STAGS SIGN JOHN McCOMBE
Stags sign experienced defender
mansfieldtown.net 1st June 2013
We are delighted to announce the signing of experienced centre half John McCombe from Port Vale on a free transfer.
Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/stags-sign-experienced-defender-851728.aspx#5oKHsrfFApeiSlUw.99
The 28-year-old was a key figure in the Valiants promotion to League One last season, making 37 appearances.
McCombe made over 200 appearances for the Vale Park outfit after previously enjoying spells with Huddersfield Town and Hereford United, respectively.
After putting pen to paper, the 6 ft 2 defender said: "Hopefully we can kick on from the players' achievements last season and have another good year. I've had quite a bit of interest this summer [from other clubs], but after speaking to Paul (Cox) and the rest of the staff, it seems like this club is heading in the right direction.
"I'm a centre half who gives 100% and I'll be giving everything now for Mansfield," he added.
Manager Paul Cox said: "We've signed an accomplished centre half in John who already has promotions on his CV. He is a commanding player who will add knowledge and experience to our defence."
His contract will commence on 01 July 2013.
Hear more from John on Monday in his first interview exclusively for mansfieldtown.net
McCombe relishing Stags challenge
mansfieldtown.net 5th June 2013
New signing John McCombe has stated that he believes Mansfield Town are a club heading in the right direction.
John McCombe is speaking to Mark Stevenson
video at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/mccombe-relishing-stags-challenge-856091.aspx?#QWetVhbd6StvocB9.99
The towering defender signed for us last weekend, only days after his release from Port Vale - for whom he featured for on 37 occasions during the Valiants' promotion-winning 2012/13 campaign.
He said: "I've met the management staff and I've had a look around the training facilities. It all looks very good.
"I've had quite a lot of interest in me this summer [from other clubs] and a few good offers, but having spoken to Paul [Cox], this seems to be a club that is heading in the right direction.
“I know ‘Sutts’ [Ritchie Sutton] from my time at Port Vale, and I spoke to him before I made the move here. He gave the club a glowing reference, so that influenced my decision.”
The 28-year-old continued: "At Port Vale, we were always challenging for promotion, so I probably wouldn't have signed for Mansfield if I didn't think that we could challenge for promotion.
"Hopefully, we'll have a good season in League Two. It’s a hard division, where the players are fitter and stronger, so we’ll have to step up.”
McCombe's move to One Call Stadium brings to an end a five-year stay at Port Vale, where he was a highly popular figure.
The Yorkshireman made over 200 appearances for the Vale Park outfit between 2008 and 2013, and was on the scoresheet on no fewer than 16 occasions.
The defender explained the reasons for his departure from Vale Park.
"At the end of the season, I had a chat with the gaffer [Mickey Adams] and we decided that it was probably in the best interests for both of us if I moved somewhere else," continued the centre-back.
"A main factor [in leaving Port Vale] was that I live in Huddersfield. I also have a young family and with me getting married this summer, I thought it'd be better if I could spend more time at home.
"My dad has been quite ill during the last few years, so that was probably the main factor in the move."
McCombe exits Port Vale, quartet sign deals
31 May 2013
Defender John McCombe has left Port Vale by mutual consent while four players have extended their contracts.
The 28-year-old centre-half, who made 206 appearances for Vale since joining from Hereford in 2008, has been linked with a move to newly-promoted Mansfield.
Manager Micky Adams told the club website: "John has been a model professional during his five years with Port Vale and it is with reluctance that we let him go.
"John leaves us on a high after helping us achieve promotion last season.
"He will be missed not only on the pitch but also in the changing room, where he has been a pivotal part of the squad.
"I am certain that all Port Vale fans will join me in wishing him well."
“@LeeBlakeman: John McCombe leaves Port #Vale by mutual consent. We understand he's heading to Mansfield”
Transfer news: Mansfield keen to bring John McCombe on board
31 May 2013
Sky Sports understands that League Two new boys Mansfield Town are lining up an approach for John McCombe.
The 28-year-old is available as a free agent after leaving Port Vale.
McCombe is ready to take on a new challenge after five years with Vale, during which time he made over 200 appearances for the club.
He has vast experience of life in the fourth tier and helped Vale to promotion in 2012/13.
Mansfield feel he would be a useful addition to their ranks as they prepare to step back up into the Football League after a five-year absence.
Latest | June 2013