{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Happy Birthday sunday Billy Dearden

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Happy Birthday saturday Billy Dearden

Postby Vice President » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:50 pm

In my opinion Deardon had assembled a good side playing nice football. He had a good half a season and had he stayed, we may have got promoted. If I recall, the loans that Watkiss eventually brought in [Murray & Kelly] were a significant factor in helping us to limp over the line. In his second stint, he had decent players at his disposal but he failed to motivate them, or get the team playing well, and we ended up being relegated to the conference, albeit finally under Holland. Had Dearden stayed, who knows?

Whilst we are on the subject of 'who relegated us' ..... the list is long and Haslem's name is at the top of the list.

Great managers earn their kudos through consistency (e.g. Dave Smith, Ian Greaves, Steve Evans). Deardon's record isn't in the same class as those guys.

That said, Happy Birthday Billy. ;)
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Two men in white coats for Jamie, he needs urgent therapy.

The guy is bordering on crazy, Billy a Judas, absolute numskull Jamie, grow up.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:46 pm

Jamie wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Dan wrote:He didn't leave for a pay rise he left because he was told his contract wouldn't be renewed in the summer, so when Notts approached him he went like any of us would do.

Who gave you permission to provide a perfectly reasoned answer, Dan? :P

Fans seem to forget (well, one in particular does! ;)), that Billy was not born amber & blue and this was just like any job. I don't see any of us saying 'screw my career and wages for later life / pension, i'm staying put so i can be laid off'
Unfortunately Jamie has read it as any old Joe off the street should feel the same passion and commitment as him.

How many years anniversary are your celebrating at your work place Jamie? Must be a few years since you joined your company, straight out of education! ;)

Ive no problem with people leaving for a better chance or more money. As dan said, he left because apparently Haslam wasn't going to renew his deal. Although anyone who seriously thinks haslam would of let him go, post promotion, is having a laugh. County were in the L1 relegation zone and under embargo. It wasn't a better opportunity it was him wanting his cake early and Haslam being a pillock about it. Hes a judas in my eyes and always will be.

Btw, i changed jobs lots before i started by own business. Always for more money / better prospects. But im not a football manager. He went to a rival team to spite Haslam (and therefore all of us). He then came back happy to take our / Haslams money the second time when no one else wanted him.

Anyway, good times are here. Let's move on.

Yet another crock of raspberry. He went because he lives in Ch*sterfield and it meant less travelling than the other offers he got. Believe me, he didn't want to leave. As I've said on here many times, when I went to his uunveiling at Meadow Lane he came straight over to me after it and said "you know why I've left don't you" and told me numerous things which I've tried pointing out to you over the years but you just won't have it.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:57 pm

Jamie wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Dan wrote:He didn't leave for a pay rise he left because he was told his contract wouldn't be renewed in the summer, so when Notts approached him he went like any of us would do.

Who gave you permission to provide a perfectly reasoned answer, Dan? :P

Fans seem to forget (well, one in particular does! ;)), that Billy was not born amber & blue and this was just like any job. I don't see any of us saying 'screw my career and wages for later life / pension, i'm staying put so i can be laid off'
Unfortunately Jamie has read it as any old Joe off the street should feel the same passion and commitment as him.

How many years anniversary are your celebrating at your work place Jamie? Must be a few years since you joined your company, straight out of education! ;)

Ive no problem with people leaving for a better chance or more money. As dan said, he left because apparently Haslam wasn't going to renew his deal. Although anyone who seriously thinks haslam would of let him go, post promotion, is having a laugh. County were in the L1 relegation zone and under embargo. It wasn't a better opportunity it was him wanting his cake early and Haslam being a pillock about it. Hes a judas in my eyes and always will be.

Btw, i changed jobs lots before i started by own business. Always for more money / better prospects. But im not a football manager. He went to a rival team to spite Haslam (and therefore all of us). He then came back happy to take our / Haslams money the second time when no one else wanted him.

Anyway, good times are here. Let's move on.
I think you may be wrong Jamie. The embargo was shortly after Bill joined Notts. But even with the embargo it's my guess his task was much easier at Notts than working under Mr Haslam's stewardship. Like our current manager, Bill is very much respected for his knowledge of the lower levels of the football league. He is currently part of the successful Parkinson / Parkin management team at Bolton. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that Bill is in the top group of managers this club has had.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:50 pm

:lol: that year went quick :lol: Happy Birthday Billy :drummer: :guitar: :head ball: :drummer:

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Re: Happy Birthday sunday Billy Dearden

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:12 pm

Most people remember that Jamie would sooner praise his man Haslam than he would Billy Dearden.

Back in the day you chose your stance on things, during a critical period for the football club, and everyone else knew exactly where everyone else stood.

Billy created a thoroughly wonderful football team. Cretinous Haslam never offered Billy a deserving and reassuring New contract, so he left for somewhere else that would pay his bills.

Anyone denying his achievements must be a flipping grade A raspberry.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:32 pm

Jamie wrote:"The Judas, pictured here before the 07/08 season where he set the wheels in motion for relegating the club from the Football League".

Sorry but I'll never forgive him for leaving. He had 5 good months here in 2001 before jumping ship to our rivals. He was bang average before that spell and nothing short of clueless in his second stint.

Jeez you are a strange chap Jamie...the only person that should never be forgiven is your mate Keith, but on that score, rest assured he won't be.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chimney » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:43 pm

Very nice chap indeed, best wishes to Billy. He served the club well
Summers here, bra-less petite blondes in short skirts and skimpy pink tops
Chimney
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:54 pm

I know a friend of Bill's. He told me Bill really enjoyed his time at Mansfield and still has affinity for The Stags. He said working under Mr Haslam during his last spell was almost impossible.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:59 pm

In these days when the word "respect" is over used, Billy D will always have mine.

Have a good day Billy.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:56 pm

Billy is one of the legends of Mansfield Town, if you can’t agree with that then I’m really not sure what you’re doing supporting it.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Jamie proving to everyone again who his aleigence lies with again.

Bill Dearden deserves all the respect we can muster.

1999/2000 he somehow built a team to keep us up giving all the crap he had to deal with Hallam with only a hand full of players on the books and the club failing to pay wages in that recent history.
2000/2001 Started the building blocks to a team that would go on and win promotion and play the best football I have ever seen MTFC play in 25 years.
2001/2002 has the club in the automatics, FA Cup Round three and IMO has he stayed would of probably won promotion a lot easier than what Watkiss did. Has lame should of been offering him a deal of the century for him to stay not letting him go without even putting his hand into the Algarve fund.

His return people forgot that his first season he kept the club stable after having Richie barker sold from under his nose.

In the end we got relegated which had we not I don’t believe haslam would of left when he did and instead of having a non league club we may of ended up with no club.

Ultimately we’ve survive non league football and came out of it a hundred times better and more stable than before we were relegated.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:32 pm

Happy birthday Billy D. Gave me some of my favourite memories in 44 years of supporting the Stags.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59 pm

Happy birthday Billy
Should always be welcome at the stsgs. I've watched them through Cummings, smith, greaves, morris et Al. He worked with the least and gave us close to the best. ( pesonally I think Smith just shades it). He worked in the most difficult times. Haslam was a nightmare of a boss but dearden still set up the promotion. I believe he had no alternative but to leave when he did and that's why he came back. We should all be grateful for his times here.
Imo be great to see hom cime back as an honoured guest
robeyre
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby garlic » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:31 pm

happy birthday Billy, you really did create a magnificent team, and gave us far more wonderful memories than regrets. there`s not many football managers that can be said about.
garlic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby thunderstag » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:38 am

Happy birthday Billy
thunderstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jamie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:17 am

Have some of you really not got anything better to do than get angry at comments made a year ago.

Happy Birthday Billy.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:57 am

Jamie wrote:Have some of you really not got anything better to do than get angry at comments made a year ago.

Happy Birthday Billy.

Shut up you raspberry.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 am

Sneag wrote:
Jamie wrote:Have some of you really not got anything better to do than get angry at comments made a year ago.

Happy Birthday Billy.

Shut up you raspberry.

Yeah good on. Bet that took some thinking up.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:19 am

Happy Birthday Billy.

It reminds us what an odious character you are
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Happy Birthday Billy.

....as opposed to branding someone a Judas and still holding a grudge about something that happened 15 years ago! :P

You'll have to clarify this for me Jamie i'm afraid - BD is a 'Judas' because he left the club in the lurch. By your own logic, doesn't your love-in with KH technically make you a Judas to both the club and fans? ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:57 pm

Jamie, you’re a poisonous belter.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:16 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:what a bunch of young uns to have to bring through, will we ever be that blessed again?

If they're not given a chance we'll never know.
Quite a few of the lads who are out on loan (ex YT) feel that they'll never get a chance.

Bill had a lucky break in that those lads came good as he had little else to work with under Haslam.
If Bill'd had Evo's resources would they have had a chance?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:06 pm

Happy Birthday Billy and many more of em !
yellowstagsfan
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sneag » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:56 pm

Jamie wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Happy Birthday Billy.

Shut up you raspberry.

Yeah good on. Bet that took some thinking up.

Not at all, every time I see a post of yours the first thing that pops into my head is `my God, what a bearded clam this boy is'. :lol:
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum