STAGS SIGN PAUL EDWARDS ON LOAN/EBBSFLEET PREVIEWS
Cox confirms Edwards signing
mansfieldtown.net, Thu 26 Jan 2012
Paul Cox has confirmed the signing of full back Paul Edwards from Fleetwood Town on a one month loan.
The 32-year old has made just eight appearances for the BSBP league leaders since making the switch from Barrow last summer.
An experienced defender, Edwards has over 300 league and non-league games to his name already and was seen as one of Barrow's key players season.
He has previously enjoyed spells with Wrexham, Oldham and Port Vale amongst other clubs.
Reaction to follow from tomorrow's press meeting ahead of our match away to Ebbsfleet this Saturday
video interview with Paul Edwards --->
Mansfield Town sign Paul Edwards and chase Barnes-Homer
bbc.co.uk, Friday 27 January 2012
Mansfield Town have signed Fleetwood left-back Paul Edwards on a one-month loan and are also chasing former Luton Town striker Matthew Barnes-Homer.
Edwards, 32, joined Blue Square Bet Premier leaders Fleetwood in June, but has only played seven games.
And the Stags also hope to bring in Barnes-Homer, 26, who is a free agent after leaving the Hatters in January.
"We are speaking to Matthew but it all depends on pounds and pence," manager Paul Cox told BBC Radio Nottingham.
"We have to think about finances. He is one of the players we are speaking to but there are one or two others as well."
Mansfield Town defender Paul Edwards ready to kick-start season
chad.co.uk, Friday 27 January 2012
NEW Mansfield Town defender Paul Edwards is hoping to kick-start his faltering season by helping Stags close in on the play-off places.
The experienced left-back signed on a loan month deal from Blue Square Premier league leaders Fleetwood Town yesterday and is expected to slot straight into the side for the long trip to Ebbsfleet United.
The 32-year-old, who has played more than 300 Football League and non-league games, was a summer target for Paul Cox before he opted to join the promotion-chasing Cod Army.
But Edwards failed to break into the Fleetwood side following a long-lay off with injury sustained in pre-season and has played just eight times for the high-flyers this season.
Said Edwards: “The move happened really quick but I am delighted to be here. It was very frustrating at Fleetwood not playing games.
“Last season I played 43 games, but I was injured in pre-season and was out for three months. The injury set me back and meant I have been playing catch up with my fitness.
“At the start of the season I thought Mansfield would be up there, they are a dangerous team that have players who can have a go at you. It is a great set up here and a good bunch of lads. I spoke to Mansfield in the summer and now I am finally here.
“I am confident I can do well for the club and, if all goes well, I want to play as many games for Mansfield Town as I can.”
Edwards is likely to slot straight into the side against mid-table Ebbsfleet at the expense of Joe Kendrick, in what he believes will be a tough away day.
Added Edwards: “Ebbsfleet are a tricky team. They have a lot of honest players and it will not be an easy game. Having said that, we are playing well at the moment and there is no reason why we cannot go there and win.”
During his career Manchester-born Edwards has played for Barrow, Wrexham, Blackpool, Port Vale, Oldham Athletic, Swindon Town and Doncaster Rovers.
Stags could extend the loan for a maximum of three months with the agreement of all parties and, if he does well, doubtless the permanent signing of Edwards will be a summer possibility
Stags loan left back Edwards from Fleetwood
chad.co.uk, Thursday 26 January 2012
MANSFIELD Town added another quality player to their ranks today with the loan signing of experienced Fleetwood Town left back Paul Edwards.
The 32-year-old natural left-footer was a summer target of Stags boss Paul Cox but instead he joined the quality mass influx of players at title hopefuls Fleetwood.
However, as one of three left backs there, Edwards has been out of favour and Cox was staggered to find he was available and a deal was done quickly.
“It came out of the blue to be honest” he said. “I didn't think I had a chance of getting him in any way. So for him to be made available and for us to quickly come to an agreement is excellent.
“He has got a little bit of everything. He is a good defender and does what good defenders do. His initial job is to stop people from playing. But he also has a nice left foot on him – that's why Fleetwood took him in the first place.
“The lad will give us a bit of robustness in that position.”
Manchester-born Edwards has played over 300 League and non-League games with Barrow, Wrexham, Blackpool, Port Vale, Oldham Athletic, Swindon Town and Doncaster Rovers.
Stags could extend the loan for a maximum of three months with the agreement of all parties and, if he does well, doubtless the permanent signing of Edwards will be a summer possibility.
He will make his debut at Ebbsfleet on Saturday, allowing Luke O'Neill to go back to right back
Stags swoop to sign Fleetwood left-back
Nottingham Post, Thursday, January 26, 2012
MANSFIELD Town have clinched the signing of Fleetwood left-back Paul Edwards on a month's loan.
The experienced 32-year-old former Swindon, Wrexham, Blackpool, Oldham and Port Vale player joins after failing to break into the Cod Army's first team squad this season.
Edwards will be familiar to Mansfield fans having played against the Stags for Barrow during the 2010-11 season.
"Paul has got pace to burn and he will give us a resoluteness defensively," said manager Paul Cox.
"Teams who have aspirations to get into the Football League are signing players to make sure their squad is well equipped – and we are doing the same."
Cox is hopeful of making at least one more signing before the close of the January transfer window, with a striker top of his list
Stags boss Cox finally gets his man in Edwards
Nottingham Post, Friday, January 27, 2012
PAUL Cox is 'chuffed' Paul Edwards has joined Mansfield Town on loan – having first tried to sign the pacy left-back in the summer.
The Stags boss was trailing the player when he left Barrow at the end of 2010-11.
But big-spenders Fleetwood stepped in to keep the 32-year-old – who has made more than 200 Football League appearances for the likes of Wrexham, Blackpool, Oldham and Port Vale – in the north-west.
However, Edwards has yet to make a senior appearance for the Cod Army this season and Stags quickly made a move.
"We had a period in the summer where left-backs were coming and going on trial and Paul was one in the background I wanted to sign," said Cox.
"I have been watching him for a while but it has come out of the blue. It was a surprise he became available.
"First and foremost he is a good defender, but he also has a good left foot going forward
"Hopefully it will lead to a longer stay for Paul whether we extend the loan or make it permanent."
LATEST INJURY NEWS:
twitter.com/JohnThommo1981 John Thompson, 26Jan2012
A positive week at Lilleshall Rehab Clinic,very tough work but worth it,3 weeks left there,then hopefully my season can start! #inprison??
Stags boss Cox taking no chances with Ebbsfleet trip
chad.co.uk, Thursday 26 January 2012
PAUL Cox has warned his players that Saturday's crucial trip to Ebbsfleet United could prove a far trickier task than the 0-0 midweek draw at promotion hopefuls Luton Town.
“When we play the big boys it seems to take care of itself,” said Cox.
“But, with no disrespect to Ebbsfleet, it is sometimes harder to go away to a ground with a small crowd and little atmosphere and it's easy to get caught out.”
To underline his worries, Cox will be taking his squad down to Kent on Friday night to prepare properly.
Ebbsfleet are no mugs this season and are comfortably in mid-table.
Liam Daish's men lost three and drew two of their first five home league games but have since improved to win five and draw three of the next 10.
Stags are currently five unbeaten, trying to cut that seven point gap to the play-offs, and have only lost twice in their last 14 league outings.
Paul Edwards, who joined the club today on a month's loan from Fleetwood, will make his debut, with Martin Riley likely to be the one who makes way in the back
Mansfield Town boss Paul Cox calls for focus
chad.co.uk, Friday 27 January 2012
Stags boss Paul Cox says his side must keep their focus as the Blue Square Premier season reaches the business-end.
Mansfield Town remain in the hunt for a play-off spot following a recent run of five games unbeaten, which includes two impressive draws against high-flyers York City and a point on the road at Luton Town.
But the former Eastwood Town gaffer knows the Field Mill side must now build on the solid foundations laid and make in-roads into the seven point gap between themselves and Kidderminster in the last play-off place.
Stags, who have a game in hand on their rivals against Tamworth, travel to Ebbsfleet United tomorrow looking to bridge that gap further and extend their unbeaten streak to six.
Said Cox: “This is a very important time of the season for us. We are at the business end of the campaign, the players understand what is expected of them and the performances have been good recently.
“It is important that we are strong and have a good mindset for the rest of the season and get the results.
“We are still in the pack chasing for play-offs. We set ourselves the target at the start of the season of still being in the pack at this stage and that is where we are at.”
Cox is also warning his side against complacency against Ebbsfleet following the impressive televised draw with Luton.
“Overall the Luton point was a good point for us, on another day we could have won but before the game we would have taken a point,”he said.
“It will be totally different going to Ebbsfleet compared to a trip against a former topflight side, but teams that are going to be successful have to get results against the lower teams as well as the top teams.
“I will be looking at the Ebbsfleet game very closely this weekend to see if we have progressed in our mindset as a side. If we go into the game with the wrong mentality then we will get beat.”
Mansfield Town should fear no-one, says Stags striker Ross Dyer
chad.co.uk, Friday 27 January 2012
STAGS striker Ross Dyer says Mansfield Town should not be scared of facing any team in the Blue Square Premier.
Mansfield Town are currently on a five-game unbeaten streak and full of confidence after their assured display in the 0-0 draw away at Luton in midweek.
Dyer, who has netted six times this season from the wing, was speaking ahead of Mansfield's 343 mile round-trip to face Ebbsfleet United.
“The Luton game has given us a lot of confidence, we finished that game very strongly and on another game would have won,”said Dyer.
“We have picked up some good points in our last five games against some very good teams. There is no team in this division that we have to be scared of, we have proved ourselves against the top teams this season.”
But the former Forest Green Rovers player knows only too well that Stags must up their game against the lower teams in the division.
“One of the problems we have had this season is too many draws, especially against the so-called lower teams,” added Dyer.
Too many times we have drawn those sort of games when we should have won. If we learn our lessons and turn those draws into wins then I am sure we can be in the play-offs at the end of the season.
“As a group of players we all know how many points we need and what are targets are to reach that poitns total. At the moment we are on course to do this.
“It is frustrating that we have not closed the gap on the play-off places despite picking up some good points recently, but if we keep going in the way we are then we will be ok for the play-offs.
“We have a game in hand against Tamworth, which is going to be very important. If we win that then we will close that gap and increase the pressure on teams above us.
Liam Daish's Ebbsfleet are currently in good form, having won four of their last five matches in all competitions
Bolland extends Harrogate stay
mansfieldtown.net, Fri 27 Jan 2012
Midfielder Paul Bolland has extended his loan spell at Harrogate Town until the end of the season.
The 32 year old had originally joined the Conference North outfit on a month's loan
Time is now for Stags to make play-off push – Sutton
Nottingham Post, Friday, January 27, 2012
ONE look around Kenilworth road on Wednesday night told the story.
The happy fans clapped and chanted; the delighted players high-fived. All connected with Mansfield Town clearly felt it was a job well done.
But while a 0-0 draw at high-flyers Luton – still regarded as the biggest club in the Blue Square Bet Premier – was regarded as cause to be encouraged, the same will not be the case if they are held at Ebbsfleet tomorrow.
Liam Daish's side cannot boast the players, stadium or league position of Gary Brabin's Hatters, meaning expectations among the Mansfield fraternity will inevitably rise.
But the pressure to secure a victory at Stonebridge Road will not just come from the supporters; the players and management are putting pressure on themselves.
The importance of the game has certainly not been lost on defender Ritchie Sutton, who switched from the middle to play at right-back in Bedfordshire.
The former Port Vale player knows it is vital that Mansfield start converting at least some of their draws into three points – starting in Kent.
"It was definitely a point gained at Luton who are a good team, even if we were disappointed not to win it in the end," said Sutton.
"We have got ourselves together over the last five games and stayed unbeaten, which has given us the confidence to make a move.
"But we have to make it now because time is running out.
"It has been the story of our season that we have been hard to beat but had too many draws.
"If we want to be in the play-offs we have to finish strongly. "We know we are capable of doing it, now we just have to go out and do it.
"These are the games where we have to convert the draws into wins."
Sutton admits it is hard not to lament the amount of points lost from winning positions that has cost Stags so dearly.
Of their 13 league draws, Mansfield have been at least a goal up in eight of them.
Sutton said: "It's hard not to look back and think what might have been had we won most of the games we were winning.
"We were are disappointed we didn't win either of the two York games, especially the second one when we were 2-0 up and there were a lot of matches that went the same way earlier in the season.
"We could have been up there challenging Wrexham and Fleewood had we held on, as we should in at least some cases.
"But hopefully we have learned and can use it to our advantage during the rest of the season."
Boss Paul Cox is in agreement that Mansfield's second away trip inside four days could be a key game in their season.
The Stags will be aided in their preparations by an overnight stay, rather than travelling down south tomorrow morning.
"There is a danger of it being 'after the Lord Mayor's show' for us, having played at Luton in front of the TV cameras and then going to a much smaller club," said Cox.
"People have said to me how well we did against Luton, but it means nothing if we don't follow it up.
"We will try to do things professionally and it will be interesting to see how the players react. I'm looking for the same kind of desire and commitment.
"But if we show them any disrespect, then we are going to get our backsides kicked. I have watched them recently and Ebbsfleet are a good side."
Cox is considering changes, despite what he saw at Luton, in a bid to prevent burn-out.
He said: "We have to look at it in terms of freshening things up. Do we thrown Hutcho (Ben Hutchinson) in again as we try to build his fitness, or do we bring him off the bench?
"Do we start with Greeny (Matt Green), who carried a bit of a knock into the Luton game and do we bring back Lindon (Meikle)?
"I usually like to take a squad of 17, but I'm likely to take 20 this time. I want to keep our options open."
Lincoln City boss in hunt for new strikers amid fears Sam Smith is out for the season
Lincolnshire Echo, Thursday, January 26, 2012
David Holdsworth was urgently assessing his options in the transfer market today as he attempts to fend off growing concerns over his forward line.
The Lincoln manager is feverishly searching for reinforcements after revealing top scorer Sam Smith could miss the rest of the season.
?The nine-goal frontman will undergo an X-ray tomorrow amid fears he has broken the same bone in his foot that caused him to miss a month of action before Christmas.
Smith suffered the injury just before half-time of the 2-0 win against Southport and with Jamie Taylor and Francis Laurent also sidelined with injury, Holdsworth is left with Richard Pacquette as his only natural frontman.
That has forced him to scour his contacts book in a bid to find the two strikers he insists are needed to address the shortfall in firepower.
The Echo understands that a move for Grimsby's Rob Duffy has failed because of finances, while a second move for Mansfield's Adam Smith has also been rebuffed.
Jefferson Louis is also said to have appeared on his radar, having plundered 16 goals for Southern League Premier side, Brackley.
Latest | January 2012