{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About Chesterfield

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:01 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
Rob wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
BoughtonStag71 wrote:Sheep have signed Zavon Hines Beanz from Maidstone.

Just seen he received a congratulations message from this Stags legend! Looking at his twitter it appears that he has a relation who is doing well at Charlton and just coming through the ranks, not sure if it's his son or nephew though.

Woza was decent for us Rob, but legend ...... prob not :lol:

Nice to see the Direites not panic signing anyone!

Player of the season one year for us and a St. Lucia international :lol:
Also used to be depicted in FTYBR as wearing a sraw hat and selling Lilt on the beach if I remember rightly :lol:
Had a pineapple hairstyle too, so a legend in my eyes, not all based on loads of appearances and footballing ability mind you!

Put that way you're right, legend :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby spireite_uk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:51 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
spireite_uk wrote:
Iliketrains wrote:Not sure God has done Hines any favours really. He's a striker and looking at his stats he's scored 17 goals in 10 years.

Almost certainly signed as a winger.

He's rubbish regardless. But i suppose it doesnt matter where he plays because its probably an improvement on what youve got.

It's a weird one, I remember him being really well thought of but seems to have fallen off the grid a bit in recent years. He's done well for Maidstone this year though, so fingers crossed. Senor Caldwells genius acquisitions left us with zero wingers though, so like you say, anything is an improvement.
spireite_uk
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Iliketrains » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:06 pm

I think when you are in a relegation battle you need to be bringing in players who are either at a club in the same league or ideally above. To take a gamble on a winger to make a big contribution under this pressure and especially a winger who has scored as many goals in 10 years as you might expect from a defender and who has 'done well for Maidstone this year', is risky.

If he's all that's available then perhaps i'm being harsh but i've watched a lot of NL football (i followed one of them up and down the country myself for over 15 years until recently) and if Chesterfield drop they ain't coming back for a very, very long time. In fact clubs with a background history of chaos (York / Torquay etc) tend to plummet further as the rot sets in. I can see that happening to Chesterfield although i don't wish that on any club's sets of fans.

It's worth pushing the boat out if poss to get whatever players are out there and available that are better than what you have in order to make that last push away from the drop zone. In the long run the financial outlay is worth it rather than risking non league obscurity for many years to come. Of course i'm presuming there is money available to facilitate this? If not then Chesterfield FC are in perilous trouble and need battlers and a bit of luck.

The signings for Forest Green would surely see them gradually climbing the table. Reuben Reid vs Zavon Hines. That's the difference in quality but Dale Vince can afford it.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby spireite_uk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Iliketrains wrote:I think when you are in a relegation battle you need to be bringing in players who are either at a club in the same league or ideally above. To take a gamble on a winger to make a big contribution under this pressure and especially a winger who has scored as many goals in 10 years as you might expect from a defender and who has 'done well for Maidstone this year', is risky.

If he's all that's available then perhaps i'm being harsh but i've watched a lot of NL football (i followed one of them up and down the country myself for over 15 years until recently) and if Chesterfield drop they ain't coming back for a very, very long time. In fact clubs with a background history of chaos (York / Torquay etc) tend to plummet further as the rot sets in. I can see that happening to Chesterfield although i don't wish that on any club's sets of fans.

It's worth pushing the boat out if poss to get whatever players are out there and available that are better than what you have in order to make that last push away from the drop zone. In the long run the financial outlay is worth it rather than risking non league obscurity for many years to come. Of course i'm presuming there is money available to facilitate this? If not then Chesterfield FC are in perilous trouble and need battlers and a bit of luck.

The signings for Forest Green would surely see them gradually climbing the table. Reuben Reid vs Zavon Hines. That's the difference in quality but Dale Vince can afford it.

I think you're probably right about most of that. However Dave Allen never wants to dig deep at the best of times, but especially when a sale of the club is pending. I still can't picture us going down though, I trust Jack to keep us up. He has the feel of a good manager about him, he just needs to adjust the squad to how he wants and keep working on the fitness side. The squad of player he inherited was absolutely dreadful and badly unfit, also hasn't been helped with a long list of injuries (like 10 at last count). I expect to see a few more comings and goings yet.
spireite_uk
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:32 pm

spireite_uk wrote:
Iliketrains wrote:I think when you are in a relegation battle you need to be bringing in players who are either at a club in the same league or ideally above. To take a gamble on a winger to make a big contribution under this pressure and especially a winger who has scored as many goals in 10 years as you might expect from a defender and who has 'done well for Maidstone this year', is risky.

I think you're probably right about most of that. However Dave Allen never wants to dig deep at the best of times, but especially when a sale of the club is pending. I still can't picture us going down though, I trust Jack to keep us up. He has the feel of a good manager about him, he just needs to adjust the squad to how he wants and keep working on the fitness side. The squad of player he inherited was absolutely dreadful and badly unfit, also hasn't been helped with a long list of injuries (like 10 at last count). I expect to see a few more comings and goings yet.
I understand your and the vast majority of Spireite fans faith in Lester. From what you've experienced in the last few years he is a breath of fresh air. However, we had similar faith in Paul Holland ( although he had less time ) to save us from the drop into non league and look what happened. A lot will depend on how bottom clubs like Forest Green, Barnet, and yourselves invest in this window.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spireite_uk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
spireite_uk wrote:

I understand your and the vast majority of Spireite fans faith in Lester. From what you've experienced in the last few years he is a breath of fresh air. However, we had similar faith in Paul Holland ( although he had less time ) to save us from the drop into non league and look what happened. A lot will depend on how bottom clubs like Forest Green, Barnet, and yourselves invest in this window.

Honestly, I can see other teams being dragged into it. Forest Green are recruiting well, as said. It'll be those clubs like Yeovil and Morecambe who think they might be safe who could end up in the mire. It's about time Morecambe went down, let's be rate.
spireite_uk
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Iliketrains » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:57 pm

I have to admit that when Chesterfield appointed Lester i was convinced that relegation had already been sealed. To put a bloke (never mind ex hero) into a position such as the one Jack faced and having no prior experience was a massive risk. I'm not saying he'll keep the club up but i did have to revise my opinions on him and i think he's doing a job as well as could be reasonably expected under the circumstances.

I know from personal experience though how much of a negative impact that persistent behind the scenes turmoil at a club can have on the playing side of things but you see clubs who bring in X number of new managers and X number of new players and nothing works. It's like the club is gripped completely by a cancer that has taken hold and consumes the place.

At York City they employed Russ Wilcox, Jackie McNamara, Gary Mills and now Martin Gray in the space of about 3 years and the club must have gone through nearly a hundred players in that time yet nothing worked. They are now struggling to get out of National League North and are about 10th in the table. All because the gradual apathy of an owner has infiltrated the club as though apathy and failure seeps out of every wall. Yes i know it sounds over dramatic but it happens. I've seen it and it's happening at Torquay. Identical scenario to York which has been coming for the last 4 or 5 years because nobody has addressed it.

I just get that feeling about Chesterfield given what's gone on the past few seasons with one thing or another. New managers, new players all over the shop, ridiculous off the field stuff going on, unsavoury things too and nothing seems to work out but at least the 'BIG' drop hasn't happened yet and the club have plenty of time to get themselves away from the bottom 2. I certainly wouldn't wish that on Lester.

I don't underestimate the spirit Morecambe have. They are a tight knit club who have also had their problems but Jim Bentley gets a tune out of a squad that is threadbare and they only get over a thousand fans. As we've seen continuously with Accrington, it's not the fanbase that gets you where you need to be it's a combination of everything all pulling together. Morecambe IMO will survive as will FGR. Yeovil are the team i'd fear most for. They are such an unpredictable side and i think they aren't capable of putting a run together. Barnet are down and for me it's between Yeovil and Chesterfield.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:22 pm

1-0 down already :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:33 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:1-0 down already :lol:

I know. Mark Hughes on 19 minutes. I knew he was in trouble at Stoke but didn't expect him to make a footballing comeback at his age! :lol:

Actually it's 2-0 as i type.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby chambta » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:41 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Starting to worry about Chambta now. I hope he’s not unwell.

Ah, I knew you cared really.

Is there any football on today?
chambta
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:54 pm

chambta wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:Starting to worry about Chambta now. I hope he’s not unwell.

Ah, I knew you cared really.

Is there any football on today?

How's that points difference coming along chumpta?

Bottom two as it stands.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:07 pm

3 -0 now.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:11 pm

When is Slack Jester getting the sack? Can't be long before Allen pulls the trigger.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:12 pm

victor A block wrote:When is Slack Jester getting the sack? Can't be long before Allen pulls the trigger.

Hopefully on June 1st.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:19 pm

FGR winning

Reuben Reid. That's the difference between survival and relegation. Reid or Hines? Mmmmm
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:31 pm

Iliketrains wrote:FGR winning

Reuben Reid. That's the difference between survival and relegation. Reid or Hines? Mmmmm
Exactly. And I think the Spireites will sell their main striker and Forest Green will keep theirs.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:32 pm

Haven’t FGR purchased new goalie and centre halves? Luxuries that chesterfield can not afford
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:33 pm

Cheltenham now winning at Colchester, all good.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Morecambe winning too.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Mind the gap.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:43 pm

tibby wrote:Haven’t FGR purchased new goalie and centre halves? Luxuries that chesterfield can not afford

I did highlight that money available at CFC (or not)was potentially an issue in an earlier post. However this doesn't make it any less valid that signing inferior players from lower leagues would potentially concede the advantage to any rivals who are doing the opposite.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Sounds like the new GK had a mare, og and fumbled one for a tap in :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Are ch*****field fc still going?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Mind the gap. :)
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:12 pm

You're doing a fine job agent Jack ;)
BoughtonStag71
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum