{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Family section

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Family section

Postby daddycool » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:57 am

Wilfred wrote:It's over 60 years since my dad first took me in the Bishop Street stand to see The Stags. And watching that video brought tears to my eyes.

Unfortunately I can no longer get to many matches. But I now want to give something back in return for what the Radfords et al are doing to restore pride and faith in the only football club I have ever loved.

As someone who can't attend very often I would like to make it possible for someone who can. Preferably a parent and child who would not normally be able to attend due to financial constraints. They would then be my voice cheering The Stags on to victory in my absence.

If someone associated with the club , Martin, Paul or a n other, would like to pm me we can discuss my offer.

Nowadays I often forget what happened yesterday. But my first trip to Field Mill in the 1950's was a thrill that will live with me to my dying day. And I want that thrill to be experienced by a local youngster sitting alongside their dad, mum, grandad or whoever.

:mansfield_till_i_die: :coys:
daddycool
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Bros » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:36 am

Now that we have a singing section and a family section how about an old codgers section where we old timers can sit in our flat caps and scarves with arms folded moaning about the state of the Bovril, the number of tattoos the players have got,the drums too loud,we can't smoke our Capstan when we want and the team has never been any good since Waggy,Stringie and Morris left
Bros
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:57 am

Bros wrote:Now that we have a singing section and a family section how about an old codgers section where we old timers can sit in our flat caps and scarves with arms folded moaning about the state of the Bovril, the number of tattoos the players have got,the drums too loud,we can't smoke our Capstan when we want and the team has never been any good since Waggy,Stringie and Morris left
I think I would fit in very well. Could I bring my amber and blue painted rattle please?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:22 am

Bros wrote:Now that we have a singing section and a family section how about an old codgers section where we old timers can sit in our flat caps and scarves with arms folded moaning about the state of the Bovril, the number of tattoos the players have got,the drums too loud,we can't smoke our Capstan when we want and the team has never been any good since Waggy,Stringie and Morris left

Great idea Bros.
Last edited by Wilfred on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being a Stags fan never has a happy ending. Because being a Stags fan never ends.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Wilfred » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:26 am

Great idea Bros.

Other topics could include why Colin Toon never had a hair out of place at the end of 90 minutes, Bill Curry being given a ciggy from Syd Carter when he needed treatment on the pitch and Colin Treharne's aversion to narrowing the angle.
Being a Stags fan never has a happy ending. Because being a Stags fan never ends.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Wilfred » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:58 am

part time pete wrote:Just seen this thread and can vouch for Wilfred or Dave or Tuo or what even he calls himself.

A stag through and through and a very decent bloke to boot.

Sorry to hear about his problems with attending, but if he ever wants picking up when we are travelling up north to away games then he knows how to get in touch with me.

Thanks Pete. Very thoughtful and much appreciated.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Wilfred » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks for your kind words above, Dan. Tried to respond using your post but I was told there was an "SQL error" which totally flummoxed this luddite.

I remember travelling to see The Stags play Doncaster Rovers at Belle Vue a few years ago. I met you and Mrs Dan to be in the supporters club there. It was love at first sight. And I thought Mrs Dan to be was quite tasty too :D .
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Wilfred wrote:It's over 60 years since my dad first took me in the Bishop Street stand to see The Stags. And watching that video brought tears to my eyes.

Unfortunately I can no longer get to many matches. But I now want to give something back in return for what the Radfords et al are doing to restore pride and faith in the only football club I have ever loved.

As someone who can't attend very often I would like to make it possible for someone who can. Preferably a parent and child who would not normally be able to attend due to financial constraints. They would then be my voice cheering The Stags on to victory in my absence.

If someone associated with the club , Martin, Paul or a n other, would like to pm me we can discuss my offer.

Nowadays I often forget what happened yesterday. But my first trip to Field Mill in the 1950's was a thrill that will live with me to my dying day. And I want that thrill to be experienced by a local youngster sitting alongside their dad, mum, grandad or whoever.

:mansfield_till_i_die: :coys:

I’ve been brooding over Dave/Wilfred's post overnight and thinking out loud I wonder whether this could be part of a bigger, wider, Stags supporters thing. There are already many offers of lifts so it could be an MTFC database of people who'd like to go to games but cant get because of transport/accessibility issues and they could get matched with people offering lifts and assistance (me and my Dad used to be given a lift to games by an old guy who lived on Newboundmill Lane in Skegby), but additionally there could also be a fund to enable people to get in that wouldn't otherwise be able to afford to. I also don't get as often as I used to (more location than knees - but that will come) and I'd also like to make a contribution towards enabling that to happen, and I'm sure that others possibly would like to do the same.

I've no idea how it would be managed (maybe through the SSA?) but ultimately wonder whether it’d be a database that has offers of lifts and then the sum of the contributions go towards buying x number of season tickets that could possibly be then matched by the club and the SSA (hope I'm not speaking out of turn), or maybe on a match by match basis. I don't know how they would be awarded, whether by nomination, etc.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Wilf's offer is great and personal to him, but putting things in the hands of a third party would create bad feeling, with those thinking who's more deserving, 'me or him'? I wouldn't like to have to make the choice if I was the 3rd party. It should remain the responsibility of the person who's made the offer.
The data base is a great idea, but we have this site and most Stags fans will access this. There should be a 'sticky' for the offers of 'free' lifts to games for those that find travel difficult.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:05 pm

Wilfred wrote:Thanks for your kind words above, Dan. Tried to respond using your post but I was told there was an "SQL error" which totally flummoxed this luddite.

I remember travelling to see The Stags play Doncaster Rovers at Belle Vue a few years ago. I met you and Mrs Dan to be in the supporters club there. It was love at first sight. And I thought Mrs Dan to be was quite tasty too :D .

:lol: :lol: Yes I remember that, when the t-shirts were worn by both sets of fans, great day/night that was.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Spiritater wrote:Wilf's offer is great and personal to him, but putting things in the hands of a third party would create bad feeling, with those thinking who's more deserving, 'me or him'? I wouldn't like to have to make the choice if I was the 3rd party. It should remain the responsibility of the person who's made the offer.
The data base is a great idea, but we have this site and most Stags fans will access this. There should be a 'sticky' for the offers of 'free' lifts to games for those that find travel difficult.

You just pick the name out of a hat.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:20 pm

ParisStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Wilf's offer is great and personal to him, but putting things in the hands of a third party would create bad feeling, with those thinking who's more deserving, 'me or him'? I wouldn't like to have to make the choice if I was the 3rd party. It should remain the responsibility of the person who's made the offer.

You just pick the name out of a hat.

Burton's ? :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Paul N » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:03 am

Hi Wilfred I hope your well, can i say what a fantastic thread. Only just been able to catch up with everything on here.
If i can help move your kind gesture forward, to make this happen please pm me your contact details and i will give you a call.
Again can i just say, this is what makes it for me being a Stags fan, ever since from the days of getting involved with fundraising and doing my bit with the 12thStag, Mansfield fans are just the best.
Made lifetime friends and me being in the position i am now with the club just makes it the best job in the world.
Again thank you Wilfred and to everyone for your continuous support.

Paul Nyland.
paul.nyland@mansfieldtown.net
facebook.com/mansfieldtownfccommercial
twitter.com/MTFCCommercial
Paul N
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:39 pm

Agreed. Superb gesture
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby mansfield_smooth » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:14 pm

What an absolutely awesome thread this is....

Wilfred that is an incredible offer, as others have said if you ever want to visit I'm sure one of us could make it possible for you?
Together
Everybody
Achieves
More

TEAM - we can all play our parts for all things good for MTFC
mansfield_smooth
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:35 pm

What a bloody lovely thread this is!
The video is great, so important to get young ones hooked, well done to all involved and Wilfred that's a great offer!
Your scenario makes me wonder... is it time MTFC put themselves forward as a supporter of a "safe standing" area?
PYHBO! Episode 2 out Already! Want one?

twitter.com/SatiricalStag
HitchcocksShins
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Wilfred » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:57 am

Thanks Smooth and Shins.

The kindness shown to me on this thread has been overwhelming.

The club has also been fantastic and something will be in place shortly to make my wish come true.

We now have a club which genuinely cares about its supporters and makes me proud to be a Stag.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Big Lad Stag » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:00 am

Totaly agree with all the sentiments on this thread. Wilf you are a brilliant example of a die_hard stags fan. Like you i find it difficult to attend but for different reasons. My son holds a season ticket so i have a lift. The old codgers corner is a brilliant idea, as a teenager i used to moan about Waggy, strigy, Treherne etc, standing on Bishop street steps at north stand end. Can remember when for an extra bob we could sit in Bishop street stand. Feel the good times are just around the corner.
Big Lad Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Brinner » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:41 am

Can anybody remember little Emma going round the ground before the match and at half time with her tray of chocolate etc.? Long time ago that!!!
Brinner
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Big Lad Stag » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:14 pm

The old toilets in the corner are my not to be forgotten memories.Got pushed out of the way as Billy Wright switched on the floodlights.Over the years been there for the bad & the good.My mum knitted my hat, and i painted my wooden rattle.Good luck Wilf, hope you see the stags again.
Big Lad Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby The One » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:37 pm

Brinner wrote:Can anybody remember little Emma going round the ground before the match and at half time with her tray of chocolate etc.? Long time ago that!!!

Wow yes.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:25 pm

The One wrote:
Brinner wrote:Can anybody remember little Emma going round the ground before the match and at half time with her tray of chocolate etc.? Long time ago that!!!

Wow yes.

Remember Emma well. She was also a regular on the away trip buses which, way back when, were organised by the supporters club. A real character.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Wilfred » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Big Lad Stag wrote:The old toilets in the corner are my not to be forgotten memories.Got pushed out of the way as Billy Wright switched on the floodlights.Over the years been there for the bad & the good.My mum knitted my hat, and i painted my wooden rattle.Good luck Wilf, hope you see the stags again.

Ta Big Lad. I'll certainly be watching The Stags again. My mam knitted me a hat, a scarf and a zip up cardigan - all in blue and amber. The funniest episode wearing the colours was in the days of the Count of Calver. I took my two Stags scarves on a trip to China and one Chinese official thought that the "Haslam Out" version was some sort of anti government protest and asked me not to wear it.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:07 pm

I bought a few things off that tray I'm sure. Wagon Wheels that were MAHOOSIVE those days and those chuffing hot chewing gums called Klix, they warmed you up on a cold day.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:52 pm

Emma's tray, inspector Grants stick and Wiggy the programme seller's wig are indelibly etched into my memory !
northern stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum