{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Results v Entertainment

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Results v Entertainment

Postby daddycool » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:42 am

I though the manager was changed because of fans pressure due to style of play and not winning, We have changed both ,good to watch but still not winning .But after only a few games i think it is unfare to question it. Is there a alternative? I dont think there is .
Unless you are in the coxie would have pulled it round brigade then its undebateable
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:31 am

Paris,look at the average attendances while cox was in charge,ofcourse it matters how you win,thats the point im making,over the last season just like many others ive left games that we have won feeling like ive been bored to death,the attendances havent improved throughout this period either other than the few big gates just prior to our promotion back to the league.yes,id agree that football supporters in general are fickle but i dont agree with you when you say that if you dont support the stags for whatever your "right"reasons are that your not a true fan??anyways,its my opinion that with adam murrays approach we are more likely to acheive the sort of success that will have the stadium filling up rather than emptying and as his team gels and improves theres more likelyhood that his approach to the game will bring the missing floaters back,last time we tried this we were promoted from the fourth division,lawrence,disley,williamson etc,check the average attendance that season,its far to soon to panic regardless of where we sit in the league and its definately a no to the return of the mind numbing dross that cox served up.
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Think we should not overdose on the defensive errors, these are going to happen again and again, its part of the game, you hope u don't have too many but in reality train all day every day and sometimes somebody will always make and error.

Lets hope those that did them have learned a bit and we can reduce.

We all feel better with Murray at the helm and think the results should pick up but if they don't then I think we can say the best man available in JR's eyes was picked as Ronnie Moore lost big Saturday.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:52 pm

Sneag wrote:I want my cake and l want to eat it.

We've had 3 years of good results (mostly) and I've been bored out of my skull for most of it.

Definitely this. What we eventually had under Cox was bad results and bad performances - a combination of the two = the sack. Once results started to suffer his time here was up. Had we been entertaining with the same results, Cox would still be here now.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Rob wrote:

We've had 3 years of good results (mostly) and I've been bored out of my skull for most of it.

Definitely this. What we eventually had under Cox was bad results and bad performances - a combination of the two = the sack. Once results started to suffer his time here was up. Had we been entertaining with the same results, Cox would still be here now.

I believe not. The boo boys would have battered him no matter what the style. It wasn't HOOF when we went down in 07/08, we tried to play, we had bad refs, we were unlucky. Unless you are producing results you are on a tightrope. Folk will not continually go home happy if they've seen some passes like Barcelona but ultimately come 4.50pm we've nothing to show for it.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:28 pm

If we were top of the league Cox would be here now hoofball or not
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:59 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Think we should not overdose on the defensive errors, these are going to happen again and again, its part of the game, you hope u don't have too many but in reality train all day every day and sometimes somebody will always make and error.

Lets hope those that did them have learned a bit and we can reduce.

We all feel better with Murray at the helm and think the results should pick up but if they don't then I think we can say the best man available in JR's eyes was picked as Ronnie Moore lost big Saturday.

Very true about the defensive errors. Let's be honest pretty much every goal scored is down to a defensive error of some degree
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Rob wrote:

I believe not. The boo boys would have battered him no matter what the style. It wasn't HOOF when we went down in 07/08, we tried to play, we had bad refs, we were unlucky. Unless you are producing results you are on a tightrope. Folk will not continually go home happy if they've seen some passes like Barcelona but ultimately come 4.50pm we've nothing to show for it.

In 07/08 the managers didn't get anything like the stick Cox had, far from it. That was in part down to the football but also down to the fact they were working under Haslam - most reasonable fans knew what was going on. Cox had the massive wage budget yet despite the joys of getting us out of the Conference once in the league abjectly failed to change style, which I have no doubt ultimately lead to his downfall - managers have had much worse results than Cox had and remained in post. Had he changed style, many (me included) would have been much more patient. If you think his style of football had nothing to do with his departure then you are very much mistaken Spiro.

Mansfield Town have generally been rubbish for 100 years yet despite having poor results, fans still go - why is that, to be bored out of their skull? It's a balance and I am afraid your mate got the balance wrong, failing to register a shot on target is the road to the sack if ever there was one!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:36 am

IMO with the squad we have now, playing good football will have us winning more games than we were under Cox. Since the new set of players have come in, we have put 2 decent performances in, both in which we deserved more from IMO. Not bad considering we've chucked 5/6 new players straight into the starting 11. I can't see there being another game this season where that many chances get cleared of the line, the results will come.

I do think our fans at home games need to step up though, Field Mill needs to feel like a positive place for them to play football.. Clements was announced MOTM at the weekend and you could hear Boo's. Fair enough he wasn't my choice either but he hardly had a shocker.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:42 am

I use the ROKO gym in Nottingham next to the Florist training ground. This week I shared the jacuzzi with Andy Reid and Dexter Blackstock. I asked Reid when he would be back and he said a couple of weeks. Next day he's had a groin op and out for six weeks. DB asked how Dimi had fared in goal. Told him about the Wimbledon game. He said he was recalled as Darlo had slight injury. Reid asked about Adam Murray. I said most had faith in him and that it was a bit like pre-season in real time with all the new players. I mentioned that PC got us out of the Conference but we were playing dire football now. Andy said winning comes first and style second. Winning with style is a bonus.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:33 pm

He don't have to pay to watch it though
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:40 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:He don't have to pay to watch it though

Exactly, plus pro footballers have a completely different mentality to fans.

I think fans recognise those rare players that are a football fan living the dream. Gary Tallon a classic example.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby dave E stag » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:55 pm

As a season ticket holder for 30 years, this season I had not purchased one because I could not stomach the absolute cox garbage anymore. This season I have stayed away until the Exeter game, I thought i would have a look at only 7 quid.....cannot wait until Saturday now and am praying it is not off. I will be forking out 22 pound for this game....enough said.
dave E stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Richmond Stag » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:02 pm

Rob wrote:

Rob - he wasn't sacked.
Richmond Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby el ciervo amarillo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:26 pm

I left Mansfield when I got married in 1973. I worked for charities that couldn't pay proper wages for a long time so I couldn't afford the time or money to travel to matches very often. In 1998 I decided to give myself a birthday treat and went to a Friday night match at the mill. We won 5-0. I was pleased by the result and impressed by the style of play. I have attended regularly ever since.

Results or entertainment? I relate to a football match at a number of levels. There is the game itself. I go with the hope that I will see skill: quality passing, incisive tackling, sharp interception, vision, agility, courageous blocks and stunning saves. I like it best when my team provide the lion’s share of those features. What entertains me above all else is the scoring of goals. Goals are like favourite foods, I like them a lot but that doesn't lead to the notion of, 'the more the better'. I would love to see us win ten nil but not every game. Getting beaten sometimes is a necessary component of the next element of the entertainment; suspense. Knowing we could be beaten is what makes winning so good.

Still thinking about being at the match; the crowd, and especially the people around me, add to the enjoyment. An inadequate match can still be fun with banter or intelligent analysis.

Of course the match itself takes up about one percent of my week; most of the football derived entertainment exists outside the confines of a football stadium. Going over the match in my mind, delighting in the skill, thinking about the 'if only' moments. A drab defensive display rarely comes to mind after the event. Then there is the sharing of that reflection, reading match reports and discussing the game with others. Similar but different is the conversation at work or in the pub with supporters of other clubs. If we are winning a lot then those conversations are more fun.
Finally there is that point in the week when analysis of the past game melds into anticipation of the next. What don't I ever daydream about? Going to a match where my team play negative, cautious, cynical, safety first football against another team that are no more than their equals in skill and ability. Yesterday I watched a goalless draw. I would have preferred a win but I was watching the sort of performance I was happy to pay for. Last season I sometimes watched us win but went home wondering why I bothered.
el ciervo amarillo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:57 pm

RESULTS please ASAP ;)
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:59 pm

Kirkby knows best.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:31 pm

If we need 52 points to stay up, we need 24 points from our 19 games, so either

PLD.........W...........D...........L.........PTS.....

:coys: :mansfield_till_i_die:

4 out of 6 Home games in February, time to STEP UP :D

:head ball: :head ball: :head ball: :head ball: :head ball: :head ball: :head ball: :head ball: :head ball: :head ball: :head ball: :head ball: :head ball: :head ball:

KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby nigegray » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:39 pm

results at the moment 100%
I think by looking at the table after sats games seeing us in bottom two
will be the kick up the backside we need.
nigegray
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby AlanStag » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:21 pm

It's been a really strange few months since Cox left and given the results I'm questioning whether I should have stuck to my guns in my opinions on how we should move ahead. Either way I am always fully supportive of whoever is in charge and whoever is playing on a match day, however on here questions can be raised and discussed.

During Cox's reign here as manager when defending the decision to keep him here I always pointed out the sparse options in replacing him and Radford's previous actions always pointed to Murray being appointed. After Cox did decide to leave I bought into what Murray was trying to do and I still do as I feel that in the long-term it is better for the club. However where Cox was very cautious Murray has been incredibly naive in some of his management I feel, which was always the worry with his inexperience. We've developed a soft underbelly and just can't do the basics in games, after Carlisle scored their second Saturday I knew it was game over.

Another point is this transfer window. Last January there was a few posts on here calling for a clearout as it was evident the squad at that time was not of a good standard for the money invested. I and many argued how disruptive and detrimental such a radical change could be during the season, we ended up signing absolutely no one and staying up comfortably. This season we've been one of the most active in the window probably in Europe which for me goes down as a substantial risk. To expect to sign almost an entirely new starting eleven half way into the season and not to have any issues is incredibly naive IMO, there's 3 points to play for every week.

Although I have pointed out the almighty risk we've taken this season I do think that should it work out, the return will be excellent. If we stay up I think given time to build over the summer and start to integrate youth into the side we will be challenging up the top end within 2 seasons, the potential for the side is massive. But right now were playing Russian Roulette to arrive at that outcome, if we go down it's well and truly game over.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:29 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:RESULTS please ASAP ;)

WELL DONE STAGS :D

:mansfield_till_i_die:

KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:34 pm

Football is a results based business

That is all
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:27 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:Football is a results based business

That is all

But is also there to entertain the paying public.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby thon » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:31 pm

That is all

Only to the hardcore - which will be enough to sustain the club, but won't make it successful.
thon

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:04 pm

thon wrote:

That is all

Only to the hardcore - which will be enough to sustain the club, but won't make it successful.

If we get result after result after result, and success with it for a sustained period folk will come.
Folk love to support a winning team no matter how the football is played.
To seriously beleive that just 'the hardcore' only will turn up if we get success without 'pretty' footy is just silly thon
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum