{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Jack Thomas to Barrow

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Jack Thomas to Barrow

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:05 pm

Alwaysa5tag wrote:
tibby wrote:Said before that he will not cut it at this level long term

Don't think he could ever get the level of Whiteman, and they are the same age. If we are looking upwards, we should be looking for better players than Jack. You cant have potential forever.

Hope he carves himself a good career, but may end up semi-pro.

Obvs u don't rate and that's ur opinion but unsure why we keep comparing him to Ben Whiteman??? We have absolute no chance of signing this kid and he is being primed and groomed for what looks like championship football next season with Sheff Utd... Yes he is far better than JT as it stands.....players do develop at different rates so who knows long term and i think even SE has eluded that JT was hugely let down by the previous regime....SE in the long term could be the best thing for Jack and its pretty obvious from the managers comments that he is highly thought of but only time will tell i suppose

The previous regime let a lot of people down.
There is one formidable adversary that Arsene Wenger has yet to defeat; it's Arsene Wenger's Coat.
arsene wengers coat
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tibby » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:11 pm

I honestly hope he does prove me wrong, and I will be the first to eat humble pie

Just cant see him progressing to the level of player Evans could go and get in
tibby
First Team
First Team

Postby adamstag » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:14 pm

tibby wrote:I honestly hope he does prove me wrong, and I will be the first to eat humble pie

Me either :(

However, I hope he does. I'm also pleased that we've now a level of midfielder at the club where the bench has been significantly increased.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:33 pm

adamstag wrote:
tibby wrote:I honestly hope he does prove me wrong, and I will be the first to eat humble pie

However, I hope he does. I'm also pleased that we've now a level of midfielder at the club where the bench has been significantly increased.

As it stands I don't think he is good enough for our bench. Which is a sad state of affairs for him personally but great for the club. We're strong atm. No passengers. Be interesting to see how he does under paul cox. Good old Coxy might do us a favour yet still.
There is one formidable adversary that Arsene Wenger has yet to defeat; it's Arsene Wenger's Coat.
arsene wengers coat
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Alwaysa5tag » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:07 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
adamstag wrote:

As it stands I don't think he is good enough for our bench. Which is a sad state of affairs for him personally but great for the club. We're strong atm. No passengers. Be interesting to see how he does under paul cox. Good old Coxy might do us a favour yet still.

Not entirely sure about that....I still would rather have JT on the bench instead of Jamie McGuire....although admittedly he will prob lose his place on the bench once Howkins and Taft are fit....
Alwaysa5tag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Alwaysa5tag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
adamstag wrote:

Not entirely sure about that....I still would rather have JT on the bench instead of Jamie McGuire....although admittedly he will prob lose his place on the bench once Howkins and Taft are fit....

Surely, the solution is obvious. Get a bigger bench.
Edders
A Stags Fan for 50 years
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:45 am

As always Edders, you see the obvious answer.

Pass the hat for a new longer bench.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:08 pm

who was the ginger lad shrewsbury had? He got player of the year and a move to the championship and when we played them jack was head and shoulders above him, he ran rings round him and looked a far better player...

He's got it in him and i think since we first saw him he's bulked up and got stronger and he will come back from his loan a good player.

People seem to expect him to be good enough to sell straight to the championship, id realistically expect him to be a player for league two who can help us while were in this league and if we go up his performances will merit if he's good enough to come with us, but for now good luck to him at barrow and we should all hope he comes back firing and ready to go for next season.
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Wh_Stag wrote:who was the ginger lad shrewsbury had? He got player of the year and a move to the championship and when we played them jack was head and shoulders above him, he ran rings round him and looked a far better player...

He's got it in him and i think since we first saw him he's bulked up and got stronger and he will come back from his loan a good player.

People seem to expect him to be good enough to sell straight to the championship, id realistically expect him to be a player for league two who can help us while were in this league and if we go up his performances will merit if he's good enough to come with us, but for now good luck to him at barrow and we should all hope he comes back firing and ready to go for next season.

Good post !
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Ryan Woods, wh

But Jack was fantastic that day, and indeed that spells of games. Unfortunately he hasn't found that form since. I still believe he can get back to that.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby berryhill stag » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:47 pm

JT this season does not seem to be on the button. When he comes on there is effort but he seems to struggle to catch up with the speed of the game. JT goes silent when on the pitch and looks lacking in confidence. He doesn't become a bad player overnight,arm around the shoulder job one thinks.A move away will help everyone. Paul Cox may be the answer
berryhill stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby mansfield_smooth » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:17 pm

It's harsh comparing JT to whiteman, Ben started off at man united if I'm correct? He had probably the best football upbringing you could wish for as a young footballer!

I hope JT can get back to the form we know he can achieve
Together
Everybody
Achieves
More

TEAM - we can all play our parts for all things good for MTFC
mansfield_smooth
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Nah. Don't buy into that

Liam, Dis, Leroy etc have all gone on to do a damn site more than most Man Utd youngsters ever will
tibby
First Team
First Team

Postby Ben Superstag » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:02 pm

tibby wrote:Nah. Don't buy into that

Liam, Dis, Leroy etc have all gone on to do a damn site more than most Man Utd youngsters ever will

Tibby, those examples you just gave buck the trend when it comes to developing youngsters out of Mansfield. To compare Jack's upbringing to Ben's when it isn't even on the same planet is harsh.

If I recall, Steve Hymas hadn't long been reassosciated with the club when Jack rose to prominence. The reason that is important is because SH has developed the academy here into something that is leaps and bounds ahead of the former set up, Jack will have had tougher circumstances to deal with and is probably the first player that we have had go on to have a senior career since Tom Naylor.
Ben Superstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tibby » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:13 pm

What about Lee Gregory, Nathan Arnold, Baptiste, Buxton?

Or am I missing the point?

If your good enough, you are good enough and will shine through whatever the surroundings. Omar Bogle started at Hinckley, I cant imagine them having a better set-up than ours, even at our worst.

If he wasn't from Sutton, people would be happy he's gone and wouldn't want him back.
tibby
First Team
First Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:35 pm

tibby wrote:Nah. Don't buy into that

Surely you're not picking perhaps the best 3 of a 'once in a lifetime era' and suggesting everyone else should be the same standard?
SE needs to keep looking over his shoulder! :P

Tbh, plenty of our 'bang average' youth teamers stepped up and made a decent living at a higher level after they left, so i would rule JT out yet. Confidence and a progressive training regime would do wonders for him, imo
Last edited by MutinyOnTheCounty on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Ben Superstag » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:41 pm

tibby wrote:What about Lee Gregory, Nathan Arnold, Baptiste, Buxton?

Or am I missing the point?

If your good enough, you are good enough and will shine through whatever the surroundings. Omar Bogle started at Hinckley, I cant imagine them having a better set-up than ours, even at our worst.

If he wasn't from Sutton, people would be happy he's gone and wouldn't want him back.

I think you are missing the point entirely and Lee Gregory didn't come through our youth team. You have named probably the only players that have come through Stags and made a decent career for themselves in the last 20 years.

The point was, you can't compare Ben Whiteman's upbringing to Jack Thomas. Manchester United have produced hundreds of football players that play throughout the English pyramid and the rest of the world.

I wasn't comparing the ability, as Ben is clearly superior, but he's had a better football education....and round and round in circles we go.
Ben Superstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tibby » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Simple question then

As it stands, would you like Jack Thomas back in the squad next season?

Taking into consideration what standard of player Steve Evans could bring in as a replacement
tibby
First Team
First Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:57 pm

tibby wrote:Simple question then

Taking into consideration what standard of player Steve Evans could bring in as a replacement

B77 v2.2.1 mkII
Edders
A Stags Fan for 50 years
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Ben Superstag » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:00 pm

tibby wrote:Simple question then

The simple answer is, yes, if he is good enough. If he doesn't meet the standard, then no.
Ben Superstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Alwaysa5tag » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:09 pm

On another point....i think we should applaud JT for willing to commute to barrow to get 1st team football...I'm led to believe that they train in Manchester...so that's a 3hr round trip everyday and then a hell of a trek to barrow for home games and even further for some away games....fair play....he could have taken the easy option like the "other 2" that SE mentioned that turned down opportunities to move....assume they were Hemmings and Hoban...

FYI tibby i know for a fact that SE rates JT so i personally value his opinion a little more than yours and I'm pretty sure he knows a smidgen more about football than yourself
Alwaysa5tag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:20 pm

I reckon Coxy'll transport the lad himself.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:24 pm

They now train in Manchester. Something Cox has introduced.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Like he rated Mitch Rose, Clements when he came in?

He isn't going to say any different is he?

Your right though. I too trust Steve Evans opinion, hence why JT is nowhere near the first team
tibby
First Team
First Team

Postby Alwaysa5tag » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:59 pm

tibby wrote:Like he rated Mitch Rose, Clements when he came in?

He isn't going to say any different is he?

Your right though. I too trust Steve Evans opinion, hence why JT is nowhere near the first team

I'm pretty sure that SE would say different if he thought different...he hardly comes across as someone who says things for the sake of it.....he shows great respect towards players but ultimately always honest...
Alwaysa5tag
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum