{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Most honoured?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Most honoured?

Postby ParisStag » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:29 pm

Have we appointed the most successful manager in English football history (in terms of promotions)??

Steve Warnock, Dave Bassett and Graham Taylor all have 7 and I can't find any others with that many or more except Evans, who has 9.

Can anyone find any others?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Re: Most honoured?

Postby Jay » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:46 pm

Evans hasn't got 9 promotions in the League though has he?
Jay
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Calstag » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:50 pm

Jay wrote:Evans hasn't got 9 promotions in the League though has he?

Has not jay :roll:
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:03 pm

Football League or non-league doesn't come into it, but the club announced him as 'nine-time promotion winning Steve Evans'.

Looking at his record I can actually only see promotions at Stamford (x1), Boston (x2), Crawley (x2), Rotherham (x2). That makes 7 and puts him joint top most successful manager along with the 3 I named above. Where did the club get 9 from?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:08 pm

ParisStag wrote:

Football League or non-league doesn't come into it, but the club announced him as 'nine-time promotion winning Steve Evans'.

Looking at his record I can actually only see promotions at Stamford (x1), Boston (x2), Crawley (x2), Rotherham (x2). That makes 7 and puts him joint top most successful manager along with the 3 I named above. Where did the club get 9 from?

Of course league or non-league matters for a list of reasons I just cannot be bothered with right now - if you include non-league, I won 6 promotions whilst manager of Langold Juniors :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:38 pm

ParisStag wrote:

The two he's gonna get here? championship ahoy!
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:20 pm

Rob wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Of course league or non-league matters for a list of reasons I just cannot be bothered with right now - if you include non-league, I won 6 promotions whilst manager of Langold Juniors :lol:

Perhaps you could be the next 'cheap option' Rob :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:26 pm

Rob wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Stop being daft, you know what I mean. Winning promotions 1, 2 or 3 divisions bellow League 2 still counts, but your Sunday league obviously doesn't.

Question still stands, does anyone know what the mystery 2 promotions are?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Been looking at this and I think I have found the eighth one ( or should I say first.)

When he was at Stamford, they won the united counties league twice. In the first year they weren't promoted but were in their second year they were promoted to the Southern League.

Not sure where the ninth one is.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:05 pm

He's certainly the fattest
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:17 pm

Taking Paris' argument the United Counties Lg is probably tier 4 so count must as much as Sunday league. There are lies, damn lies and statistics
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:20 pm

part time pete wrote:Been looking at this and I think I have found the eighth one ( or should I say first.)

When he was at Stamford, they won the united counties league twice. In the first year they weren't promoted but were in their second year they were promoted to the Southern League.

Not sure where the ninth one is.

He probably counts the one where they weren't actually promoted as a promotion knowing Evans. I assume it was because their ground wasn't up to scratch?
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:35 pm

ParisStag wrote:
Rob wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Stop being daft, you know what I mean. Winning promotions 1, 2 or 3 divisions bellow League 2 still counts, but your Sunday league obviously doesn't.

Stamford
Question still stands, does anyone know what the mystery 2 promotions are?[/quote

Its a great question and im sure there will be stacks of explanations but these are my two

Stamford X2
Boston X2
Crawley X1
Rotherham X2 all generally accepted

Then while at Rotherham a writer Charles McGinnes did a profile about SE and in it transcribed the name of Boston for Burton and got him two extra promotions and it never got corrected.

OR
Another website Steve Evans Manager statistics shows SE getting 4 at Boston and two each at Crawley and Rotherham making 8 but makes no mention of the 1 at Stamford. So a interpretation of that could be 9 in total.

Either way statistics are lies more lies complete raspberry
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby geoffhill » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:48 am

Perhaps someone can ask Evans.From the horses mouth so to speak.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:44 am

I think Steve Evans claims two promotions at Crawley. He left on 9th April 2012 when they were 4th in League 2 after 40 games but only two points off the automatic promotion places. Craig Brewster took over and secured automatic promotion with three wins, two draws and one defeat in the last six matches.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... erham.html

http://talksport.com/sports-news/footba ... 169222?amp
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:08 am

I can only find 8 promotions for Steve Evans.

Stamford x 2
United Counties League Winners 1996-1997 and 1997-1998

Boston United x 2
Southern League Champions 1999-2000 and Conference Champions 2001-2002

Crawley Town x 2
Conference Premier Champions 2010-2011 and League 2 3rd (Promoted) 2011-2012 (Left after 40 games with Crawley in 4th place in League 2)

Rotherham United x 2
League 2 Runners Up (Promoted) 2012-2013 and League 1 4th Play Off Winners (Promoted) 2013-2014
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

If David Flitcroft leads the Stags to promotion then he will have achieved the same number of Football League promotions that Steve Evans has - TWO.

Note: I've taken the Crawley League 2 promotion away from him as he left after 40 games with Crawley in 4th place in League 2. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:41 am

:lol: he is a total Pillock , he just chucked 1 away :lol:

He thinks he going to get them promoted :lol:

He as played the same old record there , saying if we in the play offs we win them :lol:

let him go along spreading his yarn :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:15 am

Are we counting the Boston promotion?! :?
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:34 am

Rob wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

6 promotions?? So when you weren't on the pitch wearing black you turned into another Evans!! :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:51 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Rob wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

6 promotions?? So when you weren't on the pitch wearing black you turned into another Evans!! :P

I also reffed Langold (occasionally), which might explain their rise from Div F to A :lol: I helped a few youth teams when my lads played and was always respectful to the referee, not once did I threaten to stick the flag up his a1rse!

Like the Crawley promotion mentioned by Darren, if we go up this season it will be Flitcroft, not Evans who gets the credit. So after all of this, the much vaunted Evans has two league promotions, in other words, only two more than Carlton.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:36 pm

Here is a very well researched article on Steve Evans by a Lincoln City fan.

Steve Evans always claimed he had 9 promotions at Mansfield Town but I could only find 8. The article confirms 8 promotions is correct although you could argue it was only 6 because Stamford were not promoted in 1995-1996 despite winning the league and he also left Crawley in 2011-2012 with 6 games to go when they were fourth. I was prepared to give him credit for 8 promotions but I know other Stags fans were not so generous :lol:

I still think the Stags would have been promoted from League 2 in 2017-2018 if he had stayed at Field Mill. We were on a great run at the time (W11 D5 L2).

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/who ... illingham/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Here is a very well researched article on Steve Evans by a Lincoln City fan.

Steve Evans always claimed he had 9 promotions at Mansfield Town but I could only find 8. The article confirms 8 promotions is correct although you could argue it was only 6 because Stamford were not promoted in 1995-1996 despite winning the league and he also left Crawley in 2011-2012 with 6 games to go when they were fourth. I was prepared to give him credit for 8 promotions but I know other Stags fans were not so generous :lol:

I still think the Stags would have been promoted from League 2 in 2017-2018 if he had stayed at Field Mill. We were on a great run at the time (W11 D5 L2).

I still think that had Evans thought we'd get premoted he'd not have jumped ship so dispicably
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:40 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Here is a very well researched article on Steve Evans by a Lincoln City fan.

You referring to me Darren :lol:

We'd have made the play-offs in my opinion, his last game against Coventry showed him up as tactically inept, 1-0 up against ten men and drew - ultimately those needless dropped two points proved extremely costly. It also must be remembered that we had a very difficult run in.

One thing the stats don't show is how much of a massive a1rse the bloke is.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:07 pm

I’ve won 14 on fifa.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum