have an obsession all game to put the ball wide... good win today we all needed that bring on the shrimpers we will fight on the beach we will never surrender
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2428
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Green

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:03 pm

3 up top today worked really well and rose was immense. Green looked far better not being on his own up top. Shaq really suits that inside rightfrontman looked good today.
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:25 pm

Re: Green

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:29 pm

I didn't see it as three up top. Greeny seemed to be playing in midfield and looked to be struggling a bit in his new role. However, he scored the breakthrough goal. So full marks to him.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Green

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I didn't see it as three up top. Greeny seemed to be playing in midfield and looked to be struggling a bit in his new role. However, he scored the breakthrough goal. So full marks to him.


Cj plays much more on the wing and as a typical winger. Greenie definitely was not playing the same role as cj, more inside left. 3 up top for me, with one holding centre mid and whiteman and macDonald breaking left and right from centre worked well today
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4dstag, Admiral Sook, arsene wengers coat, Bing [Bot], mans_field, OneManWentToMow, stagshead, Stoney, Woodclanger 1 and 34 guests