{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2009

15th October 2009 8:39

Blue Square Premier
Barrow 3 - 1 Mansfield Town
Walker 7, 50, Kamara 68. Nix 12.
Attendance: 1040 (112 from Mansfield)

Date: 29 September 2009


reports from Barrow email newsletter:
By Barrow Lad.

On a drizzly evening, a crowd of 1040 witnessed the finest Barrow performance
this season and a doubling of the home-goal tally in one match. Those who stayed
away missed a treat; those who came shouted even louder to spur Barrow on to a
memorable 3-1 victory, in which we outclassed Mansfield for long periods of the
game. Our goals were top drawer, all spectacular efforts from open play;
hopefully this will restore the team's confidence and we will start looking up
the table rather than down.

Mansfield kicked off towards the cross bar end. From the start Barrow went for
every ball, concentration being largely excellent throughout. Although we
conceded the first corner to thwart a dangerous Williams cross in the 4th
minute, within three minutes we had taken the lead. After a good Barrow build
up, Kamara crossed to Walker whose power shot from the edge of the penalty area
gave Marriott no chance. Six minutes 35 seconds and 1-0!

Mansfield immediately countered and we conceded a free kick in a dangerous
position from 18 yards. Just over four minutes after Barrow's opener, Nix
hammered the free kick into the top left corner of the net for the equalizer.
Impressively, Barrow continued on the attack and good work by Bond plus a
flick-on by walker found Shaw who shot just over the bar in the 18th minute.
Home debutant Kamara shot just wide in the 32nd minute. When Mansfield attacked
we defended every ball. In the 36th minute a Williams cross was punched out by
Tomlinson and then cleared by Pearson for a corner which the Barrow goalie also
punched away. In the 39th minute at the other end, an impressive build up by
Shaw and Walker resulted in a shot by Bond, bringing a good save from Marriott.
Two minutes later Walker was tripped by Garner when he was through on goal, the
referee deciding the challenge only merited a yellow card. Walker's free-kick
went just wide. Another two minutes on and Bond had a good shot saved. Barrow
continued to see out the first half on top as Spender fired just over the bar
from 20 yards on 45 minutes.

The question was - could Barrow continue their superb efforts for another 45
minutes. They could - and more! Pearson, drilled the ball forward from the kick
off and debutant Wainwright fired a low shot just past the left hand post. Only
20 seconds gone and Barrow were already causing Mansfield problems.

Just under five minutes into the half, Jason Walker unleashed one of his wonder
strikes. From fully 30 yards on the right wing, the half-volley thundered past
Marriott into the top of the goal for 2-1. Barrow conceded another dangerous
free kick in the 53rd minute but this time Nix's effort went just past the top
left corner of the goal. Three minutes later following a Mansfield corner,
Tomlinson made a good stop from Silk. Solid defensive work gave Barrow the
confidence from more attacks. Bond drilled a low shot straight at Marriott in
the 64th minute. Three minutes later following a Kamara throw, the ball came
back to the Sierra Leone international who shot from the edge of the penalty
area for 3-1. Another excellent goal!

Mansfield mounted further attacks but their efforts became more and more ragged,
Barrow now being in the ascendancy. Armstrong fired past Tomlinson's right hand
post in the 69th minute. In the 77th minute, Walker went off to an ovation,
being replaced by Rogan. A minute later, Speight hit the post from just inside
the penalty area, this being Mansfield's nearest effort of the half. In the 80th
minute, Barrow nearly got a fourth when a long range chip by Kamara was tipped
over the bar by Marriott for a corner. Four minutes later, he went off to
another ovation, being replaced by Rutherford. Mansfield threw everything at
Barrow in the final three or four minutes of extra time but all free kicks and
corners were all well cleared. We were worthy winners. It was a magnificent
performance, Jason Walker being awarded Man of the Match for two cracking goals.
However, the whole team were superb and made Mansfield look ordinary. If we play
like this on Saturday, Oxford will have a real game on their hands.

Leaving work tonight, I said I fancied Barrow to "do a Wigan" tonight after
their 3-1 win against Chelsea last Saturday. They did - with the same scoreline.
Barrow may still be in 17th place- but it's a much healthier 17th place!

Barrow: Tomlinson, Spender, Jelleyman, Jones, Pearson, Kamara (Rutherford 84),
Hulbert, Bond, Walker (Rogan 77), Shaw, Wainwright (Logan 88).
Goals: Walker (7, 50); Kamara (67).
Booked: Spender (90+4, foul on Williams).

Mansfield Town: Marriott, Armstrong, Graham (Istead 87), Garner, Silk, Nix,
Somner, Briscoe (Sturrock 55), Williams, Speight, Duffy (Perry 26).
Goal: Nix (11).
Booked: Graham (25, handball), Garner (41, foul on Walker).

By Scott Leslie

An excellent performance tonight and like the York game, we stopped the
opposition from playing by working hard, pressing them and forcing them into
errors. The difference tonight was we had more quality going forwards.
Wainwright and Kamara did more tonight than Rutherford and Logan have in all
other matches put together. They had movement, pace, strength and looked
threatening when they went forwards. Shaw and Walker linked up well and the
second goal was a brilliant hit from Walker, early goal of the season contender
and it came to him from a nice chest pass by Shaw. The first goal Walker scored
was well hit and gave the keeper no chance and Kamara's goal was well placed
into the bottom corner. Three very good finishes but I doubt we'll see a better
goal than Walkers second all season.

Mansfield had a spell early in the second half where they had a bit of
possession and towards the end of the first half but apart from hitting the post
they didn't create a lot. The only downside if there was one is that we didn't
keep a clean sheet. Mansfield scored with a well taken free kick into the top
corner but it was a stupid and needless challenge from Jones to give it away in
the first place. No one really had a bad game although Jones did give us his
usual four or five nervy moments, and even Andy Bond seemed to have a spring in
his step. Hulbert was excellent and did a lot of work in midfield but the main
difference was the pace and movement of the forwards. When we went forwards we
passed the ball quicker, sharper and the wide-men and forwards got more space
and could cause problems. I'd liked to have seen players run at their two centre
halves more often as they were both on yellow cards and looked very
uncomfortable and Luke Graham was lucky not to get a second yellow for pulling
back Walker.

Why they haven't played like this before is a mystery but hopefully we can keep
Kamara and Wainwright for a while and Shaw too. They make a massive difference
and give Walker the support and service he needs. The only concern would be if
any of those three left as the other options; Rutherford and Logan just aren't
up to it, they are too small and lightweight. Mansfield had some big strong
players in their team and on other occasions we would have been bullied by them
but not tonight. I wonder what Mr Holdsworth will be complaining about this


Walker inflicts away day pain on Stags
Evening Post report, September 29, 2009

JASON Walker almost joined Championship side Doncaster Rovers in the summer – and Mansfield Town must be wishing that he had.


The livewire striker was on trial at the Keepmoat Stadium and, though he was said to have impressed, he did not do quite enough to win a contract.
But that news did not disappoint the Bluebirds fans in the slightest – because that meant their jewel in the crown was staying at Holker Street.
Walker had already scored twice in two previous starts against Mansfield – a last-minute winner in Cumbria last season and a consolation in AFC's 4-1 defeat at Field Mill in August.
So he must have been licking his lips invitingly when he knew his return after a three-game absence with a hamstring injury was against David Holdsworth's men.
Barrow were without a win in seven games going into the clash but, with Walker behind much of their best work, certainly didn't play like it.
From Mansfield's viewpoint, it was a frustrating third away defeat in a row after two consecutive home victories.
For whatever reason, the Stags cannot produce that excellent form in front of their home supporters – where they are scoring for fun – on their travels.
It is a familiar problem from last season and one they will have to address if they want to secure the play-off place they crave.
Mansfield started brightly in the drizzle sweeping in off the Irish Sea but it was the home side who swept in front in the seventh minute as former Stags loanee Neil Wainwright came back to haunt them.
His cross from the left byline found Malvin Kamara whose header back across goal was smashed into the right-hand corner by Walker.
However, the Stags were not down for long as a terrific first goal of the season from Kyle Nix brought them level.
He was fouled right on the edge of the box by Paul Jones and picked himself up to curl an unstoppable shot into the top left-hand corner.
Barrow hit back, though, when the dangerous Wainwright got a knockdown for Jon Shaw, who flashed a drive just inches over.
Midway through the half, Saturday's hat-trick hero Rob Duffy was replaced by Kyle Perry after appearing to suffer a head injury.
AFC's Andy Bond twice fired wide of goal from distance before Ryan Williams' low, left-wing centre had to be hacked away by Mike Pearson after Stuart Tomlinson had fumbled.
Scott Garner was fortunate not to be shown a red card as half-time approached when he was outpaced by Walker and pulled back the striker.
Within seconds of the restart, Barrow had a golden chance to re-establish only for Shaw to pull his shot wide of the target.
But Barrow were back in front five minutes after the restart as Walker struck a magnificent second.
Shaw cushioned down a long ball forward and the ball bounced invitingly for the hitman who powered a 30-yard volley into the roof of goal.
Mansfield brought on Blair Sturrock for Louis Briscoe and went in search of an equaliser.
And they had two good chances in as many minutes soon after as first Speight tugged wide from Silk's pass and then Sturrock headed over from Williams' cross.
However, it was Barrow who scored the all-important third when Marriott could only punch as far as Kamara and he drilled into the left-hand corner.
Mansfield's luck was out in 77th minute when Speight exchanged passes with Williams before hitting the right-hand post.
It was as close they came to reducing the deficit and made for a very long and disappointing trip back to north Notts.


Barrow 3-1 Mansfield Town, Tuesday 29th September
29 September 2009, By Tim Morriss and John Lomas
MANSFIELD Town crumbled to another disappointing away defeat at Barrow's rain-swept Holker Street on Tuesday night.

Full story at CHAD.co.uk here

The lowly Bluebirds had only won once at home all season but were good value for this victory as Stags failed to keep the reins on two-goal home star Justin Walker.

It may not be an easy place to go. But Mansfield know that wet Tuesday nights at places like Barrow are where promotions are won and lost. And again they came up short.

Stags blew Barrow away 4-1 at home last month but last night were lucky to be level at the break with their only shot of the half, a superb Kyle Nix free kick wiping out Walker's seventh minute opener within four minutes.

But when Walker whipped home a wonder finish five minutes after the break and home debutant winger Malvin Kamara rifled home a third 17 minutes later there was no way back for David Holdsworth's men, although Jake Speight rattled a post on 77 minutes.

It was Barrow's first win in eight attempts to keep them out of the BSP drop zone while Stags must again lick their wounds and look to put things right at home to another struggling side, Forest Green Rovers this Saturday.

Stags boss David Holdsworth resisted the temptation to give the injured Rob Duffy a rest and bring Kyle Perry straight back in after suspension sticking instead to the side which beat Hayes and Yeading on Saturday.

But teenage keeper Ed Eley, signed on loan from Grimsby this morning, was brought onto the bench as cover.

That meant five players who had been an injury doubt all started as the Stags looked to end a run of three away matches without a win.

Barrow, without a win in seven, included former Stags defender Gareth Jelleyman as well as home debutant Neil Wainwright, who had a short spell on loan at Field Mill two seasons ago.

The game kicked off in heavy drizzle blowing in off the Irish Sea as Williams forced a fourth minute corner which was cleared.

Soon after a Nix cross from the left drifted onto the roof of the home net.

But it was home star striker Walker, just back from injury, who struck the opening blow on seven minutes.

Wainwright shuffled to his left out wide to send over a far post cross to an unmarked Kamara. His header struck a defender but rolled perfectly to Walker who lashed home from 10 yards.

Walker delayed a second too long just after when he might have had a shot and passed instead to Bond whose effort was blocked.

On 11 minutes a needless foul by Jones on Nix right on the white line of the penalty area in the D offered the Stags a quick reply.

And they accepted it in style as Nix stepped up to punish Jones with a superbly struck free unstopabble kick high to the keeper's right.

Silk headed away Barrow's first corner. But the home side compiled the sweetest of moves down the centre of the field on 18 minutes as they strung together half a dozen first time passes ending with Wainwright heading to Shaw who hooked a right foot shot just over the angle from 20 yards.

Marriott was lucky when he failed to hold the home side's second corner and saw it bounce back into his hands off the body of Walker.

Duffy went off for treatment after taking a bang on the head.

While down to 10 men Graham was booked on 25 minutes for deliberate handball as he lead with his hand when jumping with Hulbert.

While waiting for the free kick to be taken, Perry came on to replace the stricken Duffy. And when Spender launched the kick, Jones turned a header just over.

Bond was well wide after dragging a ridiculously ambitious shot wide form 40 yards as he tried to catch Marriott napping.

Bond came a little closer with another hopeful effort from 35 yards a few minutes later.

It was shoot on sight as Kamara then curled one wide of the near post from 30 yards,

Somner was lectured for leaving a foot in on Hulbert and a minute later Marriott left his box before Bond could reach a long ball forward.

Tomlinson failed to hold a low near post cross by Williams and Pearson slid in to clear for a corner. Then neat work from Walker set up Bond for a 20 yard shot straight to Marriott as a lively game ebbed and flowed.

Stags were relieved when Garner was only shown a yellow card as Walker turned him 25 yards from goal and was hauled back as he threatened to go clear.

Home fans were furious no red was shown and Walker was inches wide with the eventual free kick as the scored stayed level with both Mansfield centre halves now having been cautioned.

Garner could only head a long forward ball back as far as Bond on 44 minutes and his low shot skidded into the diving Marriott.

Almost from the kick-off at the start of the second half Pearson sent a long ball forward and Shaw got past two half-hearted challenges in the box before poking the ball wide of the far post.

Speight almost reached a through ball but as he tried to poke it past Tomlinson, but the keeper was in the way and an offside flag would have ruled it out anyway.

But when the ball was cleared upfield, Barrow roared ahead with a peach of a finish. Shaw nodded the high ball down for him and Walker looked up and smashed a 30 yard piledriver that whistled past a helpless Mariott.

Nix was well over from the same distance with a free kick as Mansfield looked for a way back.

The anonymous Briscoe was replaced by Sturrock on 55 minutes.

Immediately Mansfield forced two corners, the second cleared to Silk whose on-target shot was unconventionally punched off the line when Tomlinson could have caught it.

A good spell of pressure ended with Perry nodding wide from a Nix free kick.

Graham was given a final warning for wrestling Walker to the ground just outside the box and Bond sent a low free kick at the keeper.

In reply on 65 minutes Speight bundled a bobbling finish wide from Silk's pass and then Sturrock, with more time than he thought, headed just over from Williams' left wing cross.

But it was 3-1 on 67 minutes as Marriott punched the ball away to the edge of the box and Kamara instantly dispatched a superb low finish through everyone and into the net.

A minute later Nix was only just over from distance after bond lost possession. Then Garner volleyed over from 20 yards after showing good control on his thigh.

On 77 minutes Speight almost gave Stags a lifeline as he swapped passes with Williams and, with time and space 20 yards out, saw his finish come back off the right hand post.

Kamara almost beat Marriott with a high dipping first time finish from 25 yards on the right which almost crept under the far angle until the keeper tipped it over.

Stags kept going and Speight was again on target with five minutes left, Tomlinson gathering his low shot.

In the final minute Speight tried to send Perry between two defenders and, despite being buffeted on both sides, he still managed to poke a low finish wide.

The five minutes of added time saw Spender booked for felling Williams, two Mansfield corners and Garner flattened by Tomlinson as he left his line to make a superb punch but nothing more to help Stags forget a miserable night in Cumbria.

BARROW: Tomlinson, Spender, Jelleyman, Jones, Pearson, Kamara, Hulbert, Bond, Walker, Shaw, Wainwright. Subs: Deasy, Logan, Rutherford, Dugdale, Rogan.

STAGS: Marriott; Silk, Garner, Graham, Armstrong; Briscoe, Nix, Somner, Williams; Speight, Duffy. Subs: Gardner, Sturrock, Istead, Eley, Perry.

REFEREE: Paul Davison from Cleveland.


Latest | October 2009