video interviews with David Holdsworth --->
Eight players to leave
mansfieldtown.net, Thu 29 Apr 2010
Eight players whose contracts are set to expire will not be offered new deals, David Holdsworth has revealed.
Veterans Craig Armstrong and Paul Heckingbottom are amongst the eight and are joined by fellow defenders Luke Jones and right back Scott Gardner.
Jon Challinor, Oliver Hotchkiss and Blair Sturrock will also leave Field Mill. They all join strikers Grant Ryan and Jason Bradley who were let go last week.
Meanwhile, Michael Brough, on loan from Torquay United, has returned to Plainmoor.
Manager David Holdsworth told the media at this afternoon's press conference: "I wish all the boys well and they have all given me 100% effort. I am grateful for their contribution this season. I hope they go on to be successful and I wish them and their families well."
Out of contract eight can leave
No budget yet set for Stags boss
CHAD.co.uk, 29 April 2010
By John Lomas
WITH no firm budget decided as yet for next season, Stags boss David Holdsworth today told his eight out-of-contract players they can look elsewhere.
Paul Heckingbottom, Craig Amstrong, Scott Gardner, Luke Jones, Michael Brough, Jon Challinor, Blair Sturrock and Ollie Hotchkiss have all been told there is nothing on offer for them right now though that may change depending on what Holdsworth is eventually given to spend by the board.
"We have no offers on the table for them," he said. "They are all good players and good people. But they can't hold on forever while there is uncertainty. But if we re-signed any of them it would be when we as a club are ready
"We wish them all the very best but I am not in a position to re-sign them. All of them gave 100 per cent effort on the field and trained impeccably.
"Whether they stay here or move on I hope they have success.
"They are now all out of contract, but if they request to come in and train here I won't decline them."
He added: "I am not here to talk about finance. I am working hard with the chairman to look at the structure for next season. I am sure the board will say what is necessary at the right time.
"I have not been given my budget yet. But I have a tremendous belief in the chairman. He always tries to do the right thing.
"I hope we can start making signings sooner rather than later. Timing is everything. I have a list of players and we will just have to see if they are still available when I can embrace them.
"I am working very hard behind the scenes, looking at different avenues. I know exactly where we need to strengthen.
"We are picking up the pieces, analysing things and looking to the future."
Other clubs are also eyeing up Stags players and Holdsworth said: "I have had a couple of enquiries about our players and we will have to see where that goes.
"But the players who are currently under contract will continue to work hard through May and June and will have a structure to work to.
"We are delighted with season ticket sales. We have sold over 700 already, the girls are very busy in the office and we have had a steady stream of fans in today again."
Stags release eight with a view to next season
Evening Post, April 30, 2010
EIGHT senior Mansfield Town players have been released because the club are still uncertain over next year's budget.
It was expected Paul Heckingbottom, Craig Armstrong and Scott Gardner would be shown the door after spending the latter stages of the season just finished out on loan.
Ollie Hitchkiss's future was also in serious doubt because he has been sidelined for lengthy spells with injury.
But Luke Jones, Michael Brough, Jon Challinor and Blair Sturrock have all featured significantly and their exits are more surprising.
Manager David Holdsworth felt it was only fair he gave those men a chance to get fixed up elsewhere, being unsure what finance is available.
"There were a number of players out of contract and we were in no position to extend them," he said.
"All those boys want to know their futures – and we can't keep holding on forever.
"I know some were eager to re-sign, probably all of them. If there is a chance of them re-joining us then that will be at a time when we are ready.
"They are all good players and people, but as a club we have to evaluate things.
"Not once have they let themselves down. They have always been professional."
Holdsworth says he has a list of targets to fill out the squad, expected to number around 19 senior professionals.
He said: "The budget has not been set yet, but I'm working hard with the chairman.
"Ultimately the club will make decisions on signings sooner rather than later.
"Everyone but the eight we've mentioned are signed on. I've had a couple of enquiries about contracted players, so I'm not saying that won't change.
Stags release eight as Holdsworth looks to future
Evening Post, April 29, 2010
MANSFIELD Town today released eight senior players as manager David Holdsworth began his plans for next season.
Defenders Craig Armstrong, Paul Heckingbottom, Scott Gardner and Luke Jones have been told they will not be offered a new contract.
Midfielders Michael Brough, Jon Challinor and Ollie Hotchkiss, as well as forward Blair Sturrock have also been let go.
Fringe players Jason Bradley and Grant Ryan have also been released.
"They are all good players and people but, as a club, we have to evaluate things," said Holdsworth.
Latest | May 2010