{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About Chesterfield

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:27 pm

Never played in the second tier since it became a 4 tier structure - they have only played there in the era of 3rd division north and south.
Something I regularly remind the Spireites at work !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:05 pm

A humiliating 4-0 rout at the hands of visiting Oxford United has left Chesterfield staring into the relegation abyss. The defeat, which could have been worse had it not been for some wasteful second half finishing from the U’s, means Town will need at least seven wins from their final 12 games

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport/ ... -1-8411564
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:51 am

How good would it be to swap places with them?!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:32 am

It depends what happens when they go down. Another year of struggle at the wrong end of Lge 2 and gates will fall to around what we are getting atm. Cauldwell I'd imgine will be sacked when they go down leaving them looking for a new boss. They look like another Orient now heading down faster than a Jamaican 4 man bobsleigh team.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:33 am

ParisStag wrote:How good would it be to swap places with them?!

It will be even better when they swap places with Alfreton.

"one keith haslam" indeed
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:13 am

There's one thing that always cheers me up atm if I've had a bad day at work or generally crappy day.

Bob's Board always sends me to bed feeling very :hysteria: :rofl: :hysteria: :rofl: :hysteria:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:50 am

Foxy wrote:
A humiliating 4-0 rout at the hands of visiting Oxford United has left Chesterfield staring into the relegation abyss. The defeat, which could have been worse had it not been for some wasteful second half finishing from the U’s, means Town will need at least seven wins from their final 12 games

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport/ ... -1-8411564

I hate it how they call themselves 'Town'.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:27 am

Ashley Carson has published the following open message to fans to provide an update:

I had a meeting yesterday with Dave Allen, which was also attended by Gary Caldwell. This was Dave’s first meeting with Gary and he questioned him on players and formations etc.

Dave pulled no punches and asked Gary on his thoughts for the rest of the season and which players he would like to retain.

Gary's comments after Saturday’s game were also discussed and I echoed the fans’ views that it was wrong to criticise them. With the benefit of hindsight, Gary accepts that the point he was making could have been worded better. He pointed out that there is currently a major negative feeling at the club, both on and off the pitch. His assessment of the situation is not wrong.

The players are also aware of this negativity and Gary feels that the fans working with him will help improve the situation. He is aware on a match day of all the comments shouted from behind the dug out and they are mostly negative. He was really appealing to you, the fans, to please give everyone a chance and get behind the team. I can assure you that it was never his intention to criticise you.

I spoke to Dave after the meeting and he was very impressed with Gary and also his thoughts and plans for both the remainder of this season and next. Gary has identified some areas behind the scenes where we are lacking - including recruitment - and he wants to rectify this.

Dave outlined the budget for next season for players. Gary is happy with this and is already looking towards next season, whilst being mindful of the wish to maintain our status in League One.

In the past, Dave has put a lot of money into the club in order to sustain and maintain costs. That will no longer be the case in the future, so it therefore has to be a cash neutral budget for the business until such time that a new owner is in place.

Dave and I discussed overheads and all operating costs are currently being looked at. I can tell you that various cost-cutting measures will be introduced at the end of the season to make substantial savings. We must always be mindful that the club has substantial commitments with the stadium mortgage plus loan repayments to ex-directors that totals over £500,000 per annum. This has all got to be factored in to next season's commitments.

Dave has now agreed to meet Gary and I on a monthly basis to discuss the playing side of the club. Whilst Dave does not currently attend matches, I can assure you he is taking a very close eye on the running of the club, as he always has done. Only this week he has covered the shortfall in the running costs of the club.

I will remain in control of the running of the club for the foreseeable future and will keep you informed of developments. I really want to work with you and certainly not against you.

Ashley Carson
Director & Company Secretary
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:35 am

The short version being they are buggered.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:37 am

Showaddywaddy wrote:The short version being they are buggered.

