{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Family section

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Family section

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Always happy to pick you up en route Dave, I've got an estate so I can even stick you in the back so you can travel hearse-style
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:22 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:This offer sums Dave (Wildred) up. Frankly, the nicest guy you could wish to meet, and his offer will be 100% bonafide, as he's always willing to extend a hand to folks.

Mate, like Foxy has offered (good on ya Foxy), if ever you feel the urge to want a visit, you're more than welcome to get in touch with me also and I'd come up the big highway to pick you up and deliver you from door to turnstile, and back again, via the bar. Offer is always open and will remain open. Top bloke.

I knew that'd get you back on here :D .

Seriously, you and the others on here have made this old bugger feel very humble with your very kind offers.

Just to clarify. My knee problem makes standing up a tad painful after sitting down for a while. So if you've got a Popemobile, Doomy, and the powers that be find me a standing spot at the Mill then the job will be a good un.

You were the one who got me onto Stagsnet some years ago under a different username. It was in the days of the Calver Cowboy. Getting to know you personally and reading your books has been a real pleasure.

And whilst we're having a mutual love-in I would urge you,on behalf of many Stagsnetters, to start re-posting on here. You've been missed.
Being a Stags fan never has a happy ending. Because being a Stags fan never ends.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Wilfred » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:27 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Always happy to pick you up en route Dave, I've got an estate so I can even stick you in the back so you can travel hearse-style

Cheers MM.

Practising for my ultimate arrival at the crem sounds a novel idea.
Being a Stags fan never has a happy ending. Because being a Stags fan never ends.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:37 pm

Sorry if I'm treading on toes/asking too much but surely if he club are listening there is something that can be done for you if it was explained properly.

Old or young everyone should be able to come and it would be a massive shame if it keeps you from coming.

Ridiculous though it sounds even if it were a table you could lean on with in the disabled area? So you're not sat down and the club could keep within the no standing malarkey in general?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:25 pm

adamstag wrote:Sorry if I'm treading on toes/asking too much but surely if he club are listening there is something that can be done for you if it was explained properly.

Old or young everyone should be able to come and it would be a massive shame if it keeps you from coming.

Ridiculous though it sounds even if it were a table you could lean on with in the disabled area? So you're not sat down and the club could keep within the no standing malarkey in general?

Please don't tread on my toes, Adam. My knees are bad enough. :D

Another very kind thought. Thank you.

Let me try and put it as concisely as I can.

My knees are wearing out and my days of sitting at events such as football matches, the theatre, pictures etc are getting fewer and fewer. There's nothing I can do to change this situation. In Mansfield terms it's just "owd age".

But my absence from the Mill can be rectified by someone else taking my place. Today's thread about the Family Section crystalised my thoughts.

So thanks for your kindness and thoughts, Adam.

I'll still be making the occasional trip to watch The Stags. But I'd like someone and their parent/guardian to be at every home match and support The Stags on my behalf.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tibby » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:38 pm

If there were more people like you, the world would be a much better place to live

How amazing that John Radford and Steve Evans has contributed to us creating this feel good atmosphere around the club.

Its a great feeling being a Stags fan at the moment
tibby
First Team
First Team

Postby Wilfred » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:50 pm

tibby wrote:If there were more people like you, the world would be a much better place to live

How amazing that John Radford and Steve Evans has contributed to us creating this feel good atmosphere around the club.

Its a great feeling being a Stags fan at the moment

Cheers Tibby.

You're spot on about the feel good factor. And, like you and other Stag fans, I'm relishing every minute.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:27 pm

Just watched the video. What John Radford and family have done for this club is beyond our wildest dreams thinking back 6-7 years ago. I am so proud to support this great club, and hope we keep building for a bright future. The kids in the video, tell everyone all they need to know about the direction we are heading. COYS
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:54 pm

Wilfred you are a true gentleman, what a wonderful gesture. Please keep posting on stagsnet. I am sure your views will be even more welcome now.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:22 pm

A lovely offer, fair play chap.

The video is great. I'm glad the club are taking this seriously now. The roller coaster is on its way up, let's all make the most of it.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Wilfred you are a true gentleman, what a wonderful gesture. Please keep posting on stagsnet. I am sure your views will be even more welcome now.

Thanks Andy.

Just want a youngster to feel the "buzz" that I've had for all these years.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Wilfred » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Jamie wrote:A lovely offer, fair play chap.

The video is great. I'm glad the club are taking this seriously now. The roller coaster is on its way up, let's all make the most of it.

Thanks Jamie. Couldn't agree more.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby nick_stags » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:03 pm

Not ashamed to say that I got a bit choked up reading your post, Wilfred.

What an amazing gesture. I hope someone can benefit from this.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:17 pm

Genuinely touched by, firstly the video and secondly, the posts on this thread.

With all the negativity and accusations of apathy that get banded about, this has cheered me up and reminded me how much I love our fans. The club are recreating our community and family spirit and people like Wilfred make me proud to be a Stag.

Like many others above, Wilfred, when you do decide to go to a game, I can also give you a lift to and from the game. We have a van so you could lie down on a mattress in the back!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:18 pm

Also, while we're all having a big love in - good to see Doomy back!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:24 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:This offer sums Dave (Wildred) up. Frankly, the nicest guy you could wish to meet, and his offer will be 100% bonafide, as he's always willing to extend a hand to folks.

Mate, like Foxy has offered (good on ya Foxy), if ever you feel the urge to want a visit, you're more than welcome to get in touch with me also and I'd come up the big highway to pick you up and deliver you from door to turnstile, and back again, via the bar. Offer is always open and will remain open. Top bloke.

Welcome back mate
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:27 pm

nick_stags wrote:Not ashamed to say that I got a bit choked up reading your post, Wilfred.

What an amazing gesture. I hope someone can benefit from this.

Thanks Nick.

Listening to the kids and the dads on the video made me realise how far the club has come since the dark days of the Big Bad Hatter.

People now associated with the club have given lots more in time, effort and money than I ever could. They are putting pride back into the club. My club. The club to which I have been devoted since I was a lad of four.

I can't do my bit by attending the number of matches I used to and I'm not ashamed that the video brought back memories and tears. It also spurred me on to try and encourage the type of youngsters seen in the video along to the One Call - Field Mill - my theatre of dreams.

My gesture is modest in monetary terms. Me and Mrs Wilf will have to cut back on our red meat consumption. But it will be worth it.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Wilfred » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:39 pm

ParisStag wrote:Genuinely touched by, firstly the video and secondly, the posts on this thread.

With all the negativity and accusations of apathy that get banded about, this has cheered me up and reminded me how much I love our fans. The club are recreating our community and family spirit and people like Wilfred make me proud to be a Stag.

Like many others above, Wilfred, when you do decide to go to a game, I can also give you a lift to and from the game. We have a van so you could lie down on a mattress in the back!

Thanks Paris. Lovely sentiments.

The last time I laid down in the back of a van was when we travelled to Brighton and The Stags beat Brighton 2 - 0 at the old Goldstone Ground. The headline in the local evening sports paper was "Sharkey's Two Shatter Albion." We kipped in the van on a bit of land next to Brighton racecourse and were woken in the night by explosions cos they were filming "Oh What A Lovely War" nearby. And it was the one and only time that I shared a bed with my late and great friend Bob Maddison.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:06 pm

Not a shock to read this from Wilfred, a top bloke who I think of quite often while drinking out of my pint pot that says HASLAM OUT on it that I got on my wedding day!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Wilfred wrote:
ParisStag wrote:Genuinely touched by, firstly the video and secondly, the posts on this thread.

Thanks Paris. Lovely sentiments.

The last time I laid down in the back of a van was when we travelled to Brighton and The Stags beat Brighton 2 - 0 at the old Goldstone Ground. The headline in the local evening sports paper was "Sharkey's Two Shatter Albion." We kipped in the van on a bit of land next to Brighton racecourse and were woken in the night by explosions cos they were filming "Oh What A Lovely War" nearby. And it was the one and only time that I shared a bed with my late and great friend Bob Maddison.

You seem a top bloke dave, we need characters like you at the ground on match days, telling your stories I could listen to them all day over a beer

One of my good mates lives in hove and is Brighton through and through he's 60 and been going for yonks! the goldstone ground is now a pets at home superstore, it kills him fetching his pedigree chum. We really need to get behind jr, without his backing field mill would suffer the same fate. He loves the fact we are still at field mill and have all this history and fans like you
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:36 pm

I started going as a 5 or 6 year old in the family stand (then Bishop Street Stand) with my dad and late granddad. Going to the Stags has never been a lads outing thing or a piss up thing for me, it's always been the thing I did with my dad and that he did with his dad. Since my granddad passed away, it has become an even more important thing for me to do with my dad and this year I took my little girl (nearly 3) to her first game.

I desperately want to continue our family tradition and give her those magic memories that I have from childhood of the three of us watching together. The latest progress on this area from the club and the work done by JR and team mean there has never been a better time for me to take my littlun. Proud Stags!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:59 pm

This thread - the video and Wilfred's initial post brought memories back of when my father used to take me to the games and all the magical memories over several decades.

I was touched by Wilfred's lovely gesture. I hope he continues to enrich this forum with his thoughts and views. They are well respected.

By the way, did I miss something? - why doesn't Doomy post here anymore? His posts also enriched this forum, and they are missed.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:02 am

He's having a break of his own choice VP.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:03 am

Just seen this thread and can vouch for Wilfred or Dave or Tuo or what even he calls himself.

A stag through and through and a very decent bloke to boot.

Sorry to hear about his problems with attending, but if he ever wants picking up when we are travelling up north to away games then he knows how to get in touch with me.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby SidneyOttewell » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:03 am

Genuinely moved by both Wilfred's amazing offer and the video.

It wasn't like that in my day! :D
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum