{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from July 2010

26th July 2010 18:47

Mansfield Town 1 - 2 Nottingham Forest
Williams pen 73min. Tyson 10min, Adebola 27min.

Att: 3247 (1172 from Forest)

Wed 21 Jul 2010

Alan Marriott;
Gary Silk, Mark Preece (Tom Naylor 82), Steve Foster (Chris Smith 58), Kevin Sandwith (Ryan Williams 58);
Louis Briscoe (Lee Gregory 69), Matt Somner (Bradley Munn 82), Stevie Istead (Gary Mills ht), Paul Stonehouse;
Niall O'Rafferty (Danny Mitchley 76), Adam Smith (Ashley Cain 58).

Forest: Smith, Lesseles, Gibbons, Anderson, McGugan(Kay 82min), Adebola(Capt), Tyson(Raynor 78min), Artymatas, Moussi, Moloney, Lynch(Rodney 64min).
Subs not used: Mytides

Referee: Russell Booth


Stagsnet report by Darren Shaw at Field Mill

Mansfield battled back in the second half to regain some pride after having struggled in the first half to cope with the quick counter attacking play of Championship favourites, Nottingham Forest. Nathan Tyson, in particular, caused havoc every time he had the chance to run at the Stags defenders. However, the Stags regained their composure in the second half and played some good passing football to play their way back into the game and were finally rewarded with a goal from a Ryan Williams penalty.

Alan Marriott returned in goal with Gary Silk and Kevin Sandwith playing at full back. Mark Preece and Steve Foster were the two central defenders with Matt Somner looking to screen the defence in front of them. Steven Istead and Paul Stonehouse were also playing in midfield with Louis Briscoe on the right and Adam Smith on the left. Youngster, Niall O'Rafferty kept his place up front. Before the game, the Stags introduced two more new signings to the crowd, Keigan Parker from Oldham Athletic and Tyrone Thompson from Torquay United.

The Stags, attacking the North Stand end, should have been awarded a penalty in the first minute when Adam Smith dribbled the ball into the area from the left and was clearly brought down. Matt Somner followed up but his shot was saved. Forest quickly counter attacked and the ever dangerous Nathan Tyson was brought down on the edge of the area. Lewis McGugan's free kick went wide. Lewis McGugan then got behind Gary Silk but Mark Preece covered well to stop the cross and give Forest a corner. Forest took the lead after 9 minutes with the simplest of goals. Paul Smith kicked a long ball down the pitch to Nathan Tyson who out paced Steve Foster. Alan Marriott came charging out of his goal but Tyson knocked the ball past him and slotted it in from a tight angle on the left despite Kevin Sandwith's efforts to clear the ball off the line.

Kotsakis attacked down the right and his shot was well saved by Alan Marriott. Kevin Sandwith also had to clear a dangerous cross from Paul Anderson. After 14 minutes, good passing between Louis Briscoe and Steven Istead resulted in Briscoe's cross being blocked for a corner but it was well cleared by the Forest defence. Paul Stonehouse won the ball in midfield and played the ball out wide to Adam Smith but Niall O'Rafferty and Louis Briscoe just could not reach Smith's curling cross. On 16 minutes, Alan Marriott had to make another excellent save from Tyson as his speed caused problems once again.

The Stags won a free kick on 18 minutes when Niall O'Rafferty was fouled on the edge of the area. Kevin Sandwith took the free kick but it hit the Forest wall. Forest immediately counter attacjked and Steven Istead was left at the back on his own with Nathan Tyson. Tyson ran past him and shot wide of the post. Some good play between Steven Istead and Adam Smith freed Niall O'Rafferty on the right. He charged into the area towards the touchline and tried to pull the ball back to a Stags player but the ball was cleared. Forest increased their lead after 26 minutes when poor marking by the Stags' defence left Dele Adebola unmarked on the right and he easily slotted the ball past Marriott to make it 2-0. The Stags won another free kick on 29 minutes. This time Kevin Sandwith chipped the ball to the far post but Mark Preece's header was easily collected by Paul Smith. Paul Stonehouse then had a shot which went wide before Tyson did the same for Forest after another quick counter attack. Paul Stonehouse then ran on to a long ball from Gary Silk. He tried to chip the keeper but it was well saved by Smith. On 34 minutes, Lewis McGugan got clear on Forest's left but his cross was cleared by Kevin Sandwith. Brendon Maloney's shot was then well saved by Marriott before Forest nearly made it 3-0 just before time when McGugan's deflected shot nearly found the bottom corner. I had a chat with Kevin Bird at half time and he thought the Stags were giving the Forest attackers too much time and space. This view was shared by David Holdsworth after the game.

David Holdsworth made one change at half time with Gary Mills replacing Steven Istead. The Stags went on the attack and had three shots in the first five minutes of the half. Firstly, Gary Mills's free kick found Louis Briscoe who knocked it across goal to Steve Foster but Foster's quick turn and shot went wide. O'Rafferty shot over the bar after Smith had laid it back to him. Gary Mills then played a good ball to Adam Smith on the right who crossed the ball with his left foot to O'Rafferty but the youngster's shot went wide. Forest should have made it 3-0 after 52 minutes when Tyson's cross from the left put the ball on a plate for Lewis McGugan but he smashed it over the bar. The Stags had a good attack when Gary Mills won the ball in midfield and good passing between Paul Stonehouse and Matt Somner created a chance for Adam Smith but he shot narrowly wide.

The Stags made three changes after 57 minutes when Steve Foster, Kevin Sandwith and Adam Smith were replaced by Chris Smith, Ryan Williams and Ashley Cains. The changes had a good effect as the Stags started to pass the ball a lot better. Paul Stonehouse dropped to left back and looked very good In that position. He combined well with Gary Silk to cut out a Forest attack and then played a good ball to Ashley Cain. Gary Mills was also winning tackles in midfield. Ryan Williams was excellent and was passing the ball over the pitch. He hardly gave the ball away. Lee Gregory came on for Louis Briscoe after 72 minutes.

Niall O'Rafferty was still working very hard up front and nearly got a shot in after a quick free kick by Gary Mills. He was then brought down in the area by Dele Adebola and the referee awarded a penalty after a long think about it. This looked less of a penalty than the foul on Adam Smith but perhaps that was in the back of the referee's mind. Ryan Williams picked up the ball, put it on the spot and hit it to the keeper's left into the net. The Stags nearly scored again a few minutes later after excellent passing by Ryan Williams in midfield. Paul Stonehouse played the ball to O'Rafferty who knocked it back to Gary Mills on the edge of the area. Mills's shot was blocked but Ryan Williams followed up and drove a shot towards the goal which was deflected over the bar for a corner. O'Rafferty was then replaced by triallist Danny Mitchl;ey from Blackpool. He combined well with Ashley Cain on the right to cross to Gary Mills but Mills's header went wide. With 9 minutes to go, Mark Preece was replaced by Tom Naylor and Matt Somner was replaced by youngster, Bradley Munn. The Stags kept going forward looking for an equaliser but Forest defended well. Chris Smith headed wide near the end from Ashley Cain's cross.

Alan Marriott – Made a couple of good saves in the first half. Probably should not have charged out of his goal for Forest's first goal.

Gary Silk – Generally defended well and put in his fair share of tackles and clearances.
Mark Preece – Looked a little rusty in the first half. Improved in the second half.
Steve Foster – Won plenty of high balls in defence. Beaten for pace by Tyson for the first goal but most Championship defenders struggle to keep up with Tyson.
Kevin Sandwith – Disappointing game. Struggled to cope with the pace of Forest's attackers and gave the ball away on numerous occasions. Also played too many long balls. Probably at fault for the second goal.

Louis Briscoe – Well marked and did not make as much impact as Adam Smith on the left. Won a few corners.
Matt Somner – Played better than in the last two friendlies.
Paul Stonehouse – Made some good tackles and got forward once in the first half. Looked much better at left back. The Forest wide players struggled to get past him.
Steven Istead – Has been very good in the last two games. Had a quieter game tonight
Adam Smith – Had a lively game and should have been given a penalty in the first minute.

Niall O'Rafferty – Worked tremendously hard up front and gave the Forest defence plenty to think about. Wins his fair share of headers. Great to see that he has been given a contract by the club.


Gary Mills – Had a very good second half. Made some good tackles and tried to drive the Stags forward.
Chris Smith – Looked good once again in the defence. I would start the season with a Smith/Foster partnership in defence.
Ryan Williams – Excellent passing. Made a big difference when he came on. Should be in the Stags starting line up.
Ashley Cains – Looked lively once again when he came on.
Lee Gregory – Did not have much chance to shine.
Danny Mitchley – Worth another look. Looks to have a bit of pace and was eager to impress.
Tom Naylor – Looked comfortable on the ball once again. A very exciting prospect for the new season.
Bradley Munn – Had little time to get into the game. Made one good tackle.


Evening Post Match report: Mansfield Town 1 Nottingham Forest 2
AND so Mansfield Town's four amigos are back down to three.



And, on the pitch at least, things appear to be taking shape for next season.

The Stags paraded two more new signings in the shape of striker Keigan Parker and midfielder Tyrone Thompson, taking the tally of David Holdsworth's summer captures to eight.

Neither of the two 28-year-olds – Parker from Oldham and Thompson from Torquay – featured against Forest.

In their absence, the Reds, fielding seven recognised first-team squad members, outclassed the Stags at times.

Nathan Tyson gave the visitors the lead when he rounded Alan Marriott and finished confidently.

It was 2-0 to Forest in the 27th minute when Dele Adebola slotted into the right-hand corner after Brendan Moloney's surge.

However, Mansfield hung in there and played some good stuff in the second period.

Their reward came with 17 minutes to go when Ryan Williams converted a penalty after Niall O'Rafferty was adjudged to have been fouled in the box.


Mansfield: Marriott, Silk, Preece (Naylor 82), Foster (C. Smith 58), Sandwith (Williams 58), A. Smith (Caines 58), Somner (Munn 82), Istead (Mills 46), Stonehouse, Briscoe (Gregory 69), O'Rafferty. Subs not used: Collett, Higginson.

Forest: Smith, Lesseles, Gibbons, Anderson, McGugan (Kay 83), Adebola, Tyson (Reynor 81), Artymatas, Moussi, Maloney, Lynch (Rodney 64). Subs not used: Mytides.

Referee: Russell Booth (Sutton-in-Ashfield).

Attendance: 3,247 (1,172 visitors).


Stags lose derby friendly
CHAD.co.uk, 21 July 2010, By John Lomas

CHAMPIONSHIP neighbours Nottingham Forest inflicted Mansfield Town's first pre-season defeat on them tonight with a 2-1 win at Field Mill.


Although many of their biggest guns were playing in another Reds friendly at Tranmere tonight, Forest still had players of the calibre of Paul Smith, Paul Anderson, Lewis McGugan, Dele Adebola, Nathan Tyson, Guy Moussi and Joe Lynch on show.

And they looked a class above in the first half with an electric show, particularly from Tyson, as the Reds raced into a 2-0 interval lead before 1,172 delighted away fans in the 3,247 crowd.

But the pace dropped after the break and Ryan Willams made a match of it when he expertly put away a 73rd minute penalty.


Smith almost gave Stags an early advantage after robbing Artymatas 25 yards out and racing towards goal. But Artymatas recovered well to tackle back as Smith tried to make space to shoot and Somner eventually sent a tame shot at goal.

Tyson was brought down by Sandwith on the edge o the box with Forest hoping for a penalty. However, McGugan's free kick flew well over.

But Tyson's pace earned him the opening goal on 10 minutes as he punished Marriott for racing out of goal, Tyson getting to the ball before both Foster and Marriott and, despite being pushed wide to the left of the box, still managed to thread a perfect finish into the net between the post and Sandwith on the line.

Marriott was down to save a low Artymatas drive soon after and then denied a Tyson blast with an upstretched right hand after he had burst into the Stags box on the left.

Tyson's electric pace next time took him racing past Istead on the right and cut inside to shoot low across goal as Somner dived in to try to block.

A neat turn by O'Rafferty almost carved Stags an equaliser as he got into the box but couldn't find a team mate with his pull back.

Instead Forest went 2-0 up on 27 minutes with more signs of their high quality as Moloney's run ended with a pass to Adebola in the box who easily beat Sandwith before poking a calm, low finish inside the far post.

Stonehouse was just wide from 25 yards as Mansfield looked for a swift reply.
Then Stonehouse got behind the defence to reach a long Silk through ball but couldn't lift his lob high enough to beat Smith.

At the other end McGugan got a touch onto a low Tyson cross right in front of goal but directed the ball straight to Marriott from almost point blank range.

Marriott was also down to block a low Moloney shot and then watched a deflected McGugan effort bounce past his post while wrong-footed.

Three minutes into the second half a free kick came off Briscoe towards Foster who sliced a finish wide from 12 yards. Then Mils smashed a loose ball over from 20 yards as the home side made a confident start to the half.

More good work from Smith on the right saw him cross long towards O'Rafferty who wasn't too far over with his shot on the turn.

But McGugan should have made it 3-0 when the pacey Tyson laid it on a plate for him with a square pass from the left but his first time effort sailed over from 10 yards.

Smith then rattled the Forest sidenetting with a low left foot effort and, as both sides began to make substitutions, McGugan was too high for the Reds.

But striker Adebola, who had dropped back to play central defender, handed Stags a lifeline on 73 minutes as he brought down O'Rafferty with a clumsy tackle in the box and Williams placed a fine spot kick wide of Smith.

With the crowd behind them now, Stags pressed hard and Mills had a shot charged down with Williams' follow-up taking a wild deflection over the goal for a corner.

Mills sent a header wide from another decent Caines cross and, in stoppage time, Caines sent in his final far post cross which Smith nodded wide.

STAGS: Marriott, Silk, Preece (Naylor 82), Foster (C. Smith 58), Sandwith (Williams 58), Somner (Munn 82), Stonehouse, Istead (Mills ht), Briscoe (Gregory 69), O'Rafferty (Mitchley 76), A. Smith (Caines 58).

FOREST: Smith, Lesseles, Gibbons, Anderson, McGugan (Kay 83), Adebola, Tyson (Reynor 80) Artymatas, Moussi, Maloney, Lynch (Rodney 64).

REFEREE: Russell Booth.



Mansfield Town 1 v 2 Nottingham Forest
Wed 21 Jul 2010
Nottingham Forest eased to a comfortable pre-season victory over Nottinghamshire rivals Mansfield at Field Mill.

First half goals from Nathan Tyson and Dele Adebola secured success for a Reds line-up made up of first team squad members and Academy players.

And although they squandered a host of opportunities to add to their lead and Mansfield grabbed a second half consolation from the penalty spot, Forest had reason to be satisfied with their evening's work just along the A60.

They drew first blood after just nine minutes when Tyson won the race against Stags 'keeper Alan Marriott to a long ball forward and fired home from a tight angle.

Tyson could have added a second eight minutes later when Lewis McGugan sent him clear, but Marriott parried his shot.

The former Reading man wasted a golden opportunity to extend the visitors' lead in the 20th minute as he fired wide of the target after getting in behind the Mansfield back four.

Instead, it was Adebola - making a quicker than expected return to action after surgery to repair an old hernia that had become infected - who made it 2-0 six minutes later, firing coolly past Marriott after good work by Brendan Moloney.

Marriott made a sprawling save to keep out a deflected Moloney effort, while McGugan had a shot deflected narrowly wide on the stroke of half-time as Forest went in search of a third goal.

McGugan was guilty of a glaring miss early in the second half as he side-footed over with just Marriott to beat from an unmarked position after a quick raid down the left by Tyson.

Mansfield pulled a goal back 17 minutes from time when Ryan Williams fired home from the penalty spot after teenage defender Jamal Lasseles had been adjudged to have brought down Niall O'Rafferty.

Forest: Smith, Lesseles, Gibbons, Anderson, McGugan(Kay 82min), Adebola(Capt), Tyson(Raynor 78min), Artymatas, Moussi, Moloney, Lynch(Rodney 64min)
Subs not used: Mytides
Scorer: Tyson 10min, Adebola 27min

Mansfield: Marriott, Silk, Preece, Foster(Cains 54min), Sandwith(Smith 58min), Somner, Stonehouse, Istead(Mills 45minHT), Briscoe(Gregory 71min), O'Rafferty(Higginson 76min), Smith(Williams 58min)
Scorer: Williams pen 73min



Latest | July 2010