{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2010

12th December 2010 20:57

Barrow game off
mansfieldtown.net, Fri 03 Dec 2010 12.00pm
In the interests of spectator and player safety, tomorrow's BSBP fixture at home to Barrow has been postponed.


The decision was made by local referee Russell Booth this morning following an unprecedented amount of snowfall in Mansfield this week.

With temperatures predicted to remain below zero overnight and into tomorrow, the stadium and car park areas present a safety hazard to supporters whilst the pitch is almost certain to remain frozen.

Russell Booth told mansfieldtown.net: "The car park and surrounding ares are covered with over one foot of snow and road conditions were very bad. I could not get to see the pitch this morning but from a distance it was covered with one foot of snow. The temperature today is -6 degrees so there would be no chance of the ground being fit."

Mansfieldtown.net will bring you details as soon as this fixture has been rearranged.


Non-League Paper, 5 Dec 2010

Local referee Russell Booth was in the bizarre position of having to call the game against Barrow off from the roadside, unable to get onto the pitch for a standard inspection.


Pitch inspection planned for Friday
mansfieldtown.net, Tue 30 Nov 2010
Local Referee Russell Booth will inspect the Field Mill playing surface at 9.45 on Friday morning, prior to Saturday's proposed home match to Barrow.


Dipping temperatures in recent days has left the Field Mill pitch frozen and covered by six inches of snow. However, the Football Conference have advised all clubs in the BSBP to leave making a decision 'as late as possible to give games every chance to be played.'

Head groundsman Michael Merriman told http://www.mansfieldtown.net: "It isn't worthwhile for us to attempt to clear the pitch as we have experienced four days of frost prior to the falling snow.

"Even if we cleared it, it is highly likely that it would still be frozen," he added.

More snow is expected in Mansfield over the next few days and temperatures are forecast to plummet further.

We will, however, continue to prepare thoroughly and diligently in every way possible should Saturday's match go ahead. A decision should be reached by 10am on Friday. Stay posted to mansfieldtown.net for further news.



Latest | December 2010