{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Best ever Stags goals

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Best ever Stags goals

Postby Wh_Stag » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:03 pm

Alex baptiste, didn't he score a screamer from the half way line?
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Dave Syrett goal just crossing the line in the mud.....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:04 pm

tim wrote:http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/stags-golden-goals-keith-cassells-scores-debut-hat-trick-to-start-mansfield-town-promotion-season-1-8381677

One of Keith Cassells' best.

And a crowd of only 2,405, when we still had the pits, still had the Shoe co, still had the Metalbox, still had the Hosiery Mills and there was ' nowt fur kids tu du'. Apathy back int day 'tater who would have believed it.
Who needs a Dutchman, when we've got Holland.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:26 am

tim wrote:http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/stags-golden-goals-keith-cassells-scores-debut-hat-trick-to-start-mansfield-town-promotion-season-1-8381677

Keith had played at a high level earlier in his career but was no big time Charlie. He worked his socks off for us over four seasons and was instrumental in our promotion in 1986 and then Frieght Rover win in 1987.
I still think my favourite Stags goal was one of Keith's scored against Wolves. He curled it into the top right hand corner of North Stand goal from left of area. We all went barmy. Wolves won the league and their side included England international Steve Bull. We won 3-1. Keith scored two that day.
Chris M
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:21 am

Chris M wrote:

Keith had played at a high level earlier in his career but was no big time Charlie. He worked his socks off for us over four seasons and was instrumental in our promotion in 1986 and then Frieght Rover win in 1987.
I still think my favourite Stags goal was one of Keith's scored against Wolves. He curled it into the top right hand corner of North Stand goal from left of area. We all went barmy. Wolves won the league and their side included England international Steve Bull. We won 3-1. Keith scored two that day.

Keith Cassells would definitely be one of my first pics for 'the hall of fame'.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:07 am

Big yella wrote:

And a crowd of only 2,405, when we still had the pits, still had the Shoe co, still had the Metalbox, still had the Hosiery Mills and there was ' nowt fur kids tu du'. Apathy back int day 'tater who would have believed it.

T'was at t'end of Miners Strike though bud, much uncertainty over t'industry. Also many folk were on holiday in the middle two weeks of August. After that we remained above 3k all season barring Rochdale in the Nov of 85.

It's interesting looking at those fixtures of some of the away attendances.

Aldershot 1,307
Burnley 2,200 :shock:
Wrexham 1,363
Exeter 1,798
Halifax 1,414
Scunny 1,780
Camb U 1,957
Tranmere 1,540
Colchester 1,956
Torquay 1,880
Crewe 2,099
Southend 1,044 :shock:
Rochdale 1,936
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Alwaysa5tag » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:35 am

Wh_Stag wrote:Alex baptiste, didn't he score a screamer from the half way line?

Remember a 30+ yard volley in FA cup against Colchester if thats the one ur on about....i think it was Carlton Palmers 1st game in charge if memory serves me correct.....
Alwaysa5tag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:23 am

Spiritater wrote:
Big yella wrote:

T'was at t'end of Miners Strike though bud, much uncertainty over t'industry. Also many folk were on holiday in the middle two weeks of August. After that we remained above 3k all season barring Rochdale in the Nov of 85.

Aldershot 1,307
Wrexham 1,363
Exeter 1,798
Halifax 1,414
Scunny 1,780
Camb U 1,957
Tranmere 1,540
Colchester 1,956
Torquay 1,880
Crewe 2,099
Rochdale 1,936

It was nowt to do with the strike as the season kicked off 6 months after the strike ended and as we know, the vast majority of Notts miners didn't lose a penny and were secure in the knowledge that Maggie was going to take care of them ;)

The shocking gates in the 80s were reflective of the wider malaise in the game. Crumbling stadiums and rampant hooliganism was driving punter away in droves. The years in the run up to Hilsborough were the low water mark for football in England.

Since the gentrification and sanitisation of football started in the 90s, the game may have lost a lot of its soul but we shouldn't forget also that there was just as much about the game in the 80s that was utterly toxic.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Fitzy499 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:57 am

O'neill Donaldson or Simon ireland goals against wolves in the fa cup 94/95 season
Fitzy499
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Sneag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Aldershot 1,307
Wrexham 1,363
Exeter 1,798
Halifax 1,414
Scunny 1,780
Camb U 1,957
Tranmere 1,540
Colchester 1,956
Torquay 1,880
Crewe 2,099
Rochdale 1,936

It was nowt to do with the strike as the season kicked off 6 months after the strike ended and as we know, the vast majority of Notts miners didn't lose a penny and were secure in the knowledge that Maggie was going to take care of them ;)

The shocking gates in the 80s were reflective of the wider malaise in the game. Crumbling stadiums and rampant hooliganism was driving punter away in droves. The years in the run up to Hilsborough were the low water mark for football in England.

Since the gentrification and sanitisation of football started in the 90s, the game may have lost a lot of its soul but we shouldn't forget also that there was just as much about the game in the 80s that was utterly toxic.

