{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2011

12th March 2011 21:46

FA Trophy Round 4 replay
Mansfield Town 3 - 1 Chasetown
Murray 35, Briscoe 56, Mitchley 77. Teesdale 52
Attendance: 2295 (525 from Chasetown)

Date: 8 March 2011

Martin Shaw at Field Mill

The Stags beat Chasetown 3-1 on Tuesday in the FA Trophy quarter-final replay. The first leg of the semi-final is against Luton at Field Mill on SUNDAY 13 March midday kick-off.


Stags book semi place after Chasetown win
CHAD.co.uk report by John Lomas

THEY made hard work of it, but Mansfield Town finally saw off plucky Chasetown in last night's FA Trophy replay at Field Mill to book a two-legged semi-final showdown with Luton Town.


The Evo-Stick Premier side, did themselves and their noisy 525-strong travelling support proud and were unlucky to trail to Adam Murray's 35th minute strike at the break, having enjoyed the best of the first half.

But, in a thrilling cup tie, the Scholars levelled on 53 minutes when Ben Jevons netted from close range.

However, within three minutes Louis Briscoe's 11th goal of the season put Stags back in the driving seat and Danny Mitchley clinched victory with a killer third 14 minutes from time to keep Stags' season firmly alive.

Saturday's scheduled clash with Bath is now postponed and BSBP rivals Luton visit Field Mill on Sunday for a high noon showdown, the return at Kenilworth Road six days later and a Wembley final the ultimate prize.

For a full match report, buy your copy of Chad, which is on sale from Wednesday morning.


Stags go through but are made to fight all the way against Chasetown
Evening Post report by Matt Halfpenny

ON paper, it looked a mere formality. In reality, it was anything but.


For those not at Field Mill last night, the scoreline suggests a comfortable progression to the last four of the FA Trophy for Mansfield Town.

But the truth of the matter was they were made to fight every inch of the way by gallant Chasetown, who belied their lowly pyramid ranking.

More used to playing the likes of Hucknall and Worksop, the Stags' Evo-Stik Premier visitors had already progressed through six rounds and beaten Kettering and Grimsby to reach this stage.

And in the first half hour of their 11th match in the competition, they were in near-total control of the game, so much so that it was hard to tell who was professional and who waspart-time.

Had they scored during that period, who knows what could have happened. It could have been the beginnings of another shock.

As it was, Mansfield capitalised by taking the lead and only stuttered once thereafter, when Chasetown briefly restored parity.

Yes, in the final stages it was a little bit like a shooting gallery as shots rained in on Ryan Price's goal. The victory could have been more emphatic.

But that would have been mightily harsh on Charlie Blakemore's battlers, who were a credit to themselves and were deservedly applauded off by both sets of fans at full-time.

Mansfield were forced to make one change after Saturday's 2-0 win at Tamworth as striker Louis Moult was suffering from a back complaint and advised not to play by parent club Stoke City.

He was replaced by Danny Mitchley, who was promoted from the bench, while Dan Spence made his home debut at left-back.

But it was Chasetown, roared on by a healthy travelling contingent for one of the biggest games in their history, who made the brighter start.

Ramone Stephens worked space for a low cross from the right-hand side of the box, which was just behind Daniel Smith, who had made a burst forward from midfield.

The visitors continued to play some good football and were not a million miles away from going in front in the tenth minute.

At first, Stephens was headed off by Tom Naylor, but the winger retrieved the ball and centred to the far post where Ben Jevons' diving header flew past the left-hand post.

Moments later, Richard Davies was played into space on the left-hand side of the area, but, as he saw glory, he sliced his drive horribly wide.

But the Stags should have gone in front as they finally found their feet.

Murray picked out Spence on the left and his pinpoint cross was headed inches over the top by Paul Connor from the edge of the six-yard box.

Gary Birch then tried his luck with an ambitious lob from 40 yards that was always dropping wide of David Grof's goal.

There was a nervy moment for the Hungarian midway through the first half – bearing in mind his handling error had gifted the Scholars a replay – when a Davies corner landed on the roof of his net.

Mansfield were really struggling to find any kind of rhythm, with possession given away needlessly on a number of occasions.

Chasetown continued to have the upper hand with Stephens picking out Birch, whose snapshot failed to test Grof.

It was not getting any better for the hosts by the half hour mark as Spence had to touch away Jevons' far post ball from the path of Stephens before Richard Teesdale headed narrowly wide from the resulting corner.

A slick counter saw Birch pick out Jevons with the deftest of touches, only for his first-time shot to be blocked by Gary Silk.

However, very much against the run of play, the Stags scored an excellent opener.

Connor played the ball inside the full-back for Cain whose low cross was swept into the roof of the net first time from eight yards by Murray.

That seemed to be the tonic the hosts needed as they almost doubled their lead when Mitchley turned past his marker in the box and fired inches wide of the left-hand upright.

But Chasetown, as in the first tie, were not about to give in and Mansfield struggled to clear their lines in a scramble with half-time approaching.

The Stags again went close to a second when Naylor put Mitchley away through the left channel, but his right-foot hit was blocked by the alert Teesdale.

Connor was next to try his luck but smashed wide from a tight angle before Naylor kept his composure to close the door on Smith at the other end.

Within seconds of the restart, Mitchley was denied by Chris Slater's smart block while Naylor headed wide from the rebound when he should have at least hit the target.

Another golden opportunity went begging for the young striker when he was superbly found by Murray in space but saw his low effort blocked and held by Price.

And as Mansfield pressed again, Silk popped up to half volley just wide after Mitchley and Louis Briscoe had combined to tee him up.

The home side were made to pay in the 54th minute as Chasetown found a leveller, with Grof again culpable.

He failed to deal effectively with Davies' inswinging free-kick and as Birch's drive was blocked from the follow-up, Jevons fired into the roof of the net from close range.

But it took Mansfield just two minutes to go back ahead. Cain's cross was headed against the bar by Connor and then the left-hand post by Briscoe before the latter finally forced home from close in.

It should have been 3-1 and game over when a flowing move culminated in Silk picking out Connor, who somehow glanced wide from three yards.

The Stags' top scorer also missed out when he miscued from inside the six-yard box with the goal gaping.

As Chasetown gambled by throwing on Gary Hay and Steven Abbott for Stephens and James Turner, Mansfield caught them on the counter with a crucial third, Mitchley sliding home Connor's precise low cross from the left.

With the visitors tiring, Connor was away and clear only to get the ball stuck under his feet before Briscoe crashed against the bar after collecting a Mitchley lay-off, but it did not matter.

Mansfield fans only have to wait until noon on Sunday for the first leg of their semi-final double header with favourites Luton Town.

Now only 180 minutes from Wembley, it should be a long overdue occasion to savour

Match facts: Mansfield Town v Chasetown
Mansfield: Grof, Silk, Naylor, Sandwith, Spence, Cain, Thompson, Murray, Briscoe, Connor, Mitchley. Subs not used: Marriott, Foster, Nix, Smith, Istead.

Chasetown: Price, Turner (Abbott 75), Slater, Teesdale, Peel, Smith, Parsons (J. Branch 68), Davies, Jevons, Stephens (Hay 75), Birch. Subs not used: M. Branch, Cohen.

Referee: Dean Mohareb (Stockport).

Attendance: 2,295 (525 visitors).

Goals: Mansfield: Murray (35), Briscoe (56), Mitchley (76). Chasetown: Jevons (54)

Shots on target: Mansfield 8 Chasetown 3.

Shots off target: Mansfield 12 Chasetown 6.

Fouls: Mansfield 11 Chasetown 11.

Corners: Mansfield 4 Chasetown 2.

Offsides: Mansfield 6 Chasetown 4.

Bookings: Mansfield 2 (Murray, 21, foul on Stephens; Silk, 54, foul on Jevons) Chasetown 1 (Peel, 38, foul on Silk).

Sendings off: Mansfield 0 Chasetown 0.

Mansfield's man of the match: Dan Spence. Impressed on his home debut, as he had done in his previous two appearances against Alfreton and Tamworth. Has made light of playing away from his natural right-hand side at left-back


Stoic Scholars see their Wembley dream ended by Stags
thisislichfield.co.uk report


CHASETOWN'S wonderful FA Trophy run came to an end at the quarter-final stage at Conference side Mansfield on Tuesday night, writes Dave Goddard .


Yet again the Scholars – with more than 500 travelling fans behind them – did not disgrace themselves against higher league opposition but Mansfield came on strong in the second period to earn a semi-final against Luton.

A steady start saw Chasetown exert early pressure down the right with Ramone Stephens sending in a dangerous cross in the sixth minute but the ball just evaded Danny Smith and the hosts were able to clear.

Stephens provided another peach of a cross four minutes later which allowed Ben Jevons a fine diving header but his effort went wide.

Richard Davies shot wide moments later as the Scholars continued their bright start, while Mansfield's Paul Connor headed a cross from Daniel Spence inches over the bar.

In response, Chasetown pushed even harder, with another cross from Stephens sliced wide by Gary Birch – but against the run of play, Mansfield took the lead on 36 minutes.

Ashley Cain picked up a loose ball on the right and crossed neatly to skipper Adam Murray, who lashed his shot into the roof of the net.

Skipper Richard Teesdale blocked a shot from Danny Mitchley on 43 minutes as Mansfield pressed for a second goal but the Scholars held out for half time.

Mansfield went close right from the kick-off in the second half through a Cain free kick and a Mitchley shot from a tight angle.

Mitchley then forced Ryan Price to save low after beating Lee Parsons to the ball ten yards out before Gary Silk fired narrowly over the bar as the Stags dominated. On 52 minutes, however, the Scholars sensationally drew level when a Chris Peel free kick caused a goalmouth scramble, with a stab at goal by Birch before Teesdale smashed the equaliser into the roof of the net.

Two minutes later, though, the hosts restored their lead in dramatic and controversial fashion.

Two shots from close range bounced back off the woodwork but Louis Briscoe ensured it was third time lucky although the referee had to consult with his linesman before awarding the goal after the offside flag had initially gone up.

Home keeper David Grof had to get down low to stop a Birch chance on 74 minutes but the Stags made things secure moments later as Connor's cross picked out Mitchley and he rifled home past Price.

With the Scholars somewhat deflated, chances rained in for Mansfield, Briscoe cannoning a shot off the bar with ten minutes to go and Mitchley firing over.

But any further goals for the hosts would have put an unfair slant on the scoreline as the Scholars again did themselves proud, even in defeat.

Chasetown: Price, Turner (Abbott 74), Peel, Slater, Davies, Teesdale, Stephens (Hay 74), Parsons (J Branch 66), Birch, D Smith, Jevons.

Subs not used: M Branch, Cohen.

Attendance: 2,295 (525 Chasetown).



Latest | March 2011