Let's hope Alfreton gain promotion to the Conference, because it'll be a shame for the Spireites to not have a local derby to play when they get there too.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:26 am

Would you rather:

A) Swap places with Chesterfield this year.

or

B) Thrash them twice next year with the second game relegating them and sending us up as Champions.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:29 am

Foxy wrote:Would you rather:

A) Swap places with Chesterfield this year.

or

B) Thrash them twice next year with the second game relegating them and sending us up as Champions.

B) also going up thrashing snotts and stinky lincy :D
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Admiral Sook » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:40 am

If Carlsberg did Director & Company Secretary statements... :lol:
Admiral Sook
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby 1966Stag » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:56 am

This really does get better and better.

We have a fantastic chairman, top manager and a squad that is improving rapidly, our 2 local rivals are both fighting relegation with poor foundations to mount any sort of fightback.

Beginning to wonder whether the Spireites are right that the Sheffield club rivalry is as big as ours because those Sheffield boys are really determined to absolutely destroy the club.
The only thing they have left is there huge loyal fan base that sticks with them through thick and thin, now just remind me what were there attendances like at saltergate?

Would be nice to hear from Chambta to get some reassurance that everything will turn out okay still
1966Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:15 pm

the statement is full of contradictions -

the club is to be run at a revenue neutral rate, yet the overheads and the revenue shortfalls will be plugged?

substantial cost savings will be made - How?

Playing budget agreed for next season - I assume this is for a L2 survival campaign.

their chairman is in a tight old spot; keep putting the loans in to avoid administration, but this will need to be paid back, making the club less and less attractive to future investors, OR, pull the life support machine funding and allow the administrators to go in, and probably lose money in the process.

Either way, with relegation and a a long summer of no weekly revenues coming in, will mean a much reduced playing budget and back room staff.

The current they are swimming against is getting stronger and deeper. I expect this situation to have repercussions for years to come.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:37 pm

stagmanrob wrote:Ashley Carson has published the following open message to fans to provide an update:

I had a meeting yesterday with Dave Allen, which was also attended by Gary Caldwell. This was Dave’s first meeting with Gary and he questioned him on players and formations etc.

Dave pulled no punches and asked Gary on his thoughts for the rest of the season and which players he would like to retain.

Gary's comments after Saturday’s game were also discussed and I echoed the fans’ views that it was wrong to criticise them. With the benefit of hindsight, Gary accepts that the point he was making could have been worded better. He pointed out that there is currently a major negative feeling at the club, both on and off the pitch. His assessment of the situation is not wrong.

The players are also aware of this negativity and Gary feels that the fans working with him will help improve the situation. He is aware on a match day of all the comments shouted from behind the dug out and they are mostly negative. He was really appealing to you, the fans, to please give everyone a chance and get behind the team. I can assure you that it was never his intention to criticise you.

I spoke to Dave after the meeting and he was very impressed with Gary and also his thoughts and plans for both the remainder of this season and next. Gary has identified some areas behind the scenes where we are lacking - including recruitment - and he wants to rectify this.

Dave outlined the budget for next season for players. Gary is happy with this and is already looking towards next season, whilst being mindful of the wish to maintain our status in League One.

In the past, Dave has put a lot of money into the club in order to sustain and maintain costs. That will no longer be the case in the future, so it therefore has to be a cash neutral budget for the business until such time that a new owner is in place.

Dave and I discussed overheads and all operating costs are currently being looked at. I can tell you that various cost-cutting measures will be introduced at the end of the season to make substantial savings. We must always be mindful that the club has substantial commitments with the stadium mortgage plus loan repayments to ex-directors that totals over £500,000 per annum. This has all got to be factored in to next season's commitments.

Dave has now agreed to meet Gary and I on a monthly basis to discuss the playing side of the club. Whilst Dave does not currently attend matches, I can assure you he is taking a very close eye on the running of the club, as he always has done. Only this week he has covered the shortfall in the running costs of the club.

I will remain in control of the running of the club for the foreseeable future and will keep you informed of developments. I really want to work with you and certainly not against you.