Ok, it must've been the holiday thing then :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:51 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Aldershot 1,307
Wrexham 1,363
Exeter 1,798
Halifax 1,414
Scunny 1,780
Camb U 1,957
Tranmere 1,540
Colchester 1,956
Torquay 1,880
Crewe 2,099
Rochdale 1,936

Ok, it must've been the holiday thing then :D

Or there is no apathy and we have had the same crowds for the last 30 years. ;) ;)
Who needs a Dutchman, when we've got Holland.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby tim » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:24 am

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/vi ... -1-8392302

Quite a few will remember this great day out.
tim
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby groundhoppingstag » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:34 pm

Micky Boulding scored some crackers.
Opening league game away at Brentford, the season we went down, was a special strike.
groundhoppingstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby frt1987 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Aldershot 1,307
Wrexham 1,363
Exeter 1,798
Halifax 1,414
Scunny 1,780
Camb U 1,957
Tranmere 1,540
Colchester 1,956
Torquay 1,880
Crewe 2,099
Rochdale 1,936

If I remember correctly (bearing in mind it is over 30 years ago) I think the Rochdale attendance was low due to thick fog and many not braving the conditions for fear of postponement. The match eventually went ahead and Mansfield took the points.. Although not many can claimed to have seen the goals
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby dave syretts hatrick » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:28 pm

This takes some beating -

Dave Caldwell in the 1980/81 season FA Cup:

It was in the next round of the FA Cup that Caldwell scored a memorable goal in a 3-1 win at non-league Mossley. He ran half the length of the field, leaving a couple of defenders for dead, then eeled his way along the bye-line and beat the goalkeeper with a left-foot blast into the top corner of the net. In an exclusive interview with FTYBR in 1992, Caldwell described this goal as the best of his Stags career. He said `I beat the whole team, hit it with my left foot and it went in the top corner. It was unusual to score with my left foot`.
'I've decided to pick my moment to retire very carefully - in about 200 years time'.
dave syretts hatrick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:51 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:53 pm

frt1987 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Aldershot 1,307
Wrexham 1,363
Exeter 1,798
Halifax 1,414
Scunny 1,780
Camb U 1,957
Tranmere 1,540
Colchester 1,956
Torquay 1,880
Crewe 2,099
Rochdale 1,936

If I remember correctly (bearing in mind it is over 30 years ago) I think the Rochdale attendance was low due to thick fog and many not braving the conditions for fear of postponement. The match eventually went ahead and Mansfield took the points.. Although not many can claimed to have seen the goals

I remember the game well and Paul Taylor and I were chatting about it only last week. The Stags won 3-2. The worst fog I've ever seen a game completed in
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks for the suggestions... keep them coming.

This week and on to THAT day at Wembley. The greatest day ever as a fan? Not sure in being in the old Div 2 was better but still a magic, magic day.

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/vi ... -1-8406852
tim
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:29 pm

tim wrote:Thanks for the suggestions... keep them coming.

This week and on to THAT day at Wembley. The greatest day ever as a fan? Not sure in being in the old Div 2 was better but still a magic, magic day.

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/vi ... -1-8406852

Some great articles Tim bringing back some very fond memories and I am sure reminding us all why we support our club - it's those very few moments of sheer joy that make it all worthwhile. Whilst I did go to all the home games in Div 2 in 76/77 I was only 8 so my memories aren't as clear as Wembley. That day at Wembley remains the greatest day I have had as a Stags fan - I was close to tears when George lifted the trophy, it was such a big deal for the club and town that had been through so much. The parade was also very special, though it was a pity about the trouble at the Cockle, I had to beat a hasty retreat when it all kicked off, me being a lover not a fighter :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby tim » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:36 pm

Thanks Rob... yes your memories of that day and the day after echo mine.
Who would have thought we would ever play at Wembley let alone win there... but we did!
tim
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tim » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:39 am

tim
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chris M » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:28 pm

tim wrote:Thanks Rob... yes your memories of that day and the day after echo mine.
Who would have thought we would ever play at Wembley let alone win there... but we did!

It is easy to forget that in the mid eighties it was almost unheard of for a lower league club to play at Wembley, a stadium normally reserved for international and league and FA cup finals. In those days I never imagined we would ever play there at all let alone beat the holders of the trophy in the final. It is a day I will never ever forget. Wonderful memories of the day and homecoming celebrations on the following day that incidentally was a Bank Holiday.
Chris M
First Team
First Team

Postby tim » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:30 am

A player few remember but scorer of goals so vital at the time.
http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/st ... -1-8429358
tim
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Vice President » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:42 pm

tim wrote:A player few remember but scorer of goals so vital at the time.
http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/st ... -1-8429358

That photo is quite amusing - look at the short shorts! the ugly floodlight pylons and the shape of the Halifax player in the background! :lol: The game has moved on quite a bit since the 80's.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tim » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Another blast from the past and one mentioned earlier in this thread.

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/ma ... -1-8443320
tim
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum