{ the news }
 
Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Archived News from September 2011

NAYLOR PLAYS FOR FULHAM RESERVES / FUTCHER LATEST
16th September 2011 23:42




Stags turn down second Naylor bid
mansfieldtown.net, Wed 14 Sep 2011

We can confirm that we have today rejected a bid for Tom Naylor from League One outfit Bournemouth.

http://www.mansfieldtown.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10325~2450598,00.html

The 20-year-old defender, who has attracted the attention of a number of clubs, is currently on trial at Fulham after spending last week training with Derby County.

He impressed at right back for Fulham's reserve side in their match against Manchester United on Monday and is set to play in another game for the Cottagers' second string against Crystal Palace tomorrow.

Prior to his trials with the aforementioned clubs, we had turned down an initial bid from a League One outfit.

Manager Paul Cox told mansfieldtown.net: "The bid we received from Bournemouth does not match our valuation of Tom. The only time we will let Tom leave is if we receive adequate compensation for him."

--------------------

Mon 12 Sep 2011
Tom Naylor played for Fulham reserves away to Manchester United reserves on Monday night (12Sep). The game was shown live on MUTV. Naylor had an impressive game, playing at right back, while Dan Burn and Ian Pearce played at centre half. Naylor did not look out of place amongst some impressive players especially in the Manchester United team. He had one chance to score with a rasping drive from a tight angle. - Martin

--------------

VIDEO: Cox to extend Futcher loan stay --->
http://www.mansfieldtown.net/page/FromTheBoss/0,,10325~2448394,00.html

Mon 12 Sep 2011

Manager Paul Cox hopes to have resolved the future of loanee defender Ben Futcher later this week.

In this morning's press conference the Gaffer said that enquiries at parent club Bury had been positive and he is confident that the towering defender's initial one month loan will be extended further.

"I've spoken to Bury and everything's been agreed," said Cox. "Richie (Barker) has agreed for the lad to come here and Ben is really keen to come. Really I just need to OK everything with the Chairman and hopefully we can tie Ben down to a longer term deal.

"He's been immense for us, not just on the pitch but in the dressing room as well. The man's a winner and that's the sort of player we want at this football club."

Another player who's future is still uncertain is highly-rated defender Tom Naylor who is currently on trial at Premiership side Fulham having spent last week with Derby County. Naylor is set to feature in The Cottager's reserve team game against Manchester United tonight.

Cox added: "I think he (Naylor) will be more interested in getting people's autographs than playing. I seriously hope the lad performs well tonight - not for any other reason than he is a good lad with a great attitude and I want to see people like that progress in football.

"He's a Mansfield Town player until anyone steps in with anything near what we think he's worth. It's all in his locker now and he has got to go up there and enjoy it."

Turning his attention back to league matters, whilst obviously delighted with recording a fourth consecutive victory on Saturday against Newport, Cox has again stressed the importance on remaining focussed and not getting sucked into the hype of our current impressive form.

He said: "The lads did really well. I don't want to sound like Victor Meldrew again but it was only one game and we move on to Barrow now on Saturday.

"They're a great bunch and we're all going through a steep learning curve at the minute. This team has a lot of potential and what I'm trying to do is keep them grounded.

"You never win anything at this stage of the season but there is certainly potential there with them.

"It's going to be a tough league with people taking points off each other but if we can be consistent and follow on from what we've been doing of late, we might be in that leading pack around Christmas time and then who knows from there on in.

"The whole place is buzzing at the minute but we don't want to get carried away with it."

Finally, in injury news, Lee Stevenson is approximately 10 days away from full fitness whilst Martin Riley is due to take part in training this week and should be in contention for Saturday's trip to Barrow. Long term absentee Rhys Day will take part in a closed-doors friendly game later this week

---------------

Cox delighted as Stags strikers deliver the goods
Nottingham Post, Tuesday, September 13, 2011

MATT Green and Ross Dyer's excellent form for Mansfield Town means Paul Cox has suspended his loan striker search – for now.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/story-13319621-detail/story.html

The Stags boss had said that he was keen to bring in more competition up front when the window for temporary signings re-opened last week.

But with both players fit and firing – scoring a goal apiece on Saturday's 5-0 demolition of Newport County – that need has become less urgent, especially with Paul Connor waiting patiently for his chance.

"At the moment, the front two are doing the business. They are playing well, looking good and scoring goals," said Cox.

"It means bringing in another striker is not quite as much of a priority as I thought it was going to be.

"Of course, if you are looking at the teams that are going to be up there, they have at least four good forwards they can call on.

"We are all right with the three we have, but that could start to look different if we have one or two injuries or suspensions.

"I will always continue to have irons in the fire because you never know what is around the corner."

Cox was last night hoping to tie up a deal to extend Ben Futcher's loan from Bury for the maximum 93 days.

The central defender has been a rock for Mansfield, with the team unbeaten in six matches since his arrival.

Tom Naylor, meanwhile, was due to play for Fulham against Manchester United reserves at Altrincham last night as part of his trial with the London club.

The 20-year-old was on trial with Derby County last week

--------------------------------

Stags star Naylor to face Manchester United reserves on trial tonight
chad.co.uk, Monday 12 September 2011

TOM Naylor will line-up for Fulham Reserves against Manchester United reserves tonight as the Stags youngster begins his week-long trial at Craven Cottage.

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town-fc/stags_star_naylor_to_face_manchester_united_reserves_on_trial_tonight_1_3764154

The in-demand defender has just returned from a week's trial at Championship neighbours Derby County and Mansfield manager Paul Cox said: “We all wish him the best.

“He just has to forget about who he is up against tonight and enjoy it.

“If he doesn't earn a move it won't be the end of the world. Sometimes these trials are a game of chance and if you don't do well you miss out.

“But he is a lovely lad and deserves success. I know Nigel Clough was very impressed with him last week. But there are now a hell of a lot of other clubs waiting and keeping their eyes on the situation.

“Other clubs have seen him having trails at Premiership and Championship clubs and they are not stupid.

“But until we get a bid that matches our valuation Tom is going nowhere.”

Centre half Nick Wood's one-month deal has expired and Cox will this week speak with chairman John Radford and the player about extending it.

Although Naylor could be moving on, competition is becoming increasingly fierce for the centre back slots with Ben Futcher and Richie Sutton entrenched in there at the moment, Martin Riley returning to the squad this week, Rhys Day expected to play in a behind closed doors friendly this week and hopes high that John Thomson could start some light training next week.

Futcher has expressed a desire to extend his loan from Bury whose boss, ex-Stags star Richie Barker, has given his blessing.

That is another matter Cox will speak to John Radford about and Wood may ultimately feel his future lays elsewhere looking at the pecking order

-----------------

Mansfield reject Bournemouth bid for Naylor
chad.co.uk, Wednesday 14 September 2011

MANSFIELD TOWN have confirmed that they have rejected a bid for Tom Naylor from League One outfit Bournemouth.

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town-fc/mansfield_reject_bournemouth_bid_for_naylor_1_3771933?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

The 20-year-old defender, who has attracted the attention of a number of clubs, is currently on trial at Fulham after spending last week training with Derby County.

He impressed at right back for Fulham's reserve side in their match against Manchester United on Monday and is set to play in another game for the Cottagers' second string against Crystal Palace tomorrow.

Prior to his trials with the aforementioned clubs, the Stags had turned down an initial bid from a League One outfit.

Manager Paul Cox told mansfieldtown.net: “The bid we received from Bournemouth does not match our valuation of Tom.

“The only time we will let Tom leave is if we receive adequate compensation for him.”

Meanwhile, the Stags have released defender Nick Wood after a one month spell

---------------

Cherries: Club 'tables bid for defender Naylor'
Tuesday 13th September 2011, By Neil Meldrum
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/9248706.Cherries__Club__tables_bid_for_defender_Naylor_/

Cherries are understood to have tabled a five-figure bid for Mansfield Town defender Tom Naylor, the Echo understands.

The 20-year-old centre-half has been on trial with both Derby County and Premiership side Fulham.

It is understood reserve team boss Ryan Garry watched Naylor in the FA Trophy final in May and was impressed enough for Cherries to continue to monitor the Sutton-in-Ashfield born star

----------------

 

Latest | September 2011