{ the news }
 
Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Archived News from February 2009

CRAWLEY APPEAL:POINTS DEDUCTION REDUCED TO 1 POINT
27th February 2009 16:32


http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/argusgeneralsportsnews/4160933.Reds__points_appeal_success/

Reds' points appeal success
2:24pm Friday 27th February 2009
By Bruce Talbot »

Crawley will only be deducted one point for fielding an ineligible player after a successful hearing at the Football Association today.

The club were originally docked four points after it emerged that they had not registered striker Isaiah Rankin.

But at an appeal in London they successfully argued that the punishment was too stringent, based on the criteria applied to two other clubs Oxford and Bognor, who had five and seven points respectively deducted.

Conference rules state that a point must be deducted for every game an ineligible player starts.

In Rankin's case that was just a single point. The other three were added for four substitute appearances totalling seven minutes before the registration error came to light in December.

Chairman Vic Marley said: ""We are all delighted that justice has prevailed. We were given a full and fair hearing.

"At this stage I must thank our barrister Adam Lewis for presenting our case which we knew from the outset was strong.

"I will now take time to reflect on this decision, speak with my fellow board members, take advice once again from Adam Lewis and then issue a full statement in due course.

"That will in turn educate our supporters, players and staff who after all are the most important people in all of this."

------------

http://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/news/BREAKING-NEWS-Crawley-Town-win.5024791.jp

BREAKING NEWS: Crawley Town win appeal against points deduction
27 February 2009
By Warren Fiveash
REDS boss Steve Evans said 'justice had been served' after Crawley Town won their appeal against a four point deduction in the Blue Square Premier today.
The Reds were hit with the deduction in January after fielding an ineligible player in the league at the start of the season.

But at an FA hearing today the penalty was reduced to just one point giving Crawley a real chance of making the playoff places this season.

The football club's appeal was headed by barrister Adam Lewis and attended by Chairman Vic Marley, Directors Susan Carter, Steve Mansell and Barry Munn at the Football Association's headquarters in Soho Square.

Reds boss Steve Evans said: "Justice has been served. We felt harshly treated but we went through the various stages in a professional manner with an outstanding barrister. The chairman and board were always confident that we would get this result.

"The playoff race is now very much on and we are still in with a chance.

"Fans will be delighted to hear the news and will come as a tremendous boost this evening."

Chairman Vic Marley added: "We are all delighted that justice has prevailed. We were given a full and fair hearing.

"At this stage I must thank our Barrister Adam Lewis for presenting our case which we knew from the outset was strong.

"I will now take time to reflect on this decision, speak with my fellow board members, take advice once again from Adam Lewis and then issue a full statement in due course.

"That will in turn educate our supporters, players and staff who after all are the most important people in all of this."

Town were deducted four points for fielding an ineligible player, Isaiah Rankin, in a match in August which they drew 1-1 away with Stevenage Borough.

Rankin also came on a couple of other times as a late substitute and didn't score any goals. He only started the one game.

The rules allow the Conference to deduct all the points earned in games started and can add others at their discretion.

Oxford Utd (five points), Bognor Regis and Mansfield Town have also lost points for the same reason, but Reds officials belive they were harshly treated as their players appeared several times and even scored.

Crawley have now been deducted 20 points over the last four seasons.

The appeal case lasted over four hours as both Crawley Town Football Club and The Football Conference presented their evidence to the three man FA Appeal board.

-------------

 

Latest | February 2009