{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2010

18th March 2010 13:53

Mansfield Town 0 - 0 Tamworth
Attendance: 2,954 (93 from Tamworth)

Martin Shaw at Field Mill

On a windy afternoon at Field Mill, Mansfield Town completely failed to fire, and frustrated their fans as they drew a blank against Tamworth. Visiting keeper Alcock didn't have a testing save to make all game and the closest the Stags came was Kyle Nix's 87th minute shot which was goalbound before being deflected wide. At the other end, the Stags generally defended well, though former Stag Iyseden Christie hit the post and Rodman made an incredible miss when he allowed Mills to make a heroic goalline clearance. So the Stags dropped two points, and by my reckoning, we will need 8 wins from the final 10 games of the season, as a minimum, to make the play-offs. A win over York on Tuesday is essential.

Man of the Match: Michael Brough

Stagsnet player ratings in the Match Centre


report from http://www.thelambs.co.uk

A much needed point from the Field
FT: Mansfield Town 0 0 Tamworth
13 March 2010

On the back of two 1-0 reversals Gary Mills took his Lambs to face The Stags for the third time this season. Earlier in the campaign at Field Mill Tamworth had run out convincing 2-0 winners in the FA Trophy, while Mansfield turned the tables in early February with a 4-2 win at The Lamb.
Mills was without Michael Blackwood (injured) and Chris Smith (suspended) and made four changes to the midweek side and also saw ex- Nott'm Forest defender Aaron Mitchell take his first place in a Lambs line up.

After the pre-match formalities Lambs captain for the day Lyttle gathered the huddle and The Lambs kicked off into the wind but Mansfield won possession quickly and fired in a left wing cross which Alcock took at height.
A foul inside The Lambs half saw Mills chip the ball out of play unhindered then won a corner with a cross which was deflected behind off the head of the Lamb defence.
A miskicked clearance fell to Foster on 3 and he tried to beat Alcock from the halfway line, but floated his effort wide of the right hand upright.
Lyttle and Briscoe dealt with some Stags pressure down the left wing on 6 while at the other end, Sheridan tried to cut back into the box after Rodman's touch went wayward but was unable to control the ball or stop if going out of play.
A drilled cross from the right wing by Louis Briscoe on 11 was dealt with via a hefty boot from the Lambs defence and the same player found the top of the net with a lofted cross from a similar position on 14 as the home crowd booed Alcock for trying to make sure the ball didn't blow away when trying to take a goal kick.
Tamworth won a corner on 15 which Sheridan took right footed and Pritchard met with his head, but could only divert it over the bar, failing to test Marriott.
Mansfield then got one of their own which went long to Briscoe who fired a cross come shot in which his namesake headed behind for another flag kick which Alcock collected.
A foul in build up to a pass from the centre circle denied Christie a run at goal on 22 and a foul by Wylde halted his path into the penalty area with the ball bouncing around in front of him on 27 summing a poor game from both sides points of view so far.
An intentioned foul on Jay Smith 35 yards out lined up The Lambs with a dead ball chance on 28 which Michael Briscoe chipped onto the area and won a corner which Sheridan, now complete with head bandaged, took but The lambs were unable to create a chance.
On 34, Christie found a way to the edge of the area and struck the base of the post with a low drive which took a touch off Marriott on the way through and from the corner the ball fell to Briscoe, but he cleared the bar with his shot from 18 yards.
And as Mansfield pushed forward in the next move Nix missed a sitter as the ball bounced across the face of the goalmouth, then a minute later Pritchard took an air shot, Murdock missed his chance and when Rodman did strike for the open net Gary Mills denied with a last ditch clearance on the line.
Michael Briscoe conceded a corner on 39 which Tamworth broke from through Sheridan (now without bandage!) and he worked hard to get the ball back but was fouled in the process and the move broke down.
Briscoe denied another Briscoe cross threatening the Lambs goal on 42 with a telling header and a corner was won at the other end shortly before the fourth official indicated 2 minutes added time - but both flag kicks were wasted - and the first half drew to a goalless close.

HT: Mansfield Town 0 0 Tamworth

Mansfield kicked off the second half towards the 93 travelling Lambs fans and Sheridan once again wore his low head band - a hangover from his recent knock in training and a clash in the first half - and Tait unleashed a long range shot which rose over the bar from distance and was then, at the other end, forced to nod the ball away from danger and from the corner Foster headed a free chance wide of the left hand post.
Williams won a corner on the left on 51 which went short to Mills who hit a low shot and it deflected behind giving The Stags another flag kick. This time it worked its way to the other side and Briscoe floated a cross just onto the roof of the net with Alcock at full stretch.
Tamworth enjoyed a spell of unrewarded pressure around the hour mark but conceded a freekick on the right corner of their area on 61 and Foster headed over the bar with an effort in midflight.
Michael Briscoe took a tumble on the gravel behind Alcocks goal on 64 and stayed down for a prolonged period as play continued on the field and was unable to continue, handing Mitchell - nicknamed 'Crouchie' due to his height - his debut in a straight swap at the back.
Sheridan forced a corner on 68 which was aimed for Mitchell but cleared away and when Foster bore down on goal as Mansfield pushed on, Wylde made a good tackle to deny Foster a shooting chance.
Mills won a freekick on the right of the area by the byline on 73 after being sandwiched as he ran through but the deadball came to nothing.
Tait then reacted visibly, with arms raised, to Perry to earn both a booking on 74 and fellow substitute Burgess talked himself into the ref's notebook on 77.
Rodman was unlucky not to capitalise on a challenge on the edge of the Mansfield box on 80 and with the minutes ticking down the pace of the game quickened and gaps started to appear at the back of the home side, but no clear cut chances were forming .
Lyttle denied Perry at the far post on 87 and put his head in the way of a shot from Nix from the corner who then fired another shot in, but Alcock was untroubled and caught easily.
Three minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and sensing a hard earned point was not too far away Tamworth were in no mood to rush play too much.
Sheridan headed behind for Mansfield a corner on 92 and despite calls from the home fans to pack the box and look for a winner, nothing came for either side and the whistle blew .

Tamworth Team:
Alcock, Tait, Wylde, Murdock (Lake-Gaskin 70), Rodman, Pritchard, Sheridan, Lyttle, Briscoe M (Mitchell 66), Smith J, Christie
Subs: MacKenzie, Fankem, Shaw T

Mansfield Town Team:
Marriott, Mills, Briscoe L, Duffy (Sturrock 71), Shaw J (Perry 61), Williams (Burgess 57), Foster, Silk, Nicholas, Nix, Brough
Subs: Colley, Somner

Attendance: 2954

Referee: M Heywood


Stags 0,Tamworth 0, Saturday, 13th March 2010
CHAD.co.uk, 13 March 2010, By John Lomas
More precious play-off points slipped away as Stags were held to a scoreless draw at home to Tamworth this afternoon.
The Lambs had lost five of their six previous BSP outings yet, but for a struck post and a goal line clearance in the first half, could have actually pulled off a repeat of their FA Trophy win at Field Mill earlier this season.

Stags huffed and puADVERTISEMENTffed but Gary Mills' men defended superbly, having conceded four at home to Mansfield only last month.

There were very few real clear chances at either end though on 33 minutes Alan Marriott turned an Iyseden Christie effort onto a post and soon after Gary Mills denied his former club with a goal line clearance to thwart Alex Rodman.

It was at least a fifth game unbeaten for Mansfield but Tuesday night's visit of York City now turns into even more of a must-win scenario after this blank.

It was disappointing fare to watch for the host of former Stags stars and the family of Ian Greaves who were present to see the West Stand renamed after the legendary Stags boss.

Jon Challinor missed out with a knee injury. He was replaced in central midfield by Kyle Nix as Stags looked to extend their four-game unbeaten run against a Lambs side who had lost five of their last six BSP games.

Jake Speight it back in full training after his knee injury but was not considered fit enough to make the bench today though Andy Burgess was back in the 16 after suspension, injury and illness.

Keeper Alcock had to grab a dangerous Williams cross after just 25 seconds as Stags began on the front foot.

A Mansfield short corner then saw Williams pick out Duffy who headed straight at Alcock.

The keeper's clearance was poor and Nix tried to lift it back past him from over 40 yards but was comfortably wide of the goal.

How windy it was down at ptch level was underlined by the repeated attempts by Alcock to take a free kick with the wind moving the ball.

Tamworth's first corner on 15 minutes saw Sheridan cross to the near post and Pritchard send a stooping header wide.

Stags replied with two corners of their own, then Duffy again got a header on target from a Williams cross but again it was tame and straight to Alcock.

But former Stags star Christie almost broke the deadlock on 33 minutes as he poked a low shot at goal from 18 yards which Marriot just managed to touch onto his post and out for a corner.

Shaw then had to clear the flag kick away from just in front of the goal line and finally Michal Briscoe blazed the loose ball well over the bar from 16 yards.

Mansfield soon got the ball back into the Tamworth box where Duffy headed on across the face of goal from the left with Nix being policed well enough to make sure he couldn't reach it two yards from the line.

Sheridan did well to reach a ball destined for touch and pull back a cross that saw the supporting Pritchard completely miss his kick for his attempted finish.

The danger was not over and when the entire home defence failed to stem a Tamworth attack down the right and allowed the ball to trickle across the box, it finally rolled to Rodman who, with the goal at his mercy, saw Mills perform heroics in blocking it on the line, colliding heavily and painfully with the post in the process.

Brough's tenacity set off a Mansfield break down the right which saw Louis Briscoe put over a superb cross that namesake Michael had to head over from almost under his own bar.

But both sides had to be content with 0-0 at half-time with Gary Mills slightly the happier with his side's first half display, knowing he would have the wind advantage in the second half.

Tait tried to catch Marriott off guard with a curling shot from 30 yards inside the first minute of the second half that sailed on the wind over the far angle.

On 48 minutes a long Williams corner found Brough at the far post and his nod-back for Foster saw the Stags skipper unmarked from 10 yards guide a header wide of the left hand post.

Williams then slipped a short corner to Mills whose powerful drive at goal was deflected for another corner which was half-cleared three times before Briscoe finally crossed it into the top of the netting.

Tamworth continued to stand firm and on 57 minutes Stags made a change down the left where Burgess took over from Williams, he and Briscoe switching flanks.

And he almost carved out an opener from a 61st minute free kick which Brough headed just over the top.

Before the goalkick, Perry came on for Shaw up front for Mansfield.
Immediately he made a challenge on Michael Briscoe as he tried to see the ball out for a goalkick which left Briscoe floored behind the goal and the Lambs were down to 10 men for a time before he was replaced by Mitchell on 66 minutes.

Duffy's flick almost gave Perry a sniff of goal on the left but he was forced wide by Wylde who then did well to block the final shot for a corner.

Sturrock replaced Duffy's in Stags' final shuffle of the pack with 20 minutes left to find a winner.

A Burgess free kick from the right passed inches above the head of the incoming Brough right in front of goal as the frustration continued.

Perry and Tait were involved in a challenge right in front of the away bench which saw Tait angrily shove the Stags striker which might have earned a red card on another day but he escaped with a yellow and a lecture.

Burgess said something to the referee, presumably about the Perry incident, and was given a warning. But, when he made another remark seconds later earned himself a silly booking.

Sub Lake-Gaskin made a great break down the left from a long Alcock throw but, after getting into the box, saw the underworked Marriott down bravely at his feet to smother the ball.

Brough was then robbed by Rodman when dallying with the ball outside his box and he was grateful to centre back partner Foster for clearing ahead of the lurking Christie.

Foster made another great challenge to halt Christie and he tried to break clear on goal from 40 yards out but the Stags skipper was clearly in pain as he began to hobble for the second time in the game with all three subs on.

Mansfield finished strongly, winning two corners, Nix seeing a well-hit blast defect just over from the first and then sending a stinging shot straight at Alcock with the second.

Home fans were baying at Stags for not throwing more men forward for a stoppage time corner with four men back towards the centre circle.

And the final whistle brought some inevitable booing and a chant of 'what a load of rubbish' from some as the day ended in frustrating stalemate.

STAGS: Marriott; Silk, Foster, Brough, Nicholas; L. Briscoe, Nix, Mills, Williams (Burgess 57); Duffy (Sturock 71), Shaw (Perry 61). Subs not used: Collett, Somner.

TAMWORTH: Alcock; Lyttle, Wylde, M. Brisco (Mitchell 66), Tait; Rodman, Pritchard (Lake-Gaskin 70), Smith, Sheridan; Murdock, Christie. Subs not used: MacKenzie, Fankem, Shaw.

REFEREE: Mark Heywood of Northwich.

ATTENDANCE: 2,954 (93 away).

CAUTIONS: Mansfield – Burgess 76mins (dissent), Tamworth: Tait 74mins (foul).



Mansfield Town 0 Tamworth 0
Evening Post

MANSFIELD Town's fading play-off hopes took another blow as they were held to a goalless draw against lowly Tamworth today.


They had Gary Mills to thank for ensuring they went in at the break on level terms.
The midfielder somehow blocked Alex Rodman's thunderous shot on 37 minutes, an effort which looked certain to put the visitors ahead at Field Mill.
Mansfield had started brightly but failed to cause Tamworth any real problems and ex-Stag Iyseden Christie also went close, Alan Marriott tipping his low drive onto the post.
Luke Foster and Michael Brough both failed to hit the target with good chances for the Stags in the second half, putting headers wide and over respectively and Kyle Perry wasted a good chance when Rob Duffy put him clear.
STAGS: Marriott, Silk, Nicholas, Brough, Foster, L Briscoe, Nix, Mills, Williams (Burgess, 57), Duffy (Sturrock, 71), J Shaw (Perry, 61). Subs: Collett, Somner
TAMWORTH: Alcock, Lyttle, Tait, Wylde, M Briscoe (Mitchell, 66), Murdock (Lake-Gaskin, 70), Sheridan, Smith, Pritchard, Rodman, Christie. Subs: MacKenzie, Fankem, T Shaw, Lake-Gaskin.
Referee: Mark Heywood (Northwich)
Attendance: 2,954 (93 visitors)


Tamworth Herald:
Point apiece as Lambs face Mansfield Town
Thursday, March 18, 2010, 10:45Comment on this story

A POINT gained or two points dropped?
Unquestionably, prior to kick off Gary Mills would have been delighted with a goalless draw at Field Mill.
But, by 4.50pm on Saturday afternoon, you couldn't help feeling that this was a game Tamworth could, perhaps should, have won.
Not for the first time, they had some good chances. Not for the first time, they didn't take them.
Mansfield had Gary Mills – the player – to thank for ensuring they earned a point.
The midfielder somehow blocked Alex Rodman's thunderous shot on the line on 37 minutes when the former Nuneaton striker seemed destined to score.
Ex-Stag Iyseden Christie had earlier gone close as Alan Marriott tipped his low drive onto the post.
Two great chances for the Lambs – both got away.
The big plus though was Tamworth's patched-up defence.
The Lambs have defended superbly all season and coped manfully again on Saturday as Mansfield tried to pressure them with long balls and throws into the penalty area.
Former West Bromwich Albion defender Des Lyttle slotted back into the side magnificently.
The veteran never lets the club down when called upon.
Michael Wylde and Michael Briscoe, until he picked up an injury in the 66th minute, were again excellent as the Lambs coped well without influential skipper Chris Smith.
The hardworking efforts of Jay Smith and Jake Sheridan also deserve mention, as does Christie who again worked his socks off up front.
Mansfield did have their chances Kyle Nix missing a sitter in between Christie and Rodman's chances.
Luke Foster and Michael Brough both failed to hit the target with good chances for the Stags in the second half, putting headers wide and over respectively, and Kyle Perry also wasted a good opportunity when Rob Duffy put him clear.
But a Stags' goal would have been cruel on the Lambs who once again proved they can live with the best – and better them.
If only they could start to take their chances, any doubts over the possibility of relegation would be quickly put to bed.
Blue Square Conference Premier
Mansfield Town 0
Tamworth 0
TAMWORTH: Alcock, Lyttle, Tait, Wylde, M Briscoe (Mitchell, 66), Murdock (Lake-Gaskin, 70), Sheridan, Smith, Pritchard, Rodman, Christie. Subs not used: MacKenzie, Fankem, T Shaw, Lake-Gaskin. ATTENDANCE: 2,954 (93 from TFC). HERALD STAR MAN: Michael Wylde



Latest | March 2010