{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Best ever Stags goals

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Best ever Stags goals

Postby Beano » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:25 pm

Dave Syrett v's the mud and Spurs
Mark Kearney free kicks at either Middlesborough or Wallsall
Simon Ireland at Elland Road
O'Neil Donaldson in his pre signing loan days (didn't he just run through everyone and score or did I dream that bit?)
Big George making amends in the FRT
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby G B » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:30 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
garlic wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Easily the best was scored by defender Simon Coleman at field mill on a foggy night versus Northampton I think. He beat 4 or 5 players from inside his own half and scored. Not seen one better and that includes premier league!!!

Wonderful goal, happy happy memories, best i`ve seen at the Mill

Glad other people saw it, I thought I might have dreamt it!!!

I was at the game but can't say that I saw all the goal as I was in the North Stand that night. I just remember him setting off into the fog and then hearing a roar from the fans in the West stand shortly afterwards.
G B
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:31 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Rob wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Easily the best was scored by defender Simon Coleman at field mill on a foggy night versus Northampton I think. He beat 4 or 5 players from inside his own half and scored. Not seen one better and that includes premier league!!!

I was going to put that and then couldn't remember if it really happened! He had a spell shortly after playing up front didn't he? Noel Luke scored a similar goal, again no-one in the North could really see it cos it was in the QLE and it was a typical foggy Tues night. Ahh, happy times, I liked Noel Luke.

was Colemans goal ever captured on camera anyone?

would love to see it again

it was, yes

where can i watch it Marty plz ?
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby SidneyOttewell » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:18 am

Ones that stick in my mind....

Cyrille L'Helgoualch on home debut? v Rochdale (98/99)
Benning v Newport
Foster v Wigan
Kevin Kent v Bristol City
Lathan v Scunthorpe
Baraclough v Hereford
Green v Hereford
Clarke & Eccles v Coventry, FA Cup 1975
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Vice President » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:19 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Rob wrote:

I was going to put that and then couldn't remember if it really happened! He had a spell shortly after playing up front didn't he? Noel Luke scored a similar goal, again no-one in the North could really see it cos it was in the QLE and it was a typical foggy Tues night. Ahh, happy times, I liked Noel Luke.

it was, yes

I remember that goal well (and the one at Saltergate). It was all the more surreal because he was a central defender that was temporarily transformed into a 'roy of the rovers' striker. Martin - if it was captured on camera can you post it?
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:22 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Rob wrote:

it was, yes

where can i watch it Marty plz ?

for now, in my lounge yorky. I'll make you a brew

At some point, I will, I'm sure, get round to put lots of our classic video on youtube. But I don't think it will be imminent for reasons I explained before
viewtopic.php?p=534590#p534590
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Vice President » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:23 am

Some wonderful goals mentioned here - and another memorable one was John Lathan's screamer into the top corner, the 7th goal against Scunthorpe when we were crowned Champions of Div 4.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:48 am

Agree with a lot of what have been said previously but what about big Ex's last minute headed equaliser against Fleetwood in the play off season.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:49 am

Not a screamer but Liam Lawrence's goal in the last minute at Saltergate has to be up there. that moment is so special to me and i'm sure most other staggies
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby hibbmtfc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:04 am

Ones i witnessed myself

Liams late winner at Saltergate
Corden v County
Mitchell v County
Sellars v Luton
Iyseden 10 miles offside at County to equalise
Iysedens 4 goals v Colchester
Iysedens 6 minute hat trick home to Stockport in the cup
Briscoe at Luton to send us to Wembley
Baraclough v Hereford
Greenacre thunderbolt at Rotherham
White at Barnsley
Williamson at Lincoln
Howell at Alfreton
hibbmtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:05 am

This season, I would say Hurst's last minute goal at Newport.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:39 am

Anyone remember Murrays goal away at Bury? About 2005... Seem to remember it being Van Basten like but that might be my mind playing tricks on me over time...

Would love to find a video of it.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Admiral Sook » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:46 am

:D Loving this thread :D

I remember going to chesterfield in the mid 80's and their fans starting a chant we'd never heard them do before, a Zulu chant. We listened and everybody just laughed when they'd finished. :lol:
The very last kick of the game Sir Keith Cassells scored to make it 1-0 :D
Far from a classic goal but that feeling was superb.
Admiral Sook
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sweden Stag » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:47 am

SidneyOttewell wrote:Ones that stick in my mind....

Benning v Newport
Foster v Wigan
Lathan v Scunthorpe
Baraclough v Hereford
Green v Hereford

The Coventry game in 1975 wasn't in the FA Cup. It was in the League Cup during the 1975-76 campaign in which the Stags finished 19 games unbeaten in the old third division
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby SidneyOttewell » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:31 pm

Sweden Stag wrote:
SidneyOttewell wrote:Ones that stick in my mind....

Benning v Newport
Foster v Wigan
Lathan v Scunthorpe
Baraclough v Hereford
Green v Hereford

The Coventry game in 1975 wasn't in the FA Cup. It was in the League Cup during the 1975-76 campaign in which the Stags finished 19 games unbeaten in the old third division

Yes, of course it was, thanks. I went to the Final in 1976 when Man City won (they beat us in R5) and had the privilege of seeing the MT flag flying at Wembley.
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby golfmickeyboy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:42 pm

I remember a goal from ,maybe the sixties. It was scored from the half way line by Wilf Humble against Colchester in a 6-0 or 6-1 win. He scored into the North Stand goal. It was a midweek match.
golfmickeyboy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:46 pm

Spiritater wrote:
ParisStag wrote:Marriot vs Mayebi
Greenacre scored one after a sweeping counter attack - a series of passes including a diagonal to Lawrence and his cross to Chrissy who either volleyed or half volleyed it in. Can't remember who against.

Benning vs Newport was up there with some of Wayno's best. Was it Andy White who scored against Notts with a belter?

v Uddersfield in t'Cup, won 4-0. Awesome game of total brilliance.

Probably the best game of football I have ever seen at the Mill. To see our team play in such a way was just incredible - everything clicked and we absolutely destroyed a decent team.

By the way, when I said Kearney in my first post I meant Barra and when I said Halifax, I meant Hereford. Other than that, I got it spot on :lol:

Darrell Clarke scored a beauty in the QLE, a deft lob from about 20 yards sort of on the half turn (it was one of those games that Darrell turned up in).
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:35 pm

Ahh Huddersfield in the cup. What a game that was... We were incredible that day.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:17 pm

Keep it Simple wrote:John Lathan v Lincoln City in a 3-1 win. He repeated it in the 7-0 drubbing of Scunthorpe the same season.

Was going to post about the Lathan one against Scunny.

And the Barker last minute winner at Rotherham as mentioned, caused a once in a decade celebration that will live with me forever.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby markntalbot » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Stant at Walsall and Scunthorpe in the promotion season
markntalbot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Marky Mark » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Foster's goal against Wigan is easily the winner of this, definitely my favourite all-time goal - I was in the Quarry End lane of lower West at the time as a 12 year old, and I think I got carted a good 40 yards by the celebrating crowd, took my Dad 10 minutes to find me.

http://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/video/wigan01.mpg

Also glad someone has mentioned Wilkinsons goal at Burnley in 91/92, that still remains the best game of football that I've seen with my own eyes. I'm glad someone also confirmed that Castledine's goal actually happened against Blackpool because I'd convinced myself that it was a figment of my imagination. I remember seeing a Castledine run and dribble from his own half, I think a reserve game against Sheffield Wednesday or someone, where it felt like he had the ball for about 5 minutes and beat everyone twice, only to be stopped by a great save from the keeper. I even think their players had their heads in their hands at being deprived the best goal anyone had ever seen.

I think Cyrille's goal was against Rochdale, and I remember Whitehall scoring a couple of crackers in his season with us.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Calstag » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:37 pm

Is that 4-0 FA cup game anywhere in the web, what a game that was! They were also doing well in L1 at the time if I remember correctly, and I'm sure my dads mate had a £1 bet on 4-0 and greenacre hat trick made him £900, but like I say if memory serves my right...
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stiff as a Dearden » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:52 pm

Feel sorry for anyone who started watching us after the Lawrence era. not much to write about other than a few important green goals.

Greenacre opening day at cheltenham, think the keeper may have done a little better on that.

Cyril L'gouche was a belter!
Stiff as a Dearden
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby wink68 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:13 pm

G B wrote:
Alwaysa5tag wrote:Gary Castledine scored a worldie....i think it either won or was nominated for goal of the season on calendar....someone remind me of the opposition....i think it was blackpool??

Yes it was Blackpool away in the early 90s. I remember the game and the Stags performance being awful and I think that goal was an injury time equaliser. It was worth the trip just for that goal though which was totally out of context with anything else that happened in the game. In fact the performance was so poor, most Stags fans had long left the ground and missed the goal.

My mate said it was the best goal he's ever seen. Unfortunately the Lancashire constabulary had already invited me to leave the ground so i missed it. Still never seen it. Would be great if we could get footage of if.
wink68
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Foster's goal against Wigan is easily the winner of this, definitely my favourite all-time goal - I was in the Quarry End lane of lower West at the time as a 12 year old, and I think I got carted a good 40 yards by the celebrating crowd, took my Dad 10 minutes to find me.

http://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/video/wigan01.mpg

Also glad someone has mentioned Wilkinsons goal at Burnley in 91/92, that still remains the best game of football that I've seen with my own eyes. I'm glad someone also confirmed that Castledine's goal actually happened against Blackpool because I'd convinced myself that it was a figment of my imagination. I remember seeing a Castledine run and dribble from his own half, I think a reserve game against Sheffield Wednesday or someone, where it felt like he had the ball for about 5 minutes and beat everyone twice, only to be stopped by a great save from the keeper. I even think their players had their heads in their hands at being deprived the best goal anyone had ever seen.

I think Cyrille's goal was against Rochdale, and I remember Whitehall scoring a couple of crackers in his season with us.

I, along with loads of other Stags fans, got a parking ticket at that Burnley game. We parked near the ground and the local police said we were OK to park where we did - only to return to a yellow sticker and glue that took 2 years to get off. It was a great game. George's goal is right up there for loads of reasons, the atmosphere and roar when he scored, the quality of the goal and the fact it was Big George - a proper legend.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum