{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2010

4th August 2010 10:38

3 Aug 2010

Nuneaton Town 3 - 1 Mansfield Town youth/first team

Oddy pen 23, Spencer 30, Berwick 83. Briscoe 75.

Attendance: 442

James Elliott;
Jordan Fairclough, Preece, ??, Ventrella;
Briscoe, Istead, Somner, Nix, Williams;
Subs: various youth players, Bradley Munn, Tom Naylor.

Stags goal: A Williams cross resulted in a Briscoe headed goal, in a good counter attack.




Nuneaton Town ran out comfortable winners against Conference Premier outfit Mansfield Town at the Triton Showers Community Arena after two first half goals saw Nuneaton take command. Rob Oddy converted a Penalty on the 23rd minute after Chris Dillon was brought down in the box. This was added to seven minutes later by Danny Spencer who lashed a stunning 25 yard free kick around the wall and past the static keeper.

The crowd of 442 saw Mansfield, who in their last game had hammered Hucknall 1-6, pull one back in when Louis Briscoe met a cross on the back post after losing Rob Oddy. Tom Berwick sealed the win in the 83rd minute with a simple tap in following a long range shot spilled by the Mansfield keeper to make it 3-1.


Spencer stars for Boro
Nuneaton Town 3 Mansfield Town 1


DANNY Spencer gave Nuneaton Town manager Kevin Wilkin plenty to think about with another fine pre-season showing - this time in a 3-1 win against Mansfield Town.


The burly striker was the star of the show despite only playing for an hour as he scored a fine free-kick and generally dominated the visiting defence.

The one big disappointment is that he is not available for the first league game of the season as he is at a wedding.

At least the other forwards looked sharp with Chris Dillon winning a first half penalty - put away by Rob Oddy.

Tom Berwick scored a late third with his first touch, Lee Moore looked lively and there were good cameos by Aden Moore and Justin Marsden.

Mansfield for their part were hopeless in the first half, begging the question as to how well Boro played against a Blue Square Premier team fielding mostly fringe players.

Trialist goalkeeper Danny Alcock came on in the second half and held further talks with Wilkin after the game. He could decide whether or not to sign for the club today.

Boro were far and away the best team in the opening half, going into the break with a deserved 2-0 lead.

Spencer's build and physical style on the pitch suggests he is nothing more than a powerhouse target man on first viewing.

However, he displayed a craft and first touch that suggest he deserves more respect. He had a major hand in the first goal, taking down a towering clearance gracefully on the halfway line and spraying the ball out to the impressive Simon Forsdick.

He whipped a cross in and Dillon, who looked as sharp as he has done all pre-season, was shoved over in the box.

Oddy stepped up and side-footed in the resultant penalty to give Nuneaton a 23rd minute lead.

Spencer added the second on 31 minutes when Kyle Storer was felled on the edge of the box. The former Brackley Town man lashed the ball into the left hand corner from 20 yards with a great strike, although Mansfield gave him plenty of help by lining up a pathetically positioned wall which left a good portion of the net to aim for.

Boro could have scored more as Storer had a skidding strike well saved by James Elliott, Lee Moore did well to get a dangerous cross in and the same player fired wide after good work.

Mansfield were awful. The closest they came was a clever chip by winger Kyle Nix, which floated wide. The second half was a more even affair with Mansfield getting a goal back on 67 minutes, Nix (correction - Briscoe) heading in an accurate cross from the right.

Boro's chances were limited until a late flourish. Substitute Aden Moore latched onto a through ball and slid in on the keeper, winning the ball only to see the effort roll wide.

Berwick sealed the win with seven minutes to go with his first touch as he capitalised on another mistake by Mansfield keeper Elliot, who spilled a routine Tom Bates shot.

Aden Moore slid a shot just wide with three minutes left as he did well in a lively cameo. Justin Marsden almost added a brilliant fourth with a stunning shot off the bar in the dying minutes.

Boro picked up a injuries to Mark Noon (ankle) and Adam Walker (calf), but neither of which is expected to be serious.
GOALS: Boro - Oddy (pen 23), Spencer (31), Marsden (83) STAGS - Briscoe (67)
BORO (3-5-2): Acton (Alcock 64); Hadland (Pierpoint 73), Collins (Berwick 83), Daniel (Dean 73); Oddy, Noon (Walker 56, Nisevic 70), Storer, L Moore (Marsden 73), Forsdick (Bates 83); Spencer (Armson 62), Dillon (A Moore 73)
REFEREE: Wayne Barrett



Latest | August 2010