{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Strikers

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:39 am

Stags 2002 wrote:Good night then, lets hope Lincoln get giddy dreaming of Wembley and take their eye off the league.

Also means Lincoln v Wycombe is postponed and therefore a bit more fixture congestion.

Apart from Accy winning.A draw would have been better.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 am

I was SO hoping that Chelsea U23s would reach the final of the B Team Trophy.

Fair play to Lincoln though. Danny Cowley met the 617 Squadron to find out why they were boycotting the Checkatrade games and Lincoln have agreed to vote against U23s entering the competition the next time it is up for the vote if that is what the fans want.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3483
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:09 pm

Clearly its not what the fans want as 9 thousand odd turned up to see them play a bunch of kids.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I was SO hoping that Chelsea U23s would reach the final of the B Team Trophy.

Fair play to Lincoln though. Danny Cowley met the 617 Squadron to find out why they were boycotting the Checkatrade games and Lincoln have agreed to vote against U23s entering the competition the next time it is up for the vote if that is what the fans want.

Really. I was hoping we were going to win it. A day out at Wembley and a bit of a rest for JR putting his hands in his pocket.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:24 pm

We need to kick the U23s out as they have no place in the competition. It is just the EFL begging for crumbs from the Premier League table. The stockpiling and hoarding Premier League clubs and their glory seeking plastic fans could not care less about Leagues 1 and 2.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3483
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:12 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We need to kick the U23s out as they have no place in the competition. It is just the EFL begging for crumbs from the Premier League table. The stockpiling and hoarding Premier League clubs and their glory seeking plastic fans could not care less about Leagues 1 and 2.
It works both ways, as I have no interest in the Premier League.

I do however have fond memories of this cup competition and the day at Wembley. I envy Lincoln their day out at Wembley and all the riches it brings. Doesn't really matter to me the format of the competion. It's the prize at the end that counts.

And before anyone says would you sacrifice promotion for a day at Wembley? No of course I wouldn't and neither would Lincoln or the rest who have a chance of going up. But what if Lincoln get promoted as well as their day at Wembley ? They would certainly have resources to give themselves a good start in League 1.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:31 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We need to kick the U23s out as they have no place in the competition. It is just the EFL begging for crumbs from the Premier League table. The stockpiling and hoarding Premier League clubs and their glory seeking plastic fans could not care less about Leagues 1 and 2.
It works both ways, as I have no interest in the Premier League.

I do however have fond memories of this cup competition and the day at Wembley. I envy Lincoln their day out at Wembley and all the riches it brings. Doesn't really matter to me the format of the competion. It's the prize at the end that counts.

And before anyone says would you sacrifice promotion for a day at Wembley? No of course I wouldn't and neither would Lincoln or the rest who have a chance of going up. But what if Lincoln get promoted as well as their day at Wembley ? They would certainly have resources to give themselves a good start in League 1.


I absolutely agree with you Andy, as would JR. This is a massive, massive boost for Lincoln, the club and the city, would have done the same for Mansfield.
User avatar
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3401
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Old timer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:48 pm

We were unlucky at Blackpool and only went out on penalties. I think if we had got past them then we may then have taken the competition more seriously in the later stages and had a better go at the big prize. Promotion is the priority though but the sideshow would have been nice for the clubs coffers.
Old timer
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:07 pm

Amber Andy wrote: I do however have fond memories of this cup competition and the day at Wembley.


That's the problem though Andy. It is not the same Cup Competition that we won. It has been polluted and contaminated by allowing B Teams into it.

Would you be keen to go to Wembley to watch the Stags play Bournemouth's U23s in the final? Would you regard it the same as watching the Stags beating Bristol City in the Freight Rover Cup Final?

Would you be happy with the League Cup or the FA Cup if they allowed B Teams to enter the competition?

My preferred solution in any event is to throw the Premier League clubs out of the League Cup and have a proper EFL League Cup for all the teams who are in the League i.e. Championship, League 1 and League 2.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3483
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Amber Andy wrote: I do however have fond memories of this cup competition and the day at Wembley.


That's the problem though Andy. It is not the same Cup Competition that we won. It has been polluted and contaminated by allowing B Teams into it.

Would you be keen to go to Wembley to watch the Stags play Bournemouth's U23s in the final? Would you regard it the same as watching the Stags beating Bristol City in the Freight Rover Cup Final?

Would you be happy with the League Cup or the FA Cup if they allowed B Teams to enter the competition?

My preferred solution in any event is to throw the Premier League clubs out of the League Cup and have a proper EFL League Cup for all the teams who are in the League i.e. Championship, League 1 and League 2.
Yes it is the same competition that we won. In that it still contains League 1 and League 2 sides. And I would go to watch Stags play anybody at Wembley in a cup final. As I did when we played Darlington in the FA Trophey final. Very poor game and we were pants but I enjoyed the experience because it has only happened twice in the 50 plus years I have followed the Stags.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 pm

.......but it also includes B Teams so it is not the same competition.

Would you regard the FA Cup or League Cup as being the same competition if it included B Teams?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3483
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:26 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:.......but it also includes B Teams so it is not the same competition.

Would you regard the FA Cup or League Cup as being the same competition if it included B Teams?

If we by some miracle got to either of those finals, I would not give it a second thought that the Premier League or Championship teams played weakened sides. That is their prerogative.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Conker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:15 am

This Trophy does not have any credibility left due to the fact Chelsea U23 can play in it.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby adamstag » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:20 am

I was delighted when we were knocked out at blackpool and I stand by that stance now.

Even the fa trophy (the farce that it was) was and is worth more than this "thing" if Lincoln want to sell their soul then so be it, but no thanks, and no thanks again.

I'm concerned that some fans are having their heads turned and missing the bigger picture here.
adamstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5425
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:32 am

Let’s just get out of league two, take that ever day of the week
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6884
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby london amber stag » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Agree Yorkshire.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
User avatar
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: Bromley Kent

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:21 pm

Conker wrote:This Trophy does not have any credibility left due to the fact Chelsea U23 can play in it.

If these academy sides had replaced league 1 or league 2 sides, then I could understand your point of view. But they are an addition not a replacement. So I don't see how the competition has been devalued.

Also just because we aren't in the final and Lincoln are, doesn't necessarily mean we have more chance of being promoted.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:40 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:This Trophy does not have any credibility left due to the fact Chelsea U23 can play in it.

If these academy sides had replaced league 1 or league 2 sides, then I could understand your point of view. But they are an addition not a replacement. So I don't see how the competition has been devalued.

Also just because we aren't in the final and Lincoln are, doesn't necessarily mean we have more chance of being promoted.


Of course it is a devaluation. They’re equating L1 and 2 to Premier League junior sides. It’s condescending.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 10761
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:57 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:This Trophy does not have any credibility left due to the fact Chelsea U23 can play in it.

If these academy sides had replaced league 1 or league 2 sides, then I could understand your point of view. But they are an addition not a replacement. So I don't see how the competition has been devalued.

Also just because we aren't in the final and Lincoln are, doesn't necessarily mean we have more chance of being promoted.


Of course it is a devaluation. They’re equating L1 and 2 to Premier League junior sides. It’s condescending.
It can't be if league 1 and 2 sides are still in the competition
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Checkatrade or whatever its called is not for me, professional clubs don't play competitive games against academy sides, we don't even do it in friendlies. Premier sides wouldn't be asked to and would give the proposer short shrift. Imagine Mourinho's response to having to play against our reserves in a competitive game. It's opening the gate for them to join the football pyramid. I want us to win games and want the club to generate money from winning, and respect others views/decisions, but it's not for me - regardless of where it takes us/how far we get.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
User avatar
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3056
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:48 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Big yella » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:This Trophy does not have any credibility left due to the fact Chelsea U23 can play in it.

If these academy sides had replaced league 1 or league 2 sides, then I could understand your point of view. But they are an addition not a replacement. So I don't see how the competition has been devalued.

Also just because we aren't in the final and Lincoln are, doesn't necessarily mean we have more chance of being promoted.


Of course it is a devaluation. They’re equating L1 and 2 to Premier League junior sides. It’s condescending.
It can't be if league 1 and 2 sides are still in the competition

Good to know you think we're only good enough to play Chelskis kids, well the ones they don't think are good enough to go out on loan that is.
Who needs a Dutchman, when we've got Holland.
User avatar
Big yella
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3245
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Forest Town

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby oldnic » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:16 pm

I agree that the feel and romance of this cup has been diluted. Shirebrook alone took over a dozen bus, s to Wembley for the Bristol city game. Its in our history. Remember the miserable night at Chester for the second leg. Would we go now, no.
oldnic
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:41 am

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:31 pm

How much longer before they just scrap it?
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby Conker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:31 pm

It doesn’t matter if it replaced league teams or not, chucking acadamy teams in obviously, clear as day ruins any credibility the trophy had.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Stri

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:This Trophy does not have any credibility left due to the fact Chelsea U23 can play in it.

If these academy sides had replaced league 1 or league 2 sides, then I could understand your point of view. But they are an addition not a replacement. So I don't see how the competition has been devalued.

Also just because we aren't in the final and Lincoln are, doesn't necessarily mean we have more chance of being promoted.


Of course it is a devaluation. They’re equating L1 and 2 to Premier League junior sides. It’s condescending.
It can't be if league 1 and 2 sides are still in the competition


Eh ? What on earth are you blathering about ?

Try to be more coherent. There’s a good chap.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 10761
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4dstag, bobbystagsfan, Chris M, EdwinstoweStag, Hjeldefan, Spiritater, West Ham 1969 and 28 guests