STAGS OFFER IMPROVED CONTRACT TO SPEIGHT
Mansfield Town offer new contract to Jake Speight
Wednesday, 19 May 2010
Mansfield Town have offered a new and improved deal to striker Jake Speight.
Speight, 24, ended last season as the club's leading scorer with 17 goals - despite starting only 17 matches.
The Stags had already exercised an option to extend his current contract by a year but have now offered Speight a longer deal on better terms.
Manager David Holdsworth told BBC Radio Nottingham: "Jake is a very, very good footballer who will score goals and we hope it will be for Mansfield."
Perry: Why I'm right to dig my heels in over Speight's contract
Evening Post, May 19, 2010
MANSFIELD Town chairman Andy Perry insists he is right to dig his heels in over Jake Speight's contract – despite the striker's transfer request.
Last season's top scorer with 17 goals is unhappy that no fresh contract has been negotiated.
But the Stags insist they can keep the player on the option they agreed when Speight signed last summer – on the same terms.
And if nothing changes, that means the player will not be paid between the end of the season and the start of July.
"You cannot win because if you spend too much money on a player, or if you don't give them more, then you come in for criticism," said Perry.
"Jake is a player that came from Droylsden who had not been fit the previous season.
"With that in mind he signed a year's contract with a year option that was in the club's favour because it reflected the work the gaffer (David Holdsworth) and the club would be investing in him.
"Jake scored some goals but then got injured and we paid £2,000 for his op, so we have shown faith in him.
"He has come back and did fantastic for us, but that has been rewarded in the bonuses he has picked up.
"Players have you believe that they are worthy of bigger and better contracts if they do well.
"But I think players have to realise where we as clubs are coming from. From a purely business point of view, we are looking at what we have to pay out over the summer."
But Perry also hinted there might be room for manoeuvre to ensure Speight is content at Field Mill.
He added: "I'm a little frustrated at how it has come out, but we are talking to Jake through his agent.
"We want him to be happy here and to do that, we may have to give him a few more quid.
"If we can do that within what we are doing with the budget at the club, then that could be agreed. But we have to look after the club first."
Other clubs have started signing players for next season, including Cambridge, Wrexham and Kidderminster.
But Perry insists there is no rush, especially as Mansfield have a strong nucleus of players and there are well over 400 available after being released.
He said: "I can understand the fans' frustrations to a degree that we aren't signing people when more than ten players have left the club.
"But we are looking to trim the squad and we have not been left threadbare.
"There are, of course, areas of which we are mindful, including a left-back. But the season is still running for some clubs and there is a long summer to come.
"Good clubs won't be scared into bringing players in early on. They have to be the right players and it is about being patient and holding your nerve.
"A lot of those people who have signed for clubs have signed pre-contracts and won't actually join and start being paid until July. Good business tells us not to pay people until July 1 when contracts start.
"That's where we stand and I can assure you it was the case with the previous chairman before me."
When Perry and the rest of the board took over the running of the club from Keith Haslam in July 2008, he promised to put any profit back into the club.
He admits the board is never going to be able to bankroll the Stags to success and believes the club must be self-sustaining to prosper.
But Perry would step aside in his role if the club could secure a wealthy benefactor.
"People may call me egotistical, but you have to put the club and the town first," he said.
"There is a frustration because the club has not fulfilled its potential over the last ten to 15 years when it has had the chance for different circumstances.
"The days are gone where a club can rely on owners throwing money into a pot. But I would step aside if someone came forward and it was for the best of the club.
"Some people, though, do not want to become a chairman and prefer to put money in without being a figurehead.
"I would be happy to work with that too because I would want to stay involved."
Holdsworth considers defensive options
Evening Post, May 24, 2010
MANSFIELD Town boss David Holdsworth has not ruled out re-signing Luke Jones or Michael Brough following the departure of Luke Foster.
The Stags felt compelled to let their captain go after he posted negative remarks about the club on a social networking site.
It leaves just youngsters Scott Garner and Tom Naylor as the only 'senior' central defenders on the club's books.
Holdsworth could now consider moving for one of the duo released at the end of the season.
"Of course, it all depends on the terms, but I gather that in Luke's case he has one or two other options," he said.
"Both players are good lads and we know what we will get from them. We do need to strengthen the back line. We need a left-back and two central defenders.
"We are in the market and in discussions with individuals and we will see how things unfold, but hopefully it will be sooner rather than later."
On Foster's exit, Holdsworth said the decision was taken 'in the best interests of the club'.
He added: "Our fans expect players to conduct themselves in the right manner when interacting with the media and on social networking sites
"If Luke has let himself down, he understands that and has apologised so we move on.
"But having had a conversation with him we felt this was the best thing to do.
"The fans helped bring him here, so I can understand they may be frustrated but certain situations come up that you have to deal with."