{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Best ever Stags goals

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Best ever Stags goals

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:44 pm

stagone1959 wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:Calvin Andrew

Shut Up,you lucky git !

£££ :lol:
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Calstag » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Baptiste v Colchester

Mackintosh v Blackpool

Mckenzie v hull

Cordon v Carlisle

Woodman v county

Greenacre v Cheltenham

Williamson v Lincoln
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:09 pm

Corden's v Carlisle was pretty special.

There's a Gordon Hodgeson goal v Rotherham from about 1976 that was a belter. The game was televisedfor YTV but I've never been able to track it down on youtube.

Mal's last season v Newport was spectacular, if it had been in the Prem with the build up it would have been a goal of the season contender.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Seen loads and loads of stupendous strikes. Too many to pick a No1.

Loads of great goals in hum drum games also so they didn't really matter that much.

For sheer drama, for sheer relief, for never ever forgetting it, for what it meant to the club, for what it could've meant for the club as to where we are playing our football now I look at the one scored at 21.32pmish 16/04/13.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:34 pm

I seem to remember some pretty spectacular Neil McKenzie strikes as it seems he was probably the sweetest consistent striker of the ball we've had and that's saying something.

All three goals against West Ham probably got me the most excited I've ever been at a stags match because I couldn't believe we were totally trouncing such quality opposition in the manner we were doing.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby yaxhamstag » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Rob wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Easily the best was scored by defender Simon Coleman at field mill on a foggy night versus Northampton I think. He beat 4 or 5 players from inside his own half and scored. Not seen one better and that includes premier league!!!

I was going to put that and then couldn't remember if it really happened! He had a spell shortly after playing up front didn't he? Noel Luke scored a similar goal, again no-one in the North could really see it cos it was in the QLE and it was a typical foggy Tues night. Ahh, happy times, I liked Noel Luke.

I remember Simon Coleman playing up front, must have been late 80s. Remember he got a couple at Saltergate in a 3-1 win. Also, when he was back in defence, he scored a corker at Port Vale (2-1 win I think) - I think we played PV, Wolves and Sheff Utd in a matter of weeks, and all three were battling promotion. It was the other end of the pitch and I'm not sure we'd realised he scored. Good player.
Broadsword calling Danny Boy
yaxhamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:08 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Rob wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Easily the best was scored by defender Simon Coleman at field mill on a foggy night versus Northampton I think. He beat 4 or 5 players from inside his own half and scored. Not seen one better and that includes premier league!!!

I was going to put that and then couldn't remember if it really happened! He had a spell shortly after playing up front didn't he? Noel Luke scored a similar goal, again no-one in the North could really see it cos it was in the QLE and it was a typical foggy Tues night. Ahh, happy times, I liked Noel Luke.

was Colemans goal ever captured on camera anyone?

would love to see it again

it was, yes
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stagparty » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:11 pm

Was it Wilkinson?

Night match v Wrexham late 80's early 90's, they had a free kick near their own goal line quarry land end, defender kicked it to keeper who wasn't paying attention, Wilkinson? walked around keep with ball and scored, won 3-1?
20/04/2013 Back where we belong.
stagparty
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Sneag wrote:There's a Gordon Hodgeson goal v Rotherham from about 1976 that was a belter. The game was televisedfor YTV but I've never been able to track it down on youtube.

Dec 1975. I tried to get hold of that without success. I don't think that will ever surface now.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby m1cksut » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:17 pm

Stockportstag wrote:Ray Keeley v West Ham 1968/69 FA Cup

:good_post:
told you, what carolyn wants, carolyn gets.
m1cksut
First Team
First Team

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:26 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sneag wrote:There's a Gordon Hodgeson goal v Rotherham from about 1976 that was a belter. The game was televisedfor YTV but I've never been able to track it down on youtube.

Dec 1975. I tried to get hold of that without success. I don't think that will ever surface now.

Aye, 20th Dec 1975, lost 2-1
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Marriot vs Mayebi
Greenacre scored one after a sweeping counter attack - a series of passes including a diagonal to Lawrence and his cross to Chrissy who either volleyed or half volleyed it in. Can't remember who against.

Benning vs Newport was up there with some of Wayno's best. Was it Andy White who scored against Notts with a belter?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Wonderful goal, happy happy memories, best i`ve seen at the Mill
garlic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Calstag » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:26 pm

The Lawrence 1 away at Huddersfield was a special moment
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:41 pm

ParisStag wrote:Marriot vs Mayebi
Greenacre scored one after a sweeping counter attack - a series of passes including a diagonal to Lawrence and his cross to Chrissy who either volleyed or half volleyed it in. Can't remember who against.

Benning vs Newport was up there with some of Wayno's best. Was it Andy White who scored against Notts with a belter?

v Uddersfield in t'Cup, won 4-0. Awesome game of total brilliance.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Keep it Simple » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:53 pm

John Lathan v Lincoln City in a 3-1 win. He repeated it in the 7-0 drubbing of Scunthorpe the same season.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chris M » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Keith Cassells. Our third goal against Wolves in 1988 in a 3-1 home win. Curled it into the top right hand corner of the North Stand goal. A truly fantastic finish from one of my all time favourite players. Cass was class!
Chris M
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:11 pm

m1cksut wrote:
Stockportstag wrote:Ray Keeley v West Ham 1968/69 FA Cup

:good_post:
Thats the one for me too.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby G B » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Alwaysa5tag wrote:Gary Castledine scored a worldie....i think it either won or was nominated for goal of the season on calendar....someone remind me of the opposition....i think it was blackpool??

Yes it was Blackpool away in the early 90s. I remember the game and the Stags performance being awful and I think that goal was an injury time equaliser. It was worth the trip just for that goal though which was totally out of context with anything else that happened in the game. In fact the performance was so poor, most Stags fans had long left the ground and missed the goal.
G B
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby awalkinthepark » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:48 pm

yaxhamstag wrote:
Rob wrote:

I remember Simon Coleman playing up front, must have been late 80s. Remember he got a couple at Saltergate in a 3-1 win. Also, when he was back in defence, he scored a corker at Port Vale (2-1 win I think) - I think we played PV, Wolves and Sheff Utd in a matter of weeks, and all three were battling promotion. It was the other end of the pitch and I'm not sure we'd realised he scored. Good player.

I remember the game at Wolves. Scored the first and last goal of the match. Can't remember what happened in between.........
awalkinthepark
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tibby » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Andy White - Barnsley away
tibby
First Team
First Team

Postby hucknallstag » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 pm

greenacre's at cheltenham was class,greens at Hereford but my fav....lawrence at Huddersfield when we won 3-1...build up and finish well above league 2 standard
hucknallstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Chris M wrote:Keith Cassells. Our third goal against Wolves in 1988 in a 3-1 home win. Curled it into the top right hand corner of the North Stand goal. A truly fantastic finish from one of my all time favourite players. Cass was class!

Wow that goal and game were one of my favs, but Colemans goal still the best.
cassellswasmagic
First Team
First Team

Postby Frontrowhero » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:07 pm

the next 1st half goal at home
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:08 pm

garlic wrote:

Wonderful goal, happy happy memories, best i`ve seen at the Mill

Glad other people saw it, I thought I might have dreamt it!!!
cassellswasmagic
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum