O`NEILL JOINS CHAMPIONSHIP BURNLEY
O'Neill completes Burnley switch
mansfieldtown.net, Fri 15 Jun 2012
Right back Luke O'Neill has completed his move to Championship outfit Burnley for an undisclosed fee.The 20-year-old agreed personal terms with the Clarets earlier today and has signed a two year deal.
On the transfer, Manager Paul Cox said: "It's a very good deal for the football club.
"The Chairman (John Radford) has given the go ahead for the money received to be used to strengthen the squad."
He added: "Luke's time with us saw him develop into a fine young footballer. He has time on his side to play at the highest level and I'll be following his progress with interest."
Clarets complete O'Neill capture
Friday 15th June 2012
YOUNG right back Luke O'Neill has become Burnley's first summer signing, after completing his move from Mansfield Town.
The 21-year-old prospect was the subject of interest from a number of Championship clubs after helping the Stags reach the Blue Square Premier play-offs, but has put pen to paper on a two-year deal with the Clarets.
An England youth international, O'Neill is expected to start out as an understudy to player of the season Kieran Trippier.
Manager Eddie Howe is looking to build for the future, and believes he will provide excellent competition along the back line.
"I am delighted to welcome Luke to Turf Moor. As a manager you always want players snapping at the heels of those wearing the shirts. To do that we need to build a squad," said the Burnley boss.
"To be successful you need that strength in depth and Luke is a welcome addition.
"He is in the attacking mould and likes to get forward. He has a lot of assists to his name and although he prefers right-back, he can play in a variety of positions across the back."
O'Neill began his career in Leicester City's Academy, going on to make three senior appearances for the Foxes, as well as gaining Football League experience with a loan spell at Tranmere Rovers in 2010.
Following a three-month spell with Kettering Town, the Slough-born defender then joined Mansfield last August and started all but three games as the Stags reached the Blue Square Premier play-offs
O'Neill joins Burnley on a two-year deal
Saturday, June 16, 2012 Nottingham Post
Burnley have completed the signing of Mansfield Town defender Luke O'Neill on a two-year deal
Stags manager Paul Cox said: "It's a very good deal for the football club. The chairman has given the go ahead for the money received to be used to strengthen the squad.
"Luke's time with us saw him develop into a fine young footballer.
"He has time on his side to play at the highest level and I'll be following his progress with interest."
Much travelled striker Jefferson Louis, 33, has signed for Blue Square Bet Premier side Newport.
The former Stags man scored six goals in 14 appearances for Lincoln last season.
Meanwhile Danny Sleath, who started his career at Mansfield, has joined Nuneaton from Boston United.
Sleath, who also had spells with Eastwood and Ilkeston, joined Boston in 2009 following a successful loan spell.
Former Forest striker Alan Buckley has re-joined Grimsby as manager of the U17 side.
Central defender Adie Hawes has left Alfreton to join Worksop Town.
Former Notts County goalkeeper Mike Pollitt, 40, has signed a new one-year deal with Wigan. Pollitt was Wigan's first Premier League signing in 2005
O'Neill excited for new chapter
Luke O'Neill is relishing turning out for Championship side Burnley following his switch from Mansfield Town.
The 20-year-old defender joined the Clarets on a two-year deal last week.
"I'm over the moon now it's done. I can't wait to get started," O'Neill told Press Association Sport.
"There was a rumour that a few other clubs were sniffing but once I met up with Eddie and went down to the training ground I knew that I wanted to come to Burnley.
"The manager came to watch me, which is always good to know because not all of them come down.
"He said he really wanted to work with me and that reassured me, and I can't wait to work with him."
12 June 2012
Stags accept offer from Burnley for Luke O'Neill, Paul Cox confirms from today's press meeting.
O'Neill in talks with Burnley
mansfieldtown.net, Tue 12 Jun 2012
Luke O'Neill is in contract discussions with Burnley after Paul Cox accepted a fee for the defender, the manager confirmed today.Cox is resigned to losing the 20-year-old, but says that the fee received from his sale will be used to strengthen the squad.
Speaking at this morning's press meeting at One Call Stadium, the manager said: "Luke will be leaving. Yesterday, an offer was accepted from Burnley.
"A lot of people will see it as 'we should be keeping our best players,' but unless you're Manchester United, Barcelona or Real Madrid, you're a selling club.
"The offer [received[ matched our value of Luke and the Chairman [John Radford] has said that the money we receive can be used to spend on players.
"It's a move that will suit all parties. We will have a decent fee and Burnley will have a good player," he added.
O'Neill made 44 league appearances in an impressive debut season with us last term
Mansfield Town accept offer for Luke O'Neill from Burnley
chad.co.uk Tuesday 12 June 2012
STAGS defender Luke O'Neill is in contract discussions with Burnley after Paul Cox accepted a fee for the former Leicester City right back, the club has confirmed.
Cox is resigned to losing the 20-year-old, but says that the fee received from his sale will be used to strengthen the squad.
Speaking at a press meeting today, the Stags' boss said: “Luke will be leaving. An offer was accepted from Burnley.
“A lot of people will see it as 'we should be keeping our best players,' but unless you're Manchester United, Barcelona or Real Madrid, you're a selling club.
“The offer [received] matched our value of Luke and the Chairman (John Radford) has said that the money we receive can be used to spend on players.
“It's a move that will suit all parties. We will have a decent fee and Burnley will have a good player,” he added.
O'Neill made 44 league appearances in an impressive debut season with us last term.
Meanwhile, Cox revealed that four of Mansfield's youth players are set to sign professional deals.
Said Cox: “Things have to be finalised, but I'm looking to take four players into the first team next season.
“We want kids from our area coming through into the senior team. There's nothing better from the supporters' point of view than seeing players in the first team who are home grown.”
The club are likely to reveal the identity of the four players later next week
Clarets agree fee for Stags full-back O'Neill
Wednesday 13th June 2012
By Suzanne Geldard, Burnley FC reporter
BURNLEY have agreed a fee with Mansfield Town for young right back Luke O'Neill, but have not yet made the 20-year-old their first summer signing.
The Stags are understood to have accepted a fee of £200,000 to part with the promising defender, who was previously on Leicester City's books.
The Clarets are now in talks with the defender, who is seen as one for the future at Turf Moor.
Mansfield boss Paul Cox said: “Luke will be leaving. An offer was accepted from Burnley. It's a move that will suit all parties. We will have a decent fee and Burnley will have a good player.”
Latest | June 2012