Ashley Carson
Director & Company Secretary

Wow. That was a very interesting read.

Make absolutely no bones about it - Chesterfield are in a LOT of trouble and this statement is testament to that.

It's full of contradictions, and really points to the fact that, long term, they are very much planning for League Two (and possibly lower than that)

£500,000 owed per annum to former directors - Jesus. That was close to Accrington Stanley's entire wage budget last season, it's a huge chunk of revenue down the spout before their season has even begun and is completely unsustainable with the higher TV revenues of League One, let alone League Two/Conference.

Dave Allen is currently plugging some major holes... he won't continue to do so for too much longer. All this talk of being 'budget neutral' is pie in the sky, it will be interesting to see how they plan to achieve that whilst remaining competitive on the pitch, which I truly don't believe is possible. Right now, they are haemorrhaging money from every orifice.

One can only assume that they intend to cut some of their costs by drastically reducing the wage bill. Their squad isn't exactly filled with superstars as it is lets be frank here, but this would mean shipping pretty much the whole lot and recruiting youth/Conference players. It will also have a knock on effect on staff.

Allen is demanding a (ridiculous) £15 million for a club that is, lets be honest, in one of the least desirable positions in one of the least desirable towns in the whole of the UK. Every single day he is still at their club is a day closer to their doom.

They owe millions (Some suggest £10 million) to HMRC amongst others. Allen has already said he will not pay... who is going to take on the club with these substantial debts? Even if Allen's £15 million asking price includes these, no one in their right mind is going to take them on in their current position, on and off the field.

I'd hate to see any club (including 'them') go under, but they are in deep doo doo.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Hahahahahaha ...dribble...hahahahahaha.....bit of wee........hahahahahahaha.....one Keith Haslam.........hahahahahaha.

I have every sympathy for them and really hope they don't end up in the Conference, said no Stags fan ever.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:07 pm

They'll be playing AFC Mansfield rather than us soon ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:53 pm

http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.p ... try1285093

The guy who was apparently going to save them from their impending relegation has done a great job of winning over the fans :lol:
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Poor wee lambs
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:13 pm

They have announced next year's season ticket prices

£365 early bird
£460 full price

Who in their right mind would be prepared to hand over that sort of money now, to a business in absolute financial crisis.

"One Keith Haslam"????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby whipster221073 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Very interesting read and would be mildly amusing if not for 2 things.
1) the people who will be affected the most are the men and women who work behind the scenes in the offices, in the club shop or are paid stewards / programme sellers etc. The players will simply move on to their next payday having not performed for their current club.
2) the administration route is a viable option for them but if and when they go down that route it could determine their whole existence. I believe that if they enter administration after relegation has been confirmed, that the points deduction would apply to the following season. This would put them needing snookers before they even kick off. However it would wipe clear all of their debts. Going into admin after the season had kicked off would be even worse for them as they wouldn't be able to recover quickly enough.

Let's be honest;
£10k per week on a stadium mortgage.
Wage Budgets
Staffing Budget
Policing Costs
Reduced attendances

They most definitely won't be at break even next season.

However, they always seem to come up smelling of roses. Let's hope that changes just this once.
MTFC not AFC
whipster221073
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:43 pm

Anyone who watched the direites highlights of their 0-4 thumping without laughing in hysteria will probably deduce that John Radford not only pays all our players but also one of theirs.

Their captain , whose raspberry name eludes me, was more or less directly responsible for all 4 goals .

Agent infiltration of the highest order .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Bury and Oldham winning. 11 points from safety as it stands.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:20 pm

victor A block wrote:Anyone who watched the direites highlights of their 0-4 thumping without laughing in hysteria will probably deduce that John Radford not only pays all our players but also one of theirs.

Their captain , whose raspberry name eludes me, was more or less directly responsible for all 4 goals .

Agent infiltration of the highest order .

Evatt isn't it?
